Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snipers

Wolfssenger

I was discussing this with a friend recently and he pitched the idea of a mod or something that caused explosions on headshot kills that scale with weapon damage. Opinion?

Adding a whole bunch of sniper-specific mods would be a good way of buffing them and setting them apart from bows. A +100% magazine size mod would be OP on rifles, but OK on sniper rifles. As has been suggested, a non-Vulkar specific "dead aim" mod would be good. Perhaps a mod that gives an increasing damage bonus for not missing i.e. applies a +10% bonus for each consecutive hit, maxing out at ~30% (bonus applied to entire damage, not just base). We're getting weapon specific mods like sticky grenades, so stuff like x-ray scopes and laser sights should be fair game for snipers, too.

Adding a whole bunch of sniper-specific mods would be a good way of buffing them and setting them apart from bows. A +100% magazine size mod would be OP on rifles, but OK on sniper rifles. As has been suggested, a non-Vulkar specific "dead aim" mod would be good. Perhaps a mod that gives an increasing damage bonus for not missing i.e. applies a +10% bonus for each consecutive hit, maxing out at ~30% (bonus applied to entire damage, not just base). We're getting weapon specific mods like sticky grenades, so stuff like x-ray scopes and laser sights should be fair game for snipers, too.

Not to rain on your idea but this seems slightly akin to the typical "band-aid" solutions DE gives. If they were strong enough i suppose i wouldnt mind, but I'd strongly prefer a direct buff.

I haven't used snipers except the Vulkar once when i was looking for more MR. Do any or all have base penetration? Like wall penetration. I think they all should have at least something like 0.4m. A passive bonus of increased headshot damage would be good. I feel like the Latron kinda gives us a sniper rifle that's meant for the close quarters combat. Sniper rifles should have projectiles that move incredibly fast. They should be right around bows, slower fire but higher damage or faster fire for slightly lower damage. Why should bows get full penetration compared to snipers (if they don't)?

I haven't used snipers except the Vulkar once when i was looking for more MR. Do any or all have base penetration? Like wall penetration. I think they all should have at least something like 0.4m. A passive bonus of increased headshot damage would be good. I feel like the Latron kinda gives us a sniper rifle that's meant for the close quarters combat. Sniper rifles should have projectiles that move incredibly fast. They should be right around bows, slower fire but higher damage or faster fire for slightly lower damage. Why should bows get full penetration compared to snipers (if they don't)?

The lanka has 5m pen at cost of a charge akin to the bows. Otherwise none.

Was there something said about sniper scopes in the devstreams? My memory is a little foggy but it feels like they were working on it.

Scopes and hitscan seem the main feature of sniper rifles, so I'll agree with the weakpoint buffs, though perhaps they do need utility, since trying to balance a damage buff could be precarious.

I've seen it suggested somewhere for a one-pulse codex-scanner style x-ray upon scoping, internal cooldowns and whatnot for the xray, but why not augment weakpoint shots?  Snipers don't fire fast enough for location-based damage to chew computer processing power, so maybe different stuff should happen depending on where we hit them whilst scoped with a sniper?

Merged topics.

Yes, but bumping is unethical, and reposting the same topic is also unethical, so after several days of it not receiving and replies, i created a topic stating the problem, and linked my argument should anyone see how I validated my claim. Unless that'swhat unethical as well in which case ill just drop it and sob softly in a dark room, but I'd like to avoid that.

All Sniper should have

1. Built in punch through of at least 10m.

2. Enemies would explode on headshots causing nearby enemies to catch fire or die.

3. Buff damage

4. x100% damage multiplier on headshots

5. headshot streaks making you attain unlimited damage( 5% damage increase on each shot) if u are able to continue headshots without a miss. It will retain its streak even if u change ur weapon and then change back to sniper. 

Special mods should be introduced i.e armor piercing rounds, explosive rounds, splinter rounds(when shot upon impact will splinter up into multiple pellets and cause  small AOE

The problem with snipers in this game is that the gameplay is all about fluid movement. You're not supposed to sit at a perch and shoot at enemies far away (well, except for farming Infested defense I guess).  So sniping in the definition of sitting somewhere far and taking out enemies is out. Instead, sniping should be about "taking out high value targets". But regular weapons already do this, by pumping high value targets with bullets or lasers. Then sniper weapons are just slower versions of this. So how to make sniper rifles more effective but at the same time making it different than the other weapons?

By making sniping into a mini game.

Now, imagine you're carrying a sniper rifle (or maybe even later, a sniper pistol type). You're fighting a mob of enemies with your pistol or sword. Then you see a dangerous enemy appeared. You jumped out, pulled your sniper rifle, sees the dangerous foe, pops a shot and kills it with one shot. Then back to dealing with the mob.

That is a scenario that could fit into the fluid movement of the game. But snipers are not that powerful. Or even with a buff, they're not guaranteed to kill a powerful foe with one shot when you could just aim it with your Soma/Boltor Primes and press the trigger and the same amount of time you could kill it, all the while the Soma/Boltor could also be used to kill the random mooks faster. So, the goal here is to design the sniping game to be able to one shot high value targets but doesn't exist on other weapons, aka. it should not be a simple damage buff.

So, the sniping mini game: You popped on the sniper rifle. You zoomed using the scope on the dangerous enemy. In your scope, instead of just a zoomed in view, you also see the weak point of the target. The weak point is randomized, much like Banshee's Sonar, except slightly smaller size. You hit this weak point, BOOM! One hit kill.  Or, if you want it to be a more detailed game, the target would shine with "heat spots" with red at the center, orange circle around the center and yellow area covering the orange region. Hitting red gives a 100% proc of full health damage, orange would give 75% and yellow 50%. So, if you're a not so good shot, 2 hits would kill the target. Not all enemies would have this, of course, especially bosses. Some enemies can stay as a threat that just needs a lot of bullets to take down.

With this feature, sniper rifles can be a rewarding weapon to those with good aim and ability to pick off valuable targets while not making it simply a Latron Prime with better zoom but worse fire rate.

P.S. Another feature that sniper rifles should also have: wall hack. If you used the scope, it should highlight the enemies, much like your Scanner. Sniper rifles should also have innate punch-through so you could hit enemies hiding behind walls or objects.

P.S.S. Also another feature sniper rifles can have is a counter to Nullifier bubbles. Make sniper weapons have bonus damage against Nullifier bubbles, like 1-2 shots should pop the bubble.

All Sniper should have

2. Enemies would explode on headshots causing nearby enemies to catch fire or die.

3. Buff damage

5. headshot streaks making you attain unlimited damage( 5% damage increase on each shot) if u are able to continue headshots without a miss. It will retain its streak even if u change ur weapon and then change back to sniper.

Special mods should be introduced i.e armor piercing rounds, explosive rounds, splinter rounds(when shot upon impact will splinter up into multiple pellets and cause small AOE

Perhaps not all of those, but a combination of some would be great.

Another problem with snipers: they have a ridiculously difficult time fighting those damned Nullifiers. 

No matter how powerful your single shot, the way their shields function right now prevent them from breaking in a single hit. Full-auto weapons simply outshine snipers against this high-priority target. 

This is more an issue with enemy design rather than snipers themselves, but it's one that severely limits their effectiveness nonetheless. I really cut down on my usage of slow, heavy-hitting weapons in the void once Nullifiers were introduced.

All Sniper should have

3. Buff damage

Special mods should be introduced i.e armor piercing rounds, explosive rounds, splinter rounds(when shot upon impact will splinter up into multiple pellets and cause  small AOE

1. Make it 3m for all snipers but lanka so it can still be unique.

2. Just no. Sniper rifles aren't known to do this. if you want a gun that makes enemies explode ask for a railgun.

3. this would help quite a bit.

4. This is a good one as well as headshots allow you to make the most of your rather reduced sniper clip.

5. Pretty good idea but lets make it where you only keep the boost as long as your sniper is equipped. keeping such a boost if we switch to another weapons seems a bit op to me. 

1. Make it 3m for all snipers but lanka so it can still be unique.

2. Just no. Sniper rifles aren't known to do this. if you want a gun that makes enemies explode ask for a railgun.

3. this would help quite a bit.

4. This is a good one as well as headshots allow you to make the most of your rather reduced sniper clip.

5. Pretty good idea but lets make it where you only keep the boost as long as your sniper is equipped. keeping such a boost if we switch to another weapons seems a bit op to me.

Realism really isn't a factor here or in game

I beg to disagree.

I've found multiple locations in which my snipertron vandal shines. Namely any mission with an object that needs to be defended.

There are a few places such as a few grineer defenses and corpus ice planets, but generally speaking it doesn't tailor to snipers

There are a few places such as a few grineer defenses and corpus ice planets, but generally speaking it doesn't tailor to snipers

Eh, doesn't stop fools from lining up in my punch-through distance and getting gutted.

There are more places than you think where snipers are good. Phobos, Grineer shipyards, void rooms, frozen planet (the first one), etc.

Generally there's no difference between snipers and single shot rifles, except the bigger zoom.

Eh, doesn't stop fools from lining up in my punch-through distance and getting gutted.

There are more places than you think where snipers are good. Phobos, Grineer shipyards, void rooms, frozen planet (the first one), etc.

Generally there's no difference between snipers and single shot rifles, except the bigger zoom.

And slower fire rate, generally lower clip size, higher crit chance and lower dps. There are quite a few differences to be honest.

If you are using sniper to kill trash mobs(AKA Corrupted Butchers) you are wasting your shots let the full auto rifles do this job and save the ammo of your allies by picking the high priority targets(Bombards,Gunners and Ancients).

A Vectis/Lanka modded for status with Radiation to Break Healers aura are much more usefull than raw dps IMO. Vulkar I think is bad and need some love by DE.

snipers on general need something more but explosives headshots and 10m punch trough, hell no please.

If you are using sniper to kill trash mobs(AKA Corrupted Butchers) you are wasting your shots let the full auto rifles do this job and save the ammo of your allies by picking the high priority targets(Bombards,Gunners and Ancients).

A Vectis/Lanka modded for status with Radiation to Break Healers aura are much more usefull than raw dps IMO. Vulkar I think is bad and need some love by DE.

snipers on general need something more but explosives headshots and 10m punch trough, hell no please.

If they could simply perform the same job as the bows, perhaps in a different manner, that would be enough, hence my suggestion about the buffed up body multipliers.

My preferred buff to Snipers would involve a pass on all snipers buffing their damage, and addin an innate ricochet-on-headshot damage. 

THe ricocheted bullet would have less damage on each ricochet and would use mechanics similar to the Atomos beam. 

Would only happen on headshots to reward skill. 

Mods would increase number of ricochets or distance traveled, and reduce damage penalty per ricochet. 

A ricochet mechanic could be quite glorious, but it seems more like something specific to a whole new weapon rather than a weapon revolving around power and range.

Would be fun though, have like an aim mode that paints a line that bounces to show you where you're going to hit, then just pull the trigger when the line goes where you want it.

But I agree snipers feel more about rewarding skill; if we get limited shots and a device that lets us place said shots in very specific places, there should be something that happens when we take full advantage of it.