Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Throwing Spears & Chain Blades & Flails & Whips

Demon_Mask

I think that the tenno would really appreciate a few (new and unlike anything else available) melee weapons.

1: functioning like a spear, its rapid click attacks are stabbing and its charged is a throw to impale enemies, the spear will be retrievable by picking it up from the body. this will be great for stealth solo players who love to sneak around and take their time instead of rushing in guns blazing, kind of like predator in AVP2 video game.

2: a smaller dual version of something like the update 10 KAMA, linked to chains for throwing around in groups of light armoured enemies, probably the longest reach of any melee weapon that is NOT thrown, chain length probably around the width of a standard hallway or just a bit more. sort of a space ninja version of kratos's blades.

3: kind of medieval here, but a space ninja like morning star or flail could be really cool for those evil paint jobs. instead of the spikes being a metal, they could be super short range cutting lasers being projected out of the weapons head.

4: a whip, low damage high rate of fire and decent chance to stun. this would be much fun!

let me know what you guys think!!! =]

1. Spears seem a little to medieval and don't fit the theme of the game imo. Unless DE finds a way to.

2. Neat, also think its been suggested a few times before

3. Same as #1 imo.

4. Maybe have it like the grineer scorpions. Using the whip to down enemies, bring them close, and then stab them lol .

All of these have been suggested before, and probably in the works or planned in the works before even mentioned. These basic weapons we have now are *theoretically* testing beds for future weapons. That said I'm more looking forward to Dual Kama, Bo Prime, Glaive Prime, and something else I forgot.

1. Spears seem a little to medieval and don't fit the theme of the game imo. Unless DE finds a way to.

3. Same as #1 imo.

4. Maybe have it like the grineer scorpions. Using the whip to down enemies, bring them close, and then stab them lol .

although 1&3 do seem medieval at first glance, remember the predator from other game series, a hunter who uses these weapons in a SCI-FI game to be quiet and deadly. like my suggestion to modernise them in idea #3 with small cutting lasers being projected to replace the metal spikes in the head of the weapon, a spear could have a laser cutting edge on it like some other melee weapons in game.

on your point #4: that is actually a really good idea and i cant believe that i didnt think of it.... to expand on the idea i think that would be the weapon's charged attack, or a 10% chance in the standard attack to pull an enemy. the charge could be a sweep or loud cracking noise that stuns?

+1 for spears or something like them.

I've always loved spears and theres never enough in games.

somekind of collapsing javelin/spear that can be swing and/or be thrown would be nice and something different.

Edited by Fartbake

+1 for spears or something like them.

I've always loved spears and theres never enough in games.

somekind of collapsing javelin/spear that can be swing + be thrown would be nice and something different.

exactly, i can see in my mind a telescopic spear animation like the glaive opening up, but i think a thrusting weapon for its basic attacks would be better and more unique. charged, thrown of course and then needs to be retrieved.

exactly, i can see in my mind a telescopic spear animation like the glaive opening up, but i think a thrusting weapon for its basic attacks would be better and more unique. charged, thrown of course and then needs to be retrieved.

as long as we also get a proper spear with decent swings and swipes like the Orthos =3

Edited by Fartbake

1. A spear weapon would be pretty cool. I don't care much for throwing the spear, but if it was implemented well then I wouldn't complain.

2. I just really hate the idea of two kama connected by a chain and someone swinging them around thinking it's going to be slice and dice central in there. Doing that is more likely to result in blunt impacts unless you'd position the swing just right, and even then you'll land more lethal strikes holding the actual handles. You're better off with a kusarigama if you want to be swinging things around, and that's not a weapon I care to see in this game right now, either. A big no from me.

3. Possibly an interesting idea.

4. Yeah, I'd be down to see a whip. I believe DE has already expressed their interest in making one available in some fashion. A high-tech whip sounds pretty cool.

3. Same as #1 imo.

1: The Orthos is a Spear.

2: Kama were originally supposed to be used in pairs, and are 1 handed only in size.

3: The Chinese had this weapon called a 'Rope Dart' which could be used for the same.

4: The Scorpions need to having their whips first (as per a Livestream comment from the devs.  They want the Scorps to have whips instead of Machetes.)  Not to mention having the mechanics down first for flexible weapons.

1: The Orthos is a Spear.

2: Kama were originally supposed to be used in pairs, and are 1 handed only in size.

3: The Chinese had this weapon called a 'Rope Dart' which could be used for the same.

4: The Scorpions need to having their whips first (as per a Livestream comment from the devs.  They want the Scorps to have whips instead of Machetes.)  Not to mention having the mechanics down first for flexible weapons.

1. No, it's a polearm, but not a spear. Spears have pointed tips and function best in thrusting.

2. I think I get what you mean, but this deserves clarification. Kama kata can involve one or two kama, no problem. Just because they're usually depicted as being a pair-only weapon doesn't mean that was the absolute norm. For the record, though, I do want dual kama because... well it absolutely needs to happen.

3. What...? How in the world, besides the possible chain, are flails and morning stars so similar to rope darts?

Edited by Red-Lynx

Regarding spears and thrusting...most spears are primarily used this way, but to neglect the ability to deliver a devastating slash, or strike with the shaft is wasting much of the weapon's potential.

I'd like to see an animation combo that featured a variety of attacks.

Uhh?

The spear is an ancient weapon to be sure, but they are still in use. I have fished with a spear, I have hunted boar with a spear. Even some modern firearms have provisions for bayonets, which essentially turns a rifle into a spear.

Warframe features swords and axes that haven't been used as weapons, outside of times of desperation, in centuries. Warframe also features a variety of polearms/staves/hafted weapons. Even if you argue for an "eastern" or "ninja-esque" theme, spears still fit just fine.

Edited by Saenol

wow, lots of talk on my thread for once =P AWESOME!

i would like to restate, so that i do not get anymore talk about the orthos..... I WANT A THROWING SPEAR with a combination of swings and thrusts (combination credit to an above poster)!!!!!
now thats outta the way.... my kama idea can easily be changed to a blunt attatchment on a chain.... but wouldnt look as cool to those who arnt going to overthink the way it works haha
and it really is not that hard to scifi an older day weapon think about it, really!
On the point of mechanics of flexy weapons and at the risk of not knowing what i am talking about..... wouldnt a tiny weighted ball (moves in lines when triggered) connected to the end of a solid physx affected rope be a whip in basic sense???? i dont really know how it works, i am just guessing

• 2 weeks later...