Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bit Of Hate On The Aoe Nuke... Constructive Suggestions

linxcat

Ok, so me friends and I are seeing way too many ult's that are an AoE nuke and nothing else:

Rhino

Mag

Ember

Excalibur

Saryn

Frost
Volt

Ash

Banshee

Nyx (as of latest update)

As you can see, it's more than half of the Warframes. Given the unique features that  a warframe selection should bring, we believe that there should be a little more variety to warframe abilities in general, but primarily the ultimates.

Here is a list of everything we could brainstorm... feel free to post with additional ideas:

Random elemental effects

Melee flurry (single target nuke)

applying bullet effects (i.e. Nova putting antimatter on them)

powerful AoE status effects without the damage

Size and life buff, perhaps speed decrease (LoL Nasus)

Melee range increase

Armor removal (Mag rips off grineer suits)

Attraction of enemies to walls (violently)

single target grab and throw (like a baseball pitch)

Whirlwind (Diablo II Barbarian style)

deployable obstacles (wallrunnable and blocks enemies... destructible)

apply toxic ancient's AoE cloud to an enemy (that would affect it's allies)

possesion (cross Ash's disappearance ult with mind control and get a timed control of enemy units, transferring on it's death)

More ideas:

An ability that does nothing but buff/"ultify" your next cast of the other three and makes it cost nothing (versatility)

spawning some roller sized bots that have pistols to run around harrasing the enemy

A large summoned mech (secondary AI warframe) that can assist in battle

"Excalibur could get a massive serrated blade skana, orokin armor to reduce/nullify damage, and a speed boost to go around for x seconds slicing up everything" (LukeAura)

an afterimage that follows you actions just behind, and doubles your damage (he hits too) and/or acts as a decoy

time-warp abilities (AoE slow/stop, and could take Frost's stop and Volt's speed)

an ability that revived the target if they die in the next x seconds and revives them with y% life and shields

single target sunder armor

make iron skin bestowable

an AoE vampire field that applies flat damage to all targets in it with percent lifesteal to the caster (not well of life)

"force-leap" (jump at slash enemy across large distance)

what amounts to a hard-light shield that you can move around while carrying (summon tower shield)

Edited by linxcat

Armor removal (Mag rips off grineer suits)

Oh hawt damn! Looks like that commander is going commando. 

Some aoe nukes are alright, but others should really be changed. Excalibur is really the balanced warrior/melee unit, he shouldn't really have a radial nuke, especially a radial nuke.

Ultimates should still be the save yourself button, but there needs to be more to it. Excalibur could get a massive serrated blade skana, orokin armor to reduce/nullify damage, and a speed boost to go around for x seconds slicing up everything he can. 

Ok, so me friends and I are seeing way too many ult's that are an AoE nuke and nothing else:

Rhino

Mag

Ember

Excalibur

Saryn

Frost

Volt

Ash

Banshee

Nyx (as of latest update)

Rhino - AoE Damage and Stun

Mag - Not really used for damage, it's a AoE stun

Ember - Damage is focused to a few targets until they die, and then switches to a new target. It is not "aoe"

Excalibur - Radial Javelin interacts with Mag's bullet attractor (Synergy)

Saryn - Damage Over Time

Frost - Needs a rework

Volt - Destroys environmental machines - needs tweaking

Ash - Did you really list Ash? Have you even played him?

Banshee - Long duration stagger paired with damage

Nyx (as of latest update) - Invincibility &causes enemies to attack her

You are trying to exaggerate your point when you miss the flavor each of these abilities bring to the table.

Rhino - AoE Damage and Stun

Mag - Not really used for damage, it's a AoE stun

Ember - Damage is focused to a few targets until they die, and then switches to a new target. It is not "aoe"

Excalibur - Radial Javelin interacts with Mag's bullet attractor (Synergy)

Saryn - Damage Over Time

Frost - Needs a rework

Volt - Destroys environmental machines - needs tweaking

Ash - Did you really list Ash? Have you even played him?

Banshee - Long duration stagger paired with damage

Nyx (as of latest update) - Invincibility &causes enemies to attack her

You are trying to exaggerate your point when you miss the flavor each of these abilities bring to the table.

I did indeed list Ash. I own ash and he is to this day my primary warframe. His ult kills multiple surrounding units while rendering him completely invulnerable, in my mind that qualifies as an AoE nuke. (That being said I love Ash and don't ever want him to change, he's just part of the list). And regardless of the fact that each warframe has other status effects associated with their abilities, there is no way to say that the massive quantity of damage they incur doesn't qualify as a nuke to the surrounding area. (Just for the record, I can't in any way agree with the thought that Mag could ever be "used as a stun"... seriously? she can clear rooms of infested with a single button press, clearing waves of defense in mere seconds)

Don't worry man the last 2 new frames and the upcoming 3rd have been avoiding AoE nuke as 4 (Yes nova's 4 isn't an AoE nuke unless you have shot an enemy that was next to another enemy who was next to another.)

I believe DE said necros 4 was to raise all the dead enemies currently on the map. Not an AoE nuke. So all is good, DE is trying to make every frame unique so I doubt there will be any AoE nukes for awhile.

Edited by RustyNaps

Don't worry man the last 2 new frames and the upcoming 3rd have been avoiding AoE nuke as 4 (Yes nova's 4 isn't an AoE nuke unless you have shot an enemy that was next to another enemy who was next to another.)

I believe DE said necros 4 was to raise all the dead enemies currently on the map. Not an AoE nuke. So all is good, DE is trying to make every frame unique so I doubt there will be any AoE nukes for awhile.

That's true, and I think that's a very good step in the right direction. They are definitely getting better and better at designing warframes. However with the patches to warframe lately (especially Ember still being 4 variations of AoE fire) I think there could easily have been a more complete re-design rather than a rebalance that changed too little for my liking, personally. Especially in higher difficulties where utility is king - I think it's much more compelling to have interesting tactical abilities rather than various ways to deal damage to multiple enemies and suppress their movement (which is the majority of what I'm seeing)

Edited by linxcat

A couple of those, including bladestorm, WoF, and Radial Javelin don't really function like AoE nukes, and a few more of them are primarily used for CC. Saryn, Rhino, Mag(although this is mainly used for CC as well), Volt, and frost have AoE nukes with varying utility and I agree that they really need to come up with something more creative for powers. Trinities "press 4 for god mode" is pretty boring and uncreative as well and Nova's ult essential functions as an AoE nuke (and the best one around) but with utility rolled in to it.

Some AoE nukes are fine, especially on dedicated nukers like Saryn and Nova but they really went over the top with the AoE.

Some AoE nukes are fine, especially on dedicated nukers like Saryn and Nova but they really went over the top with the AoE.

Exactly my sentiments, I think there could be more "aw sweet!!!" moments when using powers, and that there need to be more tapping of that potential for warframes both past and future