The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Computer Under Utilized

dragonslayer667

so i have a phenom2 x 4 3.4ghz cpu and a radeon 6950 gpu and i've been getting some horrible fps issues.

seems to have started when update 9 came out and has just been getting worse.

used to run 60+ at maxed settings now i get 20- on minimum.

decided to monitor my system while its running the game and i have noticed that my cpu usage never goes above 40% and that my gpu usage doesnt go above 25%.

is the game just screwed or is there a new setting i need to turn off?

edit: another hour of monitoring resource usage while playing  and it seems my gpu doesnt go over 10% while actually in a mission but can sit at 25% in the menu screens giving me 100+ fps

Edited by dragonslayer667

Did you recently update your drivers, possibly to beta drivers?

I heard some drivers cause issues, or maybe your bottleneck is somewhere else?

I once had an issue with a sound card causing hardware lag, updating drivers/setting down sound quality has helped there.

Try running in windowed mode, or turn off Vsync, anything that could be messing with your Frames/Second

Edited by Sherbniz

Yes there is a performance issue with Warframe which appears to have started from update 9.

I have only noticed it since 9.5 when the void was given new textures.

Latest AMD beta drivers are causing a slowdown for me in all games.

good to know its not just me

Did you recently update your drivers, possibly to beta drivers?

I heard some drivers cause issues, or maybe your bottleneck is somewhere else?

I once had an issue with a sound card causing hardware lag, updating drivers/setting down sound quality has helped there.

Try running in windowed mode, or turn off Vsync, anything that could be messing with your Frames/Second

havent changed my drivers in months and all of my componets check out fine

Yes there is a performance issue with Warframe which appears to have started from update 9.

I have only noticed it since 9.5 when the void was given new textures.

Latest AMD beta drivers are causing a slowdown for me in all games.

Warframe's always suffered from optimization issues. Never in my entire history of playing Warframe have I witnessed my CPU usage go past 30% and my GPU go to 100%, and I'm on a pretty low-spec laptop.

glad to see its not just me

It's definitely not just you; performance issues are what disappoint me most about this game.

I don't really know what's at the root of the game's underutilization of system resources, but it's really upsetting for people who build/maintain their own machines and love this game.

The game is running extremely bad on my set up most of the time in a void mission it stays at 57 and might completely random jump up to 120+

and the GPU utilization stays at a lame 28% on both gpu's 

specs:

i7 4770k @stock

sabertooth z87

Gtx 780 direct CU2 in two way SLI 

8GB 1600mhz memory (cl9)

2 TB divided on two Hdd's 

and a 840 SSD 120gb

(i can rule out that there are no faulty parts since i have tested each one)

Edited by chili_nor

My own look into the Warframe binary makes it look like there's no multi-threading inside sub-systems. Sure, separate threads for AI, rendering, etc, but there's nothing like "AI Thread 1" and "AI Thread 2". With that rig, I can safely say your FPS issues will be the AI hitting your CPU's bottleneck. I have an FX-9590 on one rig of mine and an i7-4770k on another. Same issue with 3 GTX680s in 3xSLI.

Turn off DirectX11 and 64-bit mode?

Wrong. DirectX11 improves performance, it's written far better than DX9. Always use it if your card supports it.

Ideally yes. Just like how 64-bit is suppose to improve performance.

Wrong again*. All 64-bit does is allow you to use more memory, nothing more. 32-bit has a maximum of 4294967296 bytes (2^32, 4GB) while 64-bit has a maximum of 18446744073709551616 bytes (2^64, 16EB).

* Unless your processor utilizes the registers, which most don't - even some very recent ones - even then, it won't be too noticeable with Warframe's relatively low level of optimization (Compared to something like, say, BF3/4).

Edited by Hipolipolopigus