The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

General concept art dump, because my threads keep dying

Reaar

Time flies, and so my threads. As in, a perfect parabola into the archive. As I absolutely hate how this forum handles "spoiler"-boxes (seriously, why can't I put them inside one another?) and since there's probably going to be long breaks inbetween anyway, I'm just gonna do art dump threads.

Opening this thread up are these infested concepts, much more directly inspired by the Ancients and the infested arboriforms of the derelict. These came about during a conversation with Unus after I had asked him for help with gameplay ideas, since in the end all design is usually based around that.

ancient_infested_strain_by_dertodesbote-

Most of the names are pretty self-explanatory, I think. "Spectator" is supposed to be a melee based mutalist drone, while "Guardian" (shield granting support) and "Beholder" (walking death-orb) are supposed to be Moa equivalents. The Maggot is simply a Runner replacement.

Next is everyones favourite golden $&*^head. A very blurry Ballas. Because I originally drew him very small. C'est la vie.

ballas_by_dertodesbote-dcqkgzt.png

Something that also was over on reddit is my Eidolon Battalyst, with a Dargyn turret replacing its arm.

eidolon_battalyst_by_dertodesbote-dcpszh

Next up is a weapon concept, for the infested Ignis "Aculaeta". Basically a bee-gun, while the trigger is held it releases a nanoswarm that swirls around the user in a short range (low corrosive damage, high status) but when it is released they shoot forward into the aimed direction (high heat damage, scales with consumed ammo and inflicted corrosive procs).

aculaeta_by_dertodesbote-dcpwyrz.png

Lastly I have this very slight redesign for the Napalm, now having a short range flamethrower with their current attack instead being a special power. The vents on the shoulder are also a weakpoint ala Ruk, disarming them when damaged enough.

napalm_redesign_by_dertodesbote-dcqkgtt.

I like that ancient charger idea. I'm not so sure about the Juggernaut and Crawlers, because the Ancients are, well, Ancient, and those breeds are apparently relatively new. Juggernauts were made my Alad V (as revealed in the 'Black Seed Scourge tactical alert) and the Crawlers were from Corpus. The Ancient design is from the Orokin era, so neither breed existed. But Grineer were around in Orokin times, so it's possible Chargers showed up there too. Maybe modern-day Grineer are too different to make those breeds of Charger, but they're still knocking around somewhere. Thus, Ancient Chargers.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Loza03:

I like that ancient charger idea. I'm not so sure about the Juggernaut and Crawlers, because the Ancients are, well, Ancient, and those breeds are apparently relatively new. Juggernauts were made my Alad V (as revealed in the 'Black Seed Scourge tactical alert) and the Crawlers were from Corpus. The Ancient design is from the Orokin era, so neither breed existed. But Grineer were around in Orokin times, so it's possible Chargers showed up there too. Maybe modern-day Grineer are too different to make those breeds of Charger, but they're still knocking around somewhere. Thus, Ancient Chargers.

Hmmm. I don't think I agree? I tend to think of Infested forms as roles instead. So while it is true that Crawlers are made from Crewmen, that is because, well, they are made from Crewmen; not because Crewmen are an absolutely integral part of making a Crawler. While an Ancient Crawler wouldn't have been Corpus, you'd still call it a Crawler because that's what it does.

Same with the Juggernaut. While the current one is undoubtably a Mutalist creation, IMO if it occupies the same role there's no reason for it to not be a juggernaut.

Your idea is of course right if what's in the game is absolute canon as is; but personally I always thought that the reason why we never see forms made from other factions was mostly just it being too much work to create models for too little pay-off.

1 hour ago, Reaar said:

Hmmm. I don't think I agree? I tend to think of Infested forms as roles instead. So while it is true that Crawlers are made from Crewmen, that is because, well, they are made from Crewmen; not because Crewmen are an absolutely integral part of making a Crawler. While an Ancient Crawler wouldn't have been Corpus, you'd still call it a Crawler because that's what it does.

Same with the Juggernaut. While the current one is undoubtably a Mutalist creation, IMO if it occupies the same role there's no reason for it to not be a juggernaut.

Your idea is of course right if what's in the game is absolute canon as is; but personally I always thought that the reason why we never see forms made from other factions was mostly just it being too much work to create models for too little pay-off.

Maybe. In fairness, we don't have much infested lore, and that's mostly my interpretation of it. And I'm sure your reason is the 'out-of-universe' reason behind it.