Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Colony, the Swarm Frame (Updated 31st August)

(XBOX)Hackadactyl

Hello Everyone 🙂

Edit: As this is a collaboration, there will be multiple ideas placed in for move sets, please speak up which ideas you like the most so we can start perfecting him

most of the ideas below are in early concept, please feel free to contribute your opinions

A massive thank you to @Cutethulhu for early concept brain storming, and even coming up with the name Colony! (original concept idea for name was Agglomeration)

Big Thank you to BlazGaming and Noibat for adding in ideas for moves, stats etc

Name: Colony

Concept: This frame is made up of nano-bot like particles, though they are made of living infestation. As such, they don't have a typical health or energy system at all.
Instead Colony has a "swarm-bar", which is used for everything, health, abilities etc. The idea is that as they get shot, parts of them get destroyed, but they also use themselves up to perform abilities. This would mean they would require a higher swarm-bar (read health bar) than other frames, but the trade off is they are actively spending it to cast abilities.

Also they would shrink as they lose health/use abilities, with less of the swarm making them up.

Move-set Ideas:
There are multiple ideas for each ability below where I couldn't decide which to keep, please feel free to have a read and talk about which you like the most.

Passive - finishers give to the swarm on death the swarm will scatter dealing toxic damage to nearby enemies

or

as he shrinks,  his movement speed is increased,  and aggro is reduced.

1. Coccoon - Colony wraps himself in a swarm of nano-infested,  which slowly repair his health,  while increasing armor and attacking any enemies within a 5m radius, at the cost of severely reduced or no move speed.  

Harden - (cost base 100, duration), armour increases at a rapid rate while losing the swarm until you become invincible you still lose the swarm at a much slower rate (takes about 500-1.5k swarm to become invincible) high risk high reward ability

-----

2. Detach - (cost 300), the swarm goes around a 15m radius damaging enemies with toxic damage whilst gaining 1 swarm per 2 kills (within radius doesn't have to be swarm kills)

Plague - Colony breaks himself apart,  turning into a fast,  deadly swarm of nano-infested,  damaging any enemies he envelops,  as well as inflicting toxin/viral or slash procs. Channeled ability,  which feeds on enemies, increasing his power and regenerating a small portion of health for each kill. 

-----

3. Breed (cost 700), creates a hive that around a 50m radius damages enemies with toxic damage and when allies/you are in a 10m radius it replenishs health if put onto an ally it heals them (for the duration of the ability) if onto an enemy it becomes even more efficent with damage and healing 

-----
4. Shape-shift - shape-shift weapons for hand, tap once for an exalted style sword hand, tap a second time for a super cannon which is quite powerful, at the cost of your health to fire.

Infest - sends nano-infested in a shotgun style blast in front of Colony,  causing all who are hit to take damage over time,  as well as a radiation proc that lasts for the duration of the skill.

Hivemind - (cost 2000), takes over enemies whilst damaging them when enemy dies it creates a swarm monster that has a speed of 3.0 and does toxic and slash damage to enemies it attacks, depending on how much it damage they did to the enemy depends on how much health it had (can still be damaged when it's just the enemy not the swarm monster) 

-----

Swarm-bar

energy health and shield mods all affect the top amount of the swarm, health and energy pickups increase the swarm amount overshield increases the max of swarm you can have (zenerik does not affect swarm bar)

Stats:

Rank 0  swarm amount - 3000

Rank 10 swarm amount - 3200

Rank 20 swarm amount - 3600

Rank 30 swarm amount -  4000

Rank 0 swarm damage - 15/s

Rank 10 swarm damage - 30/s

Rank 20 swarm damage - 45/s

Rank 30 swarm damage - 60/s

Misc

when you are down the passive still works until they revive you then it slows down in damage and spread

when the breed ability is not active on an ally and you are downed it becomes twice as deadly so does your passive

when you do a finisher (you dont have to kill the target) you get swarm by the percent of damage you do to the healthbar for example you  do 5% finisher damage to an enemy you get 50 swarm and you do 10% finisher damage you get 100 swarm etc etc 

when invincble you still take proc damage like slash and toxic for examples and speed is reduce the longer you are invincible (like -1% speed every minute)

Edited by (XB1)EelPorridge

well....let's be real here for a second....it's awesome I love the idea. I can imagine that this could be a thing in Warframe. However visualizing that things as a Warframe might be the only downside to it as DE doesn't seam to attempt anything new like this. If you could come up with two other abilities, a passive and well thought stats and explanations for the swarm bar then I can guaranty you that this will get noticed a lot. Has a huge potential. Keep it up

9 hours ago, LOD07 said:

you could come up with two other abilities, a passive and well thought stats and explanations for the swarm bar then I can guaranty you that this will get noticed a lot. Has a huge potential. Keep it up

Thanks for kind words and suggestions, I will be working on rest of abilities and more back story in the near future

Sounds pretty interesting,  I gotta say!  Here are some ideas for other skills,  if you're open to them-

Coccoon- Colony wraps himself in a swarm of nano-infested,  which slowly repair his health,  while increasing armor and attacking any enemies within a 5m radius, at the cost of severely reduced or no move speed.  

Plague- Colony breaks himself apart,  turning into a fast,  deadly swarm of nano-infested,  damaging any enemies he envelops,  as well as inflicting toxin/viral or slash procs. Channeled ability,  which feeds on enemies, increasing his power and regenerating a small portion of health for each kill. 

The Calling- Summons  infested ancients to fight alongside you for 30s, each cast summoning one infested at the cost of 10% of your HP.   

Infest- sends nano-infested in a shotgun style blast in front of Colony,  causing all who are hit to take damage over time,  as well as a radiation proc that lasts for the duration of the skill.

Your idea of him shrinking as his health is depleted is really cool too,  and gave me an idea for a passive- as he shrinks,  his movement speed is increased,  and aggro is reduced.  

Edited by Noibat

I love this idea and would like to add to it

passive - finishers give to the swarm on death the swarm will scatter dealing toxic damage to nearby enemies

1 - harden (cost base 100, duration), armour increases at a rapid rate while losing the swarm until you become invincible you still lose the swarm at a much slower rate (takes about 500-1.5k swarm to become invincible) high risk high reward ability

2 - detach (cost 300), the swarm goes around a 15m radius damaging enemies with toxic damage whilst gaining 1 swarm per 2 kills (within radius doesn't have to be swarm kills)

3 - breed (cost 700), creates a hive that around a 50m radius damages enemies with toxic damage and when allies/you are in a 10m radius it replenishs health if put onto an ally it heals them (for the duration of the ability) if onto an enemy it becomes even more efficent with damage and healing 

4 - hivemind (cost 2000), takes over enemies whilst damaging them when enemy dies it creates a swarm monster that has a speed of 3.0 and does toxic and slash damage to enemies it attacks, depending on how much it damage they did to the enemy depends on how much health it had (can still be damaged when it's just the enemy not the swarm monster) 

Rank 0  swarm amount - 3000

Rank 10 swarm amount - 3200

Rank 20 swarm amount - 3600

Rank 30 swarm amount -  4000

Rank 0 swarm damage - 15/s

Rank 10 swarm damage - 30/s

Rank 20 swarm damage - 45/s

Rank 30 swarm damage - 60/s

How the swarm bar works

energy health and shield mods all affect the top amount of the swarm, health and energy pickups increase the swarm amount overshield increases the max of swarm you can have (zenerik does not affect swarm bar)

Misc

when you are down the passive still works until they revive you then it slows down in damage and spread

when the breed ability is not active on an ally and you are downed it becomes twice as deadly so does your passive

when you do a finisher (you dont have to kill the target) you get swarm by the percent of damage you do to the healthbar for example you  do 5% finisher damage to an enemy you get 50 swarm and you do 10% finisher damage you get 100 swarm etc etc 

when invincble you still take proc damage like slash and toxic for examples and speed is reduce the longer you are invincible (like -1% speed every minute)

Edited by BlazGaming
additions

A very cool idea indeed. As said have a huge potential. I do have some critics(?) in mind . First and most important, you can and should edit the main post for any changes of the concept. That is what people come here after all. Second I think the numbers may need some streamlining and organizing cuz having such huge numbers is really not familliar in wf. Maybe nerf down the swarm bar and energy cost and make the frame based on fast, constant depletion and replenishment of nano bots like u waste a large amount of hp/ swarm but also regen them quickly.

Good luck and keep working :)!

OP has been updated to create the collaboration. Big thank you to @BlazGaming and @Noibat for the ideas.

14 hours ago, DR.Noooooo_B said:

Maybe nerf down the swarm bar and energy cost and make the frame based on fast, constant depletion and replenishment of nano bots like u waste a large amount of hp/ swarm but also regen them quickly.

Sounds good, do you have any ideas for numbers? If you write something up, I will be happy to add to the collaboration above.

Well I will givw it a shot. I think good numbers to start with would be like 1000 swarm bar at rank 30. With max Redirection, Vitality and vigor (not even prime) u can get a total of 1100% increase to hp and shields which means around 10100 swarm bar idealy, even more with prime vigor. You said also Energy is affected right? with primed flow it will get to 10375 swarm bar. Anyway I think thats fine for now. Rduce the energy cost by the same percent (75%) for now.

As for abilities then like i said, big depletion and big regen. How about an ability the removes a x% of your swarm to force enemies to attack thier allies then in the end the swarm come back to you and heals u and gives extra armor.Then you could replace the first ability with something more interesting since..well "lose swarm be invincible" sounds kinda meh to me. My frame making idoelogy is that the 1st ability should be someething spammable that also have a solid effect, even if not too useful. I do like the Breed ability, maybe give Colony the option to use more swarm on the hive to increase its effect.

Im kinda runnig out of time here so 2 last things- the passive fees a bit wierd. Wouldt make more sense to use something like- As Colony gets damaged parts of him rip and fall which he can recollect for regen or enemies can get infected for minor damage and slow or something? And last thing for now is just my little fantasy about his ult XD: Assimilate- Colony assimilate with sorounding area becoming part of the landscape. All "utility" entities (turrets, cameras etc) will be under his control and will auto target enemies. When pressing attack large spikes will erupt damaging nearby enemies and knoking them back. Just my idea XD.