Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Set Host According To Laggs

strifezero

I am not 100% sure about how to reduce the amount of lagg in a game however, some people are just unable to cope with hosting games. To fight this they should make a system that as you start loading it find out which person would be the best host and migrates everyone to them. So the game creator is still the same but the game is hosted on the strongest network and system. 

Any thoughts?

The problem is bandwith.

You cannot know how will host react to multiple clients. For instance my friend can host a game with +1 player just fine, but if he gets +2 or +3, the game becomes unplayable. If its fault of his connection bandwith or game's huge of it when sending data to more clients, while droping host's fps in many cases... i have no idea why or what is the problem. But those are the reasons why you cannot do that. Although selection from available hosts with information like ping, players, ranks, etc... would be great.

It doesn't help that location also factors into the bandwidth in some weird way. Sometimes i can host just fine for 3 people from NA in middle EU. Then in another match, everyone is clipping, lagging and jumping all over the place from lag even with all of us from the EU.

Asked around and they all had the same-ish level of badwidth available... sooo yeah. I have no idea whats going on here.

why don't they do a speedtest when you log in? I woiuld be happy to see the test from speedtest every time i log in. That way they can see what your bandwidth is?

They would see your dl/up speed and ping to target location, not your bandwith. Although it most probably can be calculated from it and reflect upon it, but then you would have to pay speedtest for using their service, etc, etc...

Its computers... they break and fix themselfs for no reason all the time. :)

also, a lot of host issues may not be network related: the host is simply not powerful enough. The "lag" is not at network part, it is the host computer struggling to do all the AI, sync the states etc. Adding network traffic (the host has to deal with 3 times the traffic of other clients) AND running the gfx client at the same time...

also, a lot of host issues may not be network related: the host is simply not powerful enough. AND running the gfx client at the same time...

Host doesnt have to render the scene 4 times for every other client... ^^

Also fps lag is not network lag.

Host doesnt have to render the scene 4 times for every other client... ^^

Also fps lag is not network lag.

The client I am talking about is the one that the host player plays.

Compare this vs a non-gfx PURE server + 4 separate clients.

Basically, WF is 1 host server+client and up to 3 other clients.

iow, if I am not clear enough: the "server" part of the host essentially is competing with the gfx part for non gfx-card resources, and have to take up extra work of data sync and roughly 3 times network processing than other clients.

I can have a smooth session even with hosts of 300-500 ping provided the host is powerful enough. Conversely, if it is not powerful enough, even below 100 ping will yield a game that will appear "laggy" on the non-host client's side.

Edited by smithf