Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Healing

Kalenath

Betrayal

She ran. There wasn’t really any point to it, but she had to try. She had to do what she could to get away. She cursed herself once more for being a trusting fool, for believing when told that transport was coming. She wasn’t a warrior, trained in intelligence and counter intelligence. She was a doctor, a healer. She wasn’t…

“Healer! Stop!” A sharp voice from nearby called and the Tenno known as Iriana put on an extra burst of speed as the white streak of a tranquilizer dart flashed by where she had been. “Please!” The male voice called as she ran.

She had wanted to help. She had hoped to help. Instead, she had been betrayed. The human colony on Mercury that she had been supposed to assist had been decimated by a Grineer slaving raid. And not recently. The few bodies that were left had been sitting out for at least a week. Far longer than the supposed distress call that had brought her here away from her support. When she had tried to escape back to the tower, her portal key had been snatched out of her hand by an unseen assailant and she had fled. She was… She gave a sharp cry and pulled her short Skana as an Ash warframe appeared in front of her in a puff of smoke. He raised empty hands.

“Healer.” He said in a moderating voice. “Don’t be stupid. We won’t hurt you. We won’t. We just need to…sequester you for a while. We have work for you to do, but… not here.”

“Liar.” Iriana snapped. She glanced to the sides, but one side was a sheer drop, the other a wide open field. She would be a sitting duck trying to cross such a place. “Is that what you scum told Dust? Told Jasmina?” One friend was dead. The other? No one spoke of her. It had taken Iriana a month to discover that Jasmina still lived, but no one would tell her anything except that the female Tenno had gone rogue. For Jasmina to do that… The mind boggled.

“Healer, please.” The Ash pleaded. Another form appeared nearby, this one a Trinity warframe with a tranquilizer gun in hand. A familiar one.

Alicia.” Iriana spat. “I should have known. Karl did this! What did you do to Brownie? To Jasmina?”

“Iriana.” The combat medic of Karl’s clan said sadly. “Please. I don’t understand everything that is going on here, but you are needed. This was a cover, a ploy to get you out of sight. You are needed. There are lots of people who need healing.” Iriana looked from the Trinity to the Ash, but her attention was on Alicia and when Alicia fired again, the Healer’s short Skana blocked the shot.

“Actions speak louder than words, Alicia. You are lying.” Iriana snarled, then she screamed as the Ash teleported close and wrenched the Skana from her hand. He backed away as she recoiled, clutching her suddenly throbbing arm. Even not fighting to kill, warframes were insanely strong. “Using a warframe… on a medic…” Iriana spat. “So… honorable…”

“Iriana, it’s okay.” Alicia tried to calm the irate healer. “A little sleep and you will wake up somewhere where they need you. They will explain. We cannot explain here.”

“Is that what you told Brownie?” Iriana nearly screamed. “When you gave her back to the scum who hurt her?”

“Healer, I didn’t.” Alicia said sadly. “I know you are upset. Just… easy…” She raised the pistol and froze as Iriana took a step towards the cliff. “Iriana… no…” Alicia stepped back, her posture scared.

“You took that hurt girl from me and gave her back to that scum Redi!” Iriana snapped. That betrayal had cut the deepest. She had trusted Karl and his people. They had returned her trust with horror. When she had found out about that, she had left Karl’s dojo without a word and not returned any of his people’s calls. “You are no healer!” She would not let them do the same to her. Or worse, use her to hurt another innocent.

“I am Tenno.” Alicia said sadly. “I obey orders. And right now, my orders are to sedate you and bring you to people who need you. Close your eyes, Iriana. It won’t hurt.”

“No.” Iriana said with a sigh. “It won’t.” Then she threw herself off the cliff! Her scream faded quickly.

No!” Alicia screamed as she ran to the cliff side. The Ash ran with her and both peered down with both sensors and visual scanning. Her rangefinder told the story. Between three and four hundred meters down into forest. “No…” Alicia begged.

“She might have…” The Ash said, dazed. “A ledge, a vinesomething!” Alicia shook her head and the Ash pleaded. “I’ll go look!”

“Be careful, Janas.” Alicia said soberly. “I… I need to report this. If you find her… Maybe we can… I…” She slumped. He nodded and threw himself from the cliff. Heights mattered not in a warframe, but Iriana hadn’t been wearing one. “Damn it, what am I going to tell Sara and Mishka? Or Serene?”

Iriana’s first thought on waking was wonder that she had. The second thought was a loud and fervent ‘Ow’. She opened her eyes and gasped in shock. She was hanging over empty air. She could see the trees far beneath her, but when she tried to move, her left leg suddenly hurt. She looked at it and gasped. Seeing bone stabbing up from skin was never a good thing. Seeing it in two places? Worse. She struggled to move herself upright and screamed as pain flared in other places. She looked at herself and shook her head.

“And it started as such a good day too.” She said weakly as she catalogued her injuries. Badly broken right arm wedged in between two rocks, compound breaks in the bones of her left leg. Bleeding from a deep gash in her side, probably caused by a rock. Pain in her face, multiple…

“Ma’am?” A quiet voice said and she looked up to see a human clinging to the rock beside her. The woman wore an odd garment that seemed to be made of rope. Or… the rope was holding her to another rope that went up a ways. Her gloves were coated with something that clung to the rock. “Can you move? A Grineer patrol is ten minutes out.” Iriana shook her head.

“Leave me.” Iriana said weakly. “Can’t… get loose…”

“We don’t leave people to the Grineer, Ma’am.” The woman said with a scowl and spoke louder. “Found our screamer. She is hurt bad. I need the basket. And make it snappy!”

“No…” Iriana begged as the woman moved closer, hands moving with professional skill to assess her injuries. “Don’t…”

“The only thing holding you in is the arm, Ma’am.” The odd woman said calmly. “But it is broken bad.” She reached into a pocket as something long and thin appeared beside the woman. Some kind of basket on a rope? Then it clicked. Iriana had read once about something called a ‘Stokes basket’ used in mountain rescues. This looked a lot like that. “I need to get you out and into the basket. I don’t have any drugs with me, but…” She held out a long thin rod. It was covered in what looked like leather. “Bite on this.”

“You can’t help me.” Iriana said, her strength waning. Somehow, she knew she was bleeding internally.

“Not on the side of cliff, no, Ma’am.” The odd woman said with a shrug. “I ain’t leaving you here for the Grineer to use for target practice.” She put the rod into Iriana’s mouth and the Healer bit down. The other woman took hold with practiced grips and pulled. Pain flared and Iriana could only take it for a moment before she blacked out.

“What do you mean she jumped?” Karl demanded, his face ashen under his open faceplate. He stood on his ship, staring at Alicia who slumped in the middle of the tiny ship’s cabin.

“She realized it was a set up. We stopped her from portaling, but…” Alicia said sadly. “She ran. Janas and I caught her easily, but… She demanded to know what happened to the girl, what happened to Jasmina. Then… There was a cliff… She jumped.” The Trinity was crying. “I… None of us wanted to hurt her!”

“How… far…?” Karl asked, his whole being still.

“Three, four hundred meters to the bottom. Forest. We couldn’t see her land.” Alicia bowed her head. “Janas went to see if there was a ledge, a vine… something she might have landed on or caught.” She suddenly shouted. “I was trying not to hurt her!

“You did your best.” Karl said softly. “You never do anything less.” He patted her shoulder gently. “Go on, go home. Rest. This isn’t your fault.”

“It feels like my fault.” Alicia said as she turned to the airlock that led to her own ship. Then she paused. ‘”Karl… I mean no disrespect… But what are we doing?” She begged.

“Damage control.” Karl said with a sigh. “When Jasmina... left… All kinds of things went screwy. The majority of the Infested vanishing is not a good sign.” Alicia swallowed hard and he nodded. “We have to be ready. If… If Iriana is… I will tell Serene, Sara and Mishka. They were looking forward to seeing her.”

“I know.” Alicia said, tears falling freely. “Janas will search until he finds a body. Grineer are swarming.”

“I will call other kin.” Karl said sadly. “We will find her and bring her home. Alive… or otherwise.”

“Amelia and Two are going to…” Alicia swallowed hard again. “I… I can’t say I blame them. They love her.”

“We all do.” Karl said with a sigh. “My responsibility, Alicia. I will tell them. Go on. Will needs you.”

Will… hadn’t been the same since Jasmina had told off the Empress of the remnants of Orokin and vanished without a trace. He spent his time outside of missions in solitary meditation. He barely even trained anymore.

“I don’t know what he is seeking.” Alicia said sadly. “Aeron and Karen are not any better. So… cold.” She shivered a bit.

Aeron and Karen rarely talked to Karl or anyone else now. They went out and did missions with clockwork efficiency. Then they both returned and spent their time alone, practicing with weapon, training. The few attempts that Alicia had tried to get through had been completely ignored. The pair of snipers defined scary. They didn’t talk, didn’t seem to communicate at all. They just moved in harmony with each other with a grace and skill that was terrifying even for Tenno.

“We all prepare for the worst in our own way, Sister Alicia.” Olim said from where he knelt nearby. He and Mori were basically the only members of the clan who hadn’t changed. Outwardly at least. Olim was still the same, but… cautious with the others. Alicia didn’t blame him. Her clan was falling apart around her. “I am sorry. I barely knew Iriana and I mourn her.”

“She is not dead until we find a body.” Alicia said fiercely. “And maybe not even then, if Mori’s people can do anything.” Mori shrugged from where she stood behind Olim even now. She took her bodyguard duty very seriously. She hadn’t spoken much since the debacle at Avalon. “I’ll go… rest.” Alicia said heavily. “Let me know… I owe her… for Raven. For me…” She pleaded.

“We will.” Karl promised. Only after she was gone did he turn to Olim. “Can you track Iriana? She has an emergency tracer.”

“I think so.” Olim said slowly. “You want me to try?” Mori stiffened and Karl shook his head.

“That area is swarming with Grineer.” Karl said sadly. “We need to whittle them down or distract them before we risk you.”

“And if Iriana is bleeding her life out on a ledge somewhere?” Olim asked softly, not arguing. Clarifying.

“Getting you killed won’t help her.” Karl said softly. Mori relaxed and Karl nodded to her. “What word?”

“The portals have not been activated at all.” Mori replied, her tone hard. “The tunnels have been scoured. No sign of where they went.” She shook her head. “Karl… I…”

“We were both obeying orders.” Karl said with a sigh. “It seemed so simple. Kill the Infested. It wasn’t until Jasmina jerked us all up that I realized it wasn’t simple at all. I should have seen it.” He said, shaking his head again. “I didn’t know she commanded the group who took control of the Caretaker facility. But to tell you the honest truth? I don’t blame her for her reaction.”

“Even the Empress doesn’t.” Mori said with a matching sigh. “Pregnant, suddenly exposed to sentient Infested… and then… betrayed? By Redi? By us? Then losing her mate? No. No one blames her.” She slumped a bit. “I am not surprised she reacted as she did. I was surprised by the Glaive.” When an unarmed Tenno smuggled a weapon into the presence of an Empress? Oh yes, that had been a shock.

“We all were.” Karl said with a wince. “Where the hell did she hide that?”

“I don’t think she did.” Olim said, his tone thoughtful and the other two looked at him. “Think about it. Every scanner Orokin had was focused on her. Every scan I could do was focused on her. We read her through her warframe down to her DNA. The scans saw the Infested implant, they saw the tiny fetus even just a few days old. They would not have missed a Glaive. No way.”

“Then how did she…?” Mori snapped, then froze. “No…”

“Yes. Legend says that when the First was first attacked by his Nemesis, he manifested the Glaive. Not drew it, not summoned it, he manifested it.” Olim said quietly. “As in, created it from himself at need.”

“You cannot be comparing her to the First.” Mori said, stunned. “She is not Hayden Tenno!”

“No.” Olim said quietly. “But she was stuck. Surrounded by enemies. And think of what she did with it. She made it dance in mid-air.” Both other Tenno stilled. “Yes. ‘-and the First made the sharp metal disc dance in mid-air as if alive’ as is quoted from the Codex. Small wonder Aeron and Will are having crises of faith. Small wonder.” The Cyberlancer repeated. Karl swallowed heavily. “I am too.” Olim admitted.

“Oh boy.” Karl said with a sigh. “I… don’t know what to think. Right now, we need to find Iriana. Alive or dead, we need to find her.”

“And then?” Olim asked. “If she is alive and she asks the questions we do not have answers to?”

“Then we try to find answers.” Karl said with an unfamiliar feeling. Helplessness.

Iriana woke to pain. It was everywhere. She was pain. It was… A stick in her arm made it recede and she gasped, but… There was a tube in her mouth. She opened her eyes, er, one eye, the other didn’t work. She stared up into the face of the woman from the cliff side.

“We had to put a tube in, Ma’am.” The woman said softly. “Your throat was swelling, blocking your air. We have to get your leg in a splint. Your arm…” She trailed off as Iriana nodded. She had seen the mess of her right arm. “Don’t try to move. You may have spinal injuries. Our scanner is not that great and its batteries don’t last long. They are recharging now. I wanted to get your bleeding under control first.” Iriana moved her left hand a bit and the woman took it. “We will help you, okay?”

You can’t. Iriana tried to send the message, but it obviously didn’t convey. Dear ancestors, please don’t die for me…

“You are okay, Ma’am.” The woman said gently. “We will take care of you. We won’t leave anyone for the Grineer.” She gave Iriana’s hand a squeeze.

The Grineer… Iriana thought and something in her eye spoke to the woman who gave her hand another squeeze.

“You are safe here, Ma’am.” The odd woman said gently. “These caves are scanner resistant. The Grineer haven’t found us.”

Yet. Iriana thought as darkness crowded her vision. But they are not the major threat. If the Tenno come here… Oh I hope the Tenno cannot find me, hurt these people who have helped me.

The woman let go of Iriana’s hand and checked an old style IV bag that hung nearby. No direct osmosis feeds here. No, this had a tube, probably with a needle into her bloodstream and everything. Ancient tech, but totally workable.

“We are going to put you out so we can set your leg and work on your arm.” The woman said gently. “We are not doctors, but we have experience with broken bones.” She looked with compassion at Iriana. “There is more, but those are the worst.”

Iriana swallowed past the tube and then closed her eye. She could not fight, could not flee. All she could do was lie there and hope.

“My name is Pat.” The woman said gently, taking Iriana’s hand again. “We will talk when you wake. We should be able to take the tube out then.”

Iriana slumped, feeling her meagre energy waning. Pat did something and Iriana felt faint. But then her eye flew open as a voice sounded nearby. But her vision as fuzzing.

“Pat?” The male voice was… familiar. “How bad is she?”

“She is a mess, Artus.” Pat said with a sigh. “I think she is almost out. I need your help to set the leg.”

“Anything I can do.” The male voice said wearily. “The others are taken care of.” Then the voice exclaimed. “Wait!” Iriana stared up at… a dark colored Volt warframe. She felt fear cascade through her. “Do I know you?”

She was begging, pleading and crying in equal measure as whatever drug she had been given dragged her into oblivion.

Had to, i have been checking for this every 5 mins for like 6 hours >.>

I have to say... i totally expected Iriana to react like that.  Not the cliff jumping bit, but the angry, betrayed, running away bit.

Seriously, what was Karl's thought process on this? 

"Let me just blindly follow the order of this queen i just met who knows nothing of Redi or the galaxy outside of her throne room, betray half of my clan, hand over a human I'm protecting to a mad man, almost kill every Tenno in the universe,  and then expect everyone to just...understand?"

Edited by Vahlak

Jeez, you weren't kidding, things ARE gonna get worse. I can smell it.

Things always get worse.  Then a little better.  Then someone dies and goes all orokin / infested ghost thing.  And then something goes wrong.  And someone gets pregnant.  And then has their baby removed.  And then Karl comes in bustin' skulls.  Or would, if everyone didn't hate his guts right now.

Had to, i have been checking for this every 5 mins for like 6 hours >.>

I have to say... i totally expected Iriana to react like that.  Not the cliff jumping bit, but the angry, betrayed, running away bit.

Seriously, what was Karl's thought process on this? 

"Let me just blindly follow the order of this queen i just met who knows nothing of Redi or the galaxy outside of her throne room, betray half of my clan, hand over a human I'm protecting to a mad man, almost kill every Tenno in the universe,  and then expect everyone to just...understand?"

Let people who had betrayed her use her for more horror, or end herself. Hard choice.

Ahnd if you think IRIANA is taking it badly... Think about what KARL is going through right now. His honor screwed him. Obeying what seemed to be -on the surface anyway- lawful orders to do some good cost a friend -Dust- his life, cost him the friendship of another friend -Jasmina- and now, NO ONE who knew anything about what happened is going to trust him.

Oh yeah, he is upset.

See1  post above yours.  :)

Yeah. Karl is... not happy. Which means LOTS of people are not going to be happy in the very near future. The Grineer on Mercury are in for a VERY bad week.

Thing is, he THOUGHT he was doing the right thing. Which makes it worse. No one -not even Redi- knew that the machine was flawed until Redi turned it on. That doesn't change the fact that KARL was responsible. He took orders, yes, but he cannot tell most people WHO he took orders FROM, so almost everyone is going to think he did it on his own.

Yeah, sucks to be him atm. I don't blame him for being angry.

Edited by Kalenath

And i thought Tenno had this code of honor thing to prevent them from blindly following an order that they CLEARLY know is wrong.   I mean war-time is one thing.   Giving a madman back his test subject, who is a human under your care, is another.

And Karl is not stupid. 

Yeah. Karl is... not happy. Which means LOTS of people are not going to be happy in the very near future. The Grineer on Mercury are in for a VERY bad week.

Hah.  Mercury.   Can you have Karl or Iriana punch Vor in the face and take away his void key for good?  Please?

Also, SOMEBODY needs a djinn sentinel, I think it's one of the few things not mentioned in one of your stories..

And i thought Tenno had this code of honor thing to prevent them from blindly following an order that they CLEARLY know is wrong.   I mean war-time is one thing.   Giving a madman back his test subject, who is a human under your care, is another.

And Karl is not stupid. 

No, he is not. He hoped that the Infested could be stopped with no harm to Brownie or Elenia. He trusted the Empress. He won't again.

It wasn't an easily disobeyed order. We shall see more about that in coming posts. As angry as Karl is atm? Michelle is FURIOUS. As furious as Jasmina was and for much the same reason.

As the Lotus said, Eliza really screwed the pooch. She convinced Karl to act against his better judgment.  Never again.

Hah.  Mercury.   Can you have Karl or Iriana punch Vor in the face and take away his void key for good?  Please?

Also, SOMEBODY needs a djinn sentinel, I think it's one of the few things not mentioned in one of your stories..

Never say never. *shifty eyes*

Edited by Kalenath

I think Karl needs to have two contradicting orders, 1 from Eliza, whom i refuse to call an 'empress' after that stunt,  and 1 from an elder who does not know she exits.    Just to see how he would handle things...

No comment.

I am back to sleep. Early morning work.

I know I probably shouldnt, but am I the only one who is starting to view Karl's clan (and all members of it) as the "bad guys". I kinda hate them after the events of the last story.

Not NEARLY as much as they hate themselves.

Edited by Kalenath

I know I probably shouldnt, but am I the only one who is starting to view Karl's clan (and all members of it) as the "bad guys". I kinda hate them after the events of the last story.

They just followed Orders. I cant blame them. they didnt know half of it and Redi... that lying manipulating Son of a duck! he fooled them all. even himself in the end.

Edited by Marabunta5

They just followed Orders. I cant blame them. they didnt know half of it and Redi... that lying manipulating Son of a duck! he fooled them all. even himself in the end.

That's the thing with psychopaths. They delude themselves, and they become so adept at deluding others they can just blend into society.

And i do blame them.  Being ordered to do something, and HOW you do it, are separate things. 

He could have been ordered to help Redi, but he also could have done it under the condition that Alicia was with him at all time, you know, as a "bodyguard".  With a program to send out an alert to karl and friends if she lost consciousness. 

Really ANYTHING would have been better than what he did.

That's the thing with psychopaths. They delude themselves, and they become so adept at deluding others they can just blend into society.

And i do blame them.  Being ordered to do something, and HOW you do it, are separate things. 

He could have been ordered to help Redi, but he also could have done it under the condition that Alicia was with him at all time, you know, as a "bodyguard".  With a program to send out an alert to karl and friends if she lost consciousness. 

Really ANYTHING would have been better than what he did.

You think Karl is not telling himself that? Every second of the day now? He isn't perfect. He KNEW there was something wrong, he figured to stop Dust, then get answers. But stopping Dust... didn't work that well. Especially when Jasmina went berserk after Dust tricked Karl and got into the control center.

YOU try stopping an Ember with a Ether Sword who wants your tripes for dinner WITHOUT killing her. It took 4 of them and all were hurt in the process. Karl was... busy when Dust killed Redi and then sacrificed himself. He got Dust killed and it DOES weigh on him.

Then the whole thing about the Glaive. Crisies of faith are NOT fun.

Edited by Kalenath

You think Karl is not telling himself that? Every second of the day now? He isn't perfect. He KNEW there was something wrong, he figured to stop Dust, then get answers. But stopping Dust... didn't work that well. Especially when Jasmina went berserk after Dust tricked Karl and got into the control center.

YOU try stopping an Ember with a Ether Sword who wants your tripes for dinner WITHOUT killing her. It took 4 of them and all were hurt in the process. Karl was... busy when Dust killed Redi and then sacrificed himself. He got Dust killed and it DOES weigh on him.

Then the whole thing about the Glaive. Crisies of faith are NOT fun.

One can understand that aye.   man imagine the tension and atmospehere in the Dojo there. must be very very uncomfortable.

Don't worry kale i don't hate Karl.  I'm just pissed at him. like everyone else.   I've been at work for 18 hours and my only outside contact is this thread through my phone,  I'm tired and barely thinking straight.  And Karl is the main focus of it right now! :D

"Well, for the crazies among us... a very special treat... "

So.  I kind of, just read this.  I know spitting coffee is an overused metaphor an such... but it's not an exaggeration.   I really just shot coffee out of my NOSE.  Thanks kale.  That was a new experience.  

Sorrow

Iriana woke slowly. It was the drugs, she knew. She dreaded the moment that the numbness that she could feel in large parts of her body wore off. She knew it wouldn’t be fun. While she had studied pain control in her long ago basic training, it hadn’t ever been something she personally had to worry about. Even at the worst parts of her life, she had been able to access Tenno medical gear and personnel. Now?

She focused on what she could feel. Her left side was cold. Her right arm was numb, most of the rest of the side cold. If she was hurt as badly as she suspected, she was in an ICU of sorts, and that precluded most forms of warming. She wiggled her left hand fingers and then the toes of… She screamed as pain seared through her left leg. But… the sound was muffled by something.

“Easy!” Pat’s voice came from nearby. “Easy…” She said quickly as a hand took hold of Iriana’s. The Tenno healer opened her eye and tears were streaming as the woman from before held tight to her unhurt hand. “This will help.” Something stung Iriana’s unhurt arm and then she was floating.

“How much did you give her?” Someone asked sharply.

“Enough.” Pat said, not taking her eyes from Iriana’s single working one. “Ma’am? Still with us?” Iriana tried to nod, but her head didn’t move. “Blink once if you can.” Iriana struggled with her muscles, but managed to get her eyelid to close and then open. Her eye felt raw, but it did go dark and then she saw Pat relax. The hand holding hers gave another squeeze. “Easy.” The same hand stroked hers. “It’s okay.”

Iriana opened her mouth and tried to speak, but only a croak came out. Pat shook her head and a small round thing found her lips. “Drink slow.” Pat ordered.

Iriana did as instructed, the cool water tasting heavenly. After a few sips, she felt capable of speech, but her brain was as numb as her extremities.

“How… bad…?” Iriana asked after thinking the words through for a moment.

“Never you mind that.” Pat said calmly. “Your only priority now is to heal. We will not lose you.”

“What did you give me and what dose?” Iriana said, her mental agility increasing as she thought. Pat looked at her. “I… know my allergies. Injuries are…consistent with a fall, but… what drugs?”

“You are a doc?” Pat asked, stunned.

“Was.” Iriana said sadly. “Betrayed. Ran… jumped…” She slumped a bit. “Didn’t expect to…” Pat gave her hand a squeeze again.

“I understand.” Pat said with sincere compassion. “But if you are really a doc… We gave you a basic painkilling dose of morphine.” Iriana’s eye widened. “You know what that means?” Pat asked curiously.

“Opiate?” Iriana asked softly. “I… Powerful, but… narcotic.” She slumped a bit more. “Addicted or screaming?” She said with a sigh. “Some… choice.”

“We will be careful.” Pat said with a nod. “But you know your drugs.”

“Describe injuries and treatment?” Iriana begged her. “Please?” Pat looked at her and then nodded.

“Left leg, broken femur and tibia. Immobilized in traction splint.” Pat said, her tone clinical. “Internal bleeding has been reduced. Possible soft organ damage. Crushing trauma of the third and fourth cervical vertebrae. Twisting of the fifth lumbar vertebrae. Spine immobilized. Right arm crushed, immobilized.” Iriana winced, but did not speak. “Skull fracture with damage to left eye. Fracture set, eye… unknown.” She said quietly. “Fluids administered via IV. Four liters of saline introduced. Currently on the fifth.”

“And I am alive?” Iriana asked, stunned. “How? I shouldn’t be.”

“Artus is good.” Pat said with a smile. “He would not let you go.”

“Tenno?” Iriana asked, trying to hide her fear.

“He is okay.” Pat said gently. “He is the only reason any of us survived our town being taken by the Grineer.”

“Story there.” Iriana said slowly, feeling a wave of weakness sweeping through her. She managed to fend it off with effort. “Max dose of morphine for pain, 15 milligrams per...” She gasped and relaxed against her will.

“15 milligrams in a 4 hour period via continuous IV.” Pat said with a smile. “I have used it before. I… was the town medic.” Iriana looked at her and Pat grimaced. “Not much good against Grineer, but good at patching up hurt miners. Pulling people out of mines or off cliff sides.”

“I…” Iriana swallowed hard. “I bring danger with me.”

“So Artus said before he left.” Pat said with a sigh. “But he wouldn’t give your name or what the danger was. He said you were not a danger to us.” Iriana chuckled and winced. “Easy.” Pat cautioned her.

“What would I do?” Iriana asked with a sigh. “Bleed on you?” She fought off another wave of tiredness. “Don’t waste your supplies.” Iriana said sadly. “I think I am…” She paused as Pat laid a finger on her lips.

“Artus told me to keep you alive.” Pat said with a shake of her head. “I haven’t disappointed that big crazy Tenno yet. I am not about to start. We all owe him.”

“If you need someone who does know medications…” Iriana said slowly. “I can do that. If I am not too fuddled by painkillers.” Pat looked at her and Iriana made a soft noise. “I… studied ancient remedies. Herbs, plants… Interactions between drugs and herbal remedies.”

“You are a frickin’ godsend!” Pat said with a wide smile that faded. “We have two dozen people with injuries ranging from blast trauma to gun shot wounds. We have access to several small gardens that are growing medicinal herbs. And we have a small, barely functioning replicator. Right now, it is making bandages.” She paused as Iriana grimaced. “Pain?”

“Yeah.” Iriana started her inner mantra for pain. It didn’t help much. “No!” She said as sharply as she could when Pat reached for a tray nearby. “I… I can handle it. For now.”

“Look, pain will slow your recovery!” Pat protested as she readied a syringe.

“No more morphine! I am going to be paralyzed if my spine swells.” Iriana said with a wince. “Then the pain of my leg at least will fade. Don’t waste your drugs.”

“You are crazy!” Pat said with a scowl. Then she sighed. “Artus went to get more medical supplies. I don’t know from where. I didn’t ask.”

“You can’t help me, Pat.” Iriana said sadly. “No one can. All you will do is waste your resources. Resources you will need.”

“You don’t know that.” Pat said with a snarl. “Artus has done miracles already. Please, don’t give up.” She pleaded. “I… I don’t want to lose any more patients.”

“I know the feeling.” Iriana said sadly. “I…disagree with you. But I am not… the charge medic.”

“No, you are not.” Pat said with a smile as she injected Iriana. The Tenno healer was smiling sadly as she slowly slipped away. “Sleep now. May I know your name?”

“My co-workers call me Iri.” Iriana said as she slid into odd dreams.

What the hell?

The Tenno known as Janas had not been expecting this. He was part of the latest batch of Royal Guard who had been cycled through Karl clan of Tenno to gain experience in life and war outside of Avalon. Like most of the Royal Guard, he had been born in Avalon and raised in a Tenno family. Raised to serve, to follow, to believe in Orokin. That belief had been shaken by recent events. But, he was Tenno. A warrior born and bred. Trained to kill in any number of ways. Trained to use the Ash warframe he wore. Trained to fight. This… creeping around in the shrubbery felt wrong.

His preferred Ash Prime warframe was waiting for him back on Avalon, his preferred Prime weapons as well since they were rare to the point of unavailable outside of Avalon and a dead giveaway that something was off. But he was adaptable. Hence why Karl had selected him for this special assignment. No one wanted to hurt Iriana. The healer was special to many, many people. Janas had met Sara and Mishka, Iriana’s daughters and Serene, Iriana’s sister on Avalon and liked them all. He had volunteered when told that his mission would involve reuniting Iriana with her kin. But it had all gone wrong. Instead of simple trank and snatch mission, Iriana had sensed or seen something and taken off running. Then she had thrown herself off a cliff rather than surrender. That… didn’t fit with the healer he had heard so much of. Somehow, she had heard something about what the traitor Jasmina had done. Had she been contaminated too? He didn’t know. Or really care. He still had a mission. He would accomplish it.

Somehow.

The area beneath where the healer had thrown herself off the cliff was heavily overgrown. He had quartered it and done a standard search pattern. He had found nothing. But now, he heard Grineer. But not just Grineer. Someone was attacking them! He moved from cover to cover, a fluid section of shadow and paused as he saw the other Tenno. The Volt warframe was not anyone he had met and he did not have an ID on it. But… training ran deep and when a squad of Grineer moved past his concealment to flank the Volt, Janas attacked. He was in the midst of the group of degenerate clones before they even knew he was there, his Ether sword cutting through heavy armor, bone and meat with equal abandon. In moments, he was back to back with the Volt, his bolto pistol slamming into the enemies that showed themselves as the Volt’s precise shots with a Vulkar sniper rifle took their toll as well. The fire that the Grineer tossed their way was deflected with ease by the Volt’s electric shield, which he kept up even as Grineer tried to charge and flank the two Tenno. Even Grineer could not keep this up forever. Janas felt it when their attack spent itself against their staunch defense. He knew what to do.

His Bladestorm thinned the remaining Grineer and the few survivors tried to flee, but found their ponderous armor a lethal hindrance when facing two highly maneuverable Tenno. Less than five minutes after Janas joined the battle, the last Grineer fell and silence reigned in the forest again. He turned to the Volt and froze on seeing the Vulkar rifle pointed at him!

“Brother?” Janas asked slowly.

“My fight.” The Volt said softly and Janas went totally stiff as he heard the undercurrent deep in it. Rage. Volt warframes had a bad habit of making the wearers go berserk. “This was my fight.”

“Your fight.” Janas agreed softly, then hit his smoke screen and vanished from sight and sensor, darting away in case the Volt shot anyway. The strange dark colored warframe did not. Instead, he… picked up an odd looking sack and started off at enhanced speeds. Even as curious as Janas was, he had a mission. Lots of ground to cover. Then... He would search the cliff. He wasn’t looking forward to that.

What word? The voice of the Lotus came and Janas paused, checking his surroundings with care, then responding.

No sign on the ground of impact, milady. No body. Janas said formally. I will search the cliff. But… Her chances… If she hit the cliff…

I know. The Lotus responded sadly. The tracer she has within her is either shielded somehow, or disabled. You will need to get very close to detect it if you even can. Did you fight? I read expended ammunition.

A brother was battling a host of Grineer. Janas said calmly. I assisted him, but he… He paused. How did he say it?

But what? The Lotus prompted. Did he survive? I felt no death of kin.

He drew his weapon on me and told me to stay out of his fight. Janas said, confused. I was not aware of any Tenno in this area. It was a Volt.

Ah, that would be Artus. Lotus responded, her tone heavy. He feels responsible for the civilians in that area. He is a bit… touchy. She said in a tone of profound understatement. Not rogue. Just… touchy.

He is a Volt. Janas said with a trace of sadness. They define touchy. I will stay out of his way and keep searching.

“Artus?” Pat’s voice greeted the Volt as he entered the medical section of the cave that so many called home now.

“How is she, medic?” The Tenno asked, his tone the same stilted formality that he always used when speaking with humans. Others might call it patronizing. Pat heard shame in it.

“Holding on.” Pat said with a wince. “I gave her two doses. Artus…” She slumped a bit. “She wants to die. I am trying to convince her to stay. I don’t know if I can succeed.”

“If anyone can, Medic Pat, you can.” Artus said with a small bow. “I got everything on the list.”

“Everything?” Pat asked, dumbfounded. “The dialysis gear too?”

“Everything was still where you said it would be, Medic. I found some other stuff too.” The Volt said, swinging his sack from his shoulder. “The Grineer are massing. I am not sure for what. There are… other Tenno in the area. I am not sure why.”

“All this time, they never did anything for us and now they are everywhere? What gives?” Pat asked, her tone caustic, then she was immediately apologetic. “I am sorry.”

“We have failed you all, Medic Pat.” Artus said sadly. Then he looked into the room where their latest patient lay, her battered face contorted with pain that even drugs and sleep could not ease. “Almost as bad as we failed… others.” He said in an undertone.

“You didn’t throw her off that cliff, Artus.” Pat said, examining a portable scanner with rechargeable batteries. “She said she was betrayed.”

“We all were.” Artus voice was even lower, but Pat caught it. Pat looked at him, but did not press. She knew better. “I will sit with her, if you wish to get a meal or some sleep.”

“When she wakes, we can start the treatment.” Pat said quietly. “I hope we are in time. She is a doc. She knows drugs.”

“I know.” Artus grunted.

“You know her.” It wasn’t really a surprise.

“I met her once.” Artus said with a shrug. “Bad situation, but she was… good at what she did.”

“Well, if we can persuade her liver to stop failing, we can definitely use her.” Pat said with a nod. “I’ll be back to set up the regenerator. One of us will have to monitor her. Jal has been by, growling.”

“If he touches her, I will hurt him.” Artus said calmly.

“Artus, his kid is dying.” Pat said with a shake of her head. “There is nothing I can do. I didn’t want to choose.”

“Now you don’t have to.” Artus agreed as he knelt by the bed. “Let him use the drugs on Melina. We can use the regenerator on…” He paused and Pat smiled a bit forlornly.

“She said her name was Iri.” Pat said quietly. “Is it?”

“That will do.” Artus agreed, then focused on the sleeping woman.

“You okay?” Pat asked, concerned. She examined what she could see of his warframe, but he did not react or respond. “Fine.” She said sadly. “Stubborn Tenno. Be that way.” Pat was shaking her head as she left.

Artus did not move, did nothing as the hurt woman on the bed moaned a bit.

“She is going to die.” A voice came from the outside and a haggard looking human stepped into the room. “Why prolong her suffering?”

“Everything dies.” Artus replied easily. “Why prolong Melina’s?” The man’s daughter had taken a Grineer heavy caliber round to the head during the flight from their home and would never wake. She spent her remaining time moaning unless drugged.

“She is my daughter!” Jal said sharply. “Do Tenno understand love?”

“I don’t know.” Artus replied, still calm. “Do humans?” The withering irony in his tone had the man flushing. “Here.” He handed the man a set of syringes. “Tend your kin.”

“What is that woman to you?” Jal asked, grabbing the syringes and cradling them to his chest like a miser’s gold.

“An innocent.” Artus said softly. “Unlike most I have ever met, she has done no wrong. If you touch her, I will hurt you.”

“She is not one of us!” Jal said with a scowl, but he did take a step towards the door.

“Neither am I.” Artus said and remained where he was as Jal ran from the room. “Idiot.” He said with a sigh. A moan had him turning.

“A…rtus…?” Iriana’s eye was open, but fuzzed with pain and narcotics. “Wha…?”

“It’s all right, Healer.” Artus said quietly. “Shh. Go back to sleep.” He held a hand over her and a small fall of green mist had her sigh and slump. “We all pay our dues in different ways, Healer. You are my penance.”

He would not fail her as he had failed so many others. He hoped so anyway. The fragments of memory that he had were… unpleasant. He would pay his debts to humanity, starting with this small fragment of it. Plus one sorely hurt noncombatant Tenno. He didn’t know what had possessed Healer Iriana to jump from that cliff, but didn’t really care. She was his problem now. Anyone who tried to hurt her, Tenno, human, Grineer, Infested, Corpus, whatever… would face his wrath.