Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

It's maybe time to rework the Tutorial phases of the game

(PSN)Fourd_4D

<Topic contains spoilers>

<Actually topic is mostly spoilers>

With cinematic and lore heavy quests now punctuating progression through the game, and with the junction shopping lists now determining the pace at which you develop the star chart instead of planet segments, I think it's clear the tutorial section of the game could use a bit of a rework.

Like, I don't know if you're tracking this kind of data but everybody I have talked to about Warframe had only met Teshin for the first time during the Natah quest and was very confused about this strange man who was calling them their pupil as if they had met before. Seeing as how you have junction requirements to even get far enough to access Natah, obviously talking to Teshin on the relays should be a minimum requirement for accessing Uranus. Maybe even have Teshin offer a Conclave tutorial, even a training match against bots or something. In fact, a lot of NPCs in the Relays or otherwise ought to have an incentivized introduction, to let you know about their possible quests or services or syndicate bonuses, etc. Maybe one of the early Junction lists should just be to go talk to all the NPCs in the relay.

But speaking of the Junction requirements, perhaps somebody like Lotus (or Teshin) should talk about the junctions and how they have the spooky specters of the rails that will pose a cryptic challenge to Tenno that wish to use the rail. You know, just to kind of act as a way for new players to understand that in order to progress they need to finish their Junction shopping lists and listen to the raspy specters make their demands. And I might be overstepping my understanding of the lore right now but maybe there should be a very subtle hint at transference from the specters prior to any quests that mention it, since I'm assuming something similar to transference created the specters of the rails. Maybe they were low guardians and have a memory of Stalker.

And ah yes, the Stalker. I doubt any new player will make it all the way to Second Dream without bumping into him. But maybe when he sends you your first angry email, have Lotus and/or Ordis comment about it. "Oh yeah that's this really angry dude that has made it his sworn mission to exterminate your kind any way he possibly can. I wouldn't worry about it too much."

War Within goes in depth about a darker part of the Orokin culture but it seems to conflict a bit with the hidden Ordis Fragment messages. Seems to. On close inspection, it doesn't say anywhere that ALL the Orokin or every class of Orokin had to depend on Continuity (Primed Continuity?), so Ballas simply getting up perfectly fine after a good ol' Beast of Boning suggests to me that Orokin immortality wasn't simply body snatching but that the upper echelons of Orokin society had no need for such a comparably barbaric method of immortality. Maybe someone should comment on this during or after the quest. Maybe. Preserving the mystique is important. All the more reason then to constantly call into question what we know of the Orokin though, right?

But speaking of Ordis' fragments, you should put a hint into the game itself that they are there. Maybe when you complete a fragment and return to your ship, Ordis could chime in happily that you have completed a new fragment and then immediately demand that you destroy it or not look at it in your codex. Just to let people know that maybe they should be looking at it in their codex so they can discover the triangulation minigame for the hidden message.

Oh yeah, and have the Worm send you an angry email about Kuva Siphon/Flood missions after War Within as a way to introduce players to the concept, and have Lotus and Teshin argue about the Riven Mod you get for completing War Within as a sneaky way to introduce players to Riven Rolling! There really isn't a suitable explanation in-game. It should be hard to skip. Small transmissions can make all the difference. Like maybe someone should explain that to get Invasion rewards you need to satisfy the chosen faction with multiple missions in quick succession.

In short:

1. Force contact with Teshin prior to Natah.
  2. Incentivize a full Relay NPC tour.
  3. NPC dialogue explanation of Junction shopping lists and make Specters of the Rail worth their weight in lore.
  4. NPC dialogue explanation of Stalker prior to Second Dream.
  5. Ordis dialogue hints to take actual interest in Codex Fragments.
  6. In depth NPC dialogue explanation of Kuva missions and Riven Mods.
  7. In general, try to add transmissions or communication emails about game features that could really use explanation so new players have both interest and knowledge of what they should be asking about.

That way newer players are less lost and confused and you don't need to depend on guides of the lotus for everything. Every time you add new features or quests there should be an in game explanation new players won't miss.:clem::thumbup:

I agree on all of it.

I have justified that invasion don't need explanation because they are for resources you need to craft dojo blueprint (and thust the clan mates can explain it), however, there are reactors and other things in invasion that clanless player might want.

For anecdotic evidence that invasion need some introduction to new players: I recently had the experience of a player laughing that I didn't get what I wanted from repeating the invasion. I got it, just some hours later.

hace 1 hora, (PS4)Fourd_4D dijo:

But speaking of Ordis' fragments, you should put a hint into the game itself that they are there. Maybe when you complete a fragment and return to your ship, Ordis could chime in happily that you have completed a new fragment and then immediately demand that you destroy it or not look at it in your codex. Just to let people know that maybe they should be looking at it in their codex so they can discover the triangulation minigame for the hidden message.

This reminds me of something, I once met a player that refused to scan ordis fragments because he was convinced they were something for cephalon suda, and that was not his syndicate.

Hi ^^
Totally agree with all that ^^
I watch Twitch streams every day to see how the new ones are working out, and help them if need be, and they all, absolutely all, go through the same questions.
Some more easily than others, and it's quite fascinating to study ^^
Clearly, now that the game has really content, a serious content, especially compared to its beginnings, it is time for it to take the time to improve what is in place, in order.
This passage of this interview, says a lot I think .. up to 34min 7
(the whole interview is interesting to watch, to understand how we got to warframe in its current state, and how DE are incredible * - *)

Révélation

In the same way that the melee 3.0 comes, I think it would be necessary to assemble a small team on the project "global improvement"
The game needs lots of little things to make it more immersive, more captivating, more alive. And it does not need much, it's already very close to giving the feeling of a "complete" game.
But it lacks the little things, stupid and futile, like, sit on the couch of our personal quarters ? Interactions with Ordis ? Can you ask him questions ? This kind of little things that will make the difference by their insignificance ^^ '

Edited by Azvalk