Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Guide To Heavy Melee Weapons

Wormyish

Question

You basically have a few choices here.

Gram-

a longsword with good damage and great reach, plus a fast swing speed.

40 base damage

200 base charge damage

1.3 base fire rate

Hate-

a sythe of awesome comparable to a (very) slightly weakened scindo. Smaller range, slower charge.

50 base damage

200 base charge damage

1.0 base fire rate

2.1s base charge speed

Fraggor-

Scindo with armor ignore, Also a warhammer. Great for hitting home runs with enemies.

(.898 batting average(complete BS by the way))

I might also might want to point out that the skin for the fraggor makes it better, as well as makes it look like something other than a radiator on a stick.

50 base damage

200 base charge damage

1.0 base fire rate

2.0s base charge rate

Reaper prime-

Will be aparently buffed soon. fast, compact, but slightly lacking in power.

40 base damage

150 base charge damage

1.5 base fire rate

2.1s base charge speed

shorter range

Orthos-

basically small scindo blades on a stick. Adds some range at the price of power. Can be ramped up for massive damage.

45 base damage

200 base charge damage

1.57 base fire rate

2.0s base charge rate

Amphis-

electric bo staff. can send enemies flying.

30 base attack

100 base charge attack

1.7 base fire rate

Scindo-

My pesonal favorite, mainly because I can't stand the way the fraggor looks, and I fight mainly infested.

Great damage, speed can be upgraded, Very high charge damage and it looks awesome.

I mean really, who doesn't want an axe?

50 base damage

200 base charge damage

1.0 base fire rate

2.0s base charge rate

Ways to use these weapons

So now that you have seen the armory, what do you want to do about it?

There are a few ways you can use these weapons.

Charge attacking

It has been brought to my attention that Charge attacks are better than normal attacks.

So I feel that I must state this here.

Hitting big and doing lots of damage. < oh wait. there it is.

Need- High charge damage, fast charge speed helps.

Normal attacking or "Tanking"

getting swarmed and taking out huge numbers of weaker units.

Need- high base damage, fast swing.

Stun attacking.

Jumping over a group of enemies and stuning them with a jump attack.

Need- as much damage as you can squeeze out of one attack, stun bonus.

Multirole

A lot of the weapons above can be adapted for one of the above

But if you make a weapon for all three, then it supposedly won't be as good at any of them

However, a maxed and potatoed heavy melee weapon can be adapted for all three quite well.

For example, I use my Scindo to plow through a lot of smaller enemies, then charge for heavy enemys and stun when I need to.

Recap

The best three for damage are the Hate, Fraggor, and the Scindo

The best for speed are the Gram (oh look! the Gram in the speed category) and the Reaper Prime.

The best for range are Othos, Amphis, and Gram.

I would also like to point out the fantastic sounds that the Reaper Prime, Orthos, Hate, Fraggor and Scindo make. Because who cares how much damage you do if your rifle sounds like the latron prime? Just kidding, but really these weapons sound awesome.

I've used all of these, as well as the dual heat swords, and a few others, But my favorite will remain the Scindo.

SUMMARY

Pretty much all of the weapons can be made close to equal through mods and/or adapted to fit your playstyle best.

When maxed, these weapons are all super powerful. Any superiority between them is quite small and can be changed with different mod loadouts.

Hope this helps you choose your weapons.

Tl;dr: Scindo is teh besht!!!one!!1!

^ this is obviously a joke.

Edited by Wormyish

24 answers to this question

Well, for a guide, this has very little objective information, and some of it is even wrong. You don't mention that charge attacks are so much better then fast ones, and you don't really explain why Scindo is supposedly > all.

(Hint: it isn't. Gram is, because charge attacks scale so much better then fast ones, and it's charge time is 0.2 faster then Scindo, everything else being the same.)

Well, for a guide, this has very little objective information, and some of it is even wrong. You don't mention that charge attacks are so much better then fast ones, and you don't really explain why Scindo is supposedly > all.

(Hint: it isn't. Gram is, because charge attacks scale so much better then fast ones, and it's charge time is 0.2 faster then Scindo, everything else being the same.)

Typical Gram fanboy, but this is for people who have played the game a little bit, sorry you don't like it. I'll edit it somemore and add a few things. But If you arent going to take the time to make a guide yourself, I wouldn't be so critical.

I would also like to point out that if someone is really interested in getting the best of these weapons, they will look at the stats, the cost, they will ask people who use them, and they will gather materials, then choose.

Typical Gram fanboy, but this is for people who have played the game a little bit, sorry you don't like it. I'll edit it somemore and add a few things. But If you arent going to take the time to make a guide yourself, I wouldn't be so critical.

typical average guide-maker thinking that a guide without a SINGLE number is a reliable guide, or just bad troll attempt?

@Korevas: +1

typical average guide-maker thinking that a guide without a SINGLE number is a reliable guide, or just bad troll attempt?

@Korevas: +1

Just lazy, I'll put them in for gods sake, will that satisfy you?

At least I tried to back up my oppinion with facts. Speaking of which, here are some:

- charge attacks are not just better dps. They also ignore armor, on any weapon, making the "armor ignore" property largely redundant.

- "Deals triple damage to infested", means light ones only, and is not a unique property of the scindo; it's on all slashing weapons

- charge attacks scale up to +150%, while fast ones get only +42%

- regardless, both fury and reflex coil are useful, because the animation for the charge attack itself gets sped up by fury

- jump attacks are highly useful for stunning (although they are counted as normal attacks for damage calculations)

- therefore, north wind, even at 0 level is very strong on melee weapons, because the get-up animation will be slowed as well

In essence, your guide can really be reduced to:

Tl;dr: Scindo is teh besht!!!one!!1!

While it's perfectly fine to have diverse oppions, I wouldn't neccessarily call them a guide.

Edited by Korevas

Nope, he's right.

Not necessarily, It would all depend on how you use it. Yet again, you are combating my opinions with your own, (stop liking what I don't like)

Also, I use the Scindos normal attacks a lot so for me, I need that slight edge the scindo gives over the gram (haha edge, get it?), but I also use the charge attack, and to make up for the difference, I have reflex coil. besides, If I do more damage per hit, it would equal out the small speed advantage you have.

Edited by Wormyish

Orthos: First, look at this (he's using it unmodded, mind you):

Then, add maxed Reflex Coil, maxed Killing Blow, and maxed Reach.

Congratulations! You now have a wicked fast charge spamming weapon with a LONG reach.

Ok? Scindo with max reach has an impressive area of effect. as does pretty much all of them.

Ok? Scindo with max reach has an impressive area of effect. as does pretty much all of them.

Orthos: First, look at this (he's using it unmodded, mind you):

Then, add maxed Reflex Coil, maxed Killing Blow, and maxed Reach.

Congratulations! You now have a wicked fast charge spamming weapon with a LONG reach.

I do understand though, Orthos is a great weapon.