Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Mag's Power Not Dealing Magnetic Damage?

cary2010haha

Which one?

I think shield polarize should. But pull is much more of a physics ability...so it should be magnetic + impact.

Bullet attractor is utility. Skip.

Crush. Crushing bones etc sounds again like impact. 

I don't think it should be changed...but magnetics damage might already be in there.

Mag already does deal magnetic damage. While I'm not 100% certain Shield Polarize or the explosion from Bullet Attractor inflict magnetic damage, Pull and Crush definitely inflict 1.75x damage to shields and 1.5x damage to robotics.

That's what I thought, although I wasn't sure if it actually worked, since I sold Mag a while ago before U11.

Making shield polarize magnetic damage would nerf mag back into the stone age. She is a manipulator of shields and enemies, not a walking magnet.

Shield polarize is designed to use shields as a weapon, not just zap them.

If magnetic damage is dealt to shields, the damage is amplified by a factor of 1.75. If this damage exceeds the shield capacity of the enemy, the excess damage is modified depending on the surface type (divide by 1.75, and multiply by either 1x for crewmen or 1.5x for MOAs and ospreys). Shield Polarize will still drain 50% of an enemy's shields, multiply that number by 2.5, and apply that damage radially to nearby enemies. If nearby enemies are shielded, the 1.75x multiplier is applied to the damage they take.

Shield Polarize dealing magnetic damage would make Mag capable of inflicting more damage to Corpus than she already could (and I suspect that is actually the case).

Edited by PsycloneM

Mag's Shield Polarize should stay as it is. It's only viable against Corpus and Corrupted to begin with as only those have shields and the Blast damage type gives her the versatility she needs to be good against both. Having SP do magnetic damage might make it more powerful against Corpus (although it's already powerful enough) but it would also severely gimp it against Corrupted.

Mag's Shield Polarize should stay as it is. It's only viable against Corpus and Corrupted to begin with as only those have shields and the Blast damage type gives her the versatility she needs to be good against both. Having SP do magnetic damage might make it more powerful against Corpus (although it's already powerful enough) but it would also severely gimp it against Corrupted.

Now that heavy gunners no longer have shields, Shield Polarize isn't as deadly against Corrupted considering their shield pools would provide a massive amount of radial damage. It's still effective against clumps of crewmen with surrounding Orokin drones.

Anyway, I'm not convinced Shield Polarize does blast damage. Look at this example:

DtX0ZTu.jpg

Here we have a level 4 MOA that was just used as a damage source against another MOA. A level 4 MOA has 156 shields, so the maximum amount of damage (with Focus) that can be dealt before modifiers are applied is equal to:

156 x 0.5 x 2.5 x 1.3 x 1.3 = 329

So let's work backwards from the values displayed to estimate how much blast damage was inflicted (blast damage deals 0.75x damage to shields). Since the damage from Shield Polarize decreases with distance, we should expect something less than 329:

[ ( ( 330 x 0.75 ) + 162 ) ] / 0.75 = 546

The damage is too high. What if it was magnetic damage?

[ ( ( 330 / 1.5 ) x 1.75 + 162 ) ] / 1.75 = 312

This is why I suspect Shield Polarize has been dealing magnetic damage with U11.

Edited by PsycloneM