Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Operator Movement: More intuitive controls

(XBOX)motionROTATION

Operator movement differs from Warframe movement because it utilizes alternative techniques, ie void dashes. Not having access to double jump is fine as the little “kiddos”are smaller and aren’t machines but have magic-void powers. However, I feel the implementation can be better with two distinct changes: 

(1) Let sprinting as the operator disable stealth

(2) Let the operator void dash as a double jump outside of stealth

The Background:

While I play on console and don’t know the PC controls, I have highly edited my control scheme to utilize movement to the highest ability. Controller space is compact, but I’d argue my set-up makes movement both fluid and intuitive. This is where the Operator movement feels clunky and is inconsistent with Warframe movement. 

Premise 1:

By having to hold crouch to activate stealth, it assures that the operator can enter invisibility at will which is good. But to exit invisibility (Like to simply sprint out of the way of an incoming projectile), one has to re-hold crouch and then sprint which adds extra time and often results in an inability to dodge by simply strafing when a void dash is excessive or a player wants to retain the void meter.  Letting sprint disable stealth and then just reapplying stealth, lets the player flow more seamlessly through combat. 

Premise 2:

Movement as a Warframe involves lots of jumping and dodging. The operator may not have the muscle to bullet jump and glide but they have space magic to dash. If the operator has the ability to dash without activating stealth (though they could still dash while in stealth), then it gives them more tools for combat and realigns many of the core gameplay components of Warframes with the operator while remaining distinct. The operators have slower sprint speeds and activating the slower stealth mode just to dash seems unintuitive and sluggish in practice. This will allow the player to sprint, (jump), dash, sprint instead of sprint, crouch, dash, uncrouch, sprint and feel more fluid.  This alignment of dashing in lieu of a double jump also shows how an operator has learned or applied the lessons of utilizing a Warframe to themselves.

Ultimately by having more fluid controls and removing barriers or bad experiences from simply moving, I think it will heighten the experience and make the mode more enjoyable to use.  The operator is something that I’m delving into more now and I want to love it.

Thank you for reading.

————————

For those that may wonder what my control scheme is the changes are: 

L1/LB: Jump

R1/RB: Use Power 

R3: Crouch/Bullet jump

Circle/B: Melee (this is my sacrifice for movement heavy controls)  

L2/LT: Melee block (so midair is air-glide the same as aiming a gun)

R2/RT: Melee Channel

This bumper-jumper configuration allows the turning of a character without having to take thumbs off of the analog sticks for the camera to allow for more precise aiming with guns, abilities, and bullet jumping to extraction at the cost of melee (which one can argue uses less aiming anyway).

Edited by (XB1)motionROTATION