Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thumockti - Fan Concept/redesign

Grinalbi

Heyo guys; long time, no post. Y'all might remember my past concept of Mockrial the shapeshifter... long story short, I grew to REALLY dislike their original design. It was mostly because of the resemblance to Limbo; admittedly I've never played him so he didn't really cross my mind at the time of the original design. I finally went back and revisited my shapeshifter; say hello to the new and improved Thumockti!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This time round I went and took a lot of inspiration from the real life mimic octopus (fun fact: I even got Thumockti from the scientific name Thaumoctopus). Please lemme know what you think!

snFZzlN.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case you haven't seen the original abilities, here they are in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

**The abilities listed below may change later depending on if I get better ideas or not.**

If you all have any suggestions for energy costs or other miscellaneous stats then lemme know!

Sorry if I'm not the best writer lol

Passive: Enemies take a much longer time to notice you and therefore go on alert while in normal form.

1st ability -- Espionage
Thumockti targets an enemy and points their right arm at them. The tentacles stretch to and impale the victim's body, then proceeds to melt them into a black goop which rolls down their arm and covers Thumockti's body. After a few seconds the goop reshapes into the victim and hardens over their body, essentially making them look like their victim. They'll also pick up the victim's weapons and use them until the disguise is broken.
-- As the goop hardens, it will send out a blast of energy that will make surrounding enemies 'forget' they saw you if you were detected and go back into passive mode. This essentially enables them to infiltrate an enemy base as one of their own.
-- Performing bullet jumps/parkour, using your normal weapons, using certain abilities, otherwise performing actions that the enemy would not normally do, etc. will all break your disguise. You CAN attack with the enemy's weapons you've picked up and maintain the disguise, however.
-- The form may be kept on as long as needed, though if you start firing on others and/or break your disguise around enemies, they will go back into hostile mode. There is an energy drain.
-- You cannot steal the form of sentients, robotics, assassins, or bosses.
-- This would be affected by range mods (ex. how far away the enemy can be while being targeted) and efficiency mods.

2nd ability -- Slough
Thumockti sheds off their current disguise, turning it back into a mass of black goop which then launches itself at a nearby enemy of choice. It envelopes them and then, in a fashion much like Espionage, takes on Thumockti's appearance and converts the enemy into an ally who will fight for the tenno. The new ally has medium health and when killed/the ability times out, explodes in a storm of fragments which deals minor puncture damage to any hostiles caught in the radius.
-- It cannot be recast until the current Slough ally is dead.
-- If Slough is cast while there is no current disguise, Thumockti will pierce the chosen enemy like in Espionage, though instead of converting them into a disguise they will immediately be transformed into a Thumockti clone.
-- This would be affected by duration and power mods.

3rd ability -- Cloak and Dagger
*This ability CAN be used while in disguise.*
Thumockti sends out a dark mist which shrouds the vision of enemies within a certain range, making them open to quick take-downs. This is especially useful if you wish to clear out a room in stealth or if you accidentally gave away who you really are...
-- Enemies are not immobilized like with Rest, but they will suffer slowed movement speed and will not be able to easily see Thumockti or his allies.
-- Gun weapons are muffled if fired within the range of Cloak and Dagger, further reducing enemy reactions to Thumockti or his allies.
-- This would be affected by range and duration mods.

4th ability -- Retrogression
Thumockti’s own form is shed away, revealing a grotesque mass of tentacles and fury which works to quickly subdue foes and tear them apart. They are much faster and more agile in this state, rapidly dishing out damage to the enemy before they have a proper chance to react. Instead of using normal weapons in this state they resort to brutally whipping, clawing, and impaling with their many limbs.
-- If you had a disguise active prior to casting Retrogression, it will explode much like Slough does, doing minor puncture damage.
-- This ability relies on energy drain.
-- This would be affected by power, duration, and efficiency mods.

On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn8q1cGlXee/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

On Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1518145118

On ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YXnRd

Edited by Grincubus
Minor edits and cleaning up

3 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

Spoiler with original abilities has white font, making it unreadable. Try removing formatting.

Super sorry about that; I'm in dark mode so I didn't notice any change. Will edit it right away!

EDIT: done. Lemme know if I missed some other format problems!

Edited by Grincubus

26 minutes ago, Grincubus said:

Heyo guys; long time, no post. Y'all might remember my past concept of Mockrial the shapeshifter... long story short, I grew to REALLY dislike their original design. It was mostly because of the resemblance to Limbo; admittedly I've never played him so he didn't really cross my mind at the time of the original design. I finally went back and revisited my shapeshifter; say hello to the new and improved Thumockti!

This time round I went and took a lot of inspiration from the real life mimic octopus (fun fact: I even got Thumockti from the scientific name Thaumoctopus). Please lemme know what you think!

snFZzlN.png

In case you haven't seen the original abilities, here they are in the spoiler below:

Hide contents

**The abilities listed below may change later depending on if I get better ideas or not.**

If you all have any suggestions for energy costs or other miscellaneous stats then lemme know!

Sorry if I'm not the best writer lol

Passive: Enemies take a much longer time to notice you and therefore go on alert while in normal form.

1st ability -- Espionage
Mockrial Thumockti targets an enemy and points their right arm at them. The tentacles stretch to and impale the victim's body, then proceeds to melt them into a black goop which rolls down their arm and covers Mockrial's Thumockti's body. After a few seconds the goop reshapes into the victim and hardens over their body, essentially making them look like their victim. They'll also pick up the victim's weapons and use them until the disguise is broken.
-- As the goop hardens, it will send out a blast of energy that will make surrounding enemies 'forget' they saw you if you were detected and go back into passive mode. This essentially enables them to infiltrate an enemy base as one of their own.
-- Performing bullet jumps/parkour, using your normal weapons, using certain abilities, otherwise performing actions that the enemy would not normally do, etc. will all break your disguise. You CAN attack with the enemy's weapons you've picked up and maintain the disguise, however.
-- The form may be kept on as long as needed, though if you start firing on others and/or break your disguise around enemies, they will go back into hostile mode. There is an energy drain.
-- You cannot steal the form of sentients, robotics, assassins, or bosses.
-- This would be affected by range mods (ex. how far away the enemy can be while being targeted) and efficiency mods.

2nd ability -- Slough
Mockrial Thumockti sheds off their current disguise, turning it back into a mass of black goop which then launches itself at a nearby enemy of choice. It envelopes them and then, in a fashion much like Espionage, takes on Mockrial's Thumockti's appearance and converts the enemy into an ally who will fight for the tenno. The new ally has medium health and when killed/the ability times out, explodes in a storm of fragments which deals minor puncture damage to any hostiles caught in the radius.
-- It cannot be recast until the current Slough ally is dead.
-- If Slough is cast while there is no current disguise, Mockrial Thumockti will pierce the chosen enemy like in Espionage, though instead of converting them into a disguise they will immediately be transformed into a Mockrial Thumockti clone.
-- This would be affected by duration and power mods.

3rd ability -- Cloak and Dagger
*This ability CAN be used while in disguise.*
Mockrial Thumockti sends out a dark mist which shrouds the vision of enemies within a certain range, making them open to quick take-downs. This is especially useful if you wish to clear out a room in stealth or if you accidentally gave away who you really are...
-- Enemies are not immobilized like with Rest, but they will suffer slowed movement speed and will not be able to easily see Mockrial Thumockti or his allies.
-- Gun weapons are muffled if fired within the range of Cloak and Dagger, further reducing enemy reactions to Mockrial Thumockti or his allies.
-- This would be affected by range and duration mods.

4th ability -- Retrogression
Mockrial's Thumockti’s own form is shed away, revealing a grotesque mass of tentacles and fury which works to quickly subdue foes and tear them apart. They are much faster and more agile in this state, rapidly dishing out damage to the enemy before they have a proper chance to react. Instead of using normal weapons in this state they resort to brutally whipping, clawing, and impaling with their many limbs.
-- If you had a disguise active prior to casting Retrogression, it will explode much like Slough does, doing minor puncture damage.
-- This ability relies on energy drain.
-- This would be affected by power, duration, and efficiency mods.

On Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bn8q1cGlXee/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

On Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1518145118

Definitely an interesting take on a stealth frame.

It sounds like it could be fun (way more fun than go loki, use invisibility, win).

The ulti sounds awesome, probably my favourite part.

The design is a tad bit too similar to Ivara (in my opinion), but I can see the original inspiration of the octopus in this

26 minutes ago, HugintheCrow said:

Definitely an interesting take on a stealth frame.

It sounds like it could be fun (way more fun than go loki, use invisibility, win).

The ulti sounds awesome, probably my favourite part.

The design is a tad bit too similar to Ivara (in my opinion), but I can see the original inspiration of the octopus in this

Thanks!

Haha, I tried making them more different. Ivara is another frame I haven't spent any time with; I can maybe see it in the helmet with that big hood thingamajig...