Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Karak Syndicate Mod Idea

BrazilianJoe

This mod would infestate Karak and make it behave differently.

Infested Karak

Weapon would no longer use any of the 4 types of ammo, it would be a special 'infested ammo'. It would regenerate ammo spontaneously. The advantage is countered by the fact that depleting the magazine would take a long time to replenish. 

Ammo regen rate: 1/2/3/4 bullets/second. 

Magazine size: 90

Base status chance: 15%

This mod would infestate Karak and make it behave differently.

Infested Karak

Weapon would no longer use any of the 4 types of ammo, it would be a special 'infested ammo'. It would regenerate ammo spontaneously. The advantage is countered by the fact that depleting the magazine would take a long time to replenish. 

Ammo regen rate: 1/2/3/4 bullets/second. 

Magazine size: 90

Base status chance: 15%

So, we turn the Karak from an assault rifle to a squad assault weapon?

I think that would probably make it lose its flavour (I mean, the Karak is really as close as a stereotypical assault rifle as we can get in Warframe). 

Stereotypical assault rifle is toroughly out-of-place in Warframe. 

If you at least make it shaped like a baguette (just look at Grineer weapons), then you have a nice flavor. 

Infested weapons are nice and change the weapon's behaviour by definition. 

I don't get the difference you mean by assault weapon vs. squad assault weapon. 

And ammo regen, that's an original mechanic right there. ;)

Stereotypical assault rifle is toroughly out-of-place in Warframe. 

But it is a nice touch to use that on Earth, or on Corpus bases with a Hush mod to play like a Spec Ops. 

I don't get the difference you mean by assault weapon vs. squad assault weapon. 

Squad assault weapon are basically hybrids of assault weapons and light machine guns (with a slightly heavier emphasis on light machine guns). You just turned the Karak into more of a light machine gun (and we already have quite a bit of that). 

But it is a nice touch to use that on Earth, or on Corpus bases with a Hush mod to play like a Spec Ops. 

Squad assault weapon are basically hybrids of assault weapons and light machine guns (with a slightly heavier emphasis on light machine guns). You just turned the Karak into more of a light machine gun (and we already have quite a bit of that). 

Perhaps, but what you don't seem to be realising here is that those light machine guns are generally horrible with ammo and have identical mechanics. This mod solves both issues and doesn't even have to be permenantly equipped. You can switch between modes because it's a mod, a mod that's MEANT to change game mechanics

Perhaps, but what you don't seem to be realising here is that those light machine guns are generally horrible with ammo and have identical mechanics. This mod solves both issues and doesn't even have to be permenantly equipped. You can switch between modes because it's a mod, a mod that's MEANT to change game mechanics

I know, but really, why not have a separate weapon that does that?

I mean, the change is nice, but it is a bit too drastic for a Karak to change from quite a nice assault rifle to another light machine gun (at least in Warframe), really. While it is nice to have that extended clip size, but 90 really pushes it to Warframe LMG territory, with its rather high (albeit constant) fire rate. In fact, one could say that this mod makes it another Soma, but more on consistent damage than critical damage based (not to mention probably more powerful too, with the 'infinite' ammo). 

I would instead capitalise on its characteristics than changing it to a relatively new weapon. 

I know, but really, why not have a separate weapon that does that?

The whole point of Syndicate mods is to pick up an old weapon which is not end-game worthy, or has other weapons which totally eclipse it, and give it a unique boost, so it can play in the top league. 

I have my good old memories of the Karak back when I was Rank 3. I just left it to the side once I got hold of better weapons, but it is a trusty companion to beginner players. It has a smaller magazine than many other weapons which come after it rank-wise, and does not hit as hard. 

Once you have a high mastery rank and most weapons, dusting off the Karak and putting it to use with a unique mod would bring back good memories. 

The whole point of Syndicate mods is to pick up an old weapon which is not end-game worthy, or has other weapons which totally eclipse it, and give it a unique boost, so it can play in the top league. 

I have my good old memories of the Karak back when I was Rank 3. I just left it to the side once I got hold of better weapons, but it is a trusty companion to beginner players. It has a smaller magazine than many other weapons which come after it rank-wise, and does not hit as hard. 

Once you have a high mastery rank and most weapons, dusting off the Karak and putting it to use with a unique mod would bring back good memories. 

Actually, the Karak is end-game worthy. Just saying. 

But having to have a mod that changes the base of its mechanics/functions to make it unique? I am quite a bit worried about that. 

I prefer this: 

Karak modifications: 

Selective fire: Allows the Karak to swap between firemodes (Semi-auto, Burst, Full-auto), all with different stats attached to it. Higher mod cost than other Syndicate mods (by a bit), but probably makes the Karak even more versatile (or not, if we somehow screw up the numbers). 

Of course, this is just one random idea.

Edited by Renegade343

IMO Karak falls into the 'totally eclipsed by better weapons' category. It can be carried high level, but I consider it a little bit behind 'end-game' level; even if just because there are other weapons eclipsing it. 

Changing the Karak to burst/semi auto changes more of the  gun's base mechanics IMO. 

Ammo is more about resource/tactical management than direct action gameplay. My proposition does not fundamentally changes the shooting part; it only affects for how long the player can shoot, and how long he must wait to shoot again. 

Your proposition is about completely changing the stats for semi-auto/burst. it's much more invasive to the weapon core mechanics. 

I'd actually like to have a weapon with the capability you described, but I think it's too much to ask for a Syndicate mod. This kind of mechanic would better be introduced in a dedicated weapon. 

I wouldn't complain if DE made either of our choices a reality though. 

There's that ugly word "endgame" again. Warframe doesn't have "endgame", doesn't need it either.

Anyway, not digging the regenerative ammo on Karak alone. It's such a generic idea that it would be best as a mod for all rifles, not just one.

Something that would kinda bother me though is having an "Infested" weapon but having it use the same uninfested model

Edited by DarkTails

IMO Karak falls into the 'totally eclipsed by better weapons' category. It can be carried high level, but I consider it a little bit behind 'end-game' level; even if just because there are other weapons eclipsing it. 

Changing the Karak to burst/semi auto changes more of the  gun's base mechanics IMO. 

Ammo is more about resource/tactical management than direct action gameplay. My proposition does not fundamentally changes the shooting part; it only affects for how long the player can shoot, and how long he must wait to shoot again. 

Your proposition is about completely changing the stats for semi-auto/burst. it's much more invasive to the weapon core mechanics. 

I'd actually like to have a weapon with the capability you described, but I think it's too much to ask for a Syndicate mod. This kind of mechanic would better be introduced in a dedicated weapon. 

Thing is, the Karak is designed as an all-round assault rifle. So, why not capitalise on that and have it obtain selective fire to make it feel more like an assault rifle?

Thing is, the Karak is designed as an all-round assault rifle. So, why not capitalise on that and have it obtain selective fire to make it feel more like an assault rifle?

Well, we have only two buttons for fire and alt-fire. default alt-fire is to zoom+aim. If you use alt-fire to change firing modes, the weapon loses usability at medium longer ranges, you are just Ramboing the weapon. I just don't see it working as well, unless we have an extra button for weapon fire. Considering the console limited buttons, I don't see it happening without sacrificing the zoom+aim. 

Well, we have only two buttons for fire and alt-fire. default alt-fire is to zoom+aim. If you use alt-fire to change firing modes, the weapon loses usability at medium longer ranges, you are just Ramboing the weapon. I just don't see it working as well, unless we have an extra button for weapon fire. Considering the console limited buttons, I don't see it happening without sacrificing the zoom+aim. 

You can map separate keys for Alternate Fire and Zoom. 

I think they still have a button to spare, last time I looked at a controller playing Warframe. 

True but then it's a deeper change. Superficially it may seem simple. But that spare button might be being spered for another change in game mechanics planned by the devs, yet unnanounced.

And it's a proposition which goes above the mere implementation of a syndicate mod card, which makes the barrier for acceptance of the mod much higher. I'll stick to my own idea in this thread, but I think that your idea of a gun with 3 alternate firing modes is a good one too. I'd just rather see it introduced with a new weapon.