Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

★[Melee Mode Concept ~ Melee 2.0 Improvement/polishing]

Scherhardt

Will not update till Melee 2.0 get implemented.

Ol' Melee Mode

V1.1 [Melee Mode]
-Pressing 'Q' will put you in this mode and vice versa(to Ranged/Gun mode) ★Melee Switch!
-Switching modes take .5-1.5sec. (Can be unique for each frame) ★Melee Switch!
    -Just in case some people want instant switching (Quick Reflex Mod - decreases switching time.) ★Speed Holster Aura
    -You can switch at anytime.
-While in this mode you can only use melee attacks, but grants you extra armor, shield recharge and sprint speed. ★Confirmed
-Changes some button functionality to specific attack pattern. ★Fulfilled by the 2 different Stance Mods for each weapon and Melee Switch!
   - L-click = Shoot -> Vertical Slash/Kick 
   - R-click = Zoom -> Horizontal Slash/Punch
    - R button = Reload -> Grab(Has variations.)
         -Grab Variations
             - R+L-click -> Use enemy as a shield(Drains alot of stamina.). Pressing l-click again shoots 2ndry.
             - R+R-click -> Takedown
             - R+E button -> Choke an enemy to death? 40 DMG/per sec. (Drains stamina.)(Humanoids only.)
             -Ignores shields.

- E button = Quickdraw-> Special Attack
-Quickdraw ★ Confirmed to be staying.
         -Same as our current melee.
-Jump + E = Ground Slams 
-E on downed enemies = Finishers 
-Combo Flexibiliy!
-Charging an attack can be used just by holding the button. ★Heavy Stance Mod!
-With this mode doing combos increase your damage on every hit by 20% base. ★Combo Multiplier!
-Charge attacks don't benefit from this.
-Successive hits consume stamina.
-While in this mode stamina will only recharge when you stop attacking.
-Incase of stamina shortage.
            -Adrenaline/Battle Hunger WF/Melee Mod - each melee kill give you back a portion of stamina. ★Second Wind!
-While in this mode you can automatically block bullets. (Can be toggled in settings to auto or manual) ★Reflex Guard?!
-Stealth kills will have more animations depending w/c button you press.
-Makes your frame go in a custom stance. (Unique for each weapon type.) ★Melee 2.0 <3

Melee Mode V.1.2

-Hold/Toggable 'Tab' makes you go into melee mode.
-Changes button functionality on mouse.
-Removed the use of 'E' in ranged mode.
-Switching modes are possible anytime.
-You can no longer use melee without holding/toggling 'Tab' button.
-Add Light-Heavy Combo Sets for each weapon
    ~ L-Click - Light Combo Set
   ~ R-Click - Heavy Combo Set
-Heavy set is a series of charge attacks.
   -Attack speed is determined by Reflex Coil.
   -Holding the button is not required.
   -Can be chained.
-Weapon Specials by pressing 'E'.
-Specials consume ¾ your stamina when used.
-Deals charge damage.

Gauntlets/Hand-to-Hand - Let out a straight punch that hits multiple enemies.
Staff/Spear - Does 5-hit stabs to an enemy. (Damage is divided.)
Long Sword - Does a barrage of light slashes(7-slashes) to the enemy.
Dagger - Pounce on an enemy and do a finisher.
Heavy - Crush/cut an enemy to bits/half if its HP is low.
Scythe - Snag an enemy and throw him to another enemy or a wall. (Tap 'E' again to throw.)
Throwable - Commands the weapon to come back to you.

-Custom idle stance for each weapon type.
-Permanent melee buff. Please don't make this into a mod.
-All Slash Type Weapons will have 'Bleed Effect' on every strike. ★Damage 2.0!Bleed Proc but tis weak.
    -Bleed will start out at 12 DMG increasing additively. Affected by Pressure Point Mod.
-Using Charge Attack will increase Bleed DMG by 2 times.
      e.g - 24,48..... 120 by using charge, 12, 24.....120 by using normal.
     -Bleed does damage every time you hit using melee. 
     -Max Bleed DMG is capped at 120/260 max with pressure point.
-All Blunt/Impact Type Weapons will have chance to stun and slow enemies.
     -Stunned enemies can be grabbed by pressing Q.
     -Enemies should have some sort of indication that they're stunned.
     -Can be used in either melee/ranged mode.
     -Can also be used in stealth.
     -Has variations.
           ~ Q+ L-Click - Use enemy as a shield(Drains alot of stamina.).
             -Pressing l-click again shoots secondary.
             -Can move slowly.
           ~ Q+ R-Click - Disarm.
           ~ Q+ E button - Chokehold. 40 DMG/per sec. (Drains stamina.)
             -Ignores shields.
             -Humanoid only.

= New Stuff = Update = Partially Fulfilled or Fulfilled

V1.1 Got more attention from the devs lol

Edited by Scherhardt

+1 A toggleable melee mode alongside the current 'gun mode' would be an awesome thing to have.

Perhaps even take the 'flip' so far as making the melee button into "shoot", where pressing melee key while in Melee mode pulls out the primary for snap shots.

As much as I'd like a melee mode, I still want to be able to shoot while slashing stuff.

While perhaps not 100% on everything I appreciate the effort. Something needs to be done with melee being what it is today - dull and monotone.

A thing that might be worth mentioning is that DE has said that they want to avoid "finger gymnastics". How far this goes is har to tell when not working there :P But perhaps a "grab" key could be something.

Blocking/ counterstiking should perhaps also stagger/stun and have increased crit/damage done?

anyways +1 for the effort.

I've been proposing a melee mode since I started posting here.

Long switch times aren't really necessary; just enough time to put your gun on your back in an orderly fashion.

Switching should take as long as switching to your secondary.

A mod decreasing switch time should be fun for all those who want to make gunkatas.

I would like this for a lot of reasons, but it seems rough to implement without being a total rework for every melee weapon. but it would give holy hell loads more customization on different attacks, the type of attack and so forth.  this means every weapon could have a form of armor ignore or pierce attack type, status type attacks such as stagger or knockdown and maybe ......what ever other creative ideas could make fit in there.

do note: I said certain attacks on the ignore/piercing bit, not all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

what if in order for this persons concern

As much as I'd like a melee mode, I still want to be able to shoot while slashing stuff.

How about you hold melee like a hold to use mode, and you can use your slash attacks with mouse 1+2.

edit: now that i think about it maybe i didn't make it sound better.

For me melee is tied to my mouse button five i think( allows me to go back on internet pages) so spamming/holding isn't that big a deal for me to be able to hold it to use melee mode. 

additionally i think that special move for long swords falls short.  Why not have it be quick successive slashes.

Edited by r3dzer0

what if in order for this persons concern

How about you hold melee like a hold to use mode, and you can use your slash attacks with mouse 1+2.

Read V1.1 in spoiler.  DE don't want finger gymnastics but will think about it. Summing up peoples opinions and try to incorporate them next version. 

yeah i read it all.  I know much about their finger gymnastics but as EC has said, Slide slash attack.  That's a gymnastic experience in and of itself(luckily i bound my slide to my mouse 4)  I just think it would add the ability for people to quickly switch between sword and gun by releasing( obviously you can still incorporate a toggle function and have the switch time cuz it does take time to draw your weapon either way)

yeah i read it all.  I know much about their finger gymnastics but as EC has said, Slide slash attack.  That's a gymnastic experience in and of itself(luckily i bound my slide to my mouse 4)  I just think it would add the ability for people to quickly switch between sword and gun by releasing( obviously you can still incorporate a toggle function and have the switch time cuz it does take time to draw your weapon either way)

Yea same for me my almost all my controls are bound to different keys. Thanks for your opinion, will keep that hold button in mind. I will not stop updating this thread until DE does something to melee.

Read V1.1 in spoiler.  DE don't want finger gymnastics but will think about it. Summing up peoples opinions and try to incorporate them next version. 

W+Shift+Ctrl+E=DE already having Finger Gymnastics.

Actually, W+Shift+Ctrl for a slide is terrible.

W+Shift+Spacebar for a vertical/horizontal wallrun is also pretty heinous.

They need to fix Melee and Parkour to not have 'finger gymnastics'.

Slide attacks are pretty easy to pull off, though...? Getting it to hit is another thing, but I never had any problems executing it. Maybe because I set ctrl to toggle crouch instead of hold crouch :/

_

Honestly I think that a good way to prevent any more addition of finger gymnastics is to make sure that melee mode is a function swap of existing keyset, and not an expansion of adding to the already-complicated keyset. Something like V1.1's melee mode swap, coupled with V2's combo-sets which are more in line with current "gun mode" meleeing with light, fast strikes.

_

Add one button to swap between modes, use Lclick for faster attacks (normal melee moveset), Rclick for heavier interruptable blows (new moveset based off charge attack as first move), add in jump/slide/wall move variants for use with Heavy blows (jump/slide/wall+Rclick), tap E to hip-fire secondary. Possibly expand by making combos triggered by alternating Lclick and Rclick.

Edited by Shion963

Add me to the list of people believing the making melee more prevalent will only help this game.  I +1 you for the theory, but some of the ideas seem overly complicated.  Remember that the easier your idea is to implement, the better chance DE takes a look and says "Just maybe..."

The Melee Mode toggle idea is great.  I say leave existing E button for basic and charge melee attacks.  You could in theory even leave the finger gymnastics, but I'd rather also see a Parkour Mode as well.  So all the things we can do with the keyboard more or less remain in tact, but add advanced controls which add a whole new dimension to the game.

However until using melee is near or as effective as shooting everything with weapons or spamming alternatives, most power gamers will ask "Why bother?"  And right now it seems the power gamers rule the forums and feedback.

Good thoughts in any case, hopefully DE looks into something like this.

Add me to the list of people believing the making melee more prevalent will only help this game.  I +1 you for the theory, but some of the ideas seem overly complicated.  Remember that the easier your idea is to implement, the better chance DE takes a look and says "Just maybe..."

The Melee Mode toggle idea is great.  I say leave existing E button for basic and charge melee attacks.  You could in theory even leave the finger gymnastics, but I'd rather also see a Parkour Mode as well.  So all the things we can do with the keyboard more or less remain in tact, but add advanced controls which add a whole new dimension to the game.

However until using melee is near or as effective as shooting everything with weapons or spamming alternatives, most power gamers will ask "Why bother?"  And right now it seems the power gamers rule the forums and feedback.

Good thoughts in any case, hopefully DE looks into something like this.

Thanks for the feedback man.

Yea, I understand that but believe it or not I know DE will be taking action to improve melee in U11 even if it's not the same idea as this one. No matter what it is I don't really care as long as it's to make melee combat better. I'd like to see what's in store in the future. 

If you've read V.1 'E' is kept the same. I've thinking about keeping it for awhile now and it didn't feel right for me so I decided to remove it and see how other people see it. Also about Parkour Mode, I do agree that we should have that and it should be while we're sprinting(Automatic Free Run). That being said wallrunning won't be such a hassle.

HAHAHA, yea. I'm waiting for Armor 2.0 before I think of some stuff to balance melee and ranged weapons. 1st idea is to make some enemies invulerable to ranged weapons, some enemies to melee.