Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy Unique Languages Are A Mistake

-WARP-Xaero

I'm just going to throw this out there since I haven't heard it discussed and I'm not sure why nobody has a problem with this...

I think giving the grineer and corpus their own languages is a mistake. Right now the Grineer are what some people might call "Ohshi-men". Their entire purpose is to go "OH SHI-..." and then die, so the player feels cool and badass. When the Grineer say things like "I think we've got 'em surrounded." or "Kill him." and then you butcher them, you feel really awesome. When the Grineer will say "hasKLDHFLASKHDFas" and we have no idea what that means, it will have absolutely no impact on the player.

I know the devs seem really set on this unique languages thing so I don't expect this to affect anything but I just thought I'd state my opinion.

I completely disagree. I find them saying the same 5 things over and over in english very grating. I'd much rather them shout in a made up language. It's also easier to localize that way, since they don't need to re-record for each language, you just keep the fake one.

There's also the suspension of disbelief to account for. Why would people be speaking recognizable english 1000 years in the future?

There's also the suspension of disbelief to account for. Why would people be speaking recognizable english 1000 years in the future?

Why not? I mean, Lotus does and always will. (Well, she'll speak any language that there exists a localization for? Does that count?)

Not really. Lotus sort of needs to speak our language because she says stuff we need to understand without subtitles distracting us. That's an acceptable break from "reality" for the sake of convenience. The Corpus and Grineer don't need to communicate beyond "I'm angry!" and "that hurt".

On that note PGO had a talk with Rebecca a while back and the subject of different voice packs came up, and she was for the idea. I would personally use a "Lotus speaks Tenno" pack.

"I think we have him surrounded!", says the lone Grineer standing right in front of me.

Day 1, dialogue was the main thing in this game that gve me the "F2P vibes". It sounds extremely rushed, mostly considering how practically none of the spoken lines are ever revelant to anything.