The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Impossible Button Combos

(XBOX)Avant Solace

Buried Debts has just launched on Xbox, and I've found a major flaw within Melee 2.9's controller scheme: Mandatory/uncompromising button settings.

For context: I redid my controls so that I could aim with gunblades while still having easy access to abilities, at the cost of secondary fire's accuracy. I did this by making (RB) melee, (RS) ability usage, and (B) into secondary fire. However with this new control scheme (RS) must always have melee channel attached, period. Any attempts to tamper with (RS) will always result in the respec being denied. Ironically the controller allows one to forgo a melee button altogether.

This is rather frustrating as I don't even use channeling to begin with. I'd rather have the option to just remove channeling outright than deal with this.

UPDATE: I have found something of a work-around. While the game throws a fit if you try to move certain controls around, it has no issue with several others. Essentially you can play a game of hot potato with your buttons by moving every button you want changed into place EXCEPT the ones that the game won't allow. While the game gets flaky if you try to move certain buttons yourself, it'll happily relocate these buttons itself if other buttons are being moved. Basically just play around and save whenever you get close to the scheme you want.

Edited by (XB1)alchemPyro
update

Its custom controls in general are not favored for melee 2.9. The melee channel issue can be moved but you kind have to move something else around to move it. My own custom controls now make excal and gunblades useless because i cant rapid fire excals exalted blade or aim it. Honestly instant switching wasnt really that big of a deal to me and all i want now is the old melee back it worked better for consoles anyway

Good to see this issue isn't exclusive to me and worthy of attention. Really though, why even deny any button re-mapping in the first place? If a person wants to butcher their control scheme for the sake of comfort, let them! Really the only buttons that should ever be "mandatory" are basic movement controls. Everything else should be able to be freely swapped around or even cut out.

Now that I think about it, my best friend totally overhauled his button scheme to something alien for the sake of fluidity (even cutting out his ability to post waypoints). I can only imagine the fiasco its going to be when he realizes what's happened.

5 hours ago, --Cyberius-- said:

wow, you lot have already killed 'quick melee' 'block' options on the pc, will you never be satisfied with dumbing down of controls.

Its not about dumbing it down, but by having the freedom to alter control schemes. If I want to melee with (RB) and bind both melee channel and alternate fire to (B), then I should have every right to. It feels good and helps me perform better (innuendo intended). Why should people get penalized for wanting to mix things up in a game about having multiple ways to mix things up?

On 2019-03-21 at 5:40 AM, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

Buried Debts has just launched on Xbox, and I've found a major flaw within Melee 2.9's controller scheme: Mandatory/uncompromising button settings.

For context: I redid my controls so that I could aim with gunblades while still having easy access to abilities, at the cost of secondary fire's accuracy. I did this by making (RB) melee, (RS) ability usage, and (B) into secondary fire. However with this new control scheme (RS) must always have melee channel attached, period. Any attempts to tamper with (RS) will always result in the respec being denied. Ironically the controller allows one to forgo a melee button altogether.

This is rather frustrating as I don't even use channeling to begin with. I'd rather have the option to just remove channeling outright than deal with this.

Having the same problem (as a fellow XBOX player, obviously, I am...). Also not much of a channeling user.

16 hours ago, (XB1)squall 7eon4art said:

Its custom controls in general are not favored for melee 2.9. The melee channel issue can be moved but you kind have to move something else around to move it. My own custom controls now make excal and gunblades useless because i cant rapid fire excals exalted blade or aim it. Honestly instant switching wasnt really that big of a deal to me and all i want now is the old melee back it worked better for consoles anyway

This is a great fix that I've used before (I can't remember how to make it work the way I want, though), but there is a larger problem. The manner in which melee channeling is activated (or bound to a button, depending on perspective) on the XBOX was already a massive issue for controller layout/gameplay purposes, before Buried Debts. Assuming you ignore the fact that it couldn't be unbound or easily moved in the first place.

You tap the assigned button, and it activates... But so does whatever was bound to that button primarily. There were only two means I found to remedy this. The first was to bind melee channeling to another (primary) function that either wasn't likely to activate at the same time or would stop when the button was released. Examples of this: inspecting something, attacking (obviously not actually a good choice), or blocking.

The second and far more useful means was to bind melee channeling to a primary function that couldn't occur at the same time because the melee weapon was equipped. Like quick melee, or reloading, or quick melee, or quick melee.

With the release of Buried Debts, godly quick melee was replaced with... the idea of auto-swapping and auto-blocking. Great for that auto-blocking mod and regular game-play, but useless for everyone in general because there's no longer anything that can't happen at the same time as holding your melee weapon. And channeling still can't be deleted.

Please, send help. Lots of help... And quick melee. Quick melee will solve all the problems. All of them.

p.s. The comment about the auto-blocking mod was sarcasm. It's still as useless as ever (because it makes you stop shooting at the thing that's shooting at you - generally a bad idea). The reason quick melee is better is obvious: a Tenno holding a stick and not hitting something with it just looks like a really bored cave-man.

Edit: I just cottoned onto another problem that has also gotten blown out of proportion: I don't know about anyone else, but trying to kill an oxium osprey (NEED MORE OXIUM) as it's about to explode was difficult enough before, but now there will be an extra few seconds of "problem" while you swap to your gun, because you whacked something 5 minutes ago (and have spent the last 5 minutes of your life watching a depressing historical nature documentary).

Edited by (XB1)Vellanite

28 minutes ago, (XB1)Vellanite said:

Edit: I just cottoned onto another problem that has also gotten blown out of proportion: I don't know about anyone else, but trying to kill an oxium osprey (NEED MORE OXIUM) as it's about to explode was difficult enough before, but now there will be an extra few seconds of "problem" while you swap to your gun, because you whacked something 5 minutes ago (and have spent the last 5 minutes of your life watching a depressing historical nature documentary).

I don't get it. If you've recently shot something or simply aimed, you should then be in "gun" mode and no longer auto blocking.

7 minutes ago, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

I don't get it. If you've recently shot something or simply aimed, you should then be in "gun" mode and no longer auto blocking.

For starters, I've only just managed to fix my controller layout (haven't actually played Buried Debts yet). For seconds, my statement was assuming that the player HAD NOT swapped to "gun mode" before finding the Oxium Osprey.

p.s. My statement had nothing to do with auto-blocking. It's about the "loss" of potential oxium.

8 minutes ago, (XB1)Vellanite said:

For starters, I've only just managed to fix my controller layout (haven't actually played Buried Debts yet).

Wait, we can't stop the ability wheel button from also casting abilities with a tap of the assigned button anymore, can we? Well, I'm stumped.

Edit: Fixed. Melee channel can still pair with context action/reload.

Edited by (XB1)Vellanite

9 minutes ago, (XB1)Vellanite said:

For starters, I've only just managed to fix my controller layout (haven't actually played Buried Debts yet). For seconds, my statement was assuming that the player HAD NOT swapped to "gun mode" before finding the Oxium Osprey.

p.s. My statement had nothing to do with auto-blocking. It's about the "loss" of potential oxium.

Either way its a different topic for a different thread. This thread is specifically about how Warframe's button schemes have gotten unbearably restrictive. Restrictive control schemes are fine on games where players don't particularly need ideal comfort or don't have to worry about extra variables; but in a game like Warframe, where everything is fast-paced and thousands of different possible play styles exist, restricting button schemes is just foolish.

30 minutes ago, (XB1)alchemPyro said:

Either way its a different topic for a different thread. This thread is specifically about how Warframe's button schemes have gotten unbearably restrictive. Restrictive control schemes are fine on games where players don't particularly need ideal comfort or don't have to worry about extra variables; but in a game like Warframe, where everything is fast-paced and thousands of different possible play styles exist, restricting button schemes is just foolish.

My comment on Oxium Ospreys was about how the new button scheme (you no longer have the option to automatically put away your melee weapon after attacking something - part of this topic about restrictive button combos/control schemes) meant a loss (Oxium) in-game... You haven't explained how this is a different topic. Restrictions to controller layout affect the whole game. This topic is about the whole of Warframe, and our interaction with it.

However, thanks for your opinion. And, yes this thread is definitely about restrictive control schemes in a fast-paced game. I would like to hear about any in-game restrictions these changes have caused that you can think of (that way I'm aware of them). I'm sure everyone else reading this thread would appreciate the same.

1 hour ago, (XB1)Vellanite said:

My comment on Oxium Ospreys was about how the new button scheme (you no longer have the option to automatically put away your melee weapon after attacking something - part of this topic about restrictive button combos/control schemes) meant a loss (Oxium) in-game... You haven't explained how this is a different topic. Restrictions to controller layout affect the whole game. This topic is about the whole of Warframe, and our interaction with it.

However, thanks for your opinion. And, yes this thread is definitely about restrictive control schemes in a fast-paced game. I would like to hear about any in-game restrictions these changes have caused that you can think of (that way I'm aware of them). I'm sure everyone else reading this thread would appreciate the same.

Well the main reason I originally swapped up my scheme was so I could aim gunblades more effectively. Having that split second of my thumb off the right stick was often enough of a margin for my target to move out of the may. This isn't much of an issue with regular melee weapons as they have auto-aim, but the bullets fired from gunblades have to be manually aimed.