Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Hydra: Grineer Multistack Rifle

MJ12

The accidental Grineer fire rate buff was hilarious (and kind of painful) while it lasted.

But it actually inspired me a bit. What if we had guns with similar absolutely and utterly ridiculous buzzsaw fire rates? So here's an idea.

The Hydra: Grineer Multistack Rifle

Type: Multibarrel Assault Rifle

Description: Designed for use by heavily armored Grineer, the HYDRA is a nine-barreled heavy assault rifle with a slow reload and a generous magazine. It fires multiple low-damage shots per trigger pull, resembling a somewhat more accurate automatic shotgun. Its low damage and high fire rate make it excellent for close quarters use by heavily armored units, as its low-power rounds have difficulties penetrating armor.

Unfortunately it has a tendency to 'runaway', firing more rounds than intended.

Appearance: It's a Grineer version of this:

Typhoon1080p.png

So you know, dark green, bulbous, nine barrels in the front.

Damage: 2.0 (not a typo) x 9

Rate: 30.0

Magazine: 180

Reload Time: 6.0 seconds default

Accuracy: Mid-Low (depending on burst length)

Recoil: Mid-High

Special: It has a spin-down time. It will not fire for less than 0.3 seconds (9 rounds) no matter what you do. If you hold it down for a prolonged period this spin-down time increases, to a maximum of 2 seconds. After firing a burst it needs a short period of time to cool, so firing in bursts to maximize accuracy and minimize overkill will reduce its DPS significantly.

Special Damage Bonuses/Penalties: Headshot Damage multiplied by x0.75

Yes, its DPS is absolutely ridiculous (assuming you can control your bursts and deal with the 'runaway' issue. Its ammunition consumption is even more ridiculous, though, and more than makes up for it. Also, its low headshot damage mean it's basically only usable for spray-and-pray. Also, its really low per-shot damage actually creates another weakness-because weapon damage rounds normally, elemental damage fails to apply as easily.

But for six glorious seconds you are going to be holding in your hands the deadliest implement of destruction in all existence. Just... keep in mind that each rifle ammo pickup is only giving you 0.67 more seconds of firing time.

Edited by MJ12

So basically the rifle version of the viper. which works considering The hyrdra is a snake like beast. Though such a high fire rate would plus a small amount of damage just would not work in Warframe. Though I can still get behind the idea.

Edit: also a P90-esque weapon in a grineer style is something I've been thinking about lately so I can get behind that also.

Edited by EclecticDragon

So basicly the rifle version of the viper. which works considering The hyrdra is a snake like beast. Though such a high fire rate would plus a small amount of damage just would not work in Warframe. Though I can still get behind the idea.

Its damage is actually 18 per unit of ammunition expended, so it's like a Boar that uses rifle ammo (and fires way faster for less damage). It's kind of like a rifle-shotgun hybrid. The low per-pellet damage is mostly so it can actually shoot hundreds of bullets a second and to actually give it a weakness in that elemental damage is really hard to use on it.

Basically it's just a cool weapon idea that plays with the barriers between weapons (like I'd argue the Hek is a hybrid shotgun-rifle from the other side, with the accuracy of a semi-auto rifle and the other traits of a shotgun).

Edited by MJ12

I very much support this idea, a weapon like this would be a great addition to the game. Would have to be balanced of course, but that can be done reletively easily.

I figure the fact that it's bad at headshots, ammo-inefficient, loses DPS on bursts (due to the 'cooldown' concept after each shot), and has a reload time of 'geological epoch' balances its ridiculous DPS if you shove it in someone's chest and hold down the trigger.

it just seems to powerful to me, comparing it to the gorgon at max speed this gun still out dps by alot, if i am doing my math right its 18 damage per shot and fire rate of 30 gorgon is 24 damage at a (after wind up) rate of 12.5 so by simply multiplying rate of fire by damage you have hydra at 540 and gorgon at 300, that makes the hydra deal pretty much twice the dps when you include the wind up, honestly tho having 9 shots per round makes it by diffention a shotgun to be honest its just good to consider balancing when you segest a gun is all ^.^

it just seems to powerful to me, comparing it to the gorgon at max speed this gun still out dps by alot, if i am doing my math right its 18 damage per shot and fire rate of 30 gorgon is 24 damage at a (after wind up) rate of 12.5 so by simply multiplying rate of fire by damage you have hydra at 540 and gorgon at 300, that makes the hydra deal pretty much twice the dps when you include the wind up, honestly tho having 9 shots per round makes it by diffention a shotgun to be honest its just good to consider balancing when you segest a gun is all ^.^

The Gorgon  can apply Elemental effects (like stuns/freeze) more easily due to damage rounding normally (so you need at least 25% Elemental Damage to get any effects), actually has its rate of fire listed as lower than it actually is (the Gorgon's true RoF is 16.7, the 12.5 number is wrong and due to the framerate compensation)...

It's 540 dps vs 400.8, but the Gorgon is 50% more ammunition-efficient, has half the reload time, and gets full headshot damage. And of course, keep in mind that a rifle ammo pickup for the Gorgon gives you 480 damage, versus 360 damage, and the Gorgon is much more efficient against mook enemies.