Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Skin Suggestion] Gram's Transparent Brother: Ether Greatsword

Shion963

As it is, the Gram is a greatsword with a medium normal attack speed and charge speed, with lower normal slash damage (40), and same charge damage (200) compared to Fragor and Scindo. But despite its faster normal slash, most would primarily use its Charge attack as it has longer reach compared to other 2H weapons, and totally ignore normal slashes. But here's where the Ether Greatsword skin comes to play.

"A crystalline variation of the GRAM with a lighter blade that allows the wielder to swing faster, but leaves a shallower cut"

The Ether Greatsword skin takes the looks of a standard Ether longsword, a partly transparent dual-edged blade with a metallic spine, and a long grip with no ricasso that would fit the Gram's half-sword ricasso grip. Stats-wise it boosts normal slash speed from 1.3 to 1.5 (or 1.8?), and reduces Charge damage by 50, while also bestowing it the high-stun chance present in all Ether weaponry.

I love the Gram with all my might, but honestly I'm very envious of the attention given on its two other siblings. They get two fancy clothes each, and poor ol' Gram has only his birthday suit to wear ): FromSoft fans would understand why I chose the Ether's look instead of an all-powerful godly Dark Greatsword. I'm a big fan of the Moonlight Greatsword, although I'm never Intelligent enough to use it. :p

Thanks for reading, any comments and constructive criticism is welcome! \o/

P.S.: I'm sorry if my writing style isn't the most clearest or coherent thing, I hope I got my idea across well.

HELL YES.........

Remindes me of moonlight greatsword from Dark Souls...

Exactly! I love that sword, althoug I've never had the chance to even get it. Curse that squiggly Seath...

Ether Weapons are supposed to cut cleanly...

Fair point, but way I see it a 2h weapon's Charge attack has a slower, stronger swing compared to normal attack swings, and the reduced weight would cut some kinetic energy down from the swing.

IIRC the Gram doesn't cleave as often as it did before anyways, which would make the less-powerful, shallower cut from a charge fit in with it's non-cleaving behaviour. I've been levelling other weapons a lot lately, couldn't play with my beloved Gram as much.

I like this idea - but wouldn't an attack speed / stun boost alone still leave it badly lacking compared to a Brokk hammer? Less damage, no armor piercing. Even a skinless Fragor might be better if it weren't for the screen shake.

I like this idea - but wouldn't an attack speed / stun boost alone still leave it badly lacking compared to a Brokk hammer? Less damage, no armor piercing. Even a skinless Fragor might be better if it weren't for the screen shake.

Honestly I don't know how fast a Gram swings when compared to the Brokk's swing speed. :/

I guess when compared, the Ether Greatsword would depend more on faster, less damaging hits that stun a lot of enemies in the radius rather than slower strong hits.

Exactly! I love that sword, althoug I've never had the chance to even get it. Curse that squiggly Seath...

Fair point, but way I see it a 2h weapon's Charge attack has a slower, stronger swing compared to normal attack swings, and the reduced weight would cut some kinetic energy down from the swing.

IIRC the Gram doesn't cleave as often as it did before anyways, which would make the less-powerful, shallower cut from a charge fit in with it's non-cleaving behaviour. I've been levelling other weapons a lot lately, couldn't play with my beloved Gram as much.

It should at least get a bit more power...make it faster and do more damage than the Brokk.

If we are going to nerf the charge damage then it must have something to make the losing of charge damage viable.

I was hoping we would get an Ether Great Sword.

I just tried a plain Gram with 50% swing speed. And by god I love it. Still not maxed out Fury, though.

60% swing speed, I need to find another Fury and make this happen ASAP.

It should at least get a bit more power...make it faster and do more damage than the Brokk.

If we are going to nerf the charge damage then it must have something to make the losing of charge damage viable.

I was hoping we would get an Ether Great Sword.

I still think that the speed and stun would well make up for the reduced Charge damage, since I'd build it more towards normal attacks and entirely forego charge speed/strength mods.

That said, a small increase to normal damage could balance the steep charge damage reduction, alongside the added swing speed and stun.

I just tried a plain Gram with 50% swing speed. And by god I love it. Still not maxed out Fury, though.

60% swing speed, I need to find another Fury and make this happen ASAP.

I still think that the speed and stun would well make up for the reduced Charge damage, since I'd build it more towards normal attacks and entirely forego charge speed/strength mods.

That said, a small increase to normal damage could balance the steep charge damage reduction, alongside the added swing speed and stun.

In order to make it truly viable...Pressure Point needs a buff.

I know I speak for others when I say that mod really needs to be buffed...so far...Charge Weapons are the only good weapons to use against bosses and such.

I like the idea but for the life of my I am wondering what the Gram has that the Scindo doesn't beat it in. Frigor just... sends things flying. Scindo beats Gram out for dps for overall hits. I just got my Gram and my friends unmodded Scindo pound for pound beats Gram.

I really would love a translucent Gram though. That or make it more like a plasma-cutter Greatsword. Perhaps dealing extra damage to electrified enemies?

and reduces Charge damage by 50, 

No. No, no, no, no, no. If anything, the swing speed should be slightly lower (due to it being lighter) and the normal attack damage lowered due to it being armour piercing + stun. 

I like the idea but for the life of my I am wondering what the Gram has that the Scindo doesn't beat it in. Frigor just... sends things flying. Scindo beats Gram out for dps for overall hits. I just got my Gram and my friends unmodded Scindo pound for pound beats Gram.

I really would love a translucent Gram though. That or make it more like a plasma-cutter Greatsword. Perhaps dealing extra damage to electrified enemies?

That's the thing, the other two 2H weapons are flat out BETTER, instead of simply different playstyles. Sure the Gram is a bit faster when compared to the Scindo, but people will generally choose the Blunt, armor-ignoring Fragor, or the stronger Scindo.

My standing is that if Gram can't beat it with damage per hit, beat it with EXTREME speed.

No. No, no, no, no, no. If anything, the swing speed should be slightly lower (due to it being lighter) and the normal attack damage lowered due to it being armour piercing + stun. 

I never planned it being armor-piercing, though. It's still Slashing type, not Blunt or Piercing.

IMHO something lighter would be easier to swing faster, but hits lighter compared to heavier objects that are swung slower, but hits harder.

Edited by Shion963

That's the thing, the other two 2H weapons are flat out BETTER, instead of simply different playstyles. Sure the Gram is a bit faster when compared to the Scindo, but people will generally choose the Blunt, armor-ignoring Fragor, or the stronger Scindo.

My standing is that if Gram can't beat it with damage per hit, beat it with EXTREME speed.

I never planned it being armor-piercing, though. It's still Slashing type, not Blunt or Piercing.

IMHO something lighter would be easier to swing faster, but hits lighter compared to heavier objects that are swung slower, but hits harder.

Ether weapons are armour peircing though.

Ether weapons are armour peircing though.

The Dual Ether are, Ether Daggers aren't. It doesn't seem like there's a definite answer unlike the stun, which both Ether weapons do. I'll stay with non-piercing on the virtue of it being a Slashing type weapon. .

If either the Dual Ether's piercing gets removed or Ether Daggers changed to Piercing I'll alter the concept to suit that.

The Dual Ether are, Ether Daggers aren't. It doesn't seem like there's a definite answer unlike the stun, which both Ether weapons do. I'll stay with non-piercing on the virtue of it being a Slashing type weapon. .

If either the Dual Ether's piercing gets removed or Ether Daggers changed to Piercing I'll alter the concept to suit that.

I'm hoping that the armour piercing will be removed so nothing else gets nerfed. Im also not the best fan of the stun, which will add bonus nerfing. Overall, great concept, but with nerfs this might aswell be a new weapon

I'm hoping that the armour piercing will be removed so nothing else gets nerfed. Im also not the best fan of the stun, which will add bonus nerfing. Overall, great concept, but with nerfs this might aswell be a new weapon

Except you are forgetting that if the Ether swords had no armor pierce they would basically turn into a dual Skana skin and that they do not need a nerf in the first place. Auto-attack melee weapons need a buff to come on par with charge weapons, what nerfs are you talking about? 

Honestly I feel that increasing its normal slash speed while reducing its normal slash damage would be "plus one minus one". Sure it gets stun/stagger, but people would just use the charge attack anyways, making it a moot attempt at trying to fit folks who likes using normal attacks with the Gram :/

And conversely, a future skin could be a massive chunk of futuristic space metal with reeeeeeaaaallllly slow swingspeed, but have a devastative crushing charge attack. Imagine a Manticore-esque lump of metal with serrated teeth edges, thick metal pipes running all across the middle.

Edited by Shion963

• 2 months later...

Gram is good for what I call "Gram-Slamming" since it has Knockback on every swing. Max Fury mod and it will stagger whole groups. Good for semi-tanky frames or even squishy frames to keep enemies at bay. I still have no idea what melee to use on Nova though... Orthos on Ember though is fun or on Sayrin though tbh I don't enjoy playing Sayrin.