Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Concept: Ronin

Vargras

Had a bit of a computer kerfufle, and so now I'm keeping myself busy with more warframe mockups while I wait on everything to install. I have too much fun with these things anyways. This time around, I'll be including the inspiration(s) for the overall theme, as well as the various skills, to give a bit of insight as to why I chose things.

Ronin Overview

The idea behind a samurai warframe is nothing new, and has indeed been done before. Few have managed to catch on though, and several brought nothing new to the table. I feel there's still room to explore something that's obviously popular enough to lead to the creation of several topics, and I hope my own take on it will be interesting enough.

Why A Samurai?

The samurai, as we know it, is centuries old. Much as the "bloodthirsty berserker" is iconic, so too is the "honor-bound warrior", and yet it's something that has yet to be explored within the game. There's plenty of room for some cool and unique abilities, while still retaining the proper feel. Before any of you say "but he's not a ninja", I'd like to point out that pretty much none of the existing frames are either.

Lore

Harkening back to the ancient samurai from the pre-Orokin era, the Ronin were typically reserved for the Honor Guard of the Emperor. With the Orokin gone, and the Emperor with it, the Ronin now found themselves in the same situation as the very men they had been named after. The embodiment of the very same tenents they're sworn to uphold, Ronin is frighteningly adept with a blade, and is a masterful duelist, thriving on the battlefield.

Inspirations

In recent media, major inspirations have been Jetstream Sam (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance), and Poppy, Yasuo, and Master Yi (League of Legends). Going back further than that, the seven virtues of Bushido (literally "the way of the warrior" in Japanese, and the way of life for samurai) were an even bigger inspiration, with all of his skills taking their names and actions from those seven virtues, with those being:

-Rectitude

-Courage

-Benevolence

-Respect

-Honesty

-Honor

-Loyalty

Stats

Level 1/Level 30

Health: 150/450

Shield: 100/300

Armor: 160

Power: 100/150

Abilities

Blade Dance - 25 Energy

Ronin invokes the tenent of Rectitude and charges at the selected enemy, dealing 100/150/200/250 damage. Ronin will automatically charge additional nearby enemies, dealing 25% more damage for every additional charge, up to a maximum of 5/6/7/8 targets.

Affected By: Strength, Range, Efficiency mods

Inspiration: Master Yi's Alpha Strike (League of Legends)

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130817050034/leagueoflegends/images/2/29/Master_Yi_QVideo.ogv

Reasoning: Following feedback, this skill has been modified from the original version. Damage now starts low and ramps up for each additional target struck. Though the damage ramp starts off slow, it begins to ramp up very quickly, turning Ronin into a powerhouse. An example of a max rank Blade Dance, before mods: 250 > 312 > 390 > 488 > 610 > 763 > 954 > 1193. As you can see, though the initial damage starts off quite week in comparison to other 25 energy abilities, it has the potential to become more powerful with enough enemies available.

The skill was based off Master Yi's Alpha Strike (and an example video of the skill may be found via the link above), as it would be a unique enough mechanism to not just be "Slash Dash v2.0", while still retaining the overall "feel" of Ronin. If you want to take the style to the max: enemies take no damage from the ability until Ronin completes Blade Dance and sheathes his melee weapon, at which point all damage would instantly be dealt. Enemies killed by the damage are dismembered. Camera would take on a more cinematic approach during the skill, much like Ash's Blade Storm (because let's be honest, charging very quickly and to multiple enemies would be kinda nauseating in third-person).

Provoke - 50 Energy

Ronin taunts the opposition, enraging nearby enemies. Enraged enemies deal 20/30/40/50% more damage and attack 20/30/40/50% faster, but also receive 200/300/400/500% more damage.

Affected By: Strength, Range, Duration, Efficiency mods

Inspiration: Jetstream Sam's taunt (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance)

Reasoning: A bit unorthodox compared to some other buffs that increase enemy damage taken (such as Banshee's Sonar), but still effective, and adds some utility. It also acts a double-edged sword, meaning intelligent play will reward a good Ronin player with even more damage (and it'll reward a bad one with being downed). No more mindless button pressing -- you better watch when you use this one.

Duel - 75 Energy

Ronin invokes the tenent of Honor and engages in a duel with the targeted enemy. While active, Ronin may not damage non-Duel targets, may not be knocked down, and may only use his melee weapon. Damage dealt to the opposing duelist is increased by 20/30/40/50%, and 50% of damage dealt by all attacks will strike enemies within 2 meters. Winning the Duel gives Ronin an adrenaline rush, causing him to move 15/20/25/30% faster and to regenerate 35/40/45/50 energy over the next 5 seconds. Effect ends when the opposing duelist is defeated or after 15 seconds have elapsed.

Affected By: Strength, Range, Efficiency mods

Inspiration: Poppy's Diplomatic Immunity (League of Legends)

Reasoning: True to being a duelist, Duel allows Ronin to engage high-risk targets, even in the thick of battle. Winning the duel can give you a much-needed speed and energy boost, giving you an edge.

Lightning Reflexes - 100 Energy

Ronin invokes the tenent of Courage, drawing his melee weapon with such speed that the world around him seems to slow down. While active, Ronin will redirect all enemy attacks to himself and automatically parry, deflecting projectiles and causing them to ricochet and bounce towards enemies, dealing 25/50/75/100% of the original damage. Melee attackers are dismembered.

Affected By: Strength, Range, Duration, Efficiency mods

Inspiration: Yasuo's Wind Wall (League of Legends), Raiden's Ninja Run (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance).

Reasoning: Ronin's ultimate should be suitably badass, and there's nothing else I can think of than parrying so quickly and with enough skill to deflect bullets. Melee attackers would instead get sliced and diced, so the skill isn't completely useless against Infested. It's also worth noting that enemies wouldn't actually slow down -- the wording is there to explain how Ronin is able to parry so quickly.

Please leave all comments and feedback below, and thanks for reading.

Update List

1/18/14

-Duel: Added a melee-only stipulation, added a cleave effect to additional nearby enemies, and added a "hard" limit of 15 seconds on the skill to prevent abuse. Removed the invincibility component - Ronin now receives a buff for winning the duel, giving him energy regeneration and a speed boost for 5 seconds.

-Added what mods affect what abilities

1/17/14

-Duel: Upgrading the skill now increases damage dealt to the opposing duelist, instead of increasing the number of duelists. Ronin is now also immune to knockdown effects while Duel is active.

-Blade Dance: Reworked, now works inverse to the original version. Blade Dance now starts off dealing low damage, dealing 25% more for each additional "jump".

Edited by Vargras

His first seems a little OP, but he still looks really cool.

Biggest thing about is that it loses 25% damage for each jump. Stronger than the other 25s against 1 or 2 enemies, but it quickly loses its edge when multiple enemies are involved.

Not to be picky but it's not a duel anymore against more than 1 enemy X)

But I like it ! unfortunately the katana and scabbard concept hasn't made it into the contest D: 

I'm aware it's not really a duel, but I'm not sure how the skill would be improved by ranking it up, other than letting you target more enemies. Perhaps having it deal bonus damage?

I'm aware it's not really a duel, but I'm not sure how the skill would be improved by ranking it up, other than letting you target more enemies. Perhaps having it deal bonus damage?

Yup, bonus damage seems legit, as you can't damage other enemies you have to finish the dueling one quickly. 

BTW I love this concept !

Not really, Radial Blind is super useful. Same for Javelin and Super Jump.

I meant more stylistically, since these moves fit a swordsman archetype much more idealistically than Excalibur's kit.

I mean it's a highly mobile kit and... alright in power level but Radial Blind? Super Jump? Javelin? These skills are perfectly fine for Tenno Space Marine Ninja but I feel do not really express the style of an honor-bound swordsman. 

Excalibur looks like Naruto compared to this guy.

Blade Dance: I can only imagine working if it really is Alpha-strike in execution.

Small, fast (See: FAST), subtle animations with a flashier strike on the final enemy (All enemies take damage simultaneously, or really friggin fast)

On that note I suggest reversing the damage concept, making it start low and building up to a high damage hit. 

Duel seems problematic, because invulnerability is problematic, and at it's core this move is invuln on demand.

Most of the things you would "Duel" would likely be things with melee-knockdown. Unless melee 2.0 gives you a counter to that, or you build a spec that counters that then I only see it being used to become invulnerable while you line up a head-shot.

With the current pace of the game it does not seem too feasible to spend the time casting this, baiting a knockdown, then going in for melee when most of the time you run with ranged weapons that deal with heavies quickly (at least I do)

The other two abilities, if implemented the way you describe, actually seem like a synergistic combo and a lot of fun to me. 

With the current state of deflection damage though, LR will not do impressive damage without Provoke. So if Provoke animation is long or roots you then this will be less satisfying to use.

Edited by Mewtiger

I meant more stylistically, since these moves fit a swordsman archetype much more idealistically than Excalibur's kit.

I mean it's a highly mobile kit and... alright in power level but Radial Blind? Super Jump? Javelin? These skills are perfectly fine for Tenno Space Marine Ninja but I feel do not really express the style of an honor-bound swordsman. 

Excalibur looks like Naruto compared to this guy.

Q I can only imagine working if it really is Alpha-strike in execution.

Small, fast (See: FAST), subtle animations with a flashier strike on the final enemy (All enemies take damage simultaneously, or really friggin fast)

On that note I suggest reversing the damage concept, making it start low and building up to a high damage hit. 

Duel seems problematic, because invulnerability is problematic, and at it's core this move is invuln on demand.

Most of the things you would "Duel" would likely be things with melee-knockdown. Unless melee 2.0 gives you a counter to that, or you build a spec that counters that then I only see it being used to become invulnerable while you line up a head-shot.

With the current pace of the game it does not seem too feasible to spend the time casting this, baiting a knockdown, then going in for melee when most of the time you run with ranged weapons that deal with heavies quickly (at least I do)

The other two abilities, if implemented the way you describe, actually seem like a synergistic combo and a lot of fun to me. 

With the current state of deflection damage though, it will not do impressive damage without Provoke. So if Provoke animation is long or roots you then this will be less satisfying to use.

I'll make some tweaks, based upon what you've said. Thanks for the feedback.

THe samurai frame....could he look like this?

hakumen-intro.gif

It's possible. An early iteration of his skillset played off the idea of him having a a sashimono (or back banner. Believe me, you've seen one before) like the ones below, with one of the skills using said banner.

401px-Kuniyoshi_-_6_Select_Heroes_%28S81

Additionally you might want to limit Duel to melee, because that - in theory- is what keeps that and Valkyr's ult balanced. 

Don't know if you noticed, but I added a stipulation that Duel ends immediately upon killing the selected target. Also worth pointing out that he neither receives damage nor can deal damage to non-Duel targets -- so long as Duel is active, he can only damage and be damaged by the Duel target, meaning the skill is mostly reserved for high-risk enemies, such as Bombards or Ancients.

Might add in additional stipulations that prevent Ronin from using ranged weaponry or interacting with objectives, so he doesn't just become another Valkyr in that his invincibility is used in high-level play to safely revive team mates.

Edited by Vargras