Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Changing Melee Combat

AbnerGuard

So I've been thinking. And I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a very big fan of the melee system. AS far as the stats go for each melee class (which is a whole new topic) and the way you perform melee attacks. Its just not fun from your very first Skana to the Hate/Orthos/Fragor/Scindo or whatever else you stacked with damage mods. Sure it feels awesome after not being able to scratch the armor of a high end enemy, then after a few hours of play (and a handful of mods) being able to completely destroy whole mobs by yourself. But that feel of greatness quickly fades. Well atleast for me it did. Thats why I thought up this melee system.

New Melee Combat System

So the basis for the new system would have to be the way you slash, stab, and smash with your melee weapons. Instead of running up to your enemy and pressing the melee button and slash, slash, slash or smash, smash, smash. I suggest changing it from "press X to use your melee" to pressing the melee button and changing the combat system while you have your melee weapon out. Meaning the buttons that usually allowed you to fire and aim would be the keys you used to attack. The fire/aim button would be for horizontal/vertical slashing when it comes to edged melee weapons or horizontal/vertical smashing when it comes to blunts. And if pressed together, they did a diagonal slash/smash.

So when I'm running through a mission and see a few Corpus I want to be able to run in, SWITCH to melee, and control the attack. I want to be able to choose between slashing at all angles; left/right/up/down/diagonal. Charge attacks would work the same as they have. You hold down the direction that you wish to slash and shazam! Charge attack. Also the speed at which you slashed obviously would still be based off of the weapon stats and the mods you have. Same with reach, criticals and any other stats.

This will give the player a better sense of imersion into the game and make them feel in control of the melee combat. Not only that but it would make the Melee System FUN. No matter what you choose be it short, longsword, dual, thrown, or heavy this system I feel would be great for any of them. Did I mention it would make you feel awesome? Yea it'd do that too. 

Certain weapons might need special work like the Kogake since it uses hand and foot work. I suggest making the left mouse button control the left fist, right mouse button control the right fist and when clicked together you possibly do a kick or a two-handed attack.

*And if anything... Make it a toggle from this system to the current system. Say press a keyboard key to go from the current system to the New Melee System and back.

Anything I missed or ways you think this could be improved or just general feelings good or bad on this subject are greatly appreciated!

Edited by AbnerGuard

Some of these are nice suggestions and I do think the melee system can use a few polish (I'm looking at you, useless "block" system...). However, it may introduce a few issues in the current run-&-gun style if it were a "toggle/switch" like you're suggesting.

I think the main grip I have with this is how slower it will be to go from slashing/smashing to shooting. Right now, due to the Melee being a button instead of a weapon-switch, you can hit with your sword on an enemy and quickly dispatch another further away shooting at you by using your rifle right after.

The current system also allows certain epic maneuveur that would otherwise be undermined with a toggle/switch system. for example, sometimes I run on a wall, shooting at enemies further away, following this by a wall jump towards them (still shooting), and when I get close, if there are surviving enemies, I land an AoE jump attack slam, knocking all of them off their feet.

Some of these are nice suggestions and I do think the melee system can use a few polish (I'm looking at you, useless "block" system...). However, it may introduce a few issues in the current run-&-gun style if it were a "toggle/switch" like you're suggesting.

I think the main grip I have with this is how slower it will be to go from slashing/smashing to shooting. Right now, due to the Melee being a button instead of a weapon-switch, you can hit with your sword on an enemy and quickly dispatch another further away shooting at you by using your rifle right after.

The current system also allows certain epic maneuveur that would otherwise be undermined with a toggle/switch system. for example, sometimes I run on a wall, shooting at enemies further away, following this by a wall jump towards them (still shooting), and when I get close, if there are surviving enemies, I land an AoE jump attack slam, knocking all of them off their feet.

I think people would get used to it and wouldn't even feel how they repeatedly press x or whatever button it would be.

I think people would get used to it and wouldn't even feel how they repeatedly press x or whatever button it would be.

Yeah we'll all get used to it eventually. The question is if it will benefit the gameplay more with such a change. I personally think it would, as long as the fast-paced element is still kept (which I believe it will be if done right).

Yeah we'll all get used to it eventually. The question is if it will benefit the gameplay more with such a change. I personally think it would, as long as the fast-paced element is still kept (which I believe it will be if done right).

Hmm. I think another possible way to keep a mission fast paced And give the option of the New Melee System is to make the toggle button for each melee mode a button on the keyboard. Like you can run through a mission and slide slash and jump and do AoE damage and just plain slash around. Then you can press, lets say "J", and then it switches to the New Melee System. Then once you are done you can press "J" again and it goes back to the original melee system.

I also read a while back that someone suggested a martial arts systems for the melee attacks.

I personally love melee attacks (still love the Kogake), and anything to make the control finer sounds good to me :).

Ah yes, more fine tuned melee play would be lovely. The current system isn't too bad, but the combos are a bit un-intuitive, I'd like more control over how I sweep my scindo around. Still though, my favorite thing in the game is doing a sprint>slide>flip-jump>melee dive attack to knock over a bunch of foes with the aoe after lunging at them from such an absurd distance, then gut them while they're on the ground. As long as I can still do that, I like this idea...

I also read a while back that someone suggested a martial arts systems for the melee attacks.

I personally love melee attacks (still love the Kogake), and anything to make the control finer sounds good to me :).

Ye i tried finding that Post as well but didnt have any luck. Also Kogake is my favorite melee weapon!

Ah yes, more fine tuned melee play would be lovely. The current system isn't too bad, but the combos are a bit un-intuitive, I'd like more control over how I sweep my scindo around. Still though, my favorite thing in the game is doing a sprint>slide>flip-jump>melee dive attack to knock over a bunch of foes with the aoe after lunging at them from such an absurd distance, then gut them while they're on the ground. As long as I can still do that, I like this idea...

Well if it went as i sugested then yea, you could switch between Melee Modes by pressing a keyboard key. You could sprint>slide>flip-jump>melee dive all you want then press the keyboard key to go to the second Melee system :)

That was me.  I was suggesting we have the option of replacing our regular abilities with animated martial arts/melee abilities.  That way everything is still fluid if you have your abilities mapped to keyboard.  The post is here:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/68907-tenno-foundation-for-martial-excellence/#entry732001 Leave me some feedback.  It would make the game more tactical, give it more depth and could, imo, be the "endgame" content we are missing.  I hope the devs get around to broadening the melee system soon.  Seems a lot of us want this.

Edited by alocrius