Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revenant inspiration ? (SPOILERS for Revenant quest)

----G----

Yesterday, I collected my newly crafted Revenant, then I realized he has more than a few features reminiscent of Raziel, the main protagonist of the 1999 game Legacy of Kain : Soul Reaver. It is basically one of the first games I every played, if not the very first. I was so young when I started playing it that some aspects of the game freaked me out, but it really was a good game for its time, especially for its great narration and convincing voice acting in general (Tony Jay, Michael Bell...) but also for its level design and atmosphere (it has a pretty good soundtrack too). So anyway, here are a few subtle similarities that remind me of Raziel's character :

1. The Spectral Reaver

Révélation

latest?cb=20121003183003

Notice the energy flowing around his arm, just like Revenant, except it's on the other side :

qZECvAT.jpg

2. Vania helmet

Révélation

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "revenant vania helmet"

Only for the two pointy bits at the bottom that could evoke vampire teeth :

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "raziel"

3. "Reave" ability

4. Revenant's introduction

Révélation

We first see him buried underground, struggling to get out. Also, he is always right next to a lake...

yWqAPg8.jpg

Raziel was thrown into the Lake of the Dead for having evolved earlier than his master, Kain. Thus, he was burned alive but ended up being resurrected (sort of) by the Elder God, a squid-like creature ruling the Underworld.

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "soul reaver intro"

Finally, when we help Revenant out, he appears in a spectral form, which to me could be analogous to Raziel's rebirth.

Here's a clip of the game's intro, if you want to check it out :

Révélation

Just wanted to share my opinion with you, LoK : Soul Reaver being one of the best PSX games I've played.

Edited by Biomod1150

• 5 years later...
On 2018-09-01 at 1:04 PM, ----G---- said:

I'm only saying that some parts of Revenant could have been, to an extent, inspired from Raziel. I may be wrong, of course. But indeed, whether or not you see a connection is subjective

I believe back around the time he was announced he went by the internal name vlad or something. There's definitely some clear vampire inspiration. Maybe it's intentional and maybe it isn't, but the fact he uses the spectral theme and vampire theme absolutely makes it reasonable to associate him with our fair pawn and messiah Raziel.

Wisp was another frame I saw compared to him, but that's mostly just the facewrap.

LoK is great, I'll take any excuse to be reminded of it so thanks. 😌