Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfiction] Healing

Kalenath

"Well, for the crazies among us... a very special treat... "

So.  I kind of, just read this.  I know spitting coffee is an overused metaphor an such... but it's not an exaggeration.   I really just shot coffee out of my NOSE.  Thanks kale.  That was a new experience.  

Always glad to help. :)

I DID warn them to be ready for horror. That qualified.

Edited by Kalenath

Nastiness

Iriana woke to an unfamiliar feeling. She had never felt the feeling, but she knew what it was. A bone deep craving. They had given her too much morphine. And…

“Help.” She said in a tiny voice as her stomach started to flip.

“Iri?” Pat asked, worried. “What is wrong?”

“I’m about to vomit.” Iriana said in a miserable voice.

“Oh crap! Don’t move!” Pat’s hands were strong as they held her head in place. “Let it come. I have suction available.”

“I… No…” Iriana managed to croak and then nature had it’s way. She was crying out of her one good eye as something entered her mouth and a hissing pulled the acidic muck out as soon as it came up. After a time that felt like an eternity, her belly was empty.

“There.” Pat said gently. “Done?” Iriana felt her stomach turn once more and then it was still.

“I think so.” Humiliation sang in Iriana’s words as she lay back. “I… I feel…”

“I know.” Pat said sadly. “I gave you too much. I am sorry.” Iriana looked at her and paled as Pat readied a syringe.

“No!” Iriana begged. “I… No, I can’t… I’ll become addicted. More addicted.” She hated the whining, pleading note that entered her voice. She wanted the drug. “Don’t…” She begged.

“Iri, you are.” Pat said sadly. “This is a lesser dose. We will… wean you off.” She said as she prepared Iriana’s arm. Iriana tried to jerk away, but Pat held it tight. “Don’t fight me.” The medic warned.

“I… No.” Iriana begged as Pat injected her. The fuzzy feeling swept over her as her pain faded. “Why?” She pleaded. “I don’t want to be an addict.” She moaned.

“Iri…” Pat said gently. “We need to turn you to get at your back.” Iriana stared at her. “It’s gonna hurt like a son of a gun.”

“Why?” Iriana asked, her tone fuzzy, but her eye clear.

“We need to get at your liver.” Pat said simply. “We have a regenerator. We need to get your liver fully functional again.”

“My… My liver?” Iriana asked, stunned. “Oh no…” The liver, for Tenno the same as humans, was the primary detoxification center of the body. When it failed, the body quickly filled with toxins.

“You apparently slammed into the rocks several times on the way down, Iri.” Pat said gently. “I pulled a spur of stone out of your back. It hit your liver.”

“Kidneys?” Iriana asked, stunned. The kidneys worked to filter the blood. Without them, the same thing happened as if the liver failed. Btu there were two of them.

“I don’t know.” Pat said with a sigh. “But definitely liver. We got a regenerator. It is charged.”

“But you need access.” Iriana said, swallowing hard. “How long to regen?”

“I don’t know.” Pat admitted. “I was just the emergency medic. The doc… didn’t make it.”

“Show me what you have.” Iriana said, forcing her emotions to the back. Pat held up a large, oblong device and Iriana scrutinized it. She took a deep breath. “It looks similar to portable models that I have used. If it is, it should take between five and ten minutes of direct stimulation to regenerate subsurface tissue. Does it have a built in scanner?”

“I don’t know.” Pat said, stunned by this change in her patient.

“Show me the back of the device.” Iriana commanded and Pat did as instructed. Iriana stared at it and then smiled. “It does. No direct neural feeds for this model. Which is good. You wouldn’t be able to access it.”

“Neural… feeds?” Pat asked, staring from the machine to Iriana.

“Later.” Iriana promised. “If I survive this. Like you say, this is gonna hurt like hell, but if my liver regains function, it should help with detoxing the morphine.” She took a deep breath. “This design has four buttons, see?” She waved her free hand at the machine and Pat nodded. “Off, Low, High and Ultra. If it is… anything like the ones I have used…” She started to gasp for breath but continued. “Then Ultra drains power like crazy. Power readout…”

“I know that. On the side here.” Pat said quietly. “Anything else?”

“Don’t hold it in your bare hands.” Iriana said with a small laugh. “Energy leakage can be… a pain. When I was in… medical school, I did. The tips of my fingers swelled up four times normal size as the skin grew out of control. My instructor was… not happy with me.” Pat chuckled at that and then sobered. She scrutinized the machine.

“What is this ‘wide’ and ‘narrow’?” Pat asked. “Width of energy field?”

“Probably.” Iriana said with a grunt as pain eclipsed the drugs. “Does it say anything about depth of penetration?”

“No.” Pat said with a gulp. “Is that bad?”

“I don’t know.” Iriana said with a sigh. “Pain is coming back, Pat. If you are gonna do this, do it.”

“I’ll get Artus.” Pat said quietly. Iriana made a soft noise of fear, but Pat shook her head. “He won’t do anything to you.” Indeed, she went to the door and beckoned. In moments, the dark warframe was in the room. Iriana shrank way from the Volt, but he paid her no mind.

“Now?” He asked quietly.

“Let me get some gloves on.” Pat said and slid heavy gloves over her hands before picking the machine up gingerly and carrying it to the bed. Iriana was breathing hard in both anticipation and fear. “Easy, Iri. Won’t be long.”

“Would be better if I pass out.” Iriana said stoically. “Less thrashing.” She looked at Artus who nodded.

“I can put you out, Ma’am.” Artus said quietly. Pat looked at him, but did not comment, turning back to the machine.

“You… may need my knowledge.” Iriana said with a gulp. “If I scream or insult you… don’t take it personally.” She chuckled without humor and Pat matched it.

“I will use setting Three.” Pat said, holding the regenerator steadily in her hands. She nodded to Artus who slid his hands slowly under Iriana and lifted her easily. Several tubes came with her, but she ignored them. The pain immediately soared and Iriana started her mantra. Artus turned her slowly to present her back to Pat without moving her spine and Pat started the machine. The power soothed Iriana’s pain.

“Oh…” Iriana said with a sigh. “It has a built in anesthesia function. That is… marvelous.”

“Should I use it on your other injuries?” Pat asked, her eyes on the scanner. “It seems to be working fast.”

“Can you tell how bad the damage is?” Iriana asked.

“Not really.” Pat said, stunned. “It seems to be mostly gone. I am going to try ‘Wide’ field.” Iriana gasped as the pain came back. “Oops, that must deactivate the anesthesia.”

“Keep going.” Iriana pleaded. “I can… handle it.”

“Got it.” Pat said with a smile as she deactivated the machine. “Need to recharge this thing. Lay her back down, Artus.” The Volt reoriented Iriana and slowly laid her back down. She frowned as Iriana gave a whimper. “How bad?”

“Hurts.” Iriana said with a gasp. “But no drugs! I…” She shook herself. “I need it, but I don’t want it!”

“Don’t be stubborn, Ma’am.” Artus said with a chiding snort. “Pain will slow your recovery and the people here need a doc.”

“There is less pain.” Iriana said softly. “Where did you sweep with that?”

“All across your back.” Pat said with a frown as she pulled a scanner from a pocket. She ran it over Iriana and her face lit up. “Wow. That is…” She showed the readout to Iriana who smiled as she saw a host of newly reformed flesh. Her liver, her kidneys, her gall bladder and spine all showed signs of recent regeneration. In time, those signs would pass and no one who hadn’t seen her injuries would know she had been hurt.

“Arm, leg and head left. Wow indeed. That is a… top of the line model.” Iriana said with a smile. She looked at Artus and stiffened. He had gone still. What had she said?

“Artus?” Pat asked, looking at the regeneration machine. “This isn’t the one the doc had. It looks the same, but his couldn’t repair that much damage that fast. Where did you get this?” Instead of answering, the Volt turned and left the room. “Wha-?” She asked, surprised.

“Tenno love their secrets.” Iriana said quietly. “Don’t press. You have it and can use it to help others. You said others are hurt?”

“Yes.” Pat said, shaking her head. “You are –were-…“ She qualified with a smile. “… the worst, but others. Yes, this will help.”

“Go on.” Iriana said with a smile. “Recharge it. Help your people. I hope I can help you too.”

“You have.” Pat said as she bent down to kiss Iriana on the cheek. “Thanks. You showing me how to use this will save lives. Thank you Iri. I have rounds to make and now… I have good news to give out.”

“I can’t do much physically.” Iriana said, waving her free hand. “But if you need any of my knowledge, you have but to ask.”

“You hungry?” Pat asked, still staring at the machine n her hands with a rapt expression.

“No.” Iriana said with a wince. Then her stomach growled. “Ah… I dunno…” She grimaced, remembering her bout of nasty.

“We have soup and broth.” Pat said with a smile as she stepped back. Artus entered, a tray with bowls in his hand and Pat smiled. “See?”

“At least now I won’t leak.” Iriana said with a smile. “Go on, get to healing!” She commanded and Pat left with a chuckle. Iriana waited until she was gone before speaking to Artus. “Are we alone?”

“Yes.” The Volt said calmly as he pulled a rolling table out of a wall cubby and laid the tray on it. He moved to the bed and it eased Iriana up into a sitting position. Her spine had been healed, so there was no danger, just a lingering ache that would fade.

“Are you going to turn me over to the people hunting me?” Iriana asked, proud that her voice did not quaver.

“No.” Artus replied, moving the tray close to her. “Can you handle a spoon?”

“One way to find out.” Iriana said stoically. Artus handed her a spoon that she took carefully in her left hand. Then he uncovered the bowls and moved the table close enough for her to reach. She took a bite and moaned in pleasure as she savored the taste. “Good stuff. What now?”

“These people need help.” Artus said quietly. “Will you help them?”

“If I can.” Iriana said quietly. “Healing is my calling. But…” She looked down at the casts on her leg and arm. “What are your intentions?”

“I am here to help these people.” Artus replied easily. “No more, no less.”

“If the ones hunting me find me here, give me to them.” Iriana said soberly as she filled anther spoonful. “I won’t be the cause of strife between Tenno.”

“How do you think Serene is going to react to you vanishing, Healer?” Artus asked and Iriana froze. “Yeah.”

“Crap.” Iriana said with feeling. She shook herself. “I will stay to help as long as I can. I do not want to endanger these people though. If it comes to it, Artus. You will surrender me.” Steel rang in her words.

“We will see.” Artus said, neither agreeing nor disagreeing.

“Where did you get that scanner?” Iriana asked after another mouthful. “Will it come back to bite these people?”

“No.” Artus said quietly. “The Corpus won’t miss it. Or, more accurately, they won’t miss the medical supplies I borrowed from the ship that blew up.” Iriana froze and then nodded slowly.

“Couldn’t happen to a nicer group of fanatics.” Iriana said with a smile. “I trust you swept it?” Artus just looked at her and she sighed. “You know insidious the nutballs can be.”

“I do.” Artus agreed. “I think I got them all, but we are deep in Grineer territory and these caves block most signals.”

“Then… partners?” Iriana asked. “To help these people?” She laid the spoon down and held out a hand.

“Partners.” Artus said, taking her hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

“She… what?” Karl would rather have been doing anything else. Anything at all. Sara’s voice was calm, but… Her face was… a mask. As if the pain behind her eyes was too terrible for her to show anyone.

Karl had come in person to Avalon. Some news simply had to be delivered in person. Michelle had come in with him. As soon as she had heard the news, she had flatly refused to leave his side. She knelt down in front of Sara and held out her arms. The princess’ eyes were glistening.

“She jumped off a cliff. She thought we betrayed her.” Karl said quietly. Both Serene and Mishka had frozen in place. “We couldn’t tell her that we were going to bring her here. I... I couldn’t tell her, Sara.”

“She… No…” Sara shook her head. “No…” She shook her head savagely. “She is not dead! She can’t be!” Michelle made a soft, sad sound and eased up to her, pulling Sara in her arms, where the girl suddenly gave a cry and hugged the princess tight, tears falling like rain. “She… she can’t be…”

“We don’t know if she is dead or not, Sara.” Karl said softly. “We haven’t found her. When we do, I will come and tell you. Either way, I will tell you. We will not stop looking until we find her.”

“What are we going to do now?” Sara demanded, burying her face in Michelle’s shoulder. The princess held her gently.

“Your family is welcome to stay here.” Michelle said quietly. “For as long as you want to stay.” Serene nodded soberly. But then again, she had a small blanket wrapped form in her lap. Mishka looked… lost. “Mishka?”

“She wouldn’t do that.” Mishka said slowly. “She wouldn’t. Why?” She demanded from Karl who sighed.

“We erred, Mishka.” Karl said softly. “You… have heard what happened last month.” It wasn’t a question.

“I saw it on the monitor.” Mishka said, confused. “Sara, Serene and I watched. That… That Ember went nuts.”

“No.” Karl said softly. “She had cause to be angry. She overreacted. At least…” He said with a sigh. “I think she did. Do you know why she did what she did?”

“She lost her husband.” Serene said and Mishka nodded. “She was grieving.”

“We… heard of a means to stop the infested once and for all. We jumped at it.” Karl said quietly. “The method involved a hurt young woman, one a bit older than you Mishka. Iriana bonded with that young woman. She was hurt and Iriana has always had an affinity for hurt beings.” Mishka, Sara and Serene all nodded. “We lied to your mother to get her away from the girl. So the girl could be used against the Infested.” Mishka went still. Sara as well. “We were ordered to, but…” He bowed his head. “A Tenno known as Dust and Jasmina, his mate, went and stopped the machine that we had been told would kill the Infested. We hadn’t been told it would destroy all traces of the virus. Including the traces in Tenno DNA.” Sara gasped but remained silent. “Dust died stopping the machine. When… Jasmina found out what we had done… She was… very angry.”

“Hard to blame her.” Serene said softly. “She always was a cliché hot head, but… If she did love that man… Aw crap…” The female Tenno swallowed hard.

“We were going to try and help her.” Karl said slowly. “The Infested did something to her. She…” Michelle snarled and he stopped as Michelle gave Sara a hug.

“Mother blundered.” Michelle said flatly. “She would be the first to say so.” Sara and Mishka both gasped at the princess’ words, but Karl and Serene nodded. “She erred badly in assuming that Jasmina would surrender. I barely knew Jasmina and I knew better than that. Jasmina has cut ties with us. She took other vows.”

“Is she a renegade?” Sara asked, scared. She had had some… bad experiences with renegade Tenno.

“No.” Karl said sadly. “Some may call her that, but she is still Tenno. Just… not of us. She won’t initiate hostilities.”

“What…? What do we do?” Mishka asked plaintively. “What can we do?”

“I need you to stay and help Serene.” Karl said quietly. “Ric is functional again. He and Cecelia will be returning with me. I need them at the dojo. Jac… She stays here.” Jac hadn’t delivered her child yet, and there had been a few complications, but nothing Orokin medical tech couldn’t handle.

“How are the others handling this?” Serene asked softly. “I had a moment of doubt myself when I saw the Glaive fly. Just like the First…” She shook her head.

“About as well as can be expected.” Karl said with another sigh. “It’s not every day we see such a legend come to life. And angry with us.”

“Karl.” Serene said soberly. “What are you going to do?”

“Find Iriana and find Jasmina.” Karl said with a shrug. “Try to fix this. If I can.”

“Anything I can do to help, you have but to ask.” Serene said softly, rocking the bundle in her arms. “I know Jac feels the same way. I knew Jasmina well. If I can talk to her... Maybe she will listen.”

“Take care of your family, Serene.” Karl said softly. “Jac… I hope Aeron talks to her. I brought him but…” He shrugged. “He hasn’t been talking much.”

“Have you?” Serene asked slowly.

“No.” Karl said simply. “The person I need to talk to… I can’t find.”

“Please find my mom.” Mishka said in a scared, soft voice. Michelle held out her arms and Mishka swarmed into them, crying. Michelle hugged both girls tight. “Please.”

“I will do my best.” Karl said with a bow to the two girls. He nodded to Serene and Michelle, then left the room.

Too much feels today. I need to do something about that. Okay...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Needs and wishes

Iriana woke to a need. She ignored it. The pain was less. But the craving was greater. She recalled what she knew of addiction. Usually defined as a strong and harmful need to regularly have something, she knew it was a psychological response to physical changes. She focused her mind as she had been taught and the need faded somewhat. It did not go away completely, but she hadn’t expected it to. Opiates were incredibly powerful drugs. They had been grown in any number of places during Orokin because of their incredible uses in medicine and science. So it wasn’t unheard of for fragmentary colonies to have fields of poppy flowers.

Iriana had never been one for drugs. She had always been able to retard pain receptors with careful pulses of energy. Stimulate parts of the body with energy to provide what was needed. The technology that she had taken for granted had far fewer side effects. But these people didn’t have much of that technology. She didn’t blame Pat for giving her the morphine. The medic had been trying to help. But it was going to cause problems. She remembered what she had read of withdrawal sickness and shivered.

“Iri?” Pat’s voice preceded the woman into the room. Iriana stared at her. The medic looked terrible. “You awake?”

“Pat?” Iriana asked, concerned. “What is wrong?” She demanded.

“What?” Pat asked and then flushed a bit. “I… Oh…” She shrugged a bit. “I didn’t get any sleep. I have been recharging and using the regenerator.” Iriana looked at her and Pat flushed deeper. “To be able to actually help… I…”

“Pat.” Iriana said mildly. “If you fall apart, who helps these people?” She started to say something biting and curbed her tongue. She wasn’t fit to complain about Pat’s work. “What is wrong?”

“I don’t know.” Pat admitted as she came into the room and sat heavily in a chair by the bed. “Most of my patients are out of danger. It will take time to heal them all, with only one regenerator. The injuries are extensive and spread over a couple dozen people I can save…” Sadness sounded in her tone, but her face was calm. “But…” She shook her head and slumped, obviously bone weary.

“What is wrong?” Iriana repeated quietly. “Maybe I can help. Give me something to think on. Take my mind off this… craving.”

“Do you need more?” Pat asked carefully.

No!” Iriana snapped, and then quailed as Pat recoiled. “Sorry… Sorry… I just… No…” She pleaded.

“Iri, I did what I could at the time.” Pat said sadly. “You are… not the only person in withdrawal. At least you are nice about it.”

“It was all you had, wasn’t it?” Iriana asked, her tone super soft. Pat nodded, her face in her hands. “Don’t blame yourself. I will… need more. A lesser dose. But… not yet.” She said, ignoring how her fingers were shaking slightly. “What is wrong?”

“One of my patients caught a burst of fire from a Grineer weapon.” Pat said sadly. “I regenerated her injuries, but she is not waking up. The others… The ones who will wake up, have. Not her.”

“Do you have her profile?” Iriana asked after a moment’s thought. Grineer weapons were nasty. It could be any kind of problem. “Was she on morphine?”

“Yes and yes.” Pat said with a sigh as she pulled a datapad out of her pocket and started to scan it. “I was just trying to keep people comfortable. It was all I could do!” She was nearly in tears.

“Pat, I am not blaming you.” Iriana said with a frown. “I have never been stuck in that situation. I don’t second guess people afterwards. I try not to anyway. Let me see.” She held out her free hand to Pat who carefully handed her the datapad. Iriana scanned the readings and paused. “What is this?” She pointed finger at one line that stood out to her.

“I don’t know.” Pat admitted. “This is way above my head, Iri.” Iriana nodded slowly.

“I need to see her.” Pat went still at Iriana’s words. “My arm, leg and head are all that is left, yes?”

“Iri…” Pat warned her.

“Pat, I need to see her, maybe touch her.” Iriana said softly. “I think I know what it is, but if I am wrong, the treatment will kill her. I can’t teach you in a few minutes what drugs interact with what effects from Grineer weapons. I think I can help her, but I need your help to do it. Is Artus here?”

“No.” Pat said with a sigh. “He comes and goes.”

“Missions.” Iriana said under her breath.

“What was that?” Pat asked quickly and Iriana shrugged.

“It is really none of my business.” Iriana said softly. “And if you are wise, you won’t press. I have known Tenno.” She shook herself. “Pat… If I can help, I must. Please?”

“Iri…” Pat said softly. Then she slumped. “We don’t have any wheelchairs or gurneys.”

“You have a couple of strong backs?”

It had to be the strangest form of transportation that Iriana had ever encountered. The seat wasn’t very uncomfortable. Two men who had the ends of the rope that held the seat up around their shoulders. But every time they took steps, Iriana felt twinges up her leg. Twinges that ranged from ‘hey, this is hurting’ to ‘OMG my leg is about to fall off!’ A wheeled contrivance at her feet kept her legs out straight and both had been bound together. At least her broken right arm was bound securely to her chest. The plumbing tubes had been turned off and while it was humiliating, she kept up a conversation with Pat who was doing everything but wring her hands. She had a pack filled with anything and everything that they had that Iriana thought she might need. The two men carried Iriana towards where she could hear the groans and muted whimpers of injured people.

“You say she is 34, and has two children?” Iriana said, looking at the datapad. “The husband?”

“Me.” One of her bearers said quietly. “Name is Karol.”

“Okay, Karol.” Iriana gasped as a particularly rough step jarred her leg, but continued. “Has she ever been sick?”

“No. Sorry for the rough ride, Ma’am.” The man said apologetically. “Never did this before.”

“You are doing fine.” Iriana said, trying not to wince as the wheels under her leg cast bounced a bit. She smiled a bit. “It’s a day for firsts. What is her name?” She asked gently.

“Her name is Jeni.” The man said with a small sound of grief. “Can you… Can you really help her?” Hope sounded in the grief.

“I don’t know.” Iriana admitted. “I will do my best. It may not be enough.” She cautioned. “Grineer weapons are nasty.”

“Don’t need to tell me that.” Karol said with a wince. “All we could do was run.”

“Yeah.” Iriana said softly. “I know the feeling.” She shook her head. “How far?” She said with a gulp as her leg hurt again.

“Next room.” Karol said. Pat ran ahead to get the door and the men turned so that they could slowly and carefully ease Iriana through the doorway. As soon as she turned back, her eyes went to the still form in the bead. Two small children –a boy and a girl, neither over ten years old- were staring at the men and the healer. “Kana, Scin, go to your aunt’s.”

“But dad…” The girl started.

“Let them stay.” Iriana said quickly as the man drew breath to order them to leave. “Jeni needs a reason to stay.” The healer said sadly. “I need to touch her. Pat?” She held out her hand for the scanner. Pat gave it to her and Iriana fiddled with it for a moment, holding it in her right hand while she worked with her left. The men eased her closer to the bed and Iriana ran the scanner’s field over the still woman, then perused the readouts.

“What are you…?” The girl who had spoken started to ask, but was shushed by her brother.

“It looks like she is allergic to one of the maintenance oils that Grineer use on their weapons.” Iriana said after a moment. “I have never seen this reaction, but it is from an allergy and if she has never been sick before, then it has to be from Grineer tech. This…” She paused and stared at the screen. “You got all the bullets out.” She said to Pat who had frozen. “But I think… Yes, there is a fragment. Get it out, suppress the allergy and she should be fine.”

“I scanned.” Pat said weakly.

“Yes, you did.” Iriana said sternly. “Bullet fragments can be very hard to detect. Give me the variable puller and get the regenerator and a regular allergy suppressant ready, class three.” Her tone changing from worried to professional.

She held out a hand and Pat placed an odd length of metal in her hand. Iriana checked it, checked her scanner once and then laid the end of the device on the woman’s chest. A hum sounded and all eyes turned to where a tiny red spot appeared on the woman’s bandaged chest.

“You are hurting her!” The boy exclaimed, his hands in fists.

“No.” Iriana said mildly as she watched the blood. “I am healing her.” Something jerked out of the woman’s chest and the blood spurted a little. “There we go. Bullet fragment is out. Pat. Regen.” She commanded.

Pat stepped close with the regenerator. A play of energy across the woman’s chest made the blood vanish. Iriana nodded and held out a hand. Pat placed a hypo in Iriana’s hand and Iriana checked it out of reflex, then injected the woman.

“How long will it-?” Karol started to ask, but broke off with a gasp as the woman in the bed moaned.

“Karol?” The woman’s voice was weak, but grew in strength. “What happened?”

“Jeni?” Karol laid the rope he held down, easing Iriana to the floor. “Oh Jeni!” He rushed to the bed, his kids close. “You were hurt!”

Pat made a strangled noise, but Iriana waved her off. The other man shook his head, and lifted her up so she could see. She nodded her thanks to him.

“Don’t move too fast, Ma’am.” Iriana said quietly when Jeni struggled to sit up. “You were hurt very badly. And then you were sick from your injuries.”

You are hurt.” Jeni said, her eyes lingering on Iriana’s bandaged head and the casts.

“Healing people is what I do.” Iriana said with a smile. “Rest up, Jeni. Your family needs you.” She slumped a bit in relief and let Pat take the hypo from her. “Back to bed?”

“Yeah.” Pat said quietly. “I’ll get someone else.”

“I can get her back, Pat.” The man holding Iriana up said quietly.

“Jason…” Pat said in exasperation. “You will hurt her.”

“The sooner the better, Pat.” Iriana said, trying not to squirm. “I am going to need the tube reconnected.” Pat grimaced but nodded.

“I got you Ma’am.” The man said, hefting her up carefully and carrying her from the room. Just outside he paused. “Move, Jal.” He commanded. Iriana looked up into yet another haggard human face, this one taut with fear and… Something else.

“She can save Melina!” The man snapped. “She has to save Melina!”

“Jal!” Pat said, her voice angry as she shut the door behind her. “I told you, Melina’s gone! Iri can’t do anything!” She raised her voice. “We need help here!” She called.

“I don’t believe you!” The desperate man said, taking a step forward. But suddenly, there were two more men in the corridor, standing between the two women and the upset Jal.

“The medic told you, Jal.” Jason said in a sad tone. “I am sorry for your loss, but you have to let Melina go.”

“She is all I have left!” Jal nearly screamed. “She has got to try!”

“Where is she?” Iriana’s soft, hurting words cut through the tension in the corridor like a knife. “I don’t know if there is anything I can do. But I will try.”

“Iri.” Pat said in disapproval. “I can hear the pain in your voice. You have a nosebleed.” Iriana wiped her nose and yes, there was blood.

“It’s what I do, Pat.” Iriana said mildly. “If I ignore a cry for help… what am I?”

“Tenno.” The hate filled word from every throat had Iriana pausing. Pat shook her head.

“Iri, you are hurt. Hurt worse.” Pat said with a sigh. “You have to go back to bed.”

“Let me see her.” Iriana pleaded. “Maybe I can’t do anything. Jal. You have to understand. I am a doctor, not a god. There are limits to what I can do. If I can’t help…” She trailed off as Jal made a soft moaning sound.

“I know.” Jal said softly. “I… I won’t blame you.”

I will.” Iriana said into the silence that fell. “I blame myself for every patient I lose.” She looked at Pat who looked indecisive. “Please?”

“Don’t move.” Pat said, pulling out a scanner. She ran the device up and down, scanning Iriana’s head, arm and leg. She didn’t like what she found, but then she nodded slowly. “You are going to be stubborn. Every doc I have known was.”

“It’s one of the classes you have to pass with perfect marks at doctor school.” Iriana said with a slightly strained grin. “But yes. I am going to insist.”

“I don’t like this.” Pat said sharply. She waved the men who had come at her call for help away with a murmur of thanks. They both nodded and left. “But you are the doc.”

“There may be something else I can do.” Iriana said softly. “In my stuff… there was a small silver box.” Pat looked at her. “It’s gene locked, you won’t be able to open it.”

“What is it?” Pat asked, curious. “Like you say, we couldn’t open it. Obviously wasn’t a weapon.”

“Weapon come in all manner of shapes. But as for what it is? My past.” Iriana replied softly. “Jal, I give you my word, I will do what I can. But… I may not be able to do anything. If she is hurt as badly as Pat has said… Then there may be nothing anyone could do.”

“Please try.” Jal begged.

“I will.” Iriana said softly. “Jason? Take me to Melina. Pat? Give me a scanner and I need that box. I may not be able to use it. But I might.” Pat leveled a withering glare on Jal, handed Iriana the scanner and then turned on her heel and left. Jason started off carefully with Jal matching pace. “What happened?”

“We were running.” Jal said quietly, the grief in his voice clear. “None of the others… got out.” Iriana bowed her head and Jal continued after a moment. “We were clear, running away. Then she stumbled… Fell… I picked her up and… her head was a mess. It wasn’t just blood.” He said in a sick voice. “Please, she is all I have left.”

Jal led them to another door. In the room beyond a still form lay on the bed. The girl –Iriana’s heart froze- the girl looked a bit like her daughter Mishka. About the same age. A chair stood by the bed.

“Get me close, Jason.” Iriana commanded. He complied and Iriana winced at the smell. Jal paced at the side, looking very worried. She saw the marks of needles on the girl’s arm, but that wasn’t her main concern. The bandages on the girl’s head were stained and smelled. She took a sniff and nearly choked. As Jal had said… Brain matter. She keyed the scanner, praying. But what she saw made her heart sink. “Chair.” She commanded. Jason sat her down carefully.

“Well?” Jal asked, heart in his voice.

“Pat told you the truth, Jal.” Iriana said sadly. “Your daughter is dead.” Jal let loose a pain filled scream and Iriana nodded. “I am sorry.”

“You need to go back to your bed.” Jason said sadly. “I’ll…”

“Not. Yet.” Iriana said softly. “Jal. Come here.” She beckoned him close with her free hand. “Jason, leave.”

“What?” The man snapped. “No way!”

“Jason, I am about to break a whole lot of rules.” Iriana said with a snap. She turned to see Pat come in, the silver box in hand. It was half the size of the human woman’s palm. “Pat? I need you and Jason to leave the room and keep everyone away. Out of earshot.”

“What?” Pat demanded, clutching the box even when Iriana reached for it. “Why?”

“Because I am about to violate a couple of dozen rules.” Iriana said calmly. “But… If that were my daughter… I would want what I can give Jal. Please.” She begged Pat. “What happens here must remain here. If… If my past catches up to me, no one will be blamed but me. Maybe Jal. But he… has nothing else to lose.” Jal stared at her and then nodded jerkily.

“Iri…” Pat said, not comprehending. “She is dead.”

“Yes she is.” Iriana said calmly. “But she isn’t gone yet.” Pat froze. Jal and Jason both looked blank, but Pat hissed. “You understand what I am about to do?”

“You… are a Healer.” Pat said, her tone reverent and scared.

“I was.” Iriana agreed. “Please.”

Pat shook her head, but in awe, not negation. She handed Iriana the box, waved to Jason and while h shrugged, he did as instructed. Only after they were gone did Iriana turn to Jal.

“What happens in here, remains in here.” Iriana said softly. “My past is…” She swallowed.

“You have a daughter?” Jal asked quietly.

“She is about Melina’s age.” Iriana said sadly. “Looks like her too.”

“Probably a holy terror.” Jal said with a forced laugh. “What do I do? What do I say?”

“You do not say anything.” Iriana said with a sigh. “Not. A. Word.” She tapped the box and it opened. A holograph of the Lotus’ symbol appeared in mid-air over it. Jal went stock still.

“You…?” He said, hope warring with terror. “You are…”

Not a word, Jal.” Iriana said with a snap. “I am not a Warrior. I am a Healer. Charged with protecting life. Nurturing it and in the fullness of time, or in the most grievous extremity, ending it peacefully. That is my charge. That is what I do.”

“What do I do?” Jal asked, calming.

“Lay down beside her.” Iriana said, pulling leads from the box. She attached one set to her own forehead where the bandages did not reach, then did the same for Jeni. She held out the last set for Jal. “Touch the end to your forehead. It will stick.”

“What are you going to do?” Jal asked as he did what she ordered.

“I am going to let you say goodbye.”

Edited by Kalenath

He's published one book, and I think there is another in the works.

It is called Storm: The Way of the Dragon

It's on the kindle store, and I've yet to read it, but I plan to soon.

In other news:

Ya! Second chapter!

Stay strong Kal; never give up!

So...... you named the Dragon Kalenath?

Whatever.

Goodbyes

Iriana was ready when she materialized in the small room that was her normal means of visualizing the interior of her mind. The ceiling was high and vaulted, the walls and floor had Lotus symbols, just as she had been taught. She found what she had expected. A small human girl was sitting in the middle of the room, staring around herself wildly. She wore a filthy jumpsuit and her head was bandaged, just like the girl on the bed.

“Melina?” Iriana asked gently. The girl jumped.

“What?” The girl said, shooting to her feet and backing up. “Who are you?” She demanded. Fear rang through her tone. “I don’t know you!”

“My name is Iriana.” Iriana said gently. “I am a Healer.”

“You…” The girl slowly calmed as she realize Iriana was not going to hurt her. “What happened? I was running and something hit me…”

“You were shot.” Iriana said sadly. “The damage is too much, Melina. It cannot be repaired.”

“What?” Melina asked, confused. “Wait… Where are we?”

“We are inside my mind.” Iriana said gently. “I know this is a shock. But you need to say goodbye to your father.”

“No.” Melina begged. “I can’t. All the others… We watched those filthy brutes gun them down and laugh.”

“Melina.” Iriana said softly. “You were shot in the head. Even the best medical technology cannot replace memories that were destroyed. Cannot remake a person the same when the bits that make up that person are destroyed. You died when you were hit by that bullet. But your body did not and that left you stuck.”

“I heard… dad crying…” Melina said, her eyes far away. “He said bad words and cried a lot. I couldn’t… I couldn’t wake up!”

“He loves you and this will hurt him, Melina.” Iriana said sadly. “But if he is not given the chance to say goodbye, it will hurt him worse. I am a Healer. I want to help you both. I can help him and ease you on your way. That is all I can do.”

“You… hurt…” Melina said her eyes on Iriana, but seeing far deeper than skin. “Why do you hurt?”

“I have been betrayed.” Iriana replied. “But… mainly I live to help others. To take broken bodies and minds and make them whole again. When I can’t... When I fail…” She slumped. “It hurts. Here.” She touched herself over the heart. “I cannot save your life. I can ease you and your father.”

“How?” Melina asked softly. “If I am dead…” She shook her head. “Am I going to Heaven?” She asked, her face scared. “Mom said that if I was a good girl I would go to Heaven. I tried to be good. I really did.”

“I don’t know, Melina.” Iriana said sadly. “None of my kind will go there.” Melina’s eyes went wide.

“That is… sad.” Melina said softly. “You won’t ever see your mother or father again? After?”

“I don’t know.” Iriana said with a sigh. “We don’t have a lot of time, Melina. But I won’t do this without your permission. Can I bring your father here?”

“You could just do it.” Melina said, dubious.

“It wouldn’t be right.” Iriana said as she sat cross legged. She beckoned the girl and Melina came close and then sat on Iriana’s lap. Melina was crying softy as Iriana rubbed her shoulders, gently soothing the girl’s taut muscles. She slowly relaxed.

“I don’t want to go.” Melina said through her tears.

“I don’t want you to either, sweetheart.” Iriana said softly. “I want to make your body work again. I want to see you smile. And I won’t.” She bowed her head over Melina’s and cried as well. “I am sorry.”

“You are hurt.” Melina said, startled, jerking back. “When I touch you… I feel your pain. No!” She begged as Iriana held her. “I am hurting you!” She pleaded. “I don’t mean to be bad.”

“You are not.” Iriana said gently. “You are a little girl whose life has been cut far too short. A girl who deserved the chance to run and play. The chance to grow up, to find love and have kids of your own. Not this. You did not deserve this.” Pain that had nothing to do with physical injuries rang through Iriana’s being. The girl looked so much like Mishka when she tilted her head in confusion.

“You…” Melina stared at Iriana for a moment and then reached around to hug the healer. “Why does it hurt you so much? Seeing me?”

“My own daughter is about your age.” Iriana spoke in a gentle, quiet voice. “She looks a little like you. I don’t know where she is, if she is safe or even alive. I want to help.”

“You have.” Melina said quietly. She retreated a bit and Iriana let her go until the girl was sitting beside her. “I can talk to my dad now.”

“Brave girl.” Iriana said, her voice soft. “Come on in, Jal.”

Jal appeared nearby, his form standing. He jumped as he looked around, but then his eyes lit on Melina and he dashed to where she sat. She jumped up to hug him tight. Iriana remained silent. This was not her time. Not yet.

“Melina.” Jal’s voice was a mix of horror, self-loathing and wonder. “Oh Melina, I am sorry.”

“For what, Dad?” Melina said calmly. “You did everything you could. You gave me something that made the pain stop.” Jal jerked and Melina nodded. “I could hear you. Mom would wash your mouth out with soap for some of what you said.” Her grin was wide.

“Yeah.” Jal agreed, laughing and crying in equal measure. “That she would. Oh Melina…” He hugged her tight. “I don’t want to lose you.”

“It’s not your fault, Dad.” Melina said softly. “You believe it is, but it isn’t. Those filthy Green-eer brutes hurt me. Not you.” Melina looked at Iriana who bowed her head. “You have to let me go, Dad.”

“I… I can’t.” Jal’s tone was abject. “You are all I have left.”

“There were other kids, weren’t there?” Melina said softly. “Ones who lost their parents?” Jal jerked and Melina nodded. “They need a dad. You need someone to take care of.”

“Don’t say that!” Jal nearly shouted. “I… Melina… I can’t…”

“Dad.” The girl said gently. “The Healer is waiting. She has given us this chance. Don’t blame her.”

“I don’t.” Jal said softly. “Other Tenno may have ignored us, or left us to die. But she came to help you, even when hurt. I owe you.” He said, raising his eyes to meet Iriana’s.

“You owe me nothing, Jal.” Iriana said kindly. “This is what I do. I repair when I can, heal when I can. Ease when I must.”

“It cannot be easy.” Jal said, holding Melina close.

“Nothing worthwhile ever is.” Iriana said gently. “But our time is almost up.”

“What happens if we are here when…” Jal swallowed hard.

“If she is here in my mind when she goes, we die.” Iriana said quietly. “I cannot allow you to follow her, Jal. She is lost, you are not.” Jal opened his mouth to protest, but Melina beat her to it.

“Dad…” The girl said softly. “She will stay, even if it kills her, to save you.” Jal stared at Iriana incredulous and then paled as the Tenno Healer nodded. “She has a girl of her own. Don’t… Don’t orphan her little girl too. Please, Dad.”

“I never win arguments with you.” Jal said unhappily. But then he hugged her tight again and released her. “What do we…? What can I… do?” A door appeared on one wall of the small room and Melina sighed and started for it. There was pitch blackness on the other side. “Melina, I love you!” Jal said, his heart breaking, tears falling.

“I love you too, Dad.” Melina said with tears falling to match his. “Miss Iriana. I am ready.”

“Step through the doorway, dear Melina.” Iriana said, her own voice calm, but tears of her own falling. “Be at peace.” The girl smiled, stepped through the door and vanished. Jal gave a cry, but then sank to his knees beside Iriana.

“Thank you.” He said softly through his tears. “It hurts. But… She isn’t hurting anymore, is she?”

“No, she is not.” Iriana said sadly. “It doesn’t help much. But it is all we have.”

“She called you Iriana.” Jal said softly. “I swear I should know that name from somewhere.”

“Please call me Iri.” Iriana said softly. “The fewer people who know what I… used to be... the better. My past is gone. I will likely never see my children or my adopted sister again. I have to… move on. So must you.”

“I understand, Iri.” Jal said quietly. “That cannot be easy for you to do. For this… At any time, at any price, I am your man.”

Don’t say that!” Iriana snapped, startling Jal. “Don’t… Just…” She started crying harder. “Just don’t…We need to go back.”

“How do we…?” Jal was asking as the world around them vanished.

As soon as Iriana opened her eye, she knew Melina had stopped breathing. She had fallen on her side, not that uncommon, but she had landed on her right arm and it hurt like fire. She waited until Jal gasped for air and then retracted the leads of her neural link back into the box, shutting it with a click. She felt her eye burn as Jal cried.

“I am sorry, Jal.” Iriana said with a wince as pain rose inside her. Her leg was on fire, her arm hurt like blazes and her head was starting to throb.

“You did me a service, Miss Iri.” Jal said softly, then froze, staring at her. “You are bleeding from your nose and ear!” He said, then shook himself, rising. Before she could protest, he had her in hand, stepping towards the door. “Pat!” He called, his voice stronger than it had been.

“Jal? What?” Pat and Jason came running, and skidded to a stop as Jal continued. “What happened?”

“Melina is gone.” Jal said softly. “She helped us both. But she is bleeding!”

“Just a nosebleed.” Iriana said weakly. Pat shook her head and ran a scanner over the slumping healer. “I… am okay…”

“No, you are not.” Pat said, paling. “Come on, let’s get you back to bed.” Iriana started to protest, but Jal just hefted her and started off, Jason taking her feet carefully.

Truth be told, Iriana was weaving. Everything hurt, and her head was on fire. It didn’t usually feel like that when she connected neural feeds. Maybe she was hurt worse than she thought? Or something to do with merging to humans? She hadn’t done that very often. She didn’t know and the pain was increasing. She barely felt it when she was laid back on a bed, when tubes connected and pressures eased. She was trying not to writhe in the agony that was seeping through her brain. She heard raised voices, then it all went away.

“Iriana?” A worried voice spoke and Iriana jerked. She wasn’t in the bed anymore. She was on an exam table in a Tenno style facility. Or… No. It wasn’t real. This was a mental projection. She stared at the young female Tenno who stood nearby, clad in an odd but beautiful golden gown. She knew this Tenno!

“Michelle?” Iriana said, stunned. “Wha…?”

“What has happened to you?” The other asked, stunned. “I can feel your pain. Who has hurt you?” The younger woman demanded stepping closer. “What happened?”

“No.” Iriana begged. “Stay away…”

“Iriana, please!” Michelle begged. “I want to help! We want to help! Tell me where you are! Sara and Mishka are going crazy with worry. They need their mom back!”

“Get away…” Iriana slurred as she tried to retreat, but could not move. “Bunch of liars… gonna take my brain matter now?” She asked as gowned forms appeared beside Michelle, armed with gleaming instruments. “Like that poor girl?”

“Iriana, you have massive neural trauma.” Michelle said quickly. “Please, let us help! We felt you access the link, we couldn’t track it. Where are you? We can send help! Without help you will die.”

“Would rather die than help you! You… Tenno… took my patient from me… Gave her to that monster…” Iriana slurred, struggling as something wrapped around her. “I am a Healer, not a butcher. Let. Me. Go.” She struggled for all she was worth and then…

“Iri!” Pat’s voice was sharp with worry. “Iri, come on, stay with us.” Iriana felt herself start to fade, but something hard grabbed her and held her as she tried to flee her mortal shell. She stared up at the Volt warframe that had a hand on hers, another on her chest. She smiled and fell into blackness.

“What was that?” Pat asked, stunned. “She was… She was talking to someone… Someone else.” She stared down at the sleeping healer, her worry slowly easing as she saw Iri’s rhythms stabilizing. The fight to save Iriana had been taxing, even with Artus’ aid. Whatever the woman had done with Jal had hurt Iri inside the woman’s brain. Pat wasn’t sure if the wounds could be treated. If so, they were beyond her ability.

“I don’t know.” Artus said quietly. “This is beyond my skills.”

“She said a name…” Pat said softly. “Michelle. And what was that about being betrayed?”

“Pat.” Artus said softly. “Don’t press her. She has reasons to hide what she was.” He slumped a bit. “You think you are the only ones who have been abused?”

“No.” Pat said quietly, the horror of what she had heard shaking her. Just listening to the woman shout at whoever she had been talking to had been… horrific. Taking brain matter from a girl? No wonder the kind doctor was irate. “Iri is a good person.”

“The best.” Artus agreed.

“Who would do that to her?” Pat said sadly, smoothing the new bandages over the sleeping woman’s face. “Hurt her so badly that she would try to kill herself rather than let them take her?”

“Your opinion of my kind is hardly unique.” Artus said calmly. “And not without merit.”

“Tenno did this to her.” Pat said firmly. Artus did not react and she sighed. “What can we do?”

“Help her through this.” Artus said softly. “You had to up the dose to keep her still while you drained the hematoma. She is going to be… a handful when she wakes.” That had been bad, but then Iriana had started speaking aloud even unconscious. Shouting. Screaming. Finally, she had stopped, but then her heart had stopped. Artus had brought her back, but…

“At least we regened her leg.” Pat said with a sigh, smiling at the now uncovered limb. But her face fell as she looked at Iriana’s right arm. “What does ‘Error code 34A90’ mean anyway? It should have worked!”

“No idea.” Artus said with a shrug. “But it doesn’t really matter, Pat. You don’t have a choice now.”

“I know.” Pat said saidly as she reached for tools nearby. “I just hope she forgives me.”

“She is a doc.” Artus said as Pat picked up a sonic bone saw. “She understands about cellular death. Amputation is extreme, but the only choice with the entire limb failing as it is.”

“Will you…stay?” Pat asked as she pulled a surgical mask over her face.

“I will.” Artus said with a nod as he took hold of Iriana’s good and soon to be only hand. Pat nodded and bent to her horrific task.

“Princess Michelle…” Guard Commander Petra was not in a good mood as she watched Michelle toss gear into a small pack. “You can’t go.”

Don’t try to stop me, Petra.” Michelle, princess of Avalon, said with a snarl. She was in a worse mood than her guard. “I got a bit of a fix on her, I am going after her.”

“Princess…” The head medic, called Chirurgeon, said slowly. “No one else could see where she was. No one else got anything from the link but pain and fear.” It wasn’t commonly known that Healers could access neural linkages. Fewer still knew they could be tracked by other Healers when using said linkages. That fact that Michelle could access those links was due in no small part to her… unique history. A history she shared with the lost Healer.

“I am not letting Mishka and Sara’s mom die!” Michelle said with a louder snarl. “She was in a cave somewhere. I got that. That narrows it somewhat. Karl said she was on Mercury. That narrows it further.”

“Michelle.” The princess did not look up as her mother entered her chambers. “You can’t go.”

“We caused this, mother!” Michelle said with a sigh. “We have to try and fix it.”

“Michelle…” Eliza, Empress of Orokin said firmly. “You are next in line for the throne and do not have an heir yet. You. Can’t. Go.” This was not a mother grounding a child. This was an Empress’ command.

“Mom…” Michelle slumped in place, her face falling. “I… I saw a bit more than anyone else. I can find her!”

If what you saw is real, then we will notify Karl at the next scheduled contact.” Eliza said firmly. “Yes. We are responsible.” Eliza said with a sigh. “I… thought it was a good idea. Even when Karl and the others protested, I believed the lies. I wanted to.” She shook her head. “Michelle, I need you to sit down with Petra and think about everything you remember. Smells, sounds, anything and everything.”

“Mom.” Michelle said sadly. “She saved my life. I owe her.”

“It was her job to save your life.” Eliza said with no give at all. “Your job is to protect the feeble remnants of Orokin. Do your job.” This last was a command.

“I…” Michelle slumped in place and the pack she had been filling slipped out of her fingers to fall to the floor. “Yes, Empress.” She would not meet anyone’s eyes as she moved to the bed and sat, tears starting to fall, but then... She tensed.

We hear. A soft, barely audible voice sounded in Michelle’s mind. We will find her.

The last time, Michelle had heard the soft voice that sounded so like hers… It had promised that she would hear from them again. Infested. But instead of horror, Michelle felt a surge of hope.

Jasmina…

So...... you named the Dragon Kalenath?

Whatever.

Technically, since I wrote the story first, this forum avatar is named after him. And I didn't put his full name on here. He... wouldn't like me doing that.

So with this brand new surge of hope!  Who dies :(

Would I do that?

*looks innocent then sad*

Yeah I would. But not who you expect. First rule of medicine, emergency and otherwise. You cannot save everyone.

Edited by Kalenath

Searches

Iriana woke in a cold sweat. Her entire body felt… Something was wrong! Her leg felt far, far better than it should have. So someone had probably used up a large chunk of the regenerator’s power supply on her broken bones. Her head felt…funny. But it was her arm… She opened her eye and looked down at… where her right arm should have been. It wasn’t there.

“Oh ancestors…” Iriana said with a gulp as she slowly reached across with her left hand to… touch the bandaged stump that ended halfway between her right shoulder and where her right elbow had been. “Why?” She pleaded.

“Error code 34A90.” A familiar voice spoke from nearby and Artus appeared in her field of vision. “What does it mean?”

“Not… enough…” Iriana swallowed. “Not enough baseline material to start regeneration. Basically… too much cellular damage. Means it…was putrefying. It… It wasn’t that bad.” She was shaking. Rage or something… “I… It wasn’t that bad!” She cried.

“You must have bashed it when you helped Jal with Melina. We tried to regen it four times, Iri.” Pat said from behind Artus. The medic looked like hell. “I am sorry, Iri, but it was decaying.” Iriana was shaking her head, wild rage surging in her.

“Pat.” Artus said quickly. “Out!” he commanded as Iriana surged up from the bed, only to be caught by strangely gentle armored hands and held impotently thrashing her legs and remaining arm. Pat fled and Artus laid Iriana back down, holding her to the bed. “Ma’am. You had a subdural hematoma as well as the arm. You had a heart attack while you were out. You need to calm down.”

“Calm?” Iriana screamed. “I’ll give you calm, you lousy excuse for a Tenno!” She swung at him, yelping in pain as something in her left hand went crack, but she kept hitting him. She was amazed. Why was she so angry?

“It isn’t you.” Artus said with sadness. “We had to give you… a lot of morphine to keep you still while Pat drilled the holes to let the fluid drain from your head and then to take off your arm.” Iriana hit him again and something else went crack. “Ma’am!” He snapped. “Please stop! You are hurting yourself.”

“Don’t care!” Iriana nearly screamed. “Lousy lying warriors! All of you! Every last one of you! You lie! Go ahead, beat me, shoot me, take pieces of my brain out! I can’t stop you!” Now she was screaming. Artus… just held her gently. “I can’t stop you!

“Easy, ma’am.” Artus said as Iriana slumped. “You are coming down. This is going to be… rough.”

“Wish I was dead.” Iriana sobbed. “This… this…” Indeed, the cravings were intense. Far more intense than anything she had ever imagined. “I… Help?” She begged.

“Ma’am.” Artus said softly. “The only way we have to alleviate your withdrawal…”

“No…” Iriana said softly. “No…” She pleaded.

“…is by giving you more.” Artus said, his posture tense. “I… could get you to a detox facility I know of…”

“The moment you take me there, they will find me.” Iriana said softly then shook her head savagely. “No.” Her hand was shaking as she held it out. “Give.”

“Ma’am… Iri…” Artus said softly. “I can’t do that to you.”

“Give it to me, Artus.” Iriana said flatly. “Now.”

“If I give it to you, you will overdose or inject yourself with air bubbles to suicide.” Artus said reasonably. “I won’t kill you or let you die.”

Give it to me!” Iriana screamed. “I won’t let you Warriors destroy me! I’ll do it to myself!”

“Why?” Artus demanded. “Why give up?”

“I can’t fight myself!” Iriana said, suddenly wilting. “This is… too much. Too far. Too…” She gasped and then slumped. She started to cry. “I… I can’t…”

“Yes, you can, Healer Iriana.” Artus said in a very soft voice. “Healer.” He said formally. “I have a patient with head trauma who is now addicted to narcotic painkillers. She is presenting…” He paused as Iriana spoke.

“…aggressive and unpredictable behavior.” Iriana said softly, her voice faraway as she focused on her calling. “Treatment is…. As follows. Monitor head wound and eye damage. Treat as required.” She was shaking hard now. “Wean from narcotics. Use lesser painkillers if available.” She lay back, sobbing. “Artus… I… I can’t do this…”

“If that is what you believe…” Artus said softly. “Then no, you won’t be able to. I don’t believe that. You are stronger than anyone I have ever met. Hurting people is easy, Healer. Fixing them?” He shook his head. “We will help as we can.”

“Don’t let me near it.” Iriana said, swallowing hard. “I won’t be able to stop myself.”

“I know.” Artus said softly. “Pat did what she could.”

“Get her in here.” Iriana said flatly. Pat entered the room a moment later, looking wary. “You did what you had to, to save my life, Pat. I know that.” Iriana said quietly. “But I hate you right now.”

“I know.” The medic said quietly. “I am sorry, Iri. There was no other way.”

“I will try to be… open minded.” Iriana said, shaking again. “I will try to be calm. But this…” Indeed, as she focused on them, the cravings intensified. “Give me something else to focus on! Please!” She begged.

“Okay.” Pat said, leaning against the wall by the door. “I have twenty three patients. Fourteen have minor injuries. Nine have major. None of the injuries are currently life threatening but three are problematic due to the only available painkiller.”

“Head trauma?” Iriana said slowly. Pat nodded. “All addicted?” Pat nodded again. “Am I on that list?” Pat shook her head and Iriana sighed. “Put me in there. Okay, worst one first. Do you have a chart?”

“Yes.” Pat handed a datapad to Artus who handed it to Iriana. “His name is Goeg. He was a mine inspector. He was struck in the lower back by a Grineer shotgun blast and lost the use of his legs. While he was down, the Grineer shot him in the head when he tried to crawl away. It didn’t kill him.”

“Tough guy, huh?” Iriana said perusing the datapad.

“You don’t know the half of it.” Pat said with a sour chuckle. “Anyway… His mine helmet diverted some of the…”

Minehelmet…?” Iriana said, her eyes going wide.

“Yeah.” Pat said with a shrug. “We use scavenged gear. Helmets make sense underground. Lots of things to bash heads on.”

“And if it is meant to stand up to rock, a puny little bullet isn’t going to penetrate it so easily.”Iriana said with a nod. “How bad?”

“Problem was that the bullet didn’t penetrate, instead it spalled bits of the inside of the helmet off and they hit his head.” Pat said with a wince. “No brain damage that I can detect, but lots of trauma. And he is a pain in the butt. Wants to go get even with the Grineer.”

“I see.” Iriana said with a nod. “What was the helmet made of?”

“Metal outside, plastic lining inside. The pieces that came off and hit his head were plastic so the pieces do not show up on scans that well.” Pat said with a wince. “No discernable damage to the brain itself, but lots of mess. Mainly he is paralyzed from the waist down and really, really irritated at the Grineer. He takes it out on everyone around him.”

“Joy.” Iriana said with a wince. “We may be able to focus the scanners to detect plastic, but that is a finesse job.” She held up her shaking hand. “I am not going to be able to do it for a while.”

“Iri… I…” Pat stammered, but Iriana ignored her.

“Next?” The doc in the bed said sharply. Pat sighed.

“Rikar.” Pat said as she settled down to work with her colleague, Artus maintaining a watch. “Gunshot wound to the left arm with penetrating trauma to chest as well as the remnant of a concussion from a fall…” Iriana focused on the medical stuff. It would keep her from feeling the cravings. She hoped.

“I don’t get it.” Janas said softly as he stared at the scene in front of him. No one would blame him for being dubious. “Why are they here?”

The Loki warframe beside him did not speak. Instead, both watched Infested assault the small Grineer outpost. Surprise had been total. One moment, while the sniper Loki had been setting up for a long range harassing shot, everything had been clear, then next, the night had erupted in gunfire, growls and screams. Lots of screams. The Infested had somehow managed to get past the Grineer perimeter patrols and enter their camp where some of the clones had gone to sleep in the crude bunkhouses that were all that Grineer bothered to make for themselves in the field. It wasn’t a battle below anymore, it was a slaughter. Janas did not like feeling sorry for Grineer, but…

“No sign of any leader masses.” Janas said as he scanned the battlefield with his sensors. “But this was coordinated. Ordinary Infested wouldn’t get past the outer perimeter.” The sniper did not respond, instead he swept the battlefield with his Snipetron scope.

Grineer had overkill down to a science. ‘When in doubt, get a bigger gun’ was their motto. When the bigger gun didn’t work, they brought in lots of big guns. If that didn’t work, they got more and more, and more until the situation either was resolved or the area they were fighting in was rendered totally uninhabitable. They were crude and loud but they were numerous. The many patrols that had been sent out from the small outpost would have detected regular Infested. The resulting battle would have brought hundreds more Grineer. But…

“Where are the patrols?” Janas asked softly. “They wouldn’t just ignore the…” Both her and Aeron spun with oaths as something hit the ground between them. A Kunai! Both froze at what they saw.

“The Grineer patrols are busy.” The Ember Prime said calmly, her hand twirling another Kunai. Neither the Ash not the Loki made a move. Jasmina was alone, but… “We are not enemies this day, Tenno. Keep it that way.” Then, she dropped a smoke bomb and was gone! No noise, no trace of her passage. No nothing!

She teleported! That was an Ash ability! Janas thought with a wince. “How the hell…?” Janas said, his tone scared. That was way beyond what even a Prime Ember could do. Not a hologram, he could see the Kunai buried in the dirt nearby. It was starting to disintegrate. So… what?

“Fall back.” Aeron said softly. “Now.”

“Right.” Janas swallowed and did as instructed. They were outmaneuvered and probably surrounded. “Warn the others?”

“I bet they know.” Aeron said dryly.

One moment, all was still. Artus was sitting beside her bed, doing whatever Tenno Warriors did when they had downtime, the next it was chaos. Screams sounded from all over and Artus jumped up, but froze in place as the door opened and a form entered. The Ember Prime held Pat’s struggling form in a careful hand.

“… and calm down, Lady!” The Ember was saying sharply. “No one is hurt. No one is dead. Yes, we are scaring people, but for frack’s sake, calm down! I am not going to hurt you!”

“Let me go!” Pat screamed. “Bloody monsters!”

Jasmina?” Iriana and Artus both exclaimed as one. They looked at each other and Iriana had to bite back a giggle. It was hard. Jasmina froze on seeing the bandaged Healer.

“What have they done to you, Healer?” Jasmina demanded, her tone harsh. She set Pat on her feet, but held onto the medic as Pat tried to wiggle free. “What did you do to her?” Her tone turned dangerous as she glared at the medic.

“Jasmina…” Iriana said, slumped. “They saved my life. I… Karl’s people tried to snatch me. I ran… I… jumped.”

“What the hell? Karl knows better.” Jasmina said, her focus on the Volt now. “Artus?”

“Hello Jasmina.” Artus said quietly. He hadn’t drawn any weapons, but his hands were on his Lato and Ether Sword. “Didn’t expect to see you again anytime soon.”

“Iriana is my friend.” Jasmina said sharply. “I heard she was missing. I came.”

“Iriana?” Pat asked weakly, then her eyes went wide as she stared at the Healer. “You… You are Healer Iriana? The one who worked in the tower? The one who came to help when Gillie had her babies? The Tenno Healer?”

That had been… bad, Iriana remembered. The poor woman had not possessed the strength of body to handle triplets and the birth had been…difficult. Iriana had been called and just as she had arrived, the poor woman had gone into cardiac arrest. Iriana had, with help, managed to save the mother and all three kids, but it had been touch and go. She had hoped to check on them. That was one reason she had gone to the colony where this had all started.

“Who did you think she was?” Jasmina snapped, still upset. “Geez… Iriana… I…” She sounded in tears.

“Everyone, calm down.” Iriana said softly. “Jasmina… What have you done?”

“I have teams out harrying the Grineer, but Karl’s people are on planet and approaching.” Jasmina said with a sigh. “I had planned to come in quietly, but they are coming. So, I came in fast with a few others. They are holding the settlers here until we can egress.”

“Teams of what?” Artus demanded. “I hear Infested.” Iriana went still at that.

“Teams of sentient Infested.” Jasmina said as if that insanity were completely normal. “No one is hurt.” She said quickly as both Artus and Iriana tensed to move. “Stragglers of feral infested have joined the attacks on Grineer, but we have not let any of them in here.”

“There are Infested on this planet?” Pat asked, stunned. “No one ever saw any.”

“Infested are everywhere.” Iriana, Artus and Jasmina said in unison and all three chuckled sourly at the ancient Tenno warning.

“Iriana.” Jasmina said quietly. “We can help you. Will you come with us?” Iriana’s eye went wide and Jasmina snorted. “I am not Karl or that lying creep Redi and his scummy patron. I ask before I do things that people may not like.”

“Jasmina… I…” Iriana bowed her head. “I am not fully… cognizant at the moment. Artus? What do you think?”

“What do you mean, cognizant?” Jasmina demanded as Artus stood thinking. “What did they do to you?” She asked Iriana.

“The colonists who survived the Grineer attacks took refuge in these caves, Jasmina.” Iriana said quietly. “They had little tech and fewer medical tools. What they did have was a supply of poppy flowers.” Jasmina stared at the Healer and then inhaled in horror. “Yes.” Iriana said heavily. “I am addicted to morphine.”

“Oh my god…” Jasmina said with a soft moan. “We have to get you out of here. To safety. Karl’s people are pushing. The Grineer and my teams are holding them for now, but we are taking casualties.”

“I am not leaving these people, Jasmina.” Iriana said sharply. “They saved my life. Even with…” She raised the stump of her arm and Jasmina jerked.

“Not leaving them…?” Jasmina asked softly, but no one sane would call it calm. “Or not leaving the source of the morphine?”

“Both.” Iriana said quietly. “Either. But that doesn’t change the facts, Jasmina. These people were screwed. By Tenno. We owe them.” Jasmina stared at the healer, then at Artus who nodded.

“I was on the other side of the system.” Artus said quietly. “I heard the distress call, and came. Others were closer. They ignored the distress call.” Jasmina inhaled sharply again and the Volt nodded. “The others let the Grineer take these settlements. ‘No strategic value’ I was told when I asked.” His voice held barely disguised rage. “These people deserved better.” Pat stared from one Tenno to the other, stunned. “Our shame, Medic Pat. Our duty to do whatever we can to make amends. Others may disagree. I don’t care.”

“I don’t.” Jasmina said quietly. She released Pat’s arm and the medic recoiled up against the wall. “I give apology. For scaring you and your people. I was… worried about my friend.”

“She is a good person. She didn’t deserve this.” Pat said and Iriana suddenly felt her good eye burn.

“Neither did you.” Iriana said into the silence that fell. “Jasmina, I can’t leave them.”

“How many?” Jasmina asked calmly.

“How many what?” Pat asked, still smarting.

“How many civilians?” Jasmina asked, obviously thinking as hard as Artus had been. “How many people are hiding here?”

“Eighty seven.” Pat said in a monotone. Iriana’s eye went huge.

“Eighty-…! There were two thousand people in that settlement!” Iriana nearly screamed. “They…? They just… let them all be taken or die?” Artus bowed his head and Iriana snarled a vile oath. “Fine. Jasmina! Can you help?”

“We can.” Jasmine said formally. Then she turned to Pat. “How quickly can you get them set up to move?” Pat stared at her, uncomprehending. “We don’t have a lot of time before Karl and his people hit this place. They are good Tenno, but are after Iriana here. And if HQ wrote these people off, then Karl’s people likely won’t know about them and come in blasting.” Iriana and Artus both winced and Jasmina nodded. “We can evac you to someplace safer.”

“You are working with Infested.” Pat snapped. “How can that be safer?”

“You might be surprised.” Jasmina said with a grin that was visible even through her closed helmet. “So…?”

“I don’t… speak for everyone…” Pat said, quailing. “What are you proposing?”

“That you all vanish into thin air.”

Edited by Kalenath