Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Update 14 Introduced Glorious Random Freezing

AdunSaveMe

So, the game freezes randomly for an annoying amount of time.

I don't know how to replicate it or what causes it.

First time was in the first prologue mission. Running down a corridor, BAM, ten second freeze.

Sound stopped for a second.

Second time was after stealth killing a shield lancer with my Obex, earning enough exp to level it.

Cracked his neck, it froze for thirty seconds.

As it unfroze, the level up thing appeared.

Third time, on the grineer galleon, when I went to raise the reactor... It went up about half a meter or so then BAM

A three minute long freeze.

And it keeps happening randomly, lasting between ten seconds and a minute. It's maddening.

Happens when stuff is going on and when stuff isn't going on.

Anyone got ideas on how I can stop this or at least figure out what's causing it?

Cos right now, I've got no clue about either.

Also, I perfectly understand the whole thing about updates and bugs and give them time yada yada.

If we could figure this one out, maybe it'd help.

I too get a freeze everytime my weapon of frame level's up which also cause a total game crash. For now I can't level up any weapons which is kinda frustrating but I hope DE will fix this soon as this is a game breaking bug/performance issue.

Yup, same with freezes here. Basically first freeze kicks me from party and i have to solo rest of the mission, second freeze, if it happens but atm it happens every mission, crashes my game most times. It's impossible for me to play and get anything from a mission (exp, loot), because of those crashes after freeze. Sigh. 

So, the game freezes randomly for an annoying amount of time.

I don't know how to replicate it or what causes it.

First time was in the first prologue mission. Running down a corridor, BAM, ten second freeze.

Sound stopped for a second.

Second time was after stealth killing a shield lancer with my Obex, earning enough exp to level it.

Cracked his neck, it froze for thirty seconds.

As it unfroze, the level up thing appeared.

Third time, on the grineer galleon, when I went to raise the reactor... It went up about half a meter or so then BAM

A three minute long freeze.

And it keeps happening randomly, lasting between ten seconds and a minute. It's maddening.

Happens when stuff is going on and when stuff isn't going on.

Anyone got ideas on how I can stop this or at least figure out what's causing it?

Cos right now, I've got no clue about either.

Also, I perfectly understand the whole thing about updates and bugs and give them time yada yada.

If we could figure this one out, maybe it'd help.

Same problem, mine is never more than 20 secs tho

Edited by ImortalTJones

This is a texture memory issue most likely. I have this problem, I run openhardwaremonitor in verbose mode on the second screen and those freezes are happening when it shows that my GPU memory spikes to 99.9% used. At the same time, there's clear swapping going on as HD light lights up.

I haven't had this problem before, and I generally do not have this problem on older tilesets, where there's more then enough memory. On newer sets, setting texture memory to "high" causes this problem, medium causes shorter freezes of less than a second every once in a while and low generally rolls smoothly. That said, on newer tilesets even on low, memory usage sits around 90% when teammates are using abilities.

Considering that I have 1GB of video ram on my 560Ti, which is generally enough for most newer games to run on high textures and far better than what warframe requires, this appears to be problem with warframe's texture memory management.

The worst part about this is that these random 10 second freezes typically disconnect you from the host and throw you out in the lobby.

EDIT: using 32-bit client partially solves the problem. Game becomes playable in most scenarios on high as it should be. Still some micro-freezes, but much less and no disconnects due to long freezes so far.

Edited by Luckyo

I think it is fair to expect this to be addressed sooner than later. It's currently game breaking. I am currently looking at a black screen of death appearing in the middle of a pluto DS mission. Last night was fine. Today...not so much

Edited by Nkomo-Sama

I think it is fair to expect this to be addressed sooner than later. It's currently game breaking. I am currently looking at a black screen of death appearing in the middle of a pluto DS mission. Last night was fine. Today...not so much

Reality is, this is probably because of the feature creep. Everything works fine with original tilesets (at least for me). It's the new tilesets with higher graphical fidelity that break the system. This suggests that game designers cut a few corners to put more graphically impressive content into the game, causing the issues.

I'm guessing client needs an optimization run on the new tilesets, but those things usually tax the very programmers that are most busy making sure that client supports whatever new tilesets are coming. That means that they probably lack the time/resources for proper optimization run and DE is just hoping that eventual improvements in hardware will allow them to keep the sloppy code.

On another note, the problem persists  for me in 32-bit client, but on a much lesser scale than in 64-bit. Micro-stuttering and freezes all the time when there's enough particle effects and enemies/teammates on the screen, or we're running into a new room and there's clearly texture loading of some kind going on. Not getting kicked out to the lobby any more due to >10 second freezes though, so I guess I'm at least not as badly off as some people in this thread.

The game runs between 90 and 120fps with everything on high (I only have DoF, MB, permanent weapon trails and color correction off, everything else is on and maxed) when it's not microstuttering, with occasional falls down to 60fps when there are several dosens of infested and massive ability spam going on. So other than this incredibly annoying and occasionally deadly microstuttering, I have no performance issues.

Edited by Luckyo

After the update: my game freezes when loading. After that? I lose the connection to the host. So much for that. Trying Volt in the tutorial is nice, though.

Playing solo or hosting helps this, because when you're the host, you don't get timed out from the game.

This is a texture memory issue most likely. I have this problem, I run openhardwaremonitor in verbose mode on the second screen and those freezes are happening when it shows that my GPU memory spikes to 99.9% used. At the same time, there's clear swapping going on as HD light lights up.

I haven't had this problem before, and I generally do not have this problem on older tilesets, where there's more then enough memory. On newer sets, setting texture memory to "high" causes this problem, medium causes shorter freezes of less than a second every once in a while and low generally rolls smoothly. That said, on newer tilesets even on low, memory usage sits around 90% when teammates are using abilities.

Considering that I have 1GB of video ram on my 560Ti, which is generally enough for most newer games to run on high textures and far better than what warframe requires, this appears to be problem with warframe's texture memory management.

The worst part about this is that these random 10 second freezes typically disconnect you from the host and throw you out in the lobby.

EDIT: using 32-bit client partially solves the problem. Game becomes playable in most scenarios on high as it should be. Still some micro-freezes, but much less and no disconnects due to long freezes so far.

This is the exact problem i am having. I run a 670 gtx and when looking at Afterburner during these freezes (which i have to ctrl alt del to bring up the windows control just to open  up task manager since ctrl shift esc becomes unresponsive) my load is at 99% which shouldn't be happening. Hell The Witcher 2 RARELY caused 99% load. It is also causing spikes to temps as well as you can imagine with the increased load. This really seems to be the problem at least from my perspective.

Edited by Amoranis

It's not random. For me, freezes happen consistently when:

1. Something ranks up.

2. Mission Completion

3. Changing chat channels

4. Somebody joins/leaves a mission

5. Completion of a mission

6. Viewing of a mission summary page in the ship after the mission is completed

7. Installation of ship components during the prologue mission.

I might've missed a few, but those are the ones I've noticed.

It's not random. For me, freezes happen consistently when:

1. Something ranks up.

2. Mission Completion

3. Changing chat channels

4. Somebody joins/leaves a mission

5. Completion of a mission

6. Viewing of a mission summary page in the ship after the mission is completed

7. Installation of ship components during the prologue mission.

I might've missed a few, but those are the ones I've noticed.

Basically in game freezes happen when games has to load some extra textures and animations such as level up "aura". Chat/connection issues appear to be about chat window being generally laggy and unresponsive, which is a different problem.

so im not the only one...every time in mission it looks fine then....boom freeze!! and i lose connection with the host.... so i cant complete any missions.....

also....if i use too many times Hydroid skills....and that's bullsh*t

Edited by Gigantio

Basically in game freezes happen when games has to load some extra textures and animations such as level up "aura". Chat/connection issues appear to be about chat window being generally laggy and unresponsive, which is a different problem.

It's unlikely a low memory issue.

I'm no where near close to using any of my components @100%.

Maybe it's to do with multithreading? It would cause a common problem across different hardware.

For Instance, Warframe on my system:

~3GB SysRAM (inc. OS) of 8GB

~1.5GB VRAM of 2GB

~40% CPU utilization

The only thing i notice different from 13.9 is the core loading. I have 8 cores and Warframe uses all of them to a fair degree. Previously, it primarily utilized only 4 with the other 4 having minimal workloads.

13.9:

cpu7rjkf.png

14.0:

warframettjfn.png

If you're familiar with the guy who codes the ENB shader mods, the way he puts it; 'The more threads you have, the more potential for things to go wrong' - or something to that tune.

It could just be bug with the code.

Edited by MillbrookWest

yeah it freeze every time i lvl up something....and this....is kinda bad....since im lvling up hydorid, heat dagger the new machinepistols and my kubrow...

i just ran with all lv30...no dc at all...but its weird...it started yesterday, before the hotfix... when i equiped the heatdagger...its cursed!!

Edited by Gigantio