Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host migration: the achilles heel of Warframe

A_Big_Crocodile

The title says it all.  I've seen plenty of complaints about host migration, and I've experience my fair share of issues with it as well.  The most recent one of today was in a Defense void fissure mission.  After the five first rounds, with my relic cracked open the game went to the extraction screen.  Everyone of the team stayed, but the host decided to leave at the last second.  Result: host migration, and the relic select screen came up before the third person rejoined the session, leaving me and the other player stuck at the relic select screen.  I had to abort the mission, and was forced to forfeit all of the rewards, INCLUDING the rewards of the opened relic.  Fortunately it was "only" a radiant Lith M2 relic, which is not that big of a deal.  But I'm sure something similar has happened to other players with Axi relics.

I've also had failed host migrations after Plains of Eidolon bounties, resulting me in losing all of those rewards too, or just being stuck in a loading screen after the original host left, and then the host to which the game migrated to left as well which resulted in a cascade of migrations.

Please address this.  Warframe is a fantastic game, but stuff like this really starts to grind my gears and it could even be pursposefully exploited by trolls just to spite other players.

That's what happens with peer to peer networks. Host migrations are inevitable, so you might as well find ways to alleviate any problems that arise from that migration. Thing is, warframe's p2p netcode is super weird. Me and my friend play together, but no matter which one of us hosts, the other one will always have severe lag spikes. That would be acceptable, but here's the kicker: he literally lives one floor below me. His bed is right below mine. Our connection should be pristine. I have tried troubleshooting the situation to the max, following the instructions of the warframe's support team, to no avail. I know that there are a lot of factors that can make or break a connection, but when it comes to p2p, the distance from the host matters quite a bit (still, the speed of the host's internet is the most important factor). I've asked DE to tell me how does their p2p networking work, but I've yet to receive an answer.