The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

randome crash while freeroaming

fr4gb4ll

this is something also happening on the plains sometimes and is not related to any overclocking of the GC (i sure know of this issue and also how to prevent this). this started to happen after the main update before fortuna and was reported several times already.

this time, i was solo in the valis exploring, doing missions, getting standing by k-driving, spelunking and getting resources when, after speaking to on of the mission-givers on the map and exiting the missions-screen that the game froze and i only could kill the process after waiting for more than 5 minutes. the system event log shows an "illegal_opcode" as reason for  the crash which pretty much means you have a bad code segment in the program and/or failing in the handling of this particular exception. the game log also stated something interesting - it looks like the game was still running after the graphic frozed up, for it stated that i was killed by some drone (and i sure was being shot at when i talked to the NPC). it also show that after several minutes the client was killed and all game resources were correctly freed after. i keep a backup of it if you have need of it, but refrain from sending it to the support for now. the log also shows something that might be connected the physX being the part that caused this crash, but since i'm not fully sure what term you use in the logfile, i can't be sure - though physX is known for acting up with warframe in the past.

anyway, since i'm pretty sure that everything i had earned in those round about 2 hours of valis-roaming is lost (i'll try to check this when i start the game again after i'm written this), i suggest that you implement something of a safeguard for players who crashes - an occasional data correlation/backup from the client to the server every few minutes (like 10 or even 5 minutes), so that not too much efford is lost due to bugs. judging from the logfile size of a 2,3 hours session of warframe this would be not too much data to save temporarily (the EE-log is about 3MB, and most of the data in there isn't needed to reconstruct what rewards were lost). ofc, the correlation should be made in a way that prevent manipulation as best as possible - e.g. via encryption. it sure isn't your intention to make players afraid of being out on the map for more then a few minutes, which is precisely what such a reward loss is doing to them (we had that issue back on the plains too, remember?).

EDIT: so after restarting the game, it seems that most items and standing (at least those thing i can cross check via inventory and profile) are saved to the account - this might be because the game only froze the graphic and not crashed without being able to transfere data back to the server... so at least this might sooth players who also suffered such issue. it also could be that you already have a safeguard active (in which case it would be nice if you state this clearly to the players). a good way to not let player in the dark about possible reward losses, would be if you implement a popup window with the rewards earned in the last mission before the "unregulary" ending of the game client - you know such as those "want to reconnect" question or the permanent nagging screen about dissolving ones too-much-riven mods ^^)   this wouldn't be to much trouble to do and would certainly be a QoL feature.

Edited by fr4gb4ll
addition