Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finish Him! (Finishers 2.0?)

ENIAK_Prime

In my ongoing fight to enhance Melee combat to be more fun than ever before (see: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/501971-improving-cqc-ver-20/), I now present to you my complex idea for expanding on the idea of Finisher Attacks.

TL;DR version? MORE finishers! More variety in finishers! More chances to USE finishers! MORE MORE MORE!

NOT TL;DR version? BUCKLE UP, FRIENDS!

0. FINISHERS ACTIVATED WITH "INTERACT"  INSTEAD OF MELEE KEY (OPTIONAL).

This would be a welcome change for stealth players, especially anyone playing Loki and using Invis to hack and slash their way across the room.

Make an option that allows players to tell their game whether they want to activate Finishers using Melee Key or Interact Key.

1. MORE FINISHER VARIETY!
The first thing I want to get out here on the table is suggesting that we have more Finisher Variety. I've mentioned before how lame it is that the Scythe is still basically using Machete Frontals and GreatSword everything-else (see: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/480799-so-when-are-scythes-getting-scythe-related-finishers/), but it's not just scythes. Hands/Feet melees share all the same finishers as Fist melees. DE missed a fantastic opportunity to give Hands/Feet some great finishers involving the feet! Like, maybe the Sneak Attack starts out like dualswords, jumping up on the enemy's shoulders and grabbing with the legs, and then you snap the neck? And a frontal finisher could be a forward flip, grab the head with the legs, backward flip and slam on the ground? Let's put more acrobatics in the acrobatic weapon type!

2. MORE FINISHER RANGE!
Here's an idea to make it even easier to score finishers. Instead of having to walk all the way up to the target, you just have to get within two yards or so and you can activate the finisher prompt! Activating the finisher from a farther distance causes the player to automatically rush up to the target and perform the finisher without interruption. Include mods that increase the range of finisher activation!

3. AERIAL FINISHERS!
Here's ANOTHER idea! You can engage Finishers from mid-air, which will result in flashy, new Aerial finishers! Even MORE Acrobatics for those Acrobatic weapons, eh!? Imagine performing a wall latch and then activating the finisher prompt on an unwary Lancer just trundling along below! Even MORE Batman styling for you comic nerds!

4. MORE FINISHING-OPENERS!
Here's an idea I have, called the STUNNING BLOW.

The Stunning Blow is a move you can perform at any time in the middle of a melee combo (requires melee to be in full-equip mode), by using the "Interact" key.

The Stunning Blow would be a light-damaging hit that causes the target to stumble, leaving them open to a finisher prompt.

Of course, it would be unwise to allow Tenno to spam Stunning Blows as much as they like, so I suggest having "Stun Counters", which are built up by the COMBO GAUGE.

Every time you fill the combo gauge, which earns you a damage boost, you ALSO earn a Stun Counter, which can then be spent whenever desired. Unlike the combo damage boost, Stun Counters do not have a time limit and remain until spent. However, there is a limit to how many Stun Counters can be obtained (up to DE to decide what that limit is).

5. DISTRACTED ENEMY FINISHERS!
Playing in a squad? More finishers for you! Why have Sneak Attacks only available on enemies who are at-rest? How about if enemies can be sneak-attacked as long as their focus isn't on you! If a Lancer is trying to gun-down my buddy and I run up right behind him, who says he's not "unaware" of my presence? Sounds like a neat opportunity for a sneak-attack right in the heat of battle, if you ask me!

6. INVINCIBILITY ON DOWN FINISHERS!
Is it too much to ask? We're invincible while performing Back finishers and Front finishers. Why not down-finishers? You remember the whole reason you made finishers invincible, right? To protect the player while they're stuck in an inescapable animation! Don't you want us safe while we're doing all our finishers!?

7. MULTI-FINISHERS!?

Imagine, if you will, you're playing Excalibur, and you discharge a Radial Blind! You now have 3 or 4 Joe Schmoes around you blind and ready to be FINISH HIM'D! So what if performing a finisher within range of other finisher-available targets prompts a fantastic new MULTI-FINISHER!? A finisher animation where you take out several targets in one, prolonged finisher animation! Perhaps there'd be a limit to how many targets you could "finisher" at once.

8. BOSS FINISHERS!?
Of course, I'm not suggesting we be allowed to one-shot bosses, but it might be neat to include some form of quick-time event that players can take advantage of to gain an edge over bosses with some hefty damage. The finishers for bosses don't need to be unique per weapon type (they would, instead, perhaps be specific to the boss themselves, like leaping onto Lech Kril's back and yanking out one of his cords violently).

Edited by Soldatto

Let's take EVERY Finisher from SKYRIM and implant them into Warframe!!! \\\٩(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و////

Or you know whatevs no big deal its not like i wanted copyright problems anyway i'll just...idk kick dirt around ┐(︶▽︶)┌

Edited by Barrett_Linwei8

Seems like a pretty good idea! Finishers are fun to do afterall and this makes them even more fun. Have you thought of archwing finishers or the finishers for each type of weapon? Could give players more ideas of what'cha talking about. Still waiting to climb up on Lephantis and shoot him in the face or chop his head off (let's not go too extreme with trying to snap his neck, probably not even a rhino could).

Seems like a pretty good idea! Finishers are fun to do afterall and this makes them even more fun. Have you thought of archwing finishers or the finishers for each type of weapon? Could give players more ideas of what'cha talking about. Still waiting to climb up on Lephantis and shoot him in the face or chop his head off (let's not go too extreme with trying to snap his neck, probably not even a rhino could).

I'm not sure about Archwing finishers, but indeed I have thought of finishers for (some) of the other weapon types. They're only humble suggestions, though, and I figure DE knows how to make a good finisher animation if they really want to. I figure I can just ask them to TRY and they can take it from there. lol

In my ongoing fight to enhance Melee combat to be more fun than ever before (see: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/501971-improving-cqc-ver-20/), I now present to you my complex idea for expanding on the idea of Finisher Attacks.

TL;DR version? MORE finishers! More variety in finishers! More chances to USE finishers! MORE MORE MORE!

NOT TL;DR version? BUCKLE UP, FRIENDS!

1. MORE FINISHER VARIETY!

The first thing I want to get out here on the table is suggesting that we have more Finisher Variety. I've mentioned before how lame it is that the Scythe is still basically using Machete Frontals and GreatSword everything-else (see: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/480799-so-when-are-scythes-getting-scythe-related-finishers/), but it's not just scythes. Hands/Feet melees share all the same finishers as Fist melees. DE missed a fantastic opportunity to give Hands/Feet some great finishers involving the feet! Like, maybe the Sneak Attack starts out like dualswords, jumping up on the enemy's shoulders and grabbing with the legs, and then you snap the neck? And a frontal finisher could be a forward flip, grab the head with the legs, backward flip and slam on the ground? Let's put more acrobatics in the acrobatic weapon type!

2. MORE FINISHER RANGE!

Here's an idea to make it even easier to score finishers. Instead of having to walk all the way up to the target, you just have to get within two yards or so and you can activate the finisher prompt! Activating the finisher from a farther distance causes the player to automatically rush up to the target and perform the finisher without interruption. Include mods that increase the range of finisher activation!

3. AERIAL FINISHERS!

Here's ANOTHER idea! You can engage Finishers from mid-air, which will result in flashy, new Aerial finishers! Even MORE Acrobatics for those Acrobatic weapons, eh!? Imagine performing a wall latch and then activating the finisher prompt on an unwary Lancer just trundling along below! Even MORE Batman styling for you comic nerds!

4. MORE FINISHING-OPENERS!

Why not reward players for engaging combos by including special attacks in each combo that opens up the enemy for a finisher if performed correctly? Every stance should have one or two combos that end in a "stunning" attack that opens up the enemy for a follow-up finisher! Maybe even include mods for melees (and maybe even guns, too!), that give your attacks a chance to stun enemies, opening them up to finisher prompts!

5. DISTRACTED ENEMY FINISHERS!

Playing in a squad? More finishers for you! Why have Sneak Attacks only available on enemies who are at-rest? How about if enemies can be sneak-attacked as long as their focus isn't on you! If a Lancer is trying to gun-down my buddy and I run up right behind him, who says he's not "unaware" of my presence? Sounds like a neat opportunity for a sneak-attack right in the heat of battle, if you ask me!

6. INVINCIBILITY ON DOWN FINISHERS!

Is it too much to ask? We're invincible while performing Back finishers and Front finishers. Why not down-finishers? You remember the whole reason you made finishers invincible, right? To protect the player while they're stuck in an inescapable animation! Don't you want us safe while we're doing all our finishers!?

7. BOSS FINISHERS!?

Of course, I'm not suggesting we be allowed to one-shot bosses, but it might be neat to include some form of quick-time event that players can take advantage of to gain an edge over bosses with some hefty damage. The finishers for bosses don't need to be unique per weapon type (they would, instead, perhaps be specific to the boss themselves, like leaping onto Lech Kril's back and yanking out one of his cords violently).

This interactive finishers as well lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Finishers all day

Archwing Sharkwing

Multi finishers etc...

Lets Ash all Frames xD jk

But forreal tho I love finishers

What we need are QTE'S.

It will make us feel like we are accomplishing stuff.

QTE for Multi Finishers

Ok lets say You are running Excal with Radiant Finish

I would like to be able to do Multi Finishers

QTE would make perfect sense here.

But to balance this enemies must be withing a % range in order to do Multi finishers

I hope this helps stir up more great ideas +1^

• 1 month later...

QTE for Multi Finishers

Ok lets say You are running Excal with Radiant Finish

I would like to be able to do Multi Finishers

QTE would make perfect sense here.

But to balance this enemies must be withing a % range in order to do Multi finishers

I hope this helps stir up more great ideas +1^

Multi-finishers, eh!? THAT'S NOT A BAD IDEA!!!

I like this quite a bit, the main thing I want is for Finishers to be faster, or at least to chain together because it's so impractical in general Warframe combat to just stand there and do a finisher.

One sentiment I can never agree with, honestly.

I see it all the time, and my only response is... seriously?

I mean, you guys realize that when you do finishers you're invincible, right? Longer finisher animations are GOOD for you. That's more time for your shields to regen.

If you're worried about Excal's radial blind running out, well, first of all it SHOULDN'T. Excal has some pretty decent blind duration. Even if you nerf it a bit, though, (Fleeting Expertise?) radial blinds should get you through 3 or 4 guys.

Edited by Soldatto

Yes I realize I'm invincible, but the problem is that it takes too long. While I'm killing one enemy 15 others are hammering away at my friends, or at the defense objective. Doesn't really matter that much in the lower levels but in endless missions it makes a big difference.

Yes I realize I'm invincible, but the problem is that it takes too long. While I'm killing one enemy 15 others are hammering away at my friends, or at the defense objective. Doesn't really matter that much in the lower levels but in endless missions it makes a big difference.

To be fair, if you're in a hectic situation like a survival or defense where your team-mates (or a defense objective) is relying on you, you really shouldn't be bothering with single-target finishers and should PROBABLY be using your powers or even guns to kill MORE enemies even MORE quickly.

To be even fair-er, if you're Excalibur, it doesn't matter. The enemies you aren't killing are still blinded and not doing anything.

Like, I see where you're coming from, but I just plain don't agree on the matter.

Edited by Soldatto

To be fair, if you're in a hectic situation like a survival or defense where your team-mates (or a defense objective) is relying on you, you really shouldn't be bothering with single-target finishers and should PROBABLY be using your powers or even guns to kill MORE enemies even MORE quickly.

To be even fair-er, if you're Excalibur, it doesn't matter. The enemies you aren't killing are still blinded and not doing anything.

Like, I see where you're coming from, but I just plain don't agree on the matter.

Uuuuhh You guys do know Finishers animation got a slight speed buff?

Its called 11997915_977772752269272_841706330_n.jpg and it works on all Finishers like Bladestorm aswell is Sped up and Teleport finishers as well.

This is rather old ya know, maybe out like 3 weeks or soo. xD