Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets Talk About Heavy Impact

Slurmageddon

250px-HeavyImpact.jpg

For anyone who hasn't had this mod or had a go of using it, it's pretty awesome. In fact if you're someone who prefers lighter melee weapons that don't have big AoE ground-slams its perfect for you because you don't have to lose out on a valuable ground attack just because you don't wanna carry a big axe around.

So I SHOULD want to recommend it, but the problem is that in order to use it you need to jump from a height that just doesn't appear very often in the game and almost never in standard combat situations. Which means that a really cool mod idea sort of just goes to waste.

A way to fix this problem and make it actually viable in combat (and therefore worth its 9pts of mod-space) would be to make its effect not height dependent but momentum dependent.

ie. It can be activated by falling from a sufficient height, OR by performing a jump attack off a much shorter height.

So I could have the mod activate by: 

A) running up a wall until I slow down my ascent then backflip (the current rule of thumb of how to activate it)

B) jumping from an elevated platform (or worm-holing into the air if you're Nova)

C) getting to a slightly elevated position like off of some crates or something and performing a jump attack

EDIT:

D) it has been confirmed to also work with Vauban's bounce

Thoughts ? 

Suggestions ?

Edited by Santaphrax

It is a fun little niché mod, unfortunately like all other fun little niché mods your Warframe mod slots are too limited for you to mess around with them.

EDIT: It is, like, which would you rather pick?

Focus or Heavy Impact?

Vitality or Heavy Impact?

Continuity or Heavy Impact?

Redirection or Heavy Impact?

Far too many "requried" mods to keep your mod slots occupied.

Edited by Brimir

It is a fun little niché mod, unfortunately like all other fun little niché mods your Warframe mod slots are too limited for you to mess around with them.

My thoughts exactly, that's why I'd like for it to be made useful. Fun and useful is a combo that never fails !

just me being ignorant... but what you describe... isn't that how it is SUPPOSED to be working?

i take it that it's not very good right now?

honestly kinda scratching my head about why it's a warframe mod currently =/

back pre mod-cards we had like 10ish mod slots on our frames (not counting powers), so we had plenty of room for things like more hp/shield/armor/melee dmg/etc

now with the cards and really only 6 slots for mods to work with, putting a very limited melee jump atk function doesnt seem like great use of the space =[

I agree Brimir, it's an unfortunate reality with this game.

I had this mod on my Nova (only because I had nothing else to put there, and plenty of mods slots to fill), and I must admit it is fun to use, but as OP said, it's not very often that you can use it -practically.

I like your idea of jump-attack activation rather than running up walls and such, it would make it much more viable all around and help shift it out of the niche status.

Its not bad. Although why is it a mod and not automatic thing when falling from higher heights? This obviously is highly situational for high platforms or Excalibur, Vauban or Nova only, which have skills to get high in the air. But then again... is it worth sacraficing a mod slot, mostly occupied by ability or survival? Nope, sadly it is not.

just me being ignorant... but what you describe... isn't that how it is SUPPOSED to be working?

i take it that it's not very good right now?

honestly kinda scratching my head about why it's a warframe mod currently =/

back pre mod-cards we had like 10ish mod slots on our frames (not counting powers), so we had plenty of room for things like more hp/shield/armor/melee dmg/etc

now with the cards and really only 6 slots for mods to work with, putting a very limited melee jump atk function doesnt seem like great use of the space =[

Youre right, 9pts of mod space and an entire card slot of its own is a high cost even with my proposed changes. 

Personally if I run it I swap it in for my continuity card which means my Rhino-Charge is a bit shorter so... I don't actually sacrifice much. But someone else could be sacrificing a lot more for the sake of a jump attack.

Edited by Santaphrax

I look at it as a novelty item. You only bring it out for "Ships and Giggles" 

Unfortunately, there are a lot of mods that fit this category and a bunch more that don't even make the the category.

I think DE should have gotten rid of Vitality & Redirection (and maybe some of the other I'm a tank mods) when Warframes where given passive gains while ranking up. 

I use it on my excalibur all the time,everytime i superjump, i do 250+ damage when i fall, for just 10 energy (10 energy for 250+ AoE is nice )

I prefer this mod over flow/streamline on excalibur, but on anything else, its useless.

( Excalibur with focus increases superjump height if you didn't know )

Having real fun with Nova and heavy Impact ATM.

Place your wormhole straight up in the air, and you keep going through it, gaining momentum.

Your third or fourth attempt of going through, you go so fast you go through the wormhole, landing with heavy impact working!

It's so time consuming but so fun!

I look at it as a novelty item. You only bring it out for "Ships and Giggles" 

Unfortunately, there are a lot of mods that fit this category and a bunch more that don't even make the the category.

I think DE should have gotten rid of Vitality & Redirection (and maybe some of the other I'm a tank mods) when Warframes where given passive gains while ranking up. 

So basically get rid of the only mods keeping Loki alive? No thank you. Any glass character must have these or there might as well not be in the game even at level 30.