Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Heavy Mech Corpus Boss Battle (Dual-Phase)

RavingRoman

I know we have the upcoming Orbs of Venus. I've been having fun drinking and thinking and a few ideas came to mind. (I will post about them later)

Concept

Just had a thought about having a Heavy Mech being piloted by an elite Corpus Pilot. The corpus figured to have nullifier tech used as shields to protect the Mech while it also lays down emitter rods that keep the shield (not a bubble) powered, making the mech itself impervious to damage while they are up. This Mech will be armed with multiple weapons from a beam canon (More powerful than the opticor) to a laser mini-gun and missile darts. At the same time, artillery ospreys will be supporting it with covering fire. 

The Tenno will have to destroy the emitters first before they can get a shot at the mech's joints.

Once the mech down, the pilot comes out with a heavy weapon and a nullifier bubble that power these support ospreys' which now also generate bubbles as they chase after the players. You have to destroy ospreys to down the shields of that pilot and then kill him as fast as possible before he recovers.

Things to note

One of the problems that makes warframe a little to easy is that falling out of map or into pits causes no penalty aside from removing buffs. For boss battles to raise the stakes, it would be better that going out of bounds of the arena (i.e. falling into a pit) will cause instant death to the player and reviving will reset them back on the arena. Now that our revives charge every mission, barely anything is at stake. 

In that spirit, any major attack like getting blasted by the mech's main artillery canon would knock the players back hard (Not necessarily a knock down). They will need to recover and aimglide into a surface they can hop up and recover. This will make boss atacks even more threatening and taking a direct hit a problem.

Rewards:

Some of the rewards that DE can start using is that this boss would drop parts of various weapons. Other than that, you can get other things at random like a nullifier or tech spectre or whatever. 

Photo of a mech cause I like mechs. Credit to the artist: trollfeetwalker

heavy_armor_by_trollfeetwalker-da3jfzt.j

Edited by RavingRoman

****** the mech idea, i want that as rhino skin / new warframe LUL

Jokes aside, thinking about it, it's actually strange that the corpus does not have mechs, as they are the tech guys.. maybe DE tried to not be mainstream?

29 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

One of the problems that makes warframe a little to easy is that falling out of map or into pits causes no penalty aside from removing buffs. For boss battles to raise the stakes, it would be better that going out of bounds of the arena (i.e. falling into a pit) will cause instant death to the player and reviving will reset them back on the arena. Now that our revives charge every mission, barely anything is at stake. 

aaaaand no. thank you. As that would be a nice addition, a lot of the "i can barely walk" players would leave, and in a moment of great expansion as we are in now, it would be catastrophic 

2 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

Jokes aside, thinking about it, it's actually strange that the corpus does not have mechs, as they are the tech guys.. maybe DE tried to not be mainstream?

>Maybe? I dunno. I do find it weird neither the corpus nor the grineer decided to make one, cause grineer are builders too. But they have to come in eventually.

3 minutes ago, Kyryo said:

aaaaand no. thank you. As that would be a nice addition, a lot of the "i can barely walk" players would leave, and in a moment of great expansion as we are in now, it would be catastrophic 

Personally, I disagree. Boss battles like this can be introduced much later. And I think it would not be too harmful as most people would have an understanding that falling out of bounds would kill you.

24 minutes ago, RavingRoman said:

>Maybe? I dunno. I do find it weird neither the corpus nor the grineer decided to make one, cause grineer are builders too. But they have to come in eventually.

Personally, I disagree. Boss battles like this can be introduced much later. And I think it would not be too harmful as most people would have an understanding that falling out of bounds would kill you.

We already have a death pit in the Razorback battle (fall into the pit and you take some heavy damage) Most often people are knocked into the pit during a knockdown which doesn't end well. I'm not sure it'd be a welcome feature.

42 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

We already have a death pit in the Razorback battle (fall into the pit and you take some heavy damage) Most often people are knocked into the pit during a knockdown which doesn't end well. I'm not sure it'd be a welcome feature.

I dunno, I don't agree. I prefer insta-death for actual difficulty. It's not hard to get out of that pit really. (At least in my experience as a Rhino) Our revives recharge every mission. Let's have a reason to use em up.

Edited by RavingRoman

Just now, Omega-Shadowblade said:

With all due respect, insta-death =/= difficulty. 

Again, I personally disagree. Just knowing I could fall to my death makes me think "Oh crap, I should avoid getting blasted off the side, I need watch what this dude (Boss) is doing"

20 hours ago, RavingRoman said:

Again, I personally disagree. Just knowing I could fall to my death makes me think "Oh crap, I should avoid getting blasted off the side, I need watch what this dude (Boss) is doing"

Insta-death mechanics are more infuriating than difficult. For the most part people tend to understand that the CC of a large knockdown is a big enough inconvenience, if every CC the enemy does can instantly kill you that doesn't raise the difficulty level it just adds to the frustration of being hit by something already annoying when it happens too often.There are a lot of ways to add difficulty to boss fights without making players think the boss fight isn't worth the effort because of them. That being said the boss fight does sound like a lot of fun, I'd be down for taking down a mech two-to-three times the size of my frame and then having to fight it's pilot. Been wondering if/when they would implement more boss fights involving mechs or pseudo-mechs since the closest we really have is Hek.

Edited by (XB1)SmokeMeteora

3 minutes ago, (XB1)SmokeMeteora said:

Insta-death mechanics are more infuriating than difficult. For the most part people tend to understand that the CC of a large knockdown is a big enough inconvenience, if every CC the enemy does can instantly kill you that doesn't raise the difficulty level it just adds to the frustration of being hit by something already annoying when it happens too often.There are a lot of ways to add difficulty to boss fights without making players think the boss fight isn't worth the effort because of them.

The main issue about boss fights is that they do not pose enough of a challenge to most players in terms of damage unless at a really high level, even without defensive measures. Alright, say there is no insta-death. There should be enough incentive to avoid getting struck by boss attacks. Usually, a large amount of damage or otherwise. If we look back to older video games, bosses had mechanics like those mixed in with conditions for their vulnerability.

1 minute ago, RavingRoman said:

The main issue about boss fights is that they do not pose enough of a challenge to most players in terms of damage unless at a really high level, even without defensive measures. Alright, say there is no insta-death. There should be enough incentive to avoid getting struck by boss attacks. Usually, a large amount of damage or otherwise. If we look back to older video games, bosses had mechanics like those mixed in with conditions for their vulnerability.

In a similar vein to the insta-death falls, the arena could have several areas covered with electric mines, maybe even have him replenish them as his shields go back up after you have him vulnerable for an attack. That would make players have to both pay more attention to their surroundings and be wary of his knockbacks and knockdowns since the potential for damage would range from high to lethal.

6 minutes ago, (XB1)SmokeMeteora said:

In a similar vein to the insta-death falls, the arena could have several areas covered with electric mines, maybe even have him replenish them as his shields go back up after you have him vulnerable for an attack. That would make players have to both pay more attention to their surroundings and be wary of his knockbacks and knockdowns since the potential for damage would range from high to lethal.

I actually had a discussion with my friend about these earlier. I do agree we need mines or some sort of explosives in the pits. However, I'm leaning towards nullifier-teched out mines (I know I am spamming the heck out of it) so that even tanky warframes would be punished on an even level with every other frame.