Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestions To Make Survival Mod Even Better

PaperAlien

First of all, I've like to say that Survival mode is really fun, but right now I think it's oriented too much towards simply killing everything.

What if we added a pod like in defence, that isn't essential? It would be some kind of oxygen releasing device that slows down the oxygen loss. Notice I said slows down, not completely stop. You can't expect to win simply by keeping this thing alive, you'll still rely largely on killing enemies. If the pod is destroyed, oxygen loss increases.

Alternatively, have the Lotus oxygen drops (the big blue cans that you activate, not the ones dropped by enemies) spawn in more exposed areas, and give their oxygen supply over a period of time (maybe 30 seconds?), during which there will be a net increase of oxygen levels, but this period can be cut short if the oxygen tank is destroyed early (oxygen tanks would probably have less health than a proper defense pod).

Either of these changes would add to gameplay diversity, giving incentive to defend objectives as well as killing things quickly.

Also, oxygen drops could be a bit more consistent. Ideally, giving oxygen per kill (maybe varying depending on enemy type) would be the best, and also makes sense (Grineer casually not giving some of their troops oxygen...), but the numbers would have to be adjusted, unless it's possible to have drops of less than 1%.

Edited by PaperAlien

First of all, I've like to say that Survival mode is really fun, but right now I think it's oriented too much towards simply killing everything.

What if we added a pod like in defence, that isn't essential? It would be some kind of oxygen releasing device that slows down the oxygen loss. Notice I said slows down, not completely stop. You can't expect to win simply by keeping this thing alive, you'll still rely largely on killing enemies. If the pod is destroyed, oxygen loss increases.

Alternatively, have the Lotus oxygen drops (the big blue cans that you activate, not the ones dropped by enemies) spawn in more exposed areas, and give their oxygen supply over a period of time (maybe 30 seconds?), during which there will be a net increase of oxygen levels, but this period can be cut short if the oxygen tank is destroyed early (oxygen tanks would probably have less health than a proper defense pod).

Either of these changes would add to gameplay diversity, giving incentive to defend objectives as well as killing things quickly.

Also, oxygen drops could be a bit more consistent. Ideally, giving oxygen per kill (maybe varying depending on enemy type) would be the best, and also makes sense (Grineer casually not giving some of their troops oxygen...), but the numbers would have to be adjusted, unless it's possible to have drops of less than 1%.

No, no, no. It becomes Defence and not Survival. The fact that we need to kill real fast is enough. This would add difficulty and the only time we could reach would be 30 minutes for the TOP players. 

Really, the idea of this survival mode that currently stands ISN'T truly survival.

In practice it's not much different than playing defense, other than the babysitting ends up being transferred to watching your  life support systems. While I will admit its a bit of a change from playing defense, it still isn't much better in terms of having the freedom of only watching for YOUR survival.

After 10 minutes is over and oxygen drops stop coming, you end up having to rely on the somewhat rare chance of oxygen drops from the enemies. Not really a matter of surviving, more so a chore.

Its somewhat frustrating because survival had so much more potential, but it was reduced to just another variation of defense with a different name.:\

Edited by braggaboom

No, no, no. It becomes Defence and not Survival. The fact that we need to kill real fast is enough. This would add difficulty and the only time we could reach would be 30 minutes for the TOP players. 

I haven't even put any exact numbers in, how do you know it will be more difficult this way? I also explicitly stated that you can't expect to defend the objective and win without also killing things really fast, because the pod will only slow oxygen drain.

But it's more diverse than defense. You can't win it by hiding in a snow globe. You'll have to leave the globe at some point to collect oxygen and open the drops. Meaning invisibility packing frames have a lot more practical use. 

This, especially. Survival mode takes the "offense is the best defense" mentality that is used in most low-mid level defense and makes it into pure offense, which allows more offensive-built frames that are not so top tier to shine. Granted, Nova is still extremely useful here.

With this being a competitor to Defense games, Frost is no longer some "high tier" frame everyone needs to use so hopefully DE can finally be convinced to take a look at the essentially broken frame.

I think DE should explore multikill mechanic (aka kill 3 enemies within 10 second) along with stylish kill award (acrobatic kill) and use it for this mode.

Kill 3 enemies within 10 second grants 50% chance of oxygen drop from the last one killed.

Kill 3 enemies within 5 seconds grants 75% chance of oxygen drop from the last one killed.

Kill 3 enemies within 3 seconds grants 90% chance of oxygen drop from last one killed.

In case of using power to kill the enemies en mass which exceed even the last condition then oxygen drop should be around around 50-75% per enemies.

Acrobatic kill give 80-100% oxygen drop.

Etc.

(All numbers are purely hypothetical, just to show the idea) This will add a skill factor into the gameplay, allow player to increase droprate through specific action.

I'm somewhat torn about adding protecting the tank though but that will curb the offensive-oriented nature of Survival by a few notch and add a bit tactical gameplay into it. Not sure that is good or bad though.

This, especially. Survival mode takes the "offense is the best defense" mentality that is used in most low-mid level defense and makes it into pure offense, which allows more offensive-built frames that are not so top tier to shine. Granted, Nova is still extremely useful here.

Actually, your mistake here is assuming that Survival has any defense at all. You use offense, not because it's the best defense, but because the only goal is to kill things as fast as you can. I've seen a lot of people who seem to fall into this mindset, people bringing defense frames like Vauban and Frost and setting camp up at where the pod would normally be, pretending it's defense. It's not.

But it's more diverse than defense. You can't win it by hiding in a snow globe. You'll have to leave the globe at some point to collect oxygen and open the drops. Meaning invisibility packing frames have a lot more practical use. 

And you've made the same assumption. Survival doesn't actually need you to set up a snow globe in the first place. Once you realise there's no static objective to defend, being fully mobile will probably get you oxygen much faster than staying in one spot and waiting for the enemies to come to you. The role of defensive frames in this mode is entirely to keep teammates alive. I think it could be expanded a bit.