The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[PC] Playing with a controller? What are your aim settings?

Leyvonne

Question

I've been playing for a couple of days now and I've tried both control methods. With KB&M it is so much easier to aim and shoot, but I stuggle with fast, fluid movement and I start to feel pain in my hands and fingers after just an hour of playing. With controller there is no pain, movement is easy and I find it easier to use abilities too so I'm leaning more towards playing with a controller mainly due to the no pain factor.. Problem is I struggle with aiming on a controller even tho I have aim assist on. The best way to describe my situation would be the fact that I can't kill Jackal. I know how to do it, but with KB&M I can't dodge stuff so I die and with controller I can't shoot the mine dropping drones so I die 😄

So to solve my aiming issue I'd like to know what settings other PC users are using with a contoller. You know so I can try and see if the settings fit me or are close enough to get them working for me with minor tweaks. I have tried changing the settings several times, but it just seems to be too fast or too slow and I'm having trouble finding a good middlegroud.. because somehow the middleground isn't in the middle of too fast and too slow O.o

4 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Tekohh said:

Problem with a controller is that it's not precise when it comes to aiming, I'd say use keyboard and mouse when you need it and then use a controller when you're doing anything else.

Given that OP stated using kb&m is causing them physical pain, this does not seem like a viable solution.

OP- I used to use kb&m when I first started playing WF back in 2013, and had the exact same issues with movement, and with experiencing pain after playing for any length of time. I have tendinitis in my right wrist, thanks to a work injury, which makes typing or using a mouse for any length of time very painful.

I started playing WF on Xbox because friends were playing it there, and quickly found the controller to be much more comfortable and fluid for me. Having played a number of shooters with a controller also helped, as I was used to the aiming. Aim assist has been turned off since the beginning, as Destiny gave me a hatred for it. 

When Plains launched last fall, I went back to my PC account, because the hype was real, and have used a controller exclusively for playing the game. I copied my control settings from Xbox to my PC settings, and tweaked them as needed. You might find these too slow, but it’s worked for me for well over 2,000 hours of play.

Look sensitivity - 30

Aim Sensitivity - 15

Hi,

I use a controller all the time while I play Warframe. I've turned down the setting just a little and turned of aim assist. Hate being pulled of target by another enemy crossing my field of fire. Try using a mod called Eagle Eye to zoom in better. The controller I use is a Rock Candy, it's doesn't have a vibration feature buts it's pretty good. Just stick with it, you will always get kb&m are so much better, I never use a kb&m in FPS or third person shooters and still hold my own. Try using different weapons to see which one is for you.  Max out the one to use on a daily basis, ie Boltor or Burston for doing main missions and any other weapon just get it rank 30 then go back to your main. Hope this helps you out.

Cheers

Karl

On 2018-07-08 at 10:17 PM, Tekohh said:

Problem with a controller is that it's not precise when it comes to aiming, I'd say use keyboard and mouse when you need it and then use a controller when you're doing anything else.

I have actually tried that, but it feels really awkward since a) I have trouble with movement when playing with KB&M and b) every time I want to switch I have to readjust my screen and chair (I play much further away from the screen when using a contoller).

On 2018-07-08 at 10:38 PM, (XB1)Whippngirl said:

When Plains launched last fall, I went back to my PC account, because the hype was real, and have used a controller exclusively for playing the game. I copied my control settings from Xbox to my PC settings, and tweaked them as needed. You might find these too slow, but it’s worked for me for well over 2,000 hours of play.

Look sensitivity - 30

Aim Sensitivity - 15

This helped me a bit in the right direction. Right now I'm using 25 for look sensitivity and trying to fine tune the aim in the range of 12 to 17... It is weird like setting aim to 15 for example sometimes feels too slow and then a moment later it feels too fast. I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to. Managed to beat Jackal no problem playing with a controller now so there has clearly been some improvement.

On 2018-07-08 at 10:40 PM, karl775 said:

Just stick with it, you will always get kb&m are so much better, I never use a kb&m in FPS or third person shooters and still hold my own.

I'm actually married to a guy who thinks I'm just being stupid when he sees me play PC games with a controller, so I'm used to being told that kb&m is superior. I kinda understand his point of view tho, he used to play FPS games competitively when he was younger and he still has that "be the best" mindset when it comes to gaming. For me gaming is just pure fun and I don't mind if I'm not the best or if I'm using "inferior" playstyle. Also in a few years contoller might be my only option if I want to keep playing on PC so there is that.