Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"take Cover" Like In Ghost Recon

Gryphticon

Maybe I'd play the game 200 hours more if they added that, seriously, it just looks like in CoD where you need to crouch and try to take cover and it doesn't even look natural. I suggest that you add a little text when you're close to a object that can be used as cover that says "Click C to take Cover". Then you could click C again to get out of cover or click Space to be able to get up and shoot then when you let Space go, you go back down.

This would be really useful when in high level situations where when you get up, the warframe is too exposed and thus you can get shot easily. This could be used as a alternative to Frost Snow globe if the enemies come from one direction.

no. the devs said that they will NOT use cover like that. they want to have more mobility-based combat, not cover camping

ps: if you stand on the left side of a door opening (or on the right side of a crate) you can already effectively use it as cover by simply only having a part of your frame visible and your gun around the corner

Edited by Alighierian

I guess you're right if when you say "camping missions" you mean doing countless acrobatic feats to get around in a small area. Defense and Survival Missions are pretty hectic. There are hardly any good vantage points on defense maps and mobs can easily swarm the artifact if you don't kill them quickly. Survival missions will have you doing triple somersaults to kill as many enemies as you can for oxygen. So, never. never-ever-ever-ever. Fish AI!

i honestly would hate a cover system.. it takes all the fun out, this game in particular. one of the special things about this game is that it doesn't have one, because once you add one it's pretty boring: cover, peek over, shoot, repeat

DE has said NO to a cover mechanic for a few reasons:
1) Slows down gameplay
2) Removes the fluidity of combat
3) Brings up balancing issues.

Why is number 3 one of the biggest ones:
Which do you balance around: The ones taking cover or the ones not taking cover.
If you balance around people not taking cover than taking cover will make you essentially invincible as you just slowly make your way through a level without ever getting hurt.  This just makes the game painfully easily and boring if you decide to use cover.
If you balance around people using cover then you make not using cover suicide.  Why? Because in order to make the enemies a challange for the people using cover you have to make the enemies all hit like a ton of bricks, meaning if you stick your head out of cover for any length of time you WILL die.  Forget ever using acrobatics or melee'ing enemies, you'll die well before you can ever reach them.

Sorry to be off topic, but I have no idea how to change my profile picture. Is it something unlockable?

It doesn't have to be something you have to toggle. It can be done by simply changing your pose when you're up a wall. So you sorta cling to the wall when you run into it, or cling to chest-high walls when crouching up to one (though there are no chest-high walls...). Like how Cryengine got their cover system to work. Maybe? I'm still sorta against it the way you describe the mechanics.

Edited by Cunshmack

Actually it can be very useful. For protection and stealth. I'm for it.

solution: duck behind a crate or around a corner, you'll be fine

DE has said NO to a cover mechanic for a few reasons:

1) Slows down gameplay

2) Removes the fluidity of combat

3) Brings up balancing issues.

Why is number 3 one of the biggest ones:

Which do you balance around: The ones taking cover or the ones not taking cover.

If you balance around people not taking cover than taking cover will make you essentially invincible as you just slowly make your way through a level without ever getting hurt.  This just makes the game painfully easily and boring if you decide to use cover.

If you balance around people using cover then you make not using cover suicide.  Why? Because in order to make the enemies a challange for the people using cover you have to make the enemies all hit like a ton of bricks, meaning if you stick your head out of cover for any length of time you WILL die.  Forget ever using acrobatics or melee'ing enemies, you'll die well before you can ever reach them.

exactly!

Maybe I'd play the game 200 hours more if they added that, seriously, it just looks like in CoD where you need to crouch and try to take cover and it doesn't even look natural. I suggest that you add a little text when you're close to a object that can be used as cover that says "Click C to take Cover". Then you could click C again to get out of cover or click Space to be able to get up and shoot then when you let Space go, you go back down.

This would be really useful when in high level situations where when you get up, the warframe is too exposed and thus you can get shot easily. This could be used as a alternative to Frost Snow globe if the enemies come from one direction.

Aww hell no he didn't just suggest that bullS#&$!

Edited by Gigatron-Prime

In all seriousness, Cover system just plainly doesn't work. Back in the day of ME3MP, one can spot a newbies off the bat when he takes cover. In the end, mobility matters more than actual defensive benefit from cover. All vet players simply use right hand advantage to increase mobility, defense against damage, and simply kill everything.

Same thing in Warframe. Just less effective.

However, cover system will greatly benefit the stealth system (not that it's needed, Dishonored just use LoS and FPS without actual action of taking cover).

Edited by neKroMancer