Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Despair Vs Snipetron Vandal

GodParticle

You guys really need to use better formulas for your DPS calculations. Here are some completely unmodded DPS calculations:

As you can see, the Lanka is by far the best, followed by Despair, and then the Snipetron Vandal trails far behind both.

Want to know where I got these numbers?  Check out the DPS Calculator post pinned in the Players Helping Players subforum.

The topic is what weapon is better "V-snipetron or despair" It has nothing to do with Lanka. No one question that Despair has higher DPS unless they fail at math V-snipetron can do far higher single hit shots that is NOT debatable.

Better does not mean DPS(vague choice of a word) it could mean better color or functionally better.

Edit: Posting math of base stats for a critical hit weapon is about as useless as posting something that tells people the sky is blue.

Edited by LazyKnight

The topic is what weapon is better "V-snipetron or despair" It has nothing to do with Lanka. No one question that Despair has higher DPS unless they fail at math V-snipetron can do far higher single hit shots that is NOT debatable.

Better does not mean DPS(vague choice of a word) it could mean better color or functionally better.

Edit: Posting math of base stats for a critical hit weapon is about as useless as posting something that tells people the sky is blue.

I posted them because the rest of the posters were using unmodded values.

When you build both of them out fully these are the stats:

Despair

Damage :: 2540.032

Crit Damage :: 3810.048

Average Damage :: 3175.04

DPS :: 15711.856

Name :: Despair

Magazine Size :: 14

Total Ammo :: 224

Crit Chance :: 2.5%

Crit Damage Multiplier :: 150%

Fire Rate :: 9.082 rounds per second

Reload Time :: 0.75 seconds

Damage Shields :: 2787.84

Damage Corpus :: 3097.6

Damage Grineer :: 2540.032

Damage Infested :: 3097.6

Crit Damage to Shields :: 4181.76

Crit Damage to Corpus :: 4646.4

Crit Damage to Grineer :: 3810.048

Crit Damage to Infested :: 4646.4

Average Damage to Shields :: 3484.8

Average Damage to Corpus :: 3872

Average Damage to Grineer :: 3175.04

Average Damage to Infested :: 3872

Damage per Mag :: 36004.954

Damage per Mag to Shields :: 39517.632

Damage per Mag to Corpus :: 43908.48

Damage per Mag to Grineer :: 36004.954

Damage per Mag to Infested :: 43908.48

DPS to Shields :: 17244.72

DPS to Corpus :: 19160.801

DPS to Grineer :: 15711.856

DPS to Infested :: 19160.801

Burst DPS :: 23355.899

Burst DPS to Shields :: 25634.523

Burst DPS to Corpus :: 28482.804

Burst DPS to Grineer :: 23355.899

Burst DPS to Infested :: 28482.804

Snipetron Vandal

Damage :: 1762.25

Crit Damage :: 9304.68

Average Damage :: 5533.465

DPS :: 7377.953

Name :: Snipetron Vandal

Magazine Size :: 6

Total Ammo :: 78

Crit Chance :: 50%

Crit Damage Multiplier :: 528%

Fire Rate :: 2.4 rounds per second

Reload Time :: 2 seconds

Damage Shields :: 2328.688

Damage Corpus :: 2328.688

Damage Grineer :: 1762.25

Damage Infested :: 1762.25

Crit Damage to Shields :: 12295.47

Crit Damage to Corpus :: 12295.47

Crit Damage to Grineer :: 9304.68

Crit Damage to Infested :: 9304.68

Average Damage to Shields :: 7312.079

Average Damage to Corpus :: 7312.079

Average Damage to Grineer :: 5533.465

Average Damage to Infested :: 5533.465

Damage per Mag :: 33200.79

Damage per Mag to Shields :: 43872.473

Damage per Mag to Corpus :: 43872.473

Damage per Mag to Grineer :: 33200.79

Damage per Mag to Infested :: 33200.79

DPS to Shields :: 9749.438

DPS to Corpus :: 9749.438

DPS to Grineer :: 7377.953

DPS to Infested :: 7377.953

Burst DPS :: 13280.316

Burst DPS to Shields :: 17548.989

Burst DPS to Corpus :: 17548.989

Burst DPS to Grineer :: 13280.316

Burst DPS to Infested :: 13280.316

As you can see, the Despair's advantages become even more pronounced when you fully mod them out due to the utter unbalanced nature of pistol mods.  There really is no reason to use the Snipetron Vandal when there are other options unfortunately.

Well, lets see...

On one side, we have what is generally agreed to be the second-best sidearm in the game, in a game where sidearms have the best mods. On the other side, we have the second best sniper in the game, in a game where there is not enough sniper ammo and mediocre rifle mods.

Yes, the better weapon is the one more fitted for the situation. Despair is ridiculously good at close to mid range, but is next to useless if you want to fire it across a hallway. Snipetron Vandal is great for sniping, but subpar when you're getting rushed by mobs. But from a "blanket situation" point of view, you're much more likely going to make more out of Despair, simply because most encounters in the game is within close to mid range.

As you can see, the Despair's advantages become even more pronounced when you fully mod them out due to the utter unbalanced nature of pistol mods.  There really is no reason to use the Snipetron Vandal when there are other options unfortunately.

Thank you,

About the only way I see Vandal coming close is if 4 people use the amp mod at max rank 27%x 4=108%. It would be nice if they removed AMP and buffed serration and split chamber. It I am fairly confident they are not equalizing the damage mods because of the aura the primaries have. This annoys me because it is rare for people to use AMP over energy siphon.

This is why I do not like auras that add damage and the only way that primaries are even remotely instep with secondary is with 4x AMP or corrosive projection x4. 

Thank you,

About the only way I see Vandal coming close is if 4 people use the amp mod at max rank 27%x 4=108%. It would be nice if they removed AMP and buffed serration and split chamber. It I am fairly confident they are not equalizing the damage mods because of the aura the primaries have. This annoys me because it is rare for people to use AMP over energy siphon.

This is why I do not like auras that add damage and the only way that primaries are even remotely instep with secondary is with 4x AMP or corrosive projection x4. 

You should have a look at the Ash profile they put on Youtube. You'll see some new auras and mods, including "Pistol Amp".

Edit: Because Acrid and Despair desperately need yet another buff... <.<

Edited by 101blubb

Despair

Name :: Despair

Magazine Size :: 14

Total Ammo :: 224

Crit Chance :: 2.5%

Crit Damage Multiplier :: 150%

Fire Rate :: 9.082 rounds per second

Reload Time :: 0.75 seconds

Damage Shields :: 2787.84

Damage Corpus :: 3097.6

Damage Grineer :: 2540.032

Damage Infested :: 3097.6

Crit Damage to Shields :: 4181.76

Crit Damage to Corpus :: 4646.4

Crit Damage to Grineer :: 3810.048

Crit Damage to Infested :: 4646.4

Average Damage to Shields :: 3484.8

Average Damage to Corpus :: 3872

Average Damage to Grineer :: 3175.04

Average Damage to Infested :: 3872

Damage per Mag :: 36004.954

Damage per Mag to Shields :: 39517.632

Damage per Mag to Corpus :: 43908.48

Damage per Mag to Grineer :: 36004.954

Damage per Mag to Infested :: 43908.48

DPS to Shields :: 17244.72

DPS to Corpus :: 19160.801

DPS to Grineer :: 15711.856

DPS to Infested :: 19160.801

Burst DPS :: 23355.899

Burst DPS to Shields :: 25634.523

Burst DPS to Corpus :: 28482.804

Burst DPS to Grineer :: 23355.899

Burst DPS to Infested :: 28482.804

Snipetron Vandal

Name :: Snipetron Vandal

Magazine Size :: 6

Total Ammo :: 78

Crit Chance :: 50%

Crit Damage Multiplier :: 528%

Fire Rate :: 2.4 rounds per second

Reload Time :: 2 seconds

Damage Shields :: 2328.688

Damage Corpus :: 2328.688

Damage Grineer :: 1762.25

Damage Infested :: 1762.25

Crit Damage to Shields :: 12295.47

Crit Damage to Corpus :: 12295.47

Crit Damage to Grineer :: 9304.68

Crit Damage to Infested :: 9304.68

Average Damage to Shields :: 7312.079

Average Damage to Corpus :: 7312.079

Average Damage to Grineer :: 5533.465

Average Damage to Infested :: 5533.465

Damage per Mag :: 33200.79

Damage per Mag to Shields :: 43872.473

Damage per Mag to Corpus :: 43872.473

Damage per Mag to Grineer :: 33200.79

Damage per Mag to Infested :: 33200.79

DPS to Shields :: 9749.438

DPS to Corpus :: 9749.438

DPS to Grineer :: 7377.953

DPS to Infested :: 7377.953

Burst DPS :: 13280.316

Burst DPS to Shields :: 17548.989

Burst DPS to Corpus :: 17548.989

Burst DPS to Grineer :: 13280.316

Burst DPS to Infested :: 13280.316

thanks! Laughed so much. Could you please show how did you calculate your possible damage per shot for both weapons? 2560 for despair and 1762 for snipedal looks like fake,

DPS doesn't mean anything significant to a sniper anyhow; damage per hit is much more important.

So much this^

SV isn't a dps weapon cause it isn't used to burn down targets, its used to 1-shot things into dust. Despair are a DPS weapon because you can actually use them to burn down targets. So to go back to the point a few people have pointed out; this comparison is meaningless because you're comparing apples to oranges here.

More valid comparison would be lex to SV. You know, because those weapons actually have the same functionality.

P.S. Can anyone enlighten me why everyone has a stiff one for "DPS" in games these days? Its rather strange that even in a shooter of all things people would forget that It doesn't always matter how quickly you can throw up some big numbers, but how effective, and efficient your damage is in comparison to other options. You can look at numbers as much as you want, how the weapon performs in use is a different matter entirely.

The one thing that Lanka cannot do is drop speed trigger for sniper ammo mutation then have infinite ammo. V-Snipetron is also very fast and if you are a twitch reflex gamer, few weapons are faster when dealing with many smaller units. I do not care about overkill number, I stopped using bows because of the charge before every shot and final damage numbers lose to the annoying factors. I might get Lanka anyway but it will end up like my dread collecting dust.

On-topic: For what is better with these two weapons, I follow a simple rule, if target dies in one shot use Snipetron if takes 2 use despair. I pair them often because they synergize well in close and long range fighting I swap weapon on the fly.

Actually, it's possible to equip a super-charged, 3 Forma'd Lanka with both Speed Trigger and Sniper Ammo Mutation:

Split Chamber (8)

Serration (7)

Piercing Hit (5)

Speed Trigger (9)

Vital Sense (9)

Point Strike (9)

Hammer Shot (9)

Sniper Ammo Mutation (4)

So much this^

SV isn't a dps weapon cause it isn't used to burn down targets, its used to 1-shot things into dust. Despair are a DPS weapon because you can actually use them to burn down targets. So to go back to the point a few people have pointed out; this comparison is meaningless because you're comparing apples to oranges here.

More valid comparison would be lex to SV. You know, because those weapons actually have the same functionality.

P.S. Can anyone enlighten me why everyone has a stiff one for "DPS" in games these days? Its rather strange that even in a shooter of all things people would forget that It doesn't always matter how quickly you can throw up some big numbers, but how effective, and efficient your damage is in comparison to other options. You can look at numbers as much as you want, how the weapon performs in use is a different matter entirely.

People want stuff killed faster, and in general, having more DPS does that.

tfw comparing a sniper weapon to a DPS weapon...

Also a note, Gott's DPS calculator uses multiplicative stacking on mods, so its pistol values are almost certainly inflated when modded. Unless he changed it recently (multishot definitely stacks additively, just to name one).

However, even if that was not the case, comparing the DPS of a sniper weapon to anything is even more full-retard than comparing the flavor of an orange to the chemical properties of linoleum.

Sniper weapons are not DPS weapons. They're one-shot-one-kill weapons. They serve a completely different role.

As to the OP, do you want a DPS weapon or a Sniper weapon. I can't answer that for you.

However if you were to force me to, I'd say Lanka.

Actually, it's possible to equip a super-charged, 3 Forma'd Lanka with both Speed Trigger and Sniper Ammo Mutation:

Split Chamber (8)

Serration (7)

Piercing Hit (5)

Speed Trigger (9)

Vital Sense (9)

Point Strike (9)

Hammer Shot (9)

Sniper Ammo Mutation (4)

Missing cryo rounds, shields will actually eat your damage dealt. Not as noticeable without doing a headshot (2-4 damage per point of shield lost) or sonarshot (6.5-9.75 points of damage per point of shield lost).

Also, as normal... Ammo Mutator just saves you from needing Ammo Packs. In other words, outside of EHWD (not even *normal* HWD) you won't ever actually need it for a Lanka. And since credits have no value... just buy ammo packs lol

Edited by TheBlueJelly

thanks! Laughed so much. Could you please show how did you calculate your possible damage per shot for both weapons? 2560 for despair and 1762 for snipedal looks like fake,

For those wondering what formulas that I'm using to calculate this data, here's the basics:

Bullet(or chunk) damage = ((x*y)+((x*y)*f)+((x*y)*i)+((x*y)*e)+((x*y)*a))*m

• x is base damage(or damage per chunk for continuous weapons)
  • y is the base damage multiplier in decimal (serration, hornet strike, ect...)
  • f is the total fire damage multiplier in decimal
  • i is the total ice damage multiplier in decimal
  • e is the total electrical damage multiplier in decimal
  • a is the total armor pierceing damage multiplier in decimal
  • m is 1 + the multishot multiplier in decimal
Crit Damage = d*c
  • d is the damage calculated above
  • c is the crit multiplier in decimal
Fire Rate = f*m
  • f is the base fire rate
  • m is the fire rate multiplier in decimal
Iteration Time = (m/f)+r
  • m is the magazine size
  • f is the adjusted fire rate
  • r is the reload time
Iteration Damage = ((x-(y*x)*d)+((y*x)*c)
  • x is the toal magaize size or fire-time for continuous weapons
  • y is the crit rate in decimal
  • d is the calculated non-crit damage
  • c is the calculated crit damage
Iterations per Minute = 60/i
  • i is the total iteration time calculated above
Damage per Minute = i*n
  • i is the calculated iteration damage
  • n is the calcualted number of iterations in a minute
Damage per Second = d/60
  • d is the calculated damage per minute
Note that burst damage does not factor reload time into the iteration, but is otherwise calculated the same.

There are a lot more formulas being used, but this should get you started.

Seems to me there is no reason to use the Lanka either, Lanka and Snipetron Vandal both have 20% critical chance and 150% critical damage so I guess they ought to scale exactly the same way with mods. 

That means the Lanka has roughly 17% percent higher DPS when you take reload time into account (which I didn't) which puts Lanka's DPS 8682 still not much more than half of Despair's DPS.

You might as well say all Snipers are useless cause the Lanka's DPS isn't that much higher than Snipetron Vandal. 17% more DPS at the cost of giving up Puncture, hitscan and being able to fire instantly instead of charging up your shots. Probably better to just bring an Ogris or Torid as your primary weapon.

Missing cryo rounds, shields will actually eat your damage dealt. Not as noticeable without doing a headshot (2-4 damage per point of shield lost) or sonarshot (6.5-9.75 points of damage per point of shield lost).

Also, as normal... Ammo Mutator just saves you from needing Ammo Packs. In other words, outside of EHWD (not even *normal* HWD) you won't ever actually need it for a Lanka. And since credits have no value... just buy ammo packs lol

I have 4 spare points, so why not add an ammo mutator? +tongue

It's impossible to fit a max Cryo Rounds without polarizing twice more, which annoys me because I like odd numbers of stars and because the extra polarizations feel like a complete waste outside of min/maxing. While I understand that I'm technically not reaching my full damage potential, I'm not putting that much work to fit in one more mod that you said yourself isn't noticeable when aiming for weak points. That's also why I've stopped at 2 Formas for the Flux Rifle (which actually needs 4 additional polarizations to fit in another element at maximum rank).

Seems to me there is no reason to use the Lanka either, Lanka and Snipetron Vandal both have 20% critical chance and 150% critical damage so I guess they ought to scale exactly the same way with mods. 

That means the Lanka has roughly 17% percent higher DPS when you take reload time into account (which I didn't) which puts Lanka's DPS 8682 still not much more than half of Despair's DPS.

You might as well say all Snipers are useless cause the Lanka's DPS isn't that much higher than Snipetron Vandal. 17% more DPS at the cost of giving up Puncture, hitscan and being able to fire instantly instead of charging up your shots. Probably better to just bring an Ogris or Torid as your primary weapon.

Once again, sniping weapons focus on damage per hit, not DPS. The Lanka deals anywhere from 0% to 100% more damage per shot on enemies compared to the Snipetron Vandal. The Lanka has semi-puncture, practical hitscan, and a short charging time (0.6 seconds). However, if you wanted DPS, i's certainly better to bring an Ogris or Torid.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

I'm not gonna say Snipetron Vandal is better than Lanka but I think you're underestimating it. 

+No charge mechanic

+Hitscan = much easier to hit distant moving targets

+Puncture mods work

Lanka has 1.5s charge time, Snipetron Vandal has 1.5 fire rate. Does 1.5 fire rate mean 1.5 shots per second? If it does that give it 0.67s reload unmodded. That almost sounds too good though cause if that is true, then it's base DPS is 125 damage / 0.67s = 186,6 DPS while the Lanka gets 250 damage / 1.5s = 166,7 DPS. Hmm...

Personally I don't like the Lanka. Unless it gets puncture I'll never use it. Snipetron Vandal is much less annoying to use, mainly because of the good old "pull trigger bullet instantly hits enemy in the face" mechanic. (if you aim correctly)

I don't do high wave endless defense which is probably what the Lanka is best suited for.

Using DPS to compare two burst-damage weapons makes as much sense as the comparison OP tried to make.

Vandaltron and Lanka serve a specific purpose: killing a target in one shot.

Lanka has twice the damage. And a better element.

So Lanka is twice as good.

Using DPS to compare two burst-damage weapons makes as much sense as the comparison OP tried to make.

Vandaltron and Lanka serve a specific purpose: killing a target in one shot.

Lanka has twice the damage. And a better element.

So Lanka is twice as good.

Technically, Armor Piercing is more preferred than Serrated Blade, but the Lanka has such high base damage that at best, the Snipetron Vandal will match it in damage per shot (and that's only on Corpus Crewman heads!).

Edited by ChaoticVice777

For nearly every NPC in game that matters for head shots AP is undisputed best damage type(lanka high base lets that 60% mod give it a lot). For general effectiveness of the damage types: AP>serrated blade>poison>Physical impact

Edited by LazyKnight

For nearly every NPC in game that matters for head shots AP is undisputed best damage type(lanka high base lets that 60% mod give it a lot). For general effectiveness of the damage type AP>serrated blade>poison>Physical impact

Well, the Acrid (not sure on the Torid) can stack the DOTs, making that form of Poison be even better than Armor Piercing.

Edited by ChaoticVice777

Well, the Acrid (not sure on the Torid) can stack the DOTs, making that form of Poison be even better than Armor Piercing.

Its not better I am only talking about modifier effectiveness. If you could stack something that did AP damage as a dot it would do a heck of a lot more since many thing take x1.5 damage from it. Acrid just stacks itself, but nothing has a modifier poison damage.

Edited by LazyKnight

Its not better I am only talking about modifier effectiveness. If you could stack something that did AP damage as a dot it would do a heck of a lot more since many thing take x1.5 damage from it. Acrid just stacks itself but nothing has a modifier poison damage.

Then you should have claimed that the best damage type is based on modifier effectiveness. Poison is currently more effective damage than Armor Piercing thanks to its stacking, which no other damage type can do.

I have 4 spare points, so why not add an ammo mutator? +tongue

It's impossible to fit a max Cryo Rounds without polarizing twice more, which annoys me because I like odd numbers of stars and because the extra polarizations feel like a complete waste outside of min/maxing. While I understand that I'm technically not reaching my full damage potential, I'm not putting that much work to fit in one more mod that you said yourself isn't noticeable when aiming for weak points. That's also why I've stopped at 2 Formas for the Flux Rifle (which actually needs 4 additional polarizations to fit in another element at maximum rank).

Even a rank 0 Cryo Rounds (4 points) is gonna give you a huge return, putting (depending on Serration, Vital Sense, and Hammer Shot) between 75-198 (non-crit) and 112-834 (crit) shield points down per rank. Double it again for how much health damage that adds on headshot (which you should always be striving for), or multiply by 6.5 for a sonar shot.

I said it's only really noticeable *when* aiming for weak points, because of the multiplier weakpoints apply post-shield causing the shield to have a higher per-point value than the health itself (awkward, I know).

Also, even one rank add the CC effect. This is all part of why Cold's the only damage mod I strive to have one of every rank on.

Edited by TheBlueJelly

Even a rank 0 Cryo Rounds (4 points) is gonna give you a huge return, putting (depending on Serration, Vital Sense, and Hammer Shot) between 75-198 (non-crit) and 112-834 (crit) shield points down per rank. Double it again for how much health damage that adds on headshot (which you should always be striving for), or multiply by 6.5 for a sonar shot.

I said it's only really noticeable *when* aiming for weak points, because of the multiplier weakpoints apply post-shield causing the shield to have a higher per-point value than the health itself (awkward, I know).

Also, even one rank add the CC effect. This is all part of why Cold's the only damage mod I strive to have one of every rank on.

...curse my mis-interpretation. Anyhow, I'll consider using Cryo Rounds, but it's hard to give up never having to bring ammo boxes.

Then you should have claimed that the best damage type is based on modifier effectiveness. Poison is currently more effective damage than Armor Piercing thanks to its stacking, which no other damage type can do.

I said general effectiveness sorry for not saying modifier effectiveness.

All the Dot weapon are broken OP because DE went for the infinite stacking method as opposed to refreshing dot or chance activation method. Infinitly stacking Dot that are only limited by fire rate are the most effective type of DPS bar none and makes all other DPS weapon pointless.

...curse my mis-interpretation. Anyhow, I'll consider using Cryo Rounds, but it's hard to give up never having to bring ammo boxes.

You always want cold damage on critical hit weapon or a sacrificial element because you can NOT get critical hits on shield damage.

Edited by LazyKnight

I said general effectiveness sorry for not saying modifier effectiveness.

All the Dot weapon are broken OP because DE went for the infinite stacking method as opposed to refreshing dot or chance activation method. infinite stacking Dot that are only limited by fire rate are the most effective type of DPS bar none and makes all other DPS weapon pointless.

You always want cold damage on critical hit weapon or a sacrificial element because you can NOT get critical hits on shield damage.

-1 for stacking DOT's.

Also, is that claim true, that you can't get critical hits on shields?