Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Feels Unrewarding

Steemship

I've been playing Nyx and her powers feel unrewarding.

-Mind Control is alright, but in most games, the team ends up killing the controlled being just as fast. A possible fix for this would be to give controlled enemies immunity from Nyx's team's friendly fire on it. (This would not be during the stun, only when it is fighting for the Tenno)

-Psychic Bolt is just kinda useless as a power. It doesn't do enough damage to be worth casting cost and it is sporadic.

- Chaos currently works very well, but it is lacking one thing. When it is used, its effects on the battle feel irrelevant. Enemy kills and deaths under Chaos should count towards the player XP. This would make it feel more useful.

- Absorb feels largely useless. I've used it multiple instances in which enemies - common grunts - would survive the effect of Absorb after being wailed on for the ten seconds. It is also useless at range and very unreliable at best. I have come up with two ideas to fix this.

One: Very simply, exponential damage return to all enemies in the AoE.

Two: A damage tier list for her ability. For example, if say 500 damage is received (or a certain percentage of the warframe's health/shields, it could launch seeking bolts that do damage to ranged attackers (this would make it more useful when fighting against Grineer and Corpus who fight from cover. These bolts could penetrate physical targets because it is a psychic attack and not effected by worldly material. When 500 damage (or percentage) is reached, the attack could shift to a massive AoE that would be devastating to the enemy. Possibly even head exploding if it isn't too graphic.

I personally like the second idea better and think it would be more interesting than the current ability.

Also, Nyx is banging, for lack of a better term.

while i gotta say nyx is extremely strong, and i dont think her abilities (chaos) feels unrewarding at all, i do agree that its kind of a one trick pony.

Basically, if i am in a defense mission with 3 other guys, lets say on xini, i just stand on the weird computer pillar thing at one of the ramps and look around, when there are enough mobs in range, i do chaos, and wait a few minutes for another round of mobs to do the same. I dont even need to participate in combat to be useful, i just stand there and cast chaos. Thats all.

As a hardcore Ash player im having a real kick with Nyx

but i admit i only use 2 of her powers... 

Mind Control for taking over healers [at the end of a defense round] and for having fun taking over Fusion MOAS and Heavy gunners especially in the void

and Chaos of course

Her Uber is too slow imo, and also if you have shade equipped ya get cloaked in the middle of it!

id like to see her Psychic Bolts with a damage boost and a REDUCED power cost to 25....  50 is WAY too much for such a low dmg ability...

One silly thing i noticed:

We often hear people complain about temamates shooting targets that have been mind controlled and are actually hepling our theam, right?

Well turnes out even our own sentinels do that stupid sh*t. They target the mind controlled and help other mobs (and incompetent teammates) figth it!

This, dear ladies and gentlemen, is one of the cases where WTF is not ill mannered but actually quite appropriate.

I think she's fine as she is, she has a niche and I'd like it if she stays there (unless de adds more abilities to the frames)

I run nyx as my primary and I tend to use all her skills equally (okay chaos more then others and absorbs is very situational right now)

Mind Control - It's kinda fine as it is. Immunity is a no-go, Mind Control is fun to spam on bosses as well. Just give Mind Control'd mobs a big neon sign that says DONT SHOOT ME LOL.

Psychic Bolts - Useless? No. Not worth it's energy and mod cost? Depends. If you're running low-end Defense, Psychic Bolts makes your game even more of a cakewalk than it already is, and an experienced Nyx can use it well.

Chaos - Best

Absorb - Useless? No. Not worth it's energy and mod cost? Yes. I fill the slot for that junk with Quick Rest.

Mind Control - It's kinda fine as it is. Immunity is a no-go, Mind Control is fun to spam on bosses as well. Just give Mind Control'd mobs a big neon sign that says DONT SHOOT ME LOL.

dunno if you are joking or not but thats actually a GOOD idea! 

a huge big BLUE glowing 'Anti Sign' [ya know..the circle with the slash thru it sign] o

ver their head or something [theres way too much RED and GREEN stuff going on already]

its STILL not gunna stop nubs from blasting your new found friend anyway... even if you say in chat.. 

'i am going to mind control the ancient healer DO NOT SHOOT them'  

'i have just mind controlled the ancient healer DO NOT shoot them'  

bangbangbangbang..   its not gunna make too much difference i think haha

problem is its a pain in the &#! but we DONT want it to make the enemy immune to dmg either unfortunately, because using Mind Control on a high level ancient or mech specifically TO blast them is a great tactic sometimes

I disagree with mind control I think it serves its purpose fine. Making it untargettable takes away from it. Adding the damage creatures deal to one another as nyxs damage for final screen would be nice. Psychic bolt needs to add an effect to make the creature damage itself... which would be alright as it increases the damage done and makes the skill more viable in comparison. Absorb needs a taunt or something added to it, and maybe if they added a bit of sound or something to it when used teammates would have more notice of when to attack it on nyx.

Nyx is skills needs yes or yes friends cuz in randoms pubs is the most annoying thing when you mind controll useful things like healer acient and you team just kill it in the first sec.

Also psy bolts is really whishy whashy skill, most of the time collide against walls and the damage is really meh even with focus.

Edited by Dasmir

nyx does feel extremely boring to play-as a Loki main, I decided to try nyx for a change of pace, and the resultant change of pace is mind control->chaos->kill->repeat, trading in a dynamic playstyle for a slooooow one. she's powerful, for sure, but she's such a drag to play as, much less level up.

nyx does feel extremely boring to play-as a Loki main, I decided to try nyx for a change of pace, and the resultant change of pace is mind control->chaos->kill->repeat, trading in a dynamic playstyle for a slooooow one. she's powerful, for sure, but she's such a drag to play as, much less level up.

As a Loki player i can relate to that, plus:

I've tried almost all the warframe, excluding vauban and volt, ana what i can tell you is nothing is as much fin as Loki. I do realize this is extremely subjective but still. 

I just got Nyx to lvl 15 and while she is nice for defence she feels kind of... boring (thankfully not as much as the damage dealers Rhino, Ember, etc.) in my humble opinion.

Also i haven't figured out hot to defeat the Stalker  alone with her. Could any of the more experienced Nix users give me some tips on that?

Edited by zombaio

As a Loki player i can relate to that, plus:

I've tried almost all the warframe, excluding vauban and volt, ana what i can tell you is nothing is as much fin as Loki. I do realize this is extremely subjective but still. 

I just got Nyx to lvl 15 and while she is nice for defence she feels kind of... boring (thankfully not as much as the damage dealers Rhino, Ember, etc.) in my humble opinion.

Also i haven't figured out hot to defeat the Stalker  alone with her. Could any of the more experienced Nix users give me some tips on that?

Artificial bump and answer!

The same way you defeat Stalker on any frame...use cover and gun him down. Her abilities don't really help that much with Stalker.

Mind control: well you can pretty much solo level 3 void with this alone, just use it on heavy gunners and watch the fun.

Psychic bolts: decent for when you're lazy and just want stuff to die quicker, which for me is always.

Chaos: The best ability in the game. Paired with stretch, continuity and streamline it makes defense missions a joke.

Absorb: No point ever equipping this since chaos is cheaper and better.

Personally I think Nyx rules, I like soloing the void and exploring in my own time and it's my favourite frame that is perfectly suited to that purpose.

Edited by ApeMummy

As a note to everyone about Absorb: Your teammates can fuel the absorb with their shots as well as the enemy's.

If you group up with say, a Loki, who pops a decoy in one location and enemies flock to it, Nyx can burn absorb and everyone can direct their fire onto her so the resulting pop spreads that damage out across the tightly grouped mob :)

although yeah I do agree with the psychic bolts...they're a bit...underwhelming.

If they added a stun to them or some kind of disorientation along with the damage, maybe we could be in business there

As a note to everyone about Absorb: Your teammates can fuel the absorb with their shots as well as the enemy's.

If you group up with say, a Loki, who pops a decoy in one location and enemies flock to it, Nyx can burn absorb and everyone can direct their fire onto her so the resulting pop spreads that damage out across the tightly grouped mob :)

although yeah I do agree with the psychic bolts...they're a bit...underwhelming.

If they added a stun to them or some kind of disorientation along with the damage, maybe we could be in business there

Keep the damage and energy costs for Psychic Bolts as they are but targets hit by PB run in terror for 1-2 seconds. 

Edited by Auxilium1

I only equip chaos...and I only take Nyx to high level defense. All of her other 3 skills need to be completely redesigned from scratch.

Mind control can be useful when you are playing with friends. A toxic or healer acient can be useful some times.

Mind control is effective CC tool when used on tough targets.

They attract attention to them and we can watch the fireworks.

Chaos is ultimately her ultimate.

Absorb needs to attract aggro like iron skin and a much bigger blast radius.

P.Bolts deals too little damage but if they did effects like stun or slow it could work.

Edited by fatpig84

I use Nyx as my primary frame as well. Conclusions I made for myself:

- Don't install Absorb and Psychic bolt. You will have more slots and points to distribute for other items. No need for potato and forma.

- Shoot enemies that are affected by chaos and mind control too. They will get back at you later or when there are no other enemies or the time runs out.

Yes, Nyx feels unrewarding to play.

But she is the only Warframe without silly armcoils, diva collar, turdhead, thundertights, split toes, horse-hips.

Edited by Kasamoto

Skilled players can find uses for any ability, but that doesn't mean they don't need to be reworked to be more useful.

Not implying that they don't need to be reworked. I use Psychic Bolts a lot and I do agree that they could use a damage buff or the ability to pierce walls and dead bodies.