Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hexx - Do ̶n̶o̶ ̶ Harm, Speak ̶n̶o̶ ̶ Evil (Warlock Frame Concept)

Name: Hexx

Theme: Utilising the life energy that flows through all living things, Hexx weaves dark energies into his foes as a means of turning their strengths against them, and punishing their losses.

Stats: (Rank 0/Rank 30)

Spoiler

Health: 80/250

Shields: 120/350
Armor: 50 (90)

Sprint Sp.: 1.0

Passive:

Spoiler

Heal 2 health every time an enemy is damaged by a status effect afflicted by Hexx.

Notes: For every tick of damage an enemy takes from Status effects, caused by Hexx, he will restore 2 health. No affect at Max Health.

Ability 1 - Soul Drain: “Pulling the life force of his target from their body, Hexx restricts their movement as their soul drains.”

Spoiler

Primary Effect: A single target ability that holds an enemy in place, dealing a percentage of their remaining health to them (Not including shields). Damage ignores Shields however Armor damage reduction is still incorporated. Recasting this ability on a target still under affect will refresh the timer. Enemies under the affect of corruption take increased damage.

Secondary Effect: If the target is under affect or killed by Sacrificial or Suffer respectively whilst affected by Soul Drain, the drained life force will emit outwards healing allies within range for a percentage of the damage dealt.

Cost: 25 energy.

Duration: 6s - 8s - 11s - 14s

Range:

• Cast Distance: 15m - 20m - 30m - 45m

• Secondary Wave: 6m - 8m - 10m - 12m (Unaffected by Range Mods)

Strength: (3% - 5% - 6% -  7%) of (Target Remaining Health)/per second. (Damage Percentage affected by Strength Mods)

• Healing Pulse: 5% - 10% - 15% - 20% (Healing not affected by Strength mods)

• Corruption Bonus: +10% to base Damage% (Not Affected by Strength mods)

Ability 2 - Corruption: “A corrupting cloud of ominous gas emanates from Hexx, Enemies who breathe it in are afflicted with a higher chance of status effects.”

Spoiler

Primary Effect: Hexx expels a noxious gas from his body that affects enemies within range (including through walls). Enemies that contact the gas receive an increase to Status Affliction chance. The increase in Affliction chance is additive to the Status sources that connect with affected targets.

Secondary Effect: Enemies under the effects of Corruption that are killed by Status Procs release a secondary wave of corruption at 33% of the ability range. Enemies who are already under effect will have their debuff duration reset.

Note: Eg. (Attack w/ 35% Status) + (Corruption x% debuff) = Status Chance of attack.

Cost: 50 energy

Duration: 7s - 9s - 11s - 13s.

Range: 8m - 12m - 16m - 20m.

• Secondary Corruption: (Base Range - 33%)      (Not affected by Ability Range)

• Note: Enemies will always exude Corruption at 33% of the abilities base range, not the range of the Corruption that affected them.

Strength: (Extra Status chance) 15% - 20% - 25% - 30% 

Ability 3 - Suffer: “Turning the enemies weaknesses on themselves Hexx removes their Status' and tears through their life force with them.”

Spoiler

Primary Effect: Hexx casts a curse that strikes enemies in range. This attack deals 5% of the enemies Max Health as raw damage and adds an additional percentage of their Max Health (Not Exceeding 75%) for each different type of Status Effect currently affecting them. Removes all Status’ on surviving enemies.

Secondary Effect: Enemies killed by this ability under the effects of physical damage procs are much more likely to drop a health orb. Enemies killed by this ability under the effects of elemental damage procs are much more likely to drop an energy orb. Enemies affected by both physical and elemental procs will have a 100% chance to drop either a Health or Energy Orb.

Note: Cast’s like Equinox’s Rest ability with the tether effect from the point of casting. 'Different Status Effects refers to different damage types, not individual procs. 2 Slash effects will still count as 1 slash (or 12%). So applying a Slash, Impact and Puncture will be far better than applying 3 slash (same for all effects).

Cost: 75 energy

Duration: --

Range: 4m - 6m - 8m - 10m

Strength: (5% - Unchangeable) + 2% - 3% - 4% - 5%

• Secondary Effect:

• Physical Status: +50% Health Orb Chance

• Elemental: +50% Energy Orb Chance

• Physical & Elemental: 100% Chance for Health or Energy Orb (50% of either being dropped)

Ability 4 - Sacrificial: “Choosing a host in which to sacrifice, Hexx channels his energy through them and drains the strength of their allies. Damage done to this target harms their allies."

Spoiler

Primary Effect: The targeted enemy is suspended on the spot and tethers to nearby enemies. Dealing damage to the host will also deal a percentage of that damage to connected enemies and status effects will be shared for 50% of the duration. Killing the host sends a stun to connected enemies that lasts for a 2 seconds.

Secondary Effect:

• If the host is affected by Soul Drain upon casting Sacrificial, the tethered enemies will also be affected by Soul Drain for 20% of the base Soul Drain duration.

• If the host is affected by Corruption upon casting Sacrificial, the tethered enemies will also be affected by Corruption for 20% of the base Corruption duration.

• If the Host is affected by both Soul Drain and Corruption upon casting Sacrificial, tethered enemies will also be affected by Soul Drain and Corrupted for 50% of the base duration.

Cost: 100 energy.

Duration: 9s - 11s - 13s - 15s

Range: 6m - 9m - 12m - 15m

Strength: (Shared Damage) 10% - 12% - 15% - 20%

• Secondary Effects:

• Soul Drain Buff: 20% of Soul Drain duration.

• Corruption Buff: 20% of Corruption duration

• Combined Buff: Both effects will last 50% of their Base Ability duration.

Sacrificial - Alternative:

I want to ask about the fourth ability Sacrificial. Should I keep the damage sharing effect or should I change it so that whatever Status effects the host receives, they also give to connected enemies. This would mean that Suffer would be able to link together with Sacrificial for a much more cohesive attack. Still don't know which one I like more. 

At the advice of @(XB1)FlawlessBugle68 I have changed sacrificial to a much more developed ability. The sharing of status procs for 50% of the duration has been added, the base cost was changed to a flat 100 and the range slightly improved. 

Designer Notes: 

Hexx is designed to be a support frame in much the same way that Harrow is; a greedy frame who offers many supportive capabilities that reward him much more than his teammates. However being a 'Warlock' it suits him much more than Harrow. 

I also really liked the idea of having straight forward abilities that became amazing when you combined them in specific ways. So I added a secret ingredient, Chemical X! Born with Ultra Super Power; Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup... ahem.       I MEAN that I added secondary effects that have specific triggers in order to be activated that require the user to put thought into how they're going to attack the enemy and who they're going to focus on. Much like Nidus or Harrow who's abilities gain strength when used together, Hexx would gain his supportive effects by playing greedily and allowing his teammates (But mostly himself) to benefit from the enemies misfortunes.

Anyway, im sure more edits will come in the future as I continue to tweak and refine his kit. Besure to leave feedback in the comments, I love hearing what others think and accept criticism openly. Look forward to hearing from you. If you made it this far then here's a secret hug (>^_^)>

Edits:

1) Neatened up the post. Tweaked the flavor text of 'Suffer'.

2) Reworked the damage numbers of Soul Drain and Suffer at the advice of @(XB1)FlawlessBugle68. (It was pretty broken) Added Sacrificial Alternative - Feedback appreciated.

3) Fixed mistakes in Corruption description. Reworded Suffer descriptions to better explain the effects. Overhauled Sacrificial in order to better balance the Cost, Range and Effects. 

Edited by (PS4)TwistedInstincts

Well hell! I wish my posts looked this cool! This is an awesome frame with a great kill set. I like the synergy between abilities. It always makes a frame feel so much more cohesive. I always strive to have at least 2 abilities synergies, but this synergies all of them!

My only complaint is the straight hp %. While fair at mid-tier, it’s too strong at high tier, because you can just spam it and go your merry way. My suggestion would be to replace it with (Dmg + 4-5% remaining hp). That would be fairer, as it would still docheft damage, but also weakens as the enemy does, so you can’t spam them dead.

Edited by (XB1)FlawlessBugle68
Stupid spell check lol

Once I sat back from the designing mindset and read it from the readers perspective... Suffer was broken AF. Thanks for pointing that out. I've tweaked it down so that it now does a good chunk of damage but can only really be used as a main form of DPS with max Strength builds. Now it can be used more as a utility kill to activate Soul Drains healing pulse.

Thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate it 🙂

Theme > Utility > Base Effects > Special Effects > Naming/Details > Tweaking > Break > Tweak > Release.

Thats the usual route I take to making a concept. I take it one step at a time so that I dont have ideas rushing over one another and allows me to clearly focus on what part of the concept im up to. I do take notes for later steps if a good idea comes along though. Once I have all the ideas down and crafted I leave it be for a days or so and revisit it to look at it with fresh eyes. Helps to find mistakes, grammar errors, stat errors etc, and allows me to see it as someone who doesn't have a fogged vision of how it would be like in game. Once I'm happy, I release it and wait for feedback.

Probably a bit too much work for just a concept but it just makes the end result feel that much more worth it once I see people go "Hey, that looks fun". 

22 minutes ago, (PS4)Elixz8247 said:

DE i want this frame in game.

@TwistedInstincts Do u have an idea of how Hexx would look like.

I've had some ideas in my head, and normally i'd draw them up but I've been in the middle of moving. Will be unpacking most of my stuff soon so expect some form of art in the near future.

For a brief idea:

He would a relatively thin frame with a slender figure with long arms akin to Nekros'. His legs however would be draped in intricately woven robes and dressings. His torso would have body paint resembling tribal tattoos or war paint that extends up one side of his face. His head is very sleek, with large gold earings hanging from the side. Around his neck is a ceremonial clasp with ribbons that match his legs hanging from either side. Matching gold clasps would adorn his wrists. Similar to Nidus' energy colour, Hexx's would shimmer across the body paint.

Agile Animation: A hunched posture with rocking movements and head twitches that resemble someone in a trance.

Noble animation: A straightened stance with his right arm held by his side facing outward and his left arm held out at shoulder height. His fingers caress slowly as if beckoning you to come closer.

Alternate Helmet - Reanimated: A more stout and grotesque looking head that resembles a rotting skull. His energy colour can be seen seeping out of cracks and gaps at times.

So... uhh... I just noticed something.

On 2018-07-04 at 9:45 PM, (PS4)TwistedInstincts said:

Duration: 6s - 8s - 11s - 14s

Range:

• Cast Distance: 15m - 20m - 30m - 45m

•  Secondary Wave: 6m - 8m - 10m - 12m (Unaffected by Range Mods)

Strength: (3% - 5% - 6% -  7%) of (Target Max Health)/per second. (Damage Percentage affected by Strength Mods)

14s times 7% per second equalssss: 98% of hp!!!!!!!! This is FARRRRR to OP. Needs to be 7% for the whole duration to be very strong at high levels... this is just godly right now.

One other note, in my first post I said 4-5% remaining hp, not straight up no. Otherwise, someone could stack ability strength + 75% efficiency and easily spam 10 bouts of 10% hp on lvl 100 bosses and walk away. The remaining hp helps balance that better. If it were up to me, which it isn’t, it’s up to you, I’d remove all vestiges of straight hp altogether, but using remaining hp is a way to have deminishbig returns with said straight % hp.

Edited by (XB1)FlawlessBugle68

9 hours ago, (XB1)FlawlessBugle68 said:

So... uhh... I just noticed something.

14s times 7% per second equalssss: 98% of hp!!!!!!!! This is FARRRRR to OP. Needs to be 7% for the whole duration to be very strong at high levels... this is just godly right now.

One other note, in my first post I said 4-5% remaining hp, not straight up no. Otherwise, someone could stack ability strength + 75% efficiency and easily spam 10 bouts of 10% hp on lvl 100 bosses and walk away. The remaining hp helps balance that better. If it were up to me, which it isn’t, it’s up to you, I’d remove all vestiges of straight hp altogether, but using remaining hp is a way to have deminishbig returns with said straight % hp.

I THOUGHT I had changed the wording although it may have been lost when I was refreshing during edits. I also changed the time to 14s for the first run because it was 15 xD

But yes, i shall fix that. But I mean, if someone does drain your soul its gonna hurt a lot.

Heyyooo. So I just looked through this again and saw a few things.

1) is the +% dmg on suffer a % of hp? If so, that means easily combining high status rifles with this and shredding an enemies hp in under 5s. My suggestion, assuming I understand the +%s properly, would to instead instantly do all of the status’ dmg *  some multiplier instantly. After this, to balance no longer being OP, make a weaken effect, based on the # if statuses removed. I’d say 15% per status at rank 4, max 90%. Have it last maybe 15-20s?

2) On corruption, you say 33% in the secondaries description, but 66% in the numbers section...

3) as to your change on sacrificial, I’d actually add on the status transference, in addition to the % damage. Without that, to be honest, it’s a bit underwhelming for an ult. I’d also suggest upping the rank 4 radius to closer to 15m. I’d make it cost a flat 100 energy, and reduce the rank 4 duration to 15s, as the passive energy cost is absurd for a mediocre ability, which is where I feel it is at right now. If it were toggled, and lasted until you stopped it, that could be an interesting mechanic. If you chose to do that, I’d say leave the cost where it is then, maybe doing a flat 4/s rather than 3/s/enemy, as that’s absurdly expensive. Hek, if you did that you could make it ramp up % transferred and cost with it. Just an idea, though.

18 hours ago, (XB1)FlawlessBugle68 said:

Heyyooo. So I just looked through this again and saw a few things.

1) is the +% dmg on suffer a % of hp? If so, that means easily combining high status rifles with this and shredding an enemies hp in under 5s. My suggestion, assuming I understand the +%s properly, would to instead instantly do all of the status’ dmg *  some multiplier instantly. After this, to balance no longer being OP, make a weaken effect, based on the # if statuses removed. I’d say 15% per status at rank 4, max 90%. Have it last maybe 15-20s?

2) On corruption, you say 33% in the secondaries description, but 66% in the numbers section...

3) as to your change on sacrificial, I’d actually add on the status transference, in addition to the % damage. Without that, to be honest, it’s a bit underwhelming for an ult. I’d also suggest upping the rank 4 radius to closer to 15m. I’d make it cost a flat 100 energy, and reduce the rank 4 duration to 15s, as the passive energy cost is absurd for a mediocre ability, which is where I feel it is at right now. If it were toggled, and lasted until you stopped it, that could be an interesting mechanic. If you chose to do that, I’d say leave the cost where it is then, maybe doing a flat 4/s rather than 3/s/enemy, as that’s absurdly expensive. Hek, if you did that you could make it ramp up % transferred and cost with it. Just an idea, though.

(After writing note: This is a big block of text response, but necessary to fill in the gaps)
Thanks for drawing my attention to these things;

1) In regards to Suffer, I just forgot to edit its wording when I was doing some previous edits. It's supposed to be:
     (5% of Target Max Health) + (Ability% of Max Health * 'x amount of different status proc') = Damage Dealt.
The 'different status procs' refers only to damage type, not individual effects. So having 2 slash procs and an Impact will mean that 24% (12% for Slash, 12% for Impact) of the enemies maximum HP is added. Having multiple slash effects doesn't add more damage. Same for all other status effects. The 12% * 'amount of procs' may seem high but considering an average shotgun build can eliminate an enemy in 1-2 shots at any level that isnt a sortie, I consider it a fair trade off to use a rifle that specializes in status application over status killing. And + 30% ability Strength from Intensify only brings it up to ~16%. So a max Strength build would be needed for a 3 status insta-kill, which is not the optimal way to play Hexx in my opinion, though it would be a potential build.

I'll reword it to display that, but this means that using a weapon(s) with different status effects will make this ability perform far better. This makes players decide between using a Status build for Ability Burst damage, or Crit weapons for Weapon Burst damage. I hope this clarifies it a bit, and feel free to ask if you don't understand. If you still think this is too strong I will happily look into your idea as it seems like a great alternative. It still matches the theme I wanted for Hexx where he isn't a frame who focuses on instant kill abilities but rather controlling and disabling enemies to try and get profitable effects from them (Ie the Secondary effects).

2) Corruption: Just me being a big dummy. A really bad typo, sorry about that.

3) You make some exceptional points here. I was looking at Sacrificial through the effects of Soul Drain and Corruption, not as an Ultimate ability. I see now that it is just a 'slightly' better 'Condemn' effect on Harrow's first ability. I'll definitely be changing it up, and I like the advice you gave on the Base Cost and range. I'll sit on this ability for a bit and work on other potential changes before I do anything just to make sure im happy. 

Thanks for the feedback man, I really appreciate it. It's odd how many mishaps get past me when I make these and it's always good to have someone point them out for me.

Edit: Whilst thinking about status weapons, I remembered the Scourge (Harrows primary Stave Rifle) I have one modded for Corrosive, Viral and Radiation. Being a staff like weapon, it would match Hexx perfectly and would work great as a status applicator because it has relatively low base damage. And it's AoE blasts would be a massive help for him. MY GOD!!! HARROW STOLE HEXX's WEAPON!!! BULLY CONFIRMED!!!

Okay. 

1) The % hp is just soooo OP like that. Take your grakata Clem Clem Clem, uhhh I mean build it with a bunch of statuses, and higher status chance, and now it can apply 3-4 different status effects in under 2s. It’s not just strong, it’s utterly OP. I know I’m really biased against % hp, but that’s because it so easily is op, such as this sort of situation. If you really want to keep the +% hp here, bring it down to +1-2%, not 12%. Down forget power strength, which would probably see it hitting 25+% on certain builds... Hence why I suggested the whole “deal the whole dmg if the status*some multiplier(4?)” thing.

2) I figured

3) Sounds good.

Dont worry man, this is what we’re all here for, to support each other’s ideas. It’s fine that the frame isn’t perfect, no frame in the game is, let alone a fan idea that probably hasn’t had more than 3-5hrs put into thinking about it, let alone actually using it in a testing environment.

Oooh, I just had a thought on sacrificial! Minor change, but it could be neat: Make it so the enemy doesn’t take any damage while it’s active, but then takes all of it at the end of the ability. This’d allow it to work at all levels, as low level sacrifices would just die before it could be useful, and high levels wouldn’t risk killing him early, but you wouldn’t actually lose the damage.

Just a thought that came to me.

1 hour ago, (XB1)FlawlessBugle68 said:

The % hp is just soooo OP like that. Take your grakata Clem Clem Clem, uhhh I mean build it with a bunch of statuses, and higher status chance, and now it can apply 3-4 different status effects in under 2s. It’s not just strong, it’s utterly OP. I know I’m really biased against % hp, but that’s because it so easily is op, such as this sort of situation. If you really want to keep the +% hp here, bring it down to +1-2%, not 12%. Down forget power strength, which would probably see it hitting 25+% on certain builds... Hence why I suggested the whole “deal the whole dmg if the status*some multiplier(4?)” thing.

(Just beforehand, I did forget to add the 90% threshold to Suffer in my edits)

The only reason I'm really intent on keeping the % of Max Health thing is that it is designed to be Hexx's only 'kill' ability, and as such I do want it to feel like it packs som 'Oomph'. Whilst I do really like your idea for a replacement, the idea of using the number of Status' afflicted in total rather than the types of Status' applied doesn't really mesh as well with the secondary effect for Suffer (Which is my favourite part about it. Probably why I'm so attached to it).

I did listen to your advice and lower the Max Health percentage down as 12% was too high, though I didn't take it as low as you suggested. The thing with the Percentage is that whilst higher level enemies will have more health and will thus take more individual damage per status, it will still have the same effect as on a lower health enemy affected by the same number of effects. It will just be a percentage of their health and only be able to kill them if they are reduced below that threshold (And yes, previous numbers were far too high for this). This is very strong in late game as you said, because other frames lose effectiveness with their abilities as the enemies get stronger. However I want the setting up of different status effects and the use of this as Hexx's only purely offensive ability to be able to counteract the power of the attack.

2 hours ago, (XB1)FlawlessBugle68 said:

Oooh, I just had a thought on sacrificial! Minor change, but it could be neat: Make it so the enemy doesn’t take any damage while it’s active, but then takes all of it at the end of the ability. This’d allow it to work at all levels, as low level sacrifices would just die before it could be useful, and high levels wouldn’t risk killing him early, but you wouldn’t actually lose the damage.

Just a thought that came to me.

This actually reminds me of Nidus' Parasitic Link, where the enemy takes the damage for him and once the ability deactivates it absorbs all the damage immediately. For Sacrificial however I want to keep the potential for killing the Host as this gives players incentive to target stronger enemies to damage the weaker ones around them. Adds that small layer of expertise and mechanical knowledge that would separate a new player and someone who really knows how to utilise Hexx and his abilities.

Okay, I think the numbers are much better now! It’s just it’s soooo strong. Get a high fire rate + status weapon and there dead. Buuuut, now it’s harder to instakill with this. The only nuances I’d add now is

A) reduce base dmg to 3%, to encourage as many statuses as possible, and make it less spammable while still being strong. 

B) add a max number of statuses removed, my suggestion is 2-3. This, again, would reduce instakilling, whilst still being soammable.

C) Perhaps adding a cost/status instead or in addition to B?

10 hours ago, (XB1)FlawlessBugle68 said:

Okay, I think the numbers are much better now! It’s just it’s soooo strong. Get a high fire rate + status weapon and there dead. Buuuut, now it’s harder to instakill with this. The only nuances I’d add now is

A) reduce base dmg to 3%, to encourage as many statuses as possible, and make it less spammable while still being strong. 

B) add a max number of statuses removed, my suggestion is 2-3. This, again, would reduce instakilling, whilst still being soammable.

C) Perhaps adding a cost/status instead or in addition to B?

I fail to see how as it is now, assuming its a max strength build, it is any stronger than other frames with the same strength build. Full health enemies can never die (90% limit) in one attack even if you hit them with different statuses from all 3 of your weapons which more often than not would kill an enemy outright anyway so why bother. Assuming you run a Primary with Slash/Impact/Puncture/'Element1'/'Element2', you can potentially apply 5 statuses which is 25% of the enemies health (without strength). 

This is also a third ability and so has a high energy cost compared to other frames with lower cost offensive abilities (Such as Excalibur, Nidus, Frost/Ember/Oberon/Volt etc). With a Max Strength build, blind rage would decrease the efficiency, making it difficult to reduce the cost, and so it cannot be spammed carelessly without blowing all of the energy away. You could choose a hard to kill target and spam them down but then you would need to regain energy enough to use it again on other enemies. Im thinking of this as an Ability that needs several different inputs from the player before activation to become effective, where other frames and their abilities do not.

It's strength comes from players managing everything they do to get the reward of high damage. Players could play just go around using a status gun and this ability but they would be missing out on a heap of crowd control utility that Hexx needs because he is exceptionally squishy. We're focusing so much on this one ability that we're ignoring the fact that other abilities need to be cast to get the maximum benefit out of all of his abilities. And for the sake of making sure I understand the numbers correctly, and for future reference, I'm doing an end-game average max strength build calculation:

Mods: Blind Rage 99%, Intensify 30%, Power Drift 15%, Transient Fortitude 55%, Augur Secrets 24% = +223% (On top of the 100% base)

Suffer (Rank 4): 5% * 323% = 16.15% Enemy Max health.

This means that with a Max strength build, you can get 80.75% of the enemies max health with 5 statuses in one ability cast.

Okay, so looking at these numbers, I will be changing the Max% of health that can be achieved to 75%.  However, if players still wish to achieve this they will need a large investment in Strength to get it. The 5% strength is small enough that Intensify only brings it up to 6.5%. You may consider this too strong but 75 Energy to reduce an enemies health by ~30% (on top of applying 5 statuses, having other abilities setup) is a fair trade. Feel free to disagree but I honestly feel that reducing numbers any more will make this ability be a once in a blue moon use for some Health/Energy orbs when you're running low. 

The max number of statuses removed is a good alternative fix but goes against the idea of planning/managing everything to achieve the best results.And I have fiddled with the cost system several times now and the cost is probably the only thing I will change anymore. Your idea is good, I'll think about it.