The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

[URGENT] Computer Screen SHUTS OFF on Cetus

Sor_Aaron

So, this is a bit alarming. Every time I get into Cetus to do a bounty, a few minutes after it starts, my computer screen flickers really fast with a greenish glow and shuts off completely. Sound still plays, the game continues normally but my computer screen stays black. Alt + Tab doesn't work, nor any shortcuts that I can imagine. Not even Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. Basically, I can't use my laptop at all because of this issue.

What happened for a few days is that I was forcefully rebooting the system for the screen to revive. Which is of course not ideal and could potencially bring serious problems to my PC. Just yesterday I discovered that by closing and opening the lid of the laptop for a few seconds the screen would come back to life. Right now I'm focused on getting Ostron standing, so I've done this 2 times to mitigate the problem. However, it seems to me this is a pretty serious bug that compromises the entire system.

Just to clarify, this doesn't happen AT ALL outside the game, nor does it happen inside the game in other missions. I'm not playing Fortuna currently, so I don't know if it's an issue there as well. Cetus, though, is a guarantee: first bounty I do, screen shuts off. After I do the lid trick, it stops happening. 

Thats refering to your Monitor Cable.

Very rarely a reason that a game causing it.

I recommend get a new cable since it seems somewhere its broken in the cable or the contact ports.
It can also be your GPU is ending its lifetime/malfunction-factory problem.

Im an IT guy and what you mentioned sounds like its your PC related issue "hardware" not the software or game.

Try change cable and see if it works, got another monitor in the house?

15 hours ago, Sor_Aaron said:

I discovered that by closing and opening the lid of the laptop for a few seconds the screen would come back to life.

15 hours ago, Sor_Aaron said:

my computer screen flickers really fast with a greenish glow and shuts off completely. Sound still plays, the game continues normally but my computer screen stays black. Alt + Tab doesn't work, nor any shortcuts that I can imagine. Not even Ctrl + Shift + Windows + B. Basically, I can't use my laptop at all because of this issue.

• Sounds like GPU related issue.
  • Your computer lid-connection cable to the monitor could be broken or harmed somehow.
  • Green-glow related effects on a monitor is a Direct RED-ALERT something is wrong with GPU-Monitor section.
    A, Check the GPU works fine for atleast 8hours in other programs/stream no flashing and your sitting at the PC.
    B, Check around the PC, any broken parts or cracks on your Laptop section where you open/close the lid?
    C, Can the computer handle a stresstest on high run for 10hours without crash or monitor/GPU failure?
Edited by SevenSinsofHell

5 hours ago, SevenSinsofHell said:

• Sounds like GPU related issue.
  • Your computer lid-connection cable to the monitor could be broken or harmed somehow.
  • Green-glow related effects on a monitor is a Direct RED-ALERT something is wrong with GPU-Monitor section.
    A, Check the GPU works fine for atleast 8hours in other programs/stream no flashing and your sitting at the PC.
    B, Check around the PC, any broken parts or cracks on your Laptop section where you open/close the lid?
    C, Can the computer handle a stresstest on high run for 10hours without crash or monitor/GPU failure?

See, my first idea would be to check for GPU problems, cables, etc. However, every single time the issue happens is right after I enter a Cetus bounty. I have no problem whatsoever playing the game in other modes, watching movies or browsing the internet for extended periods of time. 

The lid is OK, in fact the laptop was recently repaired because of an issue with the lid (Acer Aspire VX5) that affected all of the models. 

Are you using an powerline adapter during games ? ( you need extra power for the Gpu and Cpu . Be sure you connect the powerline adapter )

How is your energy manager settings . ? ( if its set to powersaving then you should change it to max performance ) Open Worlds Need Extra Power Consumption ) Gpu & Cpu calculation are needed with full performance to render

Do you hear an jet comming out of your laptop ?.. if so then ( Cooling is needed ) time to cleanout the fan from dust it may collected .

Or if you have support on the laptop bring it to them to clean it for you if needed and adjusting the thermal paste 

The more heat it make the less quality of life it gets .. 

Be sure you have all the connectors hooked up properly .. screw the cable on the monitor tight so it can't jump out of the Digital video Input socket and from the laptop to the screen itself

.. Check if the internal cable isnt damaged .. Wiggle the laptop screen up and down when you play the game .. if it makes conflict then ..i advice you what SevenSinsofHell reccomended you .. to bring it for repair on the damaged cable // try also what i gave you as advice as iam an IT myself like SevenSinsofHell is .. 

and we are happy to help you as much we can

let us know how it goes along the way :thumbup::cool:

Edited by -_Highlander_-
forgot an p and an t