The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Vacum

Philbo

Hi, 

The Vacum mod for the new carrier sentinal seems a bit broken to me,  Sometimes it works great, does exactly what it says on the tin, but other times I can be standing right next to a mod or ammo drop for 10  or 15 seconds and it does nothing.  I've fused it several times, so it shouldn't be a "strength" issue, besides it works great sometimes...

Hotfix Please!

Hmmm, need to go take another look with this mind..  Not convinced though, would seem a bit of a pointless mod if it needs a cooldown period.  Its only a convenience mod after all and doesn't deel any damage.  It drives me daft having to make a detour back because the vacum stopped working again.

If this is a deliberate cooldown issue as suggested then what's point?  You still have to go pick things up the old fashioned way, and you don't know when it's going to work and when it wont!

I could kind of understand if it's being interupted by another sentinal ability, but i've been standing next to ammo drops in empty rooms for 10 to 15 seconds waiting to see if the vacum mod will pick it up for me.  Then i end up walking over it to pick it up.  At one point I thought it was dependant on what way the sentinal was facing, but again this didn't work out with the empty room test.

I have noticed that it is very dependant on the drop having settled to its resting location. As in, if an energy orb is rolling (i've noticed the problem the most with orbs) Carrier will not pull it to you until it stops. So if the drop is slowly rolling, or shifting around and hasn't fully settled yet, Carrier will just wait until it does, no matter how close you are to it. At least that is my experience with it.

I have noticed that it is very dependant on the drop having settled to its resting location. As in, if an energy orb is rolling (i've noticed the problem the most with orbs) Carrier will not pull it to you until it stops. So if the drop is slowly rolling, or shifting around and hasn't fully settled yet, Carrier will just wait until it does, no matter how close you are to it. At least that is my experience with it.

He said this.

but other times I can be standing right next to a mod or ammo drop for 10  or 15 seconds and it does nothing. 

I'm not really sure how this ability works. I don't think it stops working for another ability because I had the same situation when the only mod on my sentinel was Vacuum. So its probably has a duration of time it works then has a cooldown before it starts back up again.

I have done some testing on this as well, and while lag may cause an issue, i did most of my testing alone. What i did find wasn't a cooldown issue, so much as a physics engine issue, as far as i could tell. most rescources (energy, health, mods, affinity, etc.) are round or spherical, and actually have tendency to have a slight "roll." This roll will bring an object down a slope, or cause it to move away from a container after it has been broken/opened due to momentum. I have found that this rolling interferes with vacuum, making it so that it can't pick up these objects until they have completely or partially stopped rolling. My guess with the extended delay is that the physics engine is trying to get the object to it's "comletely rested state," which would be a collision issue with the textures (i think). Once again this is just from what I've seen, if you notice anything else in regards to this, feel free to let me know.

For those of you who feeling like whining that I'm an idiot, you don't have to; your sentiment has already been noted. however if you wish to provide helpful insight, that would be most welcome.

I'm going to go with an energy deficiency as the issue. The sentinel-specific utility mods are supposed to use the sentinel's energy reserves. Which I believe is 100 for all of them. It seems like the Carrier gets about 3-4 good sucks out of a full 100 energy. Then it has to charge its energy a bit to use it. 

If I go up on a perch in a defense mission and rain rockets down on things, while my sentinel charges. When I come back down between waves, my Carrier sucks up everything around me with no issues whatsoever. If I stay down in the mix, my Carrier stops sucking after a few goes. And its not a mod order issue either, since my Vacuum  mod has a higher priority that my attack mod.

I'm going to go with an energy deficiency as the issue. The sentinel-specific utility mods are supposed to use the sentinel's energy reserves. Which I believe is 100 for all of them. It seems like the Carrier gets about 3-4 good sucks out of a full 100 energy. Then it has to charge its energy a bit to use it. 

If I go up on a perch in a defense mission and rain rockets down on things, while my sentinel charges. When I come back down between waves, my Carrier sucks up everything around me with no issues whatsoever. If I stay down in the mix, my Carrier stops sucking after a few goes. And its not a mod order issue either, since my Vacuum  mod has a higher priority that my attack mod.

after I had done some more testing this was another possibility that I came up with as well, but there are the instances where it will pick up credits (which don't roll) but not other resources that are mixed in, which is where the rolling issue comes in, however, I do think that the energy is a part of it, unfortunately for us there is no way to mod the energy of our sentinels.