Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear Tenno: Cloning Lab And Scientific Research Station Tileset Ideas. Also New Objectives And Themes

Toko

Hello again as the latest livestream is about the art of Warframe it gave me a few new ideas for some interesting level tilesets.

I have few new ideas for levels and maybe a few new objectives related to them. They are pretty simple to explain so I will get straight to it.

830px-Cloning_Tanks.jpg

Above picture: What the Cloning Lab could look like but I would expect it to be more cleaner and whiter.

Cloning Lab Tileset

This tile set would revolve around the idea of having a ship or land level that you can visit that is either the main area where the Grineer cloning takes place or just one of its many facilities that cloning happens.

Level design Concept:

- White rooms and corridors.

- Advanced technology and machinery.

- Cloning tubes and/or pods.

- Early cloning models.

- Pods are destructible and may release more enemies.

- Flickering lights.

- AI controlled station or outpost.

- Weird and scary abominations.

- Possible new enemies.

- Envioremental hazards as suggested by AndryB94.

The tile set would feature bright rooms with the usual array of machinery, operating tables and of course cloning machinery. Cloning tubes or pods would feature predominantly on this level and could be related to new mission objectives. A Portal type or hospital clean and simple design comes to mind.

This level could be related to any current faction and not just the Grineer. Of course certain theme changes would need to be made but this level could work well with the Infestation faction and the Corpus.

Why?

- This level might give players more insight to the cloning process used by the Grineer.

- Offer more lore and story focused missions.

- I want to see a clean hospital style level imagined in Warframe and also dirty one.

- Could explain some causes for the Infestation.

- The contrast between clean and dirty is interesting.

New objectives:

- Destroy the ship or outpost.

- Kidnap a scientist to the Tenno cause.

- Destroy the cloning machinery and/or pods.

- Destroy the out of control AI machine mind.

- Elimate/Purge (Infestation) all life.

- Save a Tenno.

Scientific Research Station Tileset

Similar in thematic style to the cloning level but with a more emphasis on research. So expect to see more prisoners and more scientific experiments.

Level design Concept:

- Clean white rooms and corridors.

- Decontamination chambers and other safety precautions.

- Possible AI controlled station.

- A complete contrast if disaster was to take place with dirty walls etc.

- Scientific experiments.

- Prisoners.

- Possible new enemies.

- Envioremental hazards as suggested by AndryB94. Fragile research equipement and experiments which can cause area lockdowns if damaged. Accidental release of chemical coolant (like liquid nitrogen) which turns the area into ice-based map (halving shields) as suggested by smithf.

- Will likely have more science personel than the Cloning Lab levels would.

- See how the Infested got turned in the first place (possible chemical weapon). Maybe have it happen and viewable on the level as suggested by smithf.

Clean simple layout and design should be used. The research station should be mostly intact so it doesn’t look for abandoned. This will make the possibility of a station that has been taking over or overrun a bigger contrast to the player.

For example you are sent to the scientific research station to save a scientist but in the middle of the level the clean walls and corridor tiles are switch with dirty and bloody titles caused from scientific experiments that have escaped and caused havoc to the once quite peaceful surroundings.

In essence introducing the idea of more varied mission tilesets. Imagine a Infestation tilteset with a Grineer one. It would be a contrast.

Why?

- This level might give players more insight to the technology used by the Grineer and the Corpus factions.

- Offer more lore and story focused missions.

- I want to see a clean hospital style level imagined in Warframe and also a possible dirty one.

- Could explain some causes for the Infestation.

- The contrast between clean and dirty is interesting.

- I want to see more variety and unpredictability.

New objectives:

- Destroy the ship or outpost.

- Kidnap a scientist to the Tenno cause.

- Destroy machinery.

- Destroy the out of control AI machine mind.

- Elimate/Purge (Infestation) all life.

- Save a Tenno.

- Peaceful to chaos scenarios.

- Assualt objective (similar to current faction swaps) Probably would feature all factions at once: Tenno vs Infested, Grineer and the Corpus. (My expanded idea from AndryB94 orginal comment).

I haven't talked much about this but some sort of AI mind that goes out of control or doesn't is an interesting idea that could be explored.

Some inspiration from P.n.03 (big images):

2436630-archrivals.jpg

2436633-pn03.jpg

2436631-theinsider.jpg

Also read this thread for some more inspiration behind these levels: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/39033-dear-tenno-pn03-product-number-zero-three-and-warframe/.

Like always leave contructive feedback below and expect this thread to get updated with new things.

Updates (22/04/13):

- I have added a few new details to the thread from feedback.

- The two ideas are quite similar so more may have to be done to differentiate the two. I would prefer them to be seperate levels but with the ability to merge them for even more variety.

- Assualt type scenario where all factions attack and defend the Science base or Cloning Lab around the same time.

Updates (29/04/13):

- I have added new details to the thread from feedback and new envioremental hazards and ideas.

- Possible new level ideas suggested. I will look into expanding these ideas in this thread.

Updates (03/05/13):

- I have added three P.n.03 pictures to demonstrate the white look I am aiming for.

- I have also linked a thread which show some of my inspiration for this level.

Edited by Toko

Good job with the ideas. You really worked it out in detail and I appreciate it. The ideas are great, and I've got nothing to add to them. Wouldn't the two tilesets, however, be quite similar to eachother? What would the main differences (Except for the research/cloning things) be?
Also, a tip: Consider having environmental hazards.

For example, you may have reinforced window-types, and when you break them a cloud of toxic gases may get in and damage you until you put it on lockdown.
You could have cages or prisons with other factions or even Infested that, if broken or opened, could release them.
You could have an "assault" - at the start or during a mission, another faction (including Infested) attacks the outpost. This will result in more enemies, but the enemies will also be fighting eachother!

Good job with the ideas. You really worked it out in detail and I appreciate it. The ideas are great, and I've got nothing to add to them. Wouldn't the two tilesets, however, be quite similar to eachother? What would the main differences (Except for the research/cloning things) be?

Also, a tip: Consider having environmental hazards.

For example, you may have reinforced window-types, and when you break them a cloud of toxic gases may get in and damage you until you put it on lockdown.

You could have cages or prisons with other factions or even Infested that, if broken or opened, could release them.

You could have an "assault" - at the start or during a mission, another faction (including Infested) attacks the outpost. This will result in more enemies, but the enemies will also be fighting eachother!

Thanks for replying. Yeah they are kind of similiar in theme but they would be different. The Cloning Lab level will have cloning pods while the Scientific Research Station would have research and experiments areas. Maybe I didn't contrast the two too well.

I like your ideas for hazards and also the assault idea. I will probably add them to the thread in some form.

Me too (+1), it's a very good concept !

Thanks for the kind words.

The two seem very similar in your breakdowns, so maybe consolidate it into one. But other than the redundancy thing, very well thought out. Would love to see it.

Yeah maybe I should. I am probably going to need to change them both a bit. However they could be merged and seperate at the same time.

Edited by Toko

Why does it always have to be indoor and grey? How about a little bit more illuminated areas/other colors?

What about outdoor enviroment like desert, grass, volcanic, dry lake ect?

If you actually read the thread you would realise that it isn't grey and would be bright.

would be very interesting!

Can even have something like infested Ancient being experimented on (and perhaps unintentionally released with other infested in a "bio-contamination accident"). Maybe even have something like a T-Virus which converts Grineers or Corpus crewmen into infested in front of players' eyes. (maybe an experiment-in-progress viewable outside a see-through chamber?)

Another possible hazard: accidental release of chemical coolant (like liquid nitrogen) which turns the area into ice-based map (halving shields)

Another possible addon: genesis labs, where artificially constructed pseudo ecosystem contains native livings used for observations or experiments. Imagine what a reconstructed dinosaur + whatever virus the infested have can yield... and hidden in a densely vegetated environment which is totally new in Warframe)

Edited by smithf

Wow! You guys have definitely present some cool ideas here. +1 for the great image to set the mood.

The idea of cloning pods releasing enemies reminds me of the Corpus walker spawn closets, those things always catch me offguard :) 

There is never a shortage of awesome ideas in the forums here, you guys are amazing :)

DE need to drop by and read some of this.

Its good ideas (+1)

Thank you.

Maybe even have something like a T-Virus which converts Grineers or Corpus crewmen into infested in front of players' eyes. (maybe an experiment-in-progress viewable outside a see-through chamber?)

Another possible hazard: accidental release of chemical coolant (like liquid nitrogen) which turns the area into ice-based map (halving shields)

Another possible addon: genesis labs, where artificially constructed pseudo ecosystem contains native livings used for observations or experiments. Imagine what a reconstructed dinosaur + whatever virus the infested have can yield... and hidden in a densely vegetated environment which is totally new in Warframe)

I will look into adding these suggestions. Thanks.

Wow! You guys have definitely present some cool ideas here. +1 for the great image to set the mood.

The idea of cloning pods releasing enemies reminds me of the Corpus walker spawn closets, those things always catch me offguard :) 

There is never a shortage of awesome ideas in the forums here, you guys are amazing :)

Thanks for checking the idea out. The clone pods could work mechanically like the Corpus spawners which is a good idea. Thanks again for the kind words.

Edited by Toko

The cloning labs seem like they lend themselves to a very linear corridor shooter kind of thing, which is not at all wrong for Warframe -- it speeds the pace along. I feel they should be a land-based tileset, labs "feel" right being on the ground. A less wintery Corpus Outpost (perhaps with skywalks and courtyards specifically designed for a "calming" look, by Grineer standards) with less caves and more windows and indoor-outdoor interplay is what I see here. This would make for an interesting interplay between hectic action and relatively serene, "soft" environments (to contrast with the harsh flourescents-and-steel ships and asteroids). I don't feel the Grineer expect the Tenno to pop in here and be all "oh hi, let me just blow you all the hell up", so the "defensive" look should be reduced. Crates replaced with furniture, ceramic tile walls, etc. This is not a place on the forefront of the battlegrounds, this is somewhere the Grineer thought was mostly safe. Because of the nature of experiments and etc, I'd assume any sort of defensive parts would be to prevent things getting OUT rather than an invader getting IN -- so the Grineer reinforcements should be at a disadvantage when responding to the Tenno, most countermeasures being either useless or a hindrance rather than a help, etc. I see most of the normal (non-horrifying) Grineer enemies being the equivalent of police and orderlies mixed together, which means likely slightly lighter armor and slightly less military weaponry. (The Shield Lancer, for example, is a good start -- I also see "light troopers", flameblades and other riot-related enemies, with slightly rarer military ones mixed in.)

The science research labs I see being a nightmare labyrinth of corridors and catwalks. Anyone who's been to MIT knows how fitting that is for anywhere scientists appear. I see a lot of open vats, vivisection tables, long twisting corridors studded with doorways that rarely open (or which, when they do, you wish they hadn't) and an emphasis on the CLINICALITY, the clean pristine flat blank surfaces. I imagine this would be a lot more heavily fortified, if for no other reason than to dissuade Corpus attacks. I imagine a lot of computers, small antechambers with windowed doors, that kind of deal. I also imagine this would be land based, but more underground focused than the Corpus or Cloning Lab tilesets. I imagine most of your enemies would be "cannonfodder", "meatshields" and "spotters" (in the form of orderlies and researchers, lightly armed/armored but extremely numerous), backed up by tough troops and, of course, the hideous lovecraftian terrors that explode through doors and eat the faces off of four guys at random.

I imagine both tilesets having an emphasis on destructibility. They were NOT meant to handle this kind of thing, and the results speak for themselves. They're overwhelmed and underprepared for an attack from both sides (internal horrors getting out, tenno getting in) and the places will crumble AS YOU GO THROUGH THEM, BECAUSE YOU ARE CRUMBLING THEM, not before you get there at all. Instead of doors opening, some might need to be broken down (this especially goes for things like locked experimentation rooms) and thin walls between rooms might have holes knocked in them with a sturdy swing of your preferred melee weapon. Of course, the escaping fleshbeasts will be able to use this to their advantage too.

The cloning labs seem like they lend themselves to a very linear corridor shooter kind of thing, which is not at all wrong for Warframe -- it speeds the pace along. I feel they should be a land-based tileset, labs "feel" right being on the ground. A less wintery Corpus Outpost (perhaps with skywalks and courtyards specifically designed for a "calming" look, by Grineer standards) with less caves and more windows and indoor-outdoor interplay is what I see here. This would make for an interesting interplay between hectic action and relatively serene, "soft" environments (to contrast with the harsh flourescents-and-steel ships and asteroids). I don't feel the Grineer expect the Tenno to pop in here and be all "oh hi, let me just blow you all the hell up", so the "defensive" look should be reduced. Crates replaced with furniture, ceramic tile walls, etc. This is not a place on the forefront of the battlegrounds, this is somewhere the Grineer thought was mostly safe. Because of the nature of experiments and etc, I'd assume any sort of defensive parts would be to prevent things getting OUT rather than an invader getting IN -- so the Grineer reinforcements should be at a disadvantage when responding to the Tenno, most countermeasures being either useless or a hindrance rather than a help, etc. I see most of the normal (non-horrifying) Grineer enemies being the equivalent of police and orderlies mixed together, which means likely slightly lighter armor and slightly less military weaponry. (The Shield Lancer, for example, is a good start -- I also see "light troopers", flameblades and other riot-related enemies, with slightly rarer military ones mixed in.)

The science research labs I see being a nightmare labyrinth of corridors and catwalks. Anyone who's been to MIT knows how fitting that is for anywhere scientists appear. I see a lot of open vats, vivisection tables, long twisting corridors studded with doorways that rarely open (or which, when they do, you wish they hadn't) and an emphasis on the CLINICALITY, the clean pristine flat blank surfaces. I imagine this would be a lot more heavily fortified, if for no other reason than to dissuade Corpus attacks. I imagine a lot of computers, small antechambers with windowed doors, that kind of deal. I also imagine this would be land based, but more underground focused than the Corpus or Cloning Lab tilesets. I imagine most of your enemies would be "cannonfodder", "meatshields" and "spotters" (in the form of orderlies and researchers, lightly armed/armored but extremely numerous), backed up by tough troops and, of course, the hideous lovecraftian terrors that explode through doors and eat the faces off of four guys at random.

I imagine both tilesets having an emphasis on destructibility. They were NOT meant to handle this kind of thing, and the results speak for themselves. They're overwhelmed and underprepared for an attack from both sides (internal horrors getting out, tenno getting in) and the places will crumble AS YOU GO THROUGH THEM, BECAUSE YOU ARE CRUMBLING THEM, not before you get there at all. Instead of doors opening, some might need to be broken down (this especially goes for things like locked experimentation rooms) and thin walls between rooms might have holes knocked in them with a sturdy swing of your preferred melee weapon. Of course, the escaping fleshbeasts will be able to use this to their advantage too.

Well explained and basically the vision I have for these types of levels. I should probably flesh out my idea a bit sometime. Good job.

Oh. While I have it in mind -- in order for DE to use this idea, when you feel it's developed fully enough you need to send it to them in full and include a statement that you give them any and all rights to your idea. Otherwise, legal trouble can happen and they'll avoid using it -- or even being inspired by it, in the worst case scenario. Depending on the relevant laws you may be required to send them an actual signed contract so that the transferral of rights is legally binding.

Oh. While I have it in mind -- in order for DE to use this idea, when you feel it's developed fully enough you need to send it to them in full and include a statement that you give them any and all rights to your idea. Otherwise, legal trouble can happen and they'll avoid using it -- or even being inspired by it, in the worst case scenario. Depending on the relevant laws you may be required to send them an actual signed contract so that the transferral of rights is legally binding.

I don't think so...just read the terms for using the forums...

Edited by xxx7

Ok thanks for the advice.

Sounds great. Just make sure there are options for stealth in these and I'll be a happy camper.

Yeah I would want it to be playable in stealth and other methods.

Edited by Toko