The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saving / Loading Builds Possible?

fmultimedia

Newbie question: is there any way I can save complete build in-game so I can load it later? I'm currently playing with Excalibur and Ash both, with completely different loadouts, from guns, melee weapon down to sentinel. It's a real pain having to switch item by item every single time I wanna change characters. Any way I can do that automatically?

The only downside: when you attempt to upgrade a mod, an error message may pop up that it exceeds the capacity of $x, and you have to go back and remove the darn thing from that one weapon that you really don't use any more but forgot to sell.

Well, knowing that the same mod can be used simultaneously by two by two different items is something! Though I assume that doesn't apply for sentinel gums? But what I really wanted was builds, really. Doesn't sound that hard to implement and make life so much easier. Thanks anyway.

Well, knowing that the same mod can be used simultaneously by two by two different items is something! Though I assume that doesn't apply for sentinel gums? But what I really wanted was builds, really. Doesn't sound that hard to implement and make life so much easier. Thanks anyway.

currently, it applied to sentinel weapon too... but looks like it will be fixed. Soon™.

Doesn't sound that hard to implement and make life so much easier. Thanks anyway.

I love it when non-programmers (assumption about you) make claims like that. "Oh it just $X, that should be easy to do, shouldn't take more than $Y!". Even if it were that quick, there's a bunch of other features also being implemented and a whole truckload of things still on to-do or to-discuss lists. But well, can't assume that everyone knows how software development works.

I love it when non-programmers (assumption about you) make claims like that. "Oh it just $X, that should be easy to do, shouldn't take more than $Y!". Even if it were that quick, there's a bunch of other features also being implemented and a whole truckload of things still on to-do or to-discuss lists. But well, can't assume that everyone knows how software development works.

^ This...

On another note, correct me if iam wrong, it seems to me the DE has kinda scattered focus on development and sometimes not properly focusing on things that are important and rather developing new content (new melee weapon #23 era). Like on livestreams back, we've seen this and that, protypes, ideas, confirmations... and months later, we've seen only few things, but new content was only mentioned and its coming like in next update (s2 helmets, scarves, etc).

But we go quite far away from the topic.

Edited by eStecko

On another note, correct me if iam wrong, it seems to me the DE has kinda scattered focus on development and sometimes not properly focusing on things that are important and rather developing new content (new melee weapon #23 era). 

Correcting you ;) For any development project of this magnitude, you're dealing with different teams of developers. One team works on the engine, another on gameplay mechanics, one works on level design, others work on the UI or content (weapons, frames, enemies). Some teams can just produce content a lot quicker since their impact on the overall process is minimal. Adding a new weapon can hardly break the game (maybe the balance, not the game), but adding a feature like builds has a much broader impact.

For example, it hits the database design, the UI and mechanics. That's at least three teams that need some time to work on it, making it harder to plan. While the UI team could probably knock out the interface in a short time, they have to wait for the database guys to finish implementing it before it can be handed to the team that builds the mechanics. Only when that's done, the UI team can get it done. And since it all has to be added in a schedule that also includes a lot of bugfixing, performance tuning and whatnot, one or more of those teams might not get around to it quick.

In the end, it depends on what the overall project leads think is important. Is a change to weapons more important because it will balance the game than a builds system? In the long run, yes.

Edited by MueR

As a matter of fact I have an IT degree, and have worked in the area for a time, but have never worked in a project of "this magnitude" . That's why I said "sounds like". Honestly, from my own experience, this really doesn't sound too complex.

---

Edit:

Actually, they currently already "save builds" in a fashion. After all, when you turn the game off and then start a new session days later, it will remember your last "build". All you need is a button in the current main screen (or, more likely, in the Arsenal screen), reading "save this build". Then it asks a name for it. Then they create a (very simple) data file with that info (probably exactly the same format they already have to use between sessions). Another "Load build" button there, and there we are. Of course, there are some decisions to be made, such as:

1) what happens when you sell a weapon (or mod, or warframe, etc.) that is saved in a build? Does it check every time if it is in a build before selling it? Or when you try to load that build later on, it comes up without that item (not a possibility in the case of whole warframes)?

2) Similar question, with upgrading mods (since it might make some mods too expensive for certain weapons/warframes/sentinels); again, many possibilities here, such as checking and confirming, automatically "unequipping" the mods when the build is loaded and taking you to the mod screen, etc.

3) Save builds "in real time" (as you play and change it)? Or ask when you close a session? Or have builds saved only when you actively press the "save this build" button (probably the best option)?

I do realise these (and probably a bunch of other) questions can be somewhat hairy, but once a decision is made for each of them, implementing them should be really simple - for all levels and teams involved, especially because certainly all standards have already been set. Testing would probably take much longer than actual development.

Edited by fmultimedia

softwar developers are lazy ... fact ^^

Being a newbie programmer, I agree that it's not easy. Just messing with one thing can screw up everything if you're not careful.

Just to be clear:

I don't mean it could be done in a day. I'm just saying that, considering other developments in progress, this feature should be a relatively easy undertaking.

Also, I know it could be MUCH MORE than what I suggested above. Here is an example from Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer (developed by fans) of what would be really cool - it has awesome UI, easy functionalities and rich and detailed information.

http://kalence.drupalgardens.com/me3-builder#23!3403525!2301595!23O53314!AF055