The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Odd FPS drops on High spec streaming PC

Stormandreas

So over the past month or so, I've noticed during missions my FPS drops as low as 40. This is highly unusual as I can run the game at 700FPS, so there's in no way I should be going as low as 40. I use Corpus.Outbreak on the Login screen to test this mainly and run it for about an hour or so.
Usually I start off at 60FPS, and after about 40 minutes, I begin rapidly dropping to 40, where it fluctuates between 57-42. The RAM usage also increases drastically from 600 to 1000 over the hour as well, which indicates a memory leak.

Here's a list of everything I remember that I've done to test the problem:
- Updating Windows
- Updating GPU drivers
- Replacing RAM
- Lowering Ingame graphical settings
- Removing 2nd monitor
- swapping HDMI cables
- Re-configuring Nvidia Graphics settings for better performance
- Re-installing the game (including Optimizing the cache)
- Install on SSD
- Update DirectX

I am currently running tests without the Steam Overlay enabled, and so far it's more promising. Perhaps Warframe is having issues with Steam interaction. Given that Warframe is a standalone game, I wouldn't find this surprising.

My Specs are:
CPU - I7 4790K 4.4Ghz
RAM - 16Gb DDR3
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
Motherboard - MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Windows 10 on a 300Gb SSD
Warframe on a 2Tb HDD (Has been installed on the SSD with no change in performance)

UPDATE 26/06/18 00:45 GMT: I have just done a 1 hour test of Corpus.Outbreak with no Steam Overlay.
Overall it was more stable, locking at 60FPS a lot, however at the 35 minute mark, the frames drop to 55 for a few seconds, then climb back. It repeats this until 38 minutes, and then drops to 44 FPS again.
At 40Minutes, I get stable 60FPS for about 5-10 minutes until it begins fluctuating again.
I noticed, whenever the frames drop, the RAM usage jumps from 610-640, and the response time skyrockets from 16.6ms to 21.3ms. Something again, no other game seems to do.

UPDATE 26/06/18 1:44 GMT: Replaced current RAM (DDR3 1333mhz 4GB x2) with 'newer' RAM (DDR3 1600mhz 8GB)
Significant improvement. Ran a Kuva Survival (which seems the cause the most lag), for 20 minutes,and the frames never dropped below 61. 12.2-12.4ms response time almost always.
FAR Better performance.
Not sure if this is due to Warframe not responding well to 1333mhz RAM or if the RAM is simply old (which it is), and needed replacement.

Edited by Stormandreas

Hmm, I also get random drops in long missions and I also have 1333mhz RAM. Been wondering if that is the cause of the frame-drops and your post pretty much confirms my suspicions. Thanks for posting all that extra info. :thumbup:

On 2018-06-27 at 2:03 PM, Lerzu said:

Hmm, I also get random drops in long missions and I also have 1333mhz RAM. Been wondering if that is the cause of the frame-drops and your post pretty much confirms my suspicions. Thanks for posting all that extra info. :thumbup:

I have found the solution. Apparently the recent windows 10 update has screwed something up.

What I've done is download the latest chipset drivers for my motherboard (which were released like... 2 days ago), install them, then get the latest graphics drivers, do a CLEAN installation of them.

After that, I put all my ram in, and changed my Bios so that it forces all my Ram to run at 1333Mhz, so its all the same speed.

Currently running the Corpus.Outbreak test. 45 Minutes in and there's only been 1 dip from 60fps to 57Fps when I started loading loads of stuff. (Btw, I'm using Vsync as it makes Warframe just run smoother, so I'm locked to 60. Means if I can run more, there's just spare resources incase there's massive loads, and when there is dips, then there is just too much for it to handle)
I also did a major clean out of my com of dust, and put new coolant paste on the Processor.