Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I can not select anything in the Gear Wheel!

Naztalgic_

Question

So I logged in today and was doing my daily Sortie mission when I came across a Frame Fighter Fragment and I decided to scan it. When I pressed down on the D-pad to pull up the gear wheel and move over to the slot my scanner is on and press X on Ps4 Dual Shock Controller it would not swap to the scanner. I pressed it multiple times and nothing. I then decided to press all the buttons and the only ones to work were R1 which goes over to emotes and down on the D-pad which exits the Gear Wheel menu. I then checked steam configs on controller and everything is the same as it was last night. I then unplugged and replugged the controller with no success of the gear wheel working. I restart my pc and went to Plains of Eidolon to see if I can use the Archwing. That did not work either. Can someone please help me? 

Edit: I just went to swap the items around to see if that would help, but now I can not even put any items in empty slots! What's going on?

Edit 2: Issue seems to be only from Steam Client. I redownload off their website and it works fine.
Edit 3: Upvote and emote this post, if you're having the same issue. It'll stay at the top so DE sees it!

Edited by Naztalgic_

2 minutes ago, (PS4)OberLoki said:

Gear wheel is selected using  Square on the PS4 controller emotes are X

After the Main Line update it got swapped to X. I mentioned that I pressed every button, so if it did get swapped back to Square it still did not work.

I'm having the same issue, came to the forums to see if it was just me. Yesterday played with controller without an issue. Today login and can't use the gear wheel or emote wheel. I can pull up the wheel, I can scroll through and highlight anything. Despite being able to highlight things I cannot activate anything or select anything. Did you find out the issue and how to fix it?

21 hours ago, Battle.Pants said:

I'm having the same issue, came to the forums to see if it was just me. Yesterday played with controller without an issue. Today login and can't use the gear wheel or emote wheel. I can pull up the wheel, I can scroll through and highlight anything. Despite being able to highlight things I cannot activate anything or select anything. Did you find out the issue and how to fix it?

I redownloaded the game off their website for the time being. Still no fix from the Steam client though. All we can do is have more people comment that they are having the same issue and hopefully they look at this post. Any upvotes would help to make our issue heard.

I found a workaround.

The issue is related to steam's big picture overlay - I think its the same thing that prevents mouse interaction with the interface while big picture overlay is turned on.

I have resolved both the mouse and the inability to use the item wheel by disabling the overlay. Steam controllers still work with your unique game configurations, although you lost the convenience of pressing the steam button and having configuration readily available (you have to go in to steam an open big picture separate from the game in order to configure controller settings).

Sadly, this will not resolve anything for those using in-home streaming, as that seems to require big picture mode.

DE needs to change the way items are selected on the wheel to be similar as it was before so that we don't have to deal with this. It seems they changed it to work like an emulated mouse-click - which doesn't work with big picture overlay.

SOLUTION

To turn off the big picture overlay, go to Steam drop down --> Settings, then in the In-Game section, uncheck "Use big picture overlay... from the desktop" (see image)

JTjqSAP.png

1 hour ago, Battle.Pants said:

I found a workaround.

The issue is related to steam's big picture overlay - I think its the same thing that prevents mouse interaction with the interface while big picture overlay is turned on.

I have resolved both the mouse and the inability to use the item wheel by disabling the overlay. Steam controllers still work with your unique game configurations, although you lost the convenience of pressing the steam button and having configuration readily available (you have to go in to steam an open big picture separate from the game in order to configure controller settings).

Sadly, this will not resolve anything for those using in-home streaming, as that seems to require big picture mode.

DE needs to change the way items are selected on the wheel to be similar as it was before so that we don't have to deal with this. It seems they changed it to work like an emulated mouse-click - which doesn't work with big picture overlay.

SOLUTION

To turn off the big picture overlay, go to Steam drop down --> Settings, then in the In-Game section, uncheck "Use big picture overlay... from the desktop" (see image)

JTjqSAP.png

I'm here to report that I tried this, and it made absolutely no difference.  I still can't use any gear from the radial menu regardless of the status of "Use the Big Picture Overlay..."

12 hours ago, FredVIII1454 said:

I'm here to report that I tried this, and it made absolutely no difference.  I still can't use any gear from the radial menu regardless of the status of "Use the Big Picture Overlay..."

Be sure you close out of Warframe, and then open warframe outside of big picture mode.

Sorry it didnt work for you.

I had the same issue when Chimera was released. I push the D pad where I normally had access to emotes and gear and still can't access them. I ended up having to keybind them to my number pad 1- 9. It has nothing to do with Steam. I would imagine the latest patch or whatever somehow reset or messed up controller button configuration. I've never had this happen to me on Warframe on controller and I've been playing off and on for 4 years.

Edited by anighma

11 hours ago, Bluemaxx said:

Same problem here.

Playing through my steam link with steam controller and have no way of interacting with the gear wheel at any point in the game.

A workaround for steam controllers:

You can bind the "Gear hotkey 1-8" actions to something. This skips the menu and lets you at least use 8 items.

On 2018-10-20 at 8:13 AM, Battle.Pants said:

Be sure you close out of Warframe, and then open warframe outside of big picture mode.

Sorry it didnt work for you.

Thanks for reply.  I'm happy to report that *NOT* launching from "Big Picture Mode" did the trick.  Again, thanks.

Same happened to me right after the chimera update using a PS4 dualshock. My gear doesn't work whether I'm using the client or not and i tried keybindings but they dont work either. Going to redownload steam and see what happens. Fingers crossed 

Edited by OgreSkunkApe
Typo

A little update, gear wheel still working, when warframe isn't run in big picture mode.

Only problem now is that the switch pro controller doesn't automatically turn it self off, not too much of a gripe considering it's battery life.  But the controller won't charge when connected to the computer, you will need to plug it into a AC adapter to charge.

A little heads up for those using or planning to use a Switch pro Controller.