Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Mod Idea

Obliterator2

So, I've thought of this for a while but never got round to posting it, if anyone here has played path of exile, it's pretty much based on the chaos inoculation skill

When I first saw it, I thought it was a pretty pointless skill, but I heard it was extremely popular later in the game and a lot of the high level players used it. It set your maximum health to 1, but made you immune to all chaos damage, which is basically the equivalent of toxic on here

I think it'd be a useful one to have for the infested, for people who keep their shields up and play it safe, but would like to avoid the toxic damage. Levelling up the mod would increase the shield multiplier, up to a maximum which would be low enough to not give you more shield than health you've lost (based on my rhino that's about 170%, so I guess 150% is a good value to use)

Here's the idea summarised -

Maximum health drops to 1

Immune to toxic damage (and any other similar damage if it gets added)

Immune to the disruptor shield drain (and anything else which can do it)

Shield increases by 5% per level, with 10 levels max

An increased chance of resisting knockdown would also be cool, but isn't that important

What do you guys think? :P

Yes, I know of this. 

It's nice, would add a bit of flavour, but there are some notable flaws.

CI was more 'capable' on PoE because it was limited to potential by class type.

In Warframe, we would be able to utilize it well with any frame, though some like Rhino and Frost with exceptionally high shields would benefit better.

(and mag's shield restore might be a bit much)

----------

Removing Disruptor Drain? >>> Effectively adding a buffer for shields that CI doesn't actually give, nor do I think it should if it worked here.

Shield Increase >>> Yet another buffer that doesn't naturally exist for CI, but we already have other methods to it.

What about melees that ignore shields >>> This could use some addressing. Since CI is essentially a method to rely purely on your shield rather than your health, this maaaaay need to be negated, as well.

CI's role >>> CI does not actually make any player stronger by default, but instead simply changes the way the player builds.

It exists more for convenience than anything.

CI was never 'necessary' for anything. It simply added an option to builds.

Since every frame relies on shields, whether it's a hp-based tank or not, this would actually just be a straight-up benefit to the system. Whether this is a good or bad thing, I'm not perfectly sure.

It would simply be like replacing the Vitality mod and making toxics/direct hp damage irrelevant, but shields get a bigger role.

However, Warframe also applies hp-only armour, which complicates things a bit.

----------

Other than that, could be fun. Would need some stress-testing to see how twisted it is with a full shield-based build, though.

(many frames already rely purely on shields)

Edited by LadyScootaloo

Completely broken.

Shields are the only defense in this game needed, and you want to DOUBLE them?

So you basically want to a double boost to the only metric that actually matters in return for a "tradeoff" that actually has no REAL downside because health mitigation Warframe is 100% redundant.

Warframe is already WAY too easy as it is, thanks.

Yes, I know of this. 

It's nice, would add a bit of flavour, but there are some notable flaws.

CI was more 'capable' on PoE because it was limited to potential by class type.

In Warframe, we would be able to utilize it well with any frame, though some like Rhino and Frost with exceptionally high shields would benefit better.

(and mag's shield restore might be a bit much)

Removing Disruptor Drain? >>> Effectively adding a buffer for shields that CI doesn't actually give, nor do I think it should if it worked here.

Shield Increase >>> Yet another buffer that doesn't naturally exist for CI, but we already have other methods to it.

What about melees that ignore shields >>> This could use some addressing.

Other than that, could be fun. Would need some stress-testing to see how twisted it is with a full shield-based build, though.

(many frames already rely purely on shields)

I've not played mag so I'm not sure about shield restore, but while it would benefit the heavier frames a lot better, I honestly don't think anyone would want to be running around with 1hp as nova or loki ;D

With the disruptor drain, I meant it should still be able to take the energy without affecting the shield, cuz otherwise, you'd get hit by a disruptor and the next tiny bit of damage is gonna kill you :P   The shield increase idea would weigh out losing all the health in my opinion, and I wasn't aware of melee attacks which directly damage health, but i did mean immunity to all stuff like that haha :)

And to nazgul, the only downside of that is most warframes would get 1hp, a few would get 0.75hp, then adding vitality would just leave you with a weird number lol

And to kittens - not double, just increase by a factor of 1.5 :p   The shield+health amount with using vitality would be higher than the shields using this mod, so the total damage you can take is lower, but obviously it'd all recharge and not get affected by toxics :P

I've not played mag so I'm not sure about shield restore, but while it would benefit the heavier frames a lot better, I honestly don't think anyone would want to be running around with 1hp as nova or loki ;D

With the disruptor drain, I meant it should still be able to take the energy without affecting the shield, cuz otherwise, you'd get hit by a disruptor and the next tiny bit of damage is gonna kill you :P   The shield increase idea would weigh out losing all the health in my opinion, and I wasn't aware of melee attacks which directly damage health, but i did mean immunity to all stuff like that haha :)

And to nazgul, the only downside of that is most warframes would get 1hp, a few would get 0.75hp, then adding vitality would just leave you with a weird number lol

And to kittens - not double, just increase by a factor of 1.5 :p   The shield+health amount with using vitality would be higher than the shields using this mod, so the total damage you can take is lower, but obviously it'd all recharge and not get affected by toxics :P

I would think that to negate chaos damage(toxics, in this case) so well, you would have to make yourself COMPLETELY vulnerable and much weaker to disruptors. A fair trade-off for ignoring toxic. The melee thing was just a notice, but, yes, that, too, if it exists. (I still can't tell at times)

I would've also thought that the convenience of not relying on health and also having quick-recharging shields would be enough to warrant that our shields remain as they are with the existing mods that can buff it.

Trading convenience for an alternative efficiency(shields recharge fast with deflection+fortitude)

along with 

Immunity to shield-ignoring attacks/damage but making shield reliance heavier. (including effects from disruptor drain and that shields have no armour applied to them anymore)

(this would also add a varying level and style of use for frames with different natural shields and hp)

Edited by LadyScootaloo

Do it the other way around. 

Instead of all shield.. make it all health. Then its suddenly new and interesting. RIght now you can shield stack and never die (given a fast enough frame, not standing in fire etc) doubled shield makes the game easy mode. A change to ALLL health would make rejuv etc more beneficial, open up armor + health builds, make the health auras useful. 

Edited by xenapan