Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Petition For Beta 7X: Tech Rolling

DrAsmus

I, DrAsmus, am tired of being stunlocked by mobs and beaten to death while my nanosuit wearing space warrior displays complete apathy about being eviscerated and/or burned alive by Ambulas. Research also shows that games throughout many different genres have featured a tech roll from nearly every fighting game ever to a plethora of 3rd person platformers and almost all games that heavily feature boss fights.

I also think this would be an invaluable addition to Warframe's gameplay and solves many issues players may have about loss of character control.

Signed,

-DrAsmus

Anyone else wanna throw down on this issue?

A tech roll in video games is a specific term for an action that is available to a player when his/her character is knocked to the ground or has some sort of incapacitating status effect applied to them. For instance, in almost any fighting game ever release anytime you are knocked to the ground or otherwise incapacitated you can press a button after a very short delay that will initiate a roll animation to either side of the screen. The rolling action can be invincible or not, and the speed of the roll differs depending on the game.

In Warframe there is a distinct need for this movement action because the dynamics of enemy strategies involve a ton of knockbacks, knockdowns, stunlocks, and there are 3 different elemental status effects that stun mobs that players have access to, in addition to Warframe abilities.

Shockwave Moa, Railgun Moa, Leaper, Charger, Grineer Lancer, all Grineer and Infested Heavy units, and all Bosses have at least one knockdown or status effect with some bosses having multiples. Hyena has two knockdowns and one of the Grineer bosses has an 8 second stun in addition to a knockdown hammer attack.

If pvp is ever implemented, a tech roll or some other form of CC reduction will be REQUIRED otherwise Excalibur and others will do things like jump slash knockdown --> rip your shield off --> 4s blind --> Radial Javelin and you will have died before your character even recovered from the stunlock.

It can also be easily implemented since there is already a roll function bound to SHIFT.

Right-o!

Thank you for that explanation. Yes, I totally agree. Let's get a Lei Wu-Long style roll and just roll all over the ground! Would be sweet.

Just kidding?

I think your suggestion makes 100% sense, curious to see if any naysayers come out and what they say. It'd feel so natural to roll from the ground...

Roll is bound to V I think, SHIFT is Sprint/Roll.

The one thing I'll add to this is that I believe a block button or some type of blocking ability is necessary, and could solve some of your problems without putting all the onus on the roll. I know people have strong feelings about the block button but I think having a hard block, were you stay on your feet but still get knocked-backed and take damage/stun instead of fall, would be great.

Been brought up other times, as the problem more lies in just getting back up. The amount of time it takes and the animation used suddenly turns your space ninja into a geriatric.

The animation obviously needs to be sped up but that still won't solve stunlocking problems or multiple shockwave moas keeping you permanently on the ground. Or Ambulas repeatedly kicking you in the face.

i agree with this...the stunlock is ridiculus in this game. don't know how many times i've wound up in the middle of a group, each one taking turns putting me on the ground only to have my warframe slowly climb back to his feet and just stand there, asking "ok...who's turn is it to knock me down now...now serving number 5...number 5...your turn" (nothing i can do about it except stand there and take my butt whipping like a man).

The animation obviously needs to be sped up but that still won't solve stunlocking problems or multiple shockwave moas keeping you permanently on the ground. Or Ambulas repeatedly kicking you in the face.

The stunlock "problem" is not a problem of getting out of it, it's a problem of not getting into it. If you let yourself become surrounded, it's your own fault. Why on earth you should have a free "get me out of the cr4p I got myself into" card? If MOAs or any other type of enemy outsmarted you, they deserve the kill. I was killed like that a handful of times and I know that it always was my own fault to not paying attention to my surroundings or simply being too reckless that got myself into being killed like that, so I have no one except myself to blame.

OP suggestion BTW, pretty much sums up the modern gamer's entitled attitude: they want the game to let them make mistakes and get away with that. Currently Warframe is not like that, it is reasonably hard and, most importantly, unforgiving. Which is extremely rare these days, so I really hope it will stay like that and not become a generic modern TPS, full of autoaims, enemy indicators, regenerating everythings and instant recovery from everything bad that happens to the player. No sir, that's not what Warframe should be.

You're silly. Tech rolling would add a wonderful reaction and skill based option to get out of stunlock feedback loops where your character cannot react. It is not fun to die because you cannot input movement controls.

There are many instances where being stunlocked or knock-locked is unavoidable. Namely multiple moas/leapers/chargers and bosses like Ambulas will get you locked into cycles where just before you get up, another status effect is applied. I've had Ambulas pull me to him, then kick me down three times in a row, while I'm stuck in his ring of fire. Kril has a 12 second stun, I counted. There's all of $&*^ that players can do about any of this and that is not being "unforgiving" it's downright broken. Get off your high horse and play the game through with an open mind, you'll innately notice what doesn't fit and what feels wrong.

You're silly. Tech rolling would add a wonderful reaction and skill based option to get out of stunlock feedback loops where your character cannot react. It is not fun to die because you cannot input movement controls.

There are many instances where being stunlocked or knock-locked is unavoidable. Namely multiple moas/leapers/chargers and bosses like Ambulas will get you locked into cycles where just before you get up, another status effect is applied. I've had Ambulas pull me to him, then kick me down three times in a row, while I'm stuck in his ring of fire. Kril has a 12 second stun, I counted. There's all of $&*^ that players can do about any of this and that is not being "unforgiving" it's downright broken. Get off your high horse and play the game through with an open mind, you'll innately notice what doesn't fit and what feels wrong.

I play the game quite a lot, thank you for your concern. And I see no thing than cannot be dealt with, one way or another. No unbeatable bosses, no undefeatable wave of enemies. Just occasional unfortunate situations, which were the result of player's own actions.

Dieing is never fun but it is how it supposed to be. I've been killed numerous times in warframe, some of them been as a result of a stun-lock or a similar situation. Yet, aforementioned "stun-lock" is just one of many ways to die in warframe. And as any other way it is the result of player did not reacting properly on the situation. Didn't like being stun-locked? don't let stunning enemies get close to you, simple as that. You have all the tools for that: mobility, long-range firepower, warframe abilities. So if not one but two or more shokwave MOAs were able to sneak up on you and kill you, it's your own fault getting yourself into that situation.

Besides, the game is already more than kind and willing to give dead player a second chance. A chance I think he does not deserve BTW. You have 4 "lives" per mission you can use that are replenished daily(or by paying some 10 cents per life for instant resupply); you have your teammates in coop to resurrect you for free; you for god's sake have the ability to play the mission againg and again without actually losing anything, it's not like you're penalised for dieing in any way. Yet, you want another way to cheat death. Quit being a pussy and learn to accept defeat like a man.

I think adding tech roll will make DE more 'free' with enemy design.

Tech roll and invincibility frame isn't a concept that make the game more easy. IMO, game that has these feature usually extremely hard to master due to developer can create a more relentless enemy design due to the fact that player can use tech roll to escape/recover faster. Think about what enemy with ability to 'combo' melee/range would do to the gameplay; It would be more fun and challenging, not the other way around. Tech roll would increase both player and enemies mobility and make the game more skill-based in the same time.

Giving the game mechanic more depth is a good thing. If new player can learn everything about combat mechanic within 1/2 hours then the game is in trouble.