Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[request] Nyx Chaos sound effect high pitch echo change

Sailears

I find the high pitched echo after effect of the cast sound effect for Chaos to be pretty uncomfortable on the ears. Edit - to be as precise as possible the initial whoosh of the cast is fine, it's only the upward spiking echoed after effects of the cast that is disturbing.

It's getting to the point where this single sound effect is negatively affecting my enjoyment of this frame, the rest of which so far has been a lot of fun (the visual effect of absorb is another topic though...), and after a few minutes of playing I'm almost clenching my teeth every time casting Chaos.

It would be nice if this sound effect could be changed to something more pleasant - certainly by eliminating that high pitch whining echo after effect for starters, if possible. 🙂

For the record I don't want to reduce the overall game sound effect volume because it affects everything, and I also read that sadly it's against the rules to replace sound files otherwise I'd do this myself with a suitable alternative.

Edited by Sailears

I never play with Nyx so i have no idea how annoying the sound is, but I had a similar problem with Harrow "Penance" sound.

I created a thread in the forum, and they changed it two weeks later. So I hope it gets changed if it's affecting your enjoyment of the frame.

Good luck Tenno !

Thank you, that's great to know.

For the record I'm new to warframe having only picked up the game a week or so ago, and I'm the kind of player who ends up only maining a few frames at the exclusion of others (I still plan to rank all of them eventually for mastery, but after that I will never again touch many of them, either due to gameplay or thematics - eg I know I'll never enjoy frames like nidus or rhino). The same is true in every game I play, very focused on a few characters or classes and ignore all others. In mass effect 3 multiplayer eventually I only played around 5 different characters and rotated between them. No I don't get bored of this. 🙂

I was drawn to Nyx having been a mesmer main (and when I say main I mean literally only character, have no others) in guild wars 2 for the last six years, and after watching many videos of all the frames knew for certain this would end up in my final roster. Yes I bought the prime pack because when I'm certain of something I will go straight for it, and overall aside from this issue, have been more than satisfied (here I have to give DE a lot of respect for making things directly available rather than loot box rng. As a player who in most games usually only wants a few things and knows what they want, this is a great model).

Reason I'm saying this is because I hope it highlights the issue further, when essentially the main frame I intend to enjoy is sadly hampered by this sound effect. In a similar way I cannot play chronomancer anymore in gw2 because the updated alacrity sound effect is extremely uncomfortable. Just highlighting a similar issue in a different game and the kind of effect it has. 

If I could be specific, it would be rounding off the pulses (currently the echoes seem to spike up repeatedly after the initial cast, ending on highs), or having a single longer pulse (wub kind of sound) at a lower frequency or again rounding off down/smoothing out the end, eliminating the echo and literally "toning it down". But I don't want to make specific suggestions because I there are many possibilities that would be comfortable all of which I can't list off the top of my head. All I know is the current effect isn't. For reference many of the sound effects for mesmer in gw2 are enjoyable and some could be similar applied to Chaos - eg some of the lower more gentle pulse sounds of mirage cloak - not all as there are several sound effects for it and one or two of them are also uncomfortable with a high pitched squeak but it's more subtle in any case. Or perhaps just a smooth short duration "hum" kind of after effect rather than a long pulse or series of pulses (less variation in dynamics). I dunno as said there's a lot of possibilities.

(and as mentioned in the OP, being quite sensitive to sound and visual effects, I also find the visual effect of absorb far too busy/too much "noise", and as much as I intend to use the assimilate augment in the future once unlocking it, am currently thinking the excessive particles is going to be an issue for me - at least with every video I've seen of it it gives me a headache trying to aim or see anything going on with assimilate active. It's kind of like playing an mmo like guild wars 2 but zoomed all the way into your character - where the spell effects are just insane and you can't see anything properly. At least in games like that you play zoomed far out in third person, but warframe seems to have mmo style noisy spell effects with close range tps camera. I may make a separate topic for that in the future but at the moment it's ok with absorb because of being stationary, so visibility doesn't matter)

Edited by Sailears