Yesterday I have been playing a round of railjack. Laughing already? Didn't even tell the pointe yet.
So we were three people on the sentient anomaly mission. Didn't even fill all slots. "Alright," I thought to myself "three people is less than four but we can do this". It turns out, however, that out of the three people we were one was inexperienced and seemingly didn't know how to put fires out so the other one, me, did all the work and the third one straight up fell asleep while maning the side guns apparantly. The third one then died, bled out, and didn't respawn.
We failed the mission halfway-through. Sentient anomaly, gone. Time, wasted.
Warframe needs a vote-kick system and DE should reconsider their position on this. By vote-kick system I mean the ability for squad members to kick other squad members out of their party so they may be replaced with more useful people. I am aware that this would not have helped my railjack situation above as I specifically mentioned we were three only anyways.
I already hear you clicking on your keyboard; "That's stupid, people would just kick others they don't like because they did (x)".
Yes. Yes, that would be stupid but that is just why you can vote on it. If someone tries to untruthfully kick somebody who did nothing wrong there are still two people left to oppose and trump his vote.
Another solution would be something among the lines of what another game called Elsword did.
Elsword is a 2d-ish sidescrolling MMORPG with squads of four. Players moved through dungeons which had various sub-stages with "glass doors" in between. Before moving to a next stage, every player had to move near the glass door, actively hindering the progression of the squad if a player was afk. There was no direct option to kick a player but if a player was full-afk for a certain amount of time a button next to their part of the HUD would appear which you could click to vote to kick them. If not enough votes passed they stayed.
While this system functioned perfectly in Elsword, Warframe functions differently and this system would have to be translated to account for that. Warframe levels are not linear iin progression as Elswords and rarely require all party members to participate. Further, sometimes not moving is a legitimate strategy in Warframe, for instance when protecting a defense target with Vauban and just throwing down grenades. A Warframe version would have to issue a kick only if a player is FULL-afk meaning no inputs at al for a certain amount of time.
But this system would ultimately still be inappropriate. I just wanted to give my thoughts on that to show I explored some options.
In Warframe, it is not always that easy. You may want to kick a player regardless of them doing inputs. For instance, when you all are doing bounties in the plains and one player just decides to go fishing.
But screw those blocks of texts. Here's what I imagined it to look like;
- Players can vote to kick another player via the dropdown for their player names in the pause screen.
- The player who issued the kick will automatically vote yes, obviously. The other two get to vote anonymously in a certain time frame via a hotkey (similar to Counter Strike /TF2 if you know these ones).
- The to-be-kicked player will be notified that a kick for them is in progress. They will not see the votes or who issued the vote, of course.
- If it doesn't go through, nothing happens and the next kick for that player is on a 120s cooldown.
- If it does go through the player is removed from the squad. They retain all rewards but forfeit any completion-rewards and unidentified items.
- The then open slot is open to new players to match into the game regardless of mission status but not if the only current left objective is to get to extraction.
- If the system that was announced to replace the guides of the lotus, the "appreciation" system is put into place, being kicked should reduce one's reputation.
- After being kicked the player is banned from public matchmaking for 30 minutes.
Let me know what you guys think.