Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Camera Feels Choppy

thethirdlore

Here's two seconds of walking sideways at 60 FPS, no dropped frames.

m5qmSth.gif

And here's a half playback speed one second of walking sideways at 120FPS, no dropped frames.

RQVwLBA.gif

So like in previous threads I've checked out, there's no dropped frames or microstutter inherent in the gameplay, it definitely seems to be a mouse input thing.  Maybe the effective polling/input rate isn't high enough, maybe the camera isn't adjusting as fast is the cursor position is, etc.

I tested out mousekeys but it seems to move the mouse in steps that are way too large, at increments way too spaced out to be a replacement for a decent mouse test.

Try changing your mouse polling rate (usually in the mouse drivers, eg. Razer Synapse under performance).  You can also use a program called "Direct Input Mouse Rate" to show the rate windows is actually using (because Windows 8.1 onwards have been reported as putting limits on it, overriding the driver settings).

Usually mouse stutter/lag is an issue in console ports, because the ported over code only accepts a low input polling rate (why my Corsair Vengeance keyboard has to be set to bios compatibility mode to work at all on my PS4).

There are several layers between the mouse hardware and the game that might also be a cause, if the polling rate is high, like hubs, other hardware sharing them (eg. USB headphones), additional software that mouse data passes through, USB port drivers (if you have an older motherboard with USB 3.0 ports, the drivers that came on the CD may not fully support USB 2.0 devices).

Alright so this is about what my wireless mouse is giving off.

TPUNpqS.png

If anybody with a higher-quality wired mouse (which can get much more precision) and FRAPS and the ability to record 120FPS could grab Virtualdub and look through their recordings for comparison...

The mouse polling rate is reading 1000Hz+ when using Direct Input Mouse Rate.  It should be noted that the stutter does not occur when not moving the mouse as the above the gifs show.  I have no issues with the same settings used to record the above videos and strafing without using the mouse.  The stutter only occurs for me when I move the mouse in certain tile sets.  On the liset standing still I can see no stutter whatsoever.

However, removing v-sync and upping the framerate limit option to 74 results in less or no stutter, hard to tell with some screen tear.  Moving the frame limit to 120 eliminates the microstutter and makes the movement as smooth as my hands will allow.  The same applies to no frame limits and running at 160-260fps on the Ceres tile I used earlier.

Using 120fps Frame Limit option:

Edited by LTRFOX

The mouse polling rate is reading 1000Hz+ when using Direct Input Mouse Rate.  It should be noted that the stutter does not occur when not moving the mouse as the above the gifs show.  I have no issues with the same settings used to record the above videos and strafing without using the mouse.  The stutter only occurs for me when I move the mouse in certain tile sets.  On the liset standing still I can see no stutter whatsoever.

[...]

Yeah, that's the part that has been puzzling me for months. V-sync appears to rule over this particular kind of stuttering. But at the same time the stuttering can increase or decrease simply because I moved from one room to another. This would be easy to explain if there were FPS drops involved, but there aren't any. It's really strange.

I've been playing games with V-sync enabled for ages and it's the first time I see this kind of behavior.

Edited by Amazerath

• 4 weeks later...

Alright my mouse started giving me serious issues (click/unclick, jumping around) so I grabbed a new one.  Remembered this thread and this was cheap enough and promised 1000hz and basic DPI settings so I went for it.  Was able to change it into 1000hz mode as in the manual (hold left/right/middle click for three seconds).

So here's some recordings at various DPIs, 120 frames at 120FPS, 1000hz.
Each gif is one second of gameplay played back in slow-motion at 10FPS.

500DPI
Gp1sw9D.gif

1000DPI
jxsJnkr.gif

2000DPI
tjuUTD2.gif

3000DPI
aEzw9lM.gif

Now that I've been messing with mouse settings... I do have to agree with the people complaining that the cursor sensitivity in Warframe is just a slider.  I'd really have liked to play with that, but without the ability to set it to specific numbers or return to a specific place, I don't wanna' touch it (and thus didn't for these recordings).

Anyways there's various combinations of DPI, polling rate, and game framerate that it can be locked to.  What other comparisons should I give?

[...]

Anyways there's various combinations of DPI, polling rate, and game framerate that it can be locked to.  What other comparisons should I give?

Honestly, I have no idea. DE asks us to send them logs, post videos and then... nothing happens.

I wouldn't bother posting about this anymore. I don't see the point in offering information without receiving any in return.

I'm actually asking you all to tell me what to try and record to show the issue because I don't see it.

I still don't see the point but you should PM LTRFOX and ask him directly. He managed to do it.

But I can tell you this is probably not related to input. If it was a problem caused by input it would be persistent. You would not get zero stuttering in some areas of the map and severe stuttering in other areas of the same map. Then again, only DE knows for sure and sharing what they know with us has never been a top priority.