The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

[24.5.7] dx10 low detail gpu over-usage ?

Etzu

Hey there,

I just noticed two missions ago that outside of free roam my gpu rise from 25% (normal load on my pc) up to 55%, worst beeing when I'm in operator near my frame.

Steve mentionned in the stream before launch of 24.4.0 that they were redoing the light mecanics, that would be nicer but won't burn more performance, but right now I'm feeling extremly high performance consumption everywhere in the game and I think the issue comes from the lights.

I also have that problem within my orbiter, I've tryied multiple weapons, skins, attachments, changing orbiter planet, but nothing helped me to find the source. Except that when I'm in the operator room my gpu calm down to 25% instead of the 40% near my arsenal / navigation.

Since the 24.4.0 there is a change in the light, shadows etc even with all option to low or disabled, and my hardware doesn't like it, which is strange cause I have a GTX 970m and one quad-core I7 on a laptop that is less than five years old.

I've also noticed that the performance issue I've seen in the vallis and the plains in 24.4.x, where you have approximatly 10-20% less gpu / cpu load when looking the sky or the ground is now spread to normal mission too. Here are the comparison from the % load I've posted for 24.4.3 and the % load now in 24.5.7.

In 24.4.3:

• Orb Vallis looking at the ground or the sky: CPU ~30%, GPU ~20%
  • Orb Vallis looking at horizon level: CPU ~ 40%-50%, GPU ~30%-40%

In 24.5.7:

• Orbiter after exiting Arsenal looking at the ground: CPU ~16%, GPU ~27%
  • Orbiter after exiting Arsenal looking at the sky: CPU ~16%, GPU ~27% >> (+0% cpu, +0% gpu)
  • Orbiter after exiting Arsenal looking at horizon level: CPU ~23%, GPU ~34% >> (+7% cpu, +7% gpu)

• Orb Vallis spawn looking at the ground: CPU ~25%, GPU ~30%
  • Orb Vallis spawn looking at the sky: CPU ~30%, GPU ~35% >> (+5% cpu, +5% gpu)
  • Orb Vallis spawn looking at horizon level: CPU ~35%, GPU ~55% >> (+10% cpu, +25% gpu)

• Plains of Eidolon rainy dawn spawn looking at the ground: CPU ~25%, GPU ~30%
  • Plains of Eidolon rainy dawn spawn looking at the sky: CPU ~25%, GPU ~35% >> (+0% cpu, +5% gpu)
  • Plains of Eidolon rainy dawn spawn looking at the horizon level: CPU ~35%, GPU ~50% >> (+10% cpu, +20% gpu)

• Lua Capture spawn looking at the ground: CPU ~15%, GPU ~25%
  • Lua Capture spawn looking at the sky: CPU ~15%, GPU ~30% >>  (+0% cpu, +5% gpu)
  • Lua Capture spawn looking at the horizon level: CPU ~25%, GPU ~45% >> (+10% cpu, +20% gpu)

I've also noticed that when I transfer out of my warframe, the gpu load increase by 10% for the duration of the operator appearing visual effect. I've also tested orb vallis spawn under dx 11 with the same settings as in dx 10 but the performance cost was identical.

I think there is a performance lost on reflexion, as on my orbiter when near the Mods the GPU is 5% less loaded looking the ground compared to when looking the foundry on the same angle, or just outside of the arsenal looking the ground with a very nice reflexion ring on it.

Edited by Etzu
  • Like 1

à l’instant, LaylaAmbrose a dit :

GPU usage in Warframe should be nearing 100% unless you have a CPU bottleneck or have your FPS capped.

my fps are at 75 smooth all the time except when having a game freeze.

il y a 14 minutes, LaylaAmbrose a dit :

Do you have v-sync enabled? If so try turning it off

First time I see v-sync increasing performance load, it's supposed to reduce it.

With 40mhz it dropped the load by 50% on both cpu and gpu.

Well after more testing, the spikes are still there but there is a global reduction of cpu and gpu load outside of those spikes that reach the same value as they were before (but before it was permanent).

Even worst, when warframe window is running in background (not focused) it loads my GPU by +15% as when the window is focused.

Edited by Etzu

3 hours ago, Etzu said:

First time I see v-sync increasing performance load, it's supposed to reduce it.

With 40mhz it dropped the load by 50% on both cpu and gpu.

Disabling v-sync simply allows your hardware to work harder to push out more frames. Also, there is nothing wrong with having high GPU usage. It just means it's working at its full potential. Having v-sync enabled will cause stuttering because it's forcing your gpu to wait before it pushes out frames and so you'll feel more input delay and see hiccups when playing.

Whats wrong with high GPU usage?

Is heat, noise, or excessive battery drain (laptops) a problem? Maybe use NVidia/AMD overclock utility and drop the core speed very low, less then the default speed.

DX11 2560x1440, vsync off, fps limit 144, high dynamic range on, texture memory high, everything else was off.

Windows 10, Asus Prime B350 Plus, Ryzen 5 2400g at 3.8 GHz with -.05 CPU volts (1.4 volts), Vega 11 at 1240 Mhz and +.0875 SOC volts (1.1875), 16 GB RAM, 1.3 volts, at 3066 (overclocked RAM on motherboard settings and is stable for over 11 days)

Ryzen 5 2400g, RX 580 (High Performance GPU)
41% 144 fps PoE rain ground
46% 144 fps PoE rain sky
80% 144 fps PoE rain horizon
37% 144 fps PoE ground
43% 144 fps PoE sky
76% 144 fps PoE horizon

Ryzen 5 2400g, Vega 11 (Power Saving GPU) (yes, still at 2560x1440)
98% 114 fps PoE rain ground
98% 108 fps PoE rain sky
99%  70 fps PoE rain horizon
98% 131 fps PoE ground
98% 119 fps PoE sky
99% 74 fps PoE horizon

My integrated graphics at 99% usage use less power, less watts, less heat, compared to my graphics card 80% usage. My integrated graphics is happy to run at max GPU usage with only some drops of frame rate. This game's dynamic resolution (edit: this was off for above tested numbers) and my FreeSync monitor helps minimize any tearing, stutters and FPS drops.

I use hybrid graphics (enabled in motherboard BIOS settings) with Ryzen 2400g and AMD RX 580, integrated graphics is primary, and using only integrated graphics for video outputs. My windows 10 have an option to use high performance RX 580 or power saving Vega 11 for rendering, depending if I want to heat the room more, or not.

Edited by sam686
  • Like 1

il y a 39 minutes, sam686 a dit :

Whats wrong with high GPU usage?

Is heat, noise, or excessive battery drain (laptops) a problem? Maybe use NVidia/AMD overclock utility and drop the core speed very low, less then the default speed.

high usage means material will gain in temperature, which can deteriorate material over time if pushed too high too often.

Il y a 15 heures, LaylaAmbrose a dit :

Disabling v-sync simply allows your hardware to work harder to push out more frames. Also, there is nothing wrong with having high GPU usage. It just means it's working at its full potential. Having v-sync enabled will cause stuttering because it's forcing your gpu to wait before it pushes out frames and so you'll feel more input delay and see hiccups when playing.

well in other games I've always used the V-sync to reduce the hardware usage to increase overall performance result. Here the v-sync managed the max framerate too, and with more framerate my cpu and gpu loads too high for a result I don't need. I mean I can play with 40fps without problem, I don't need 75fps, I prefer keep the rest of the capacity of my hardware for like the other programs I run in backgrounds while playing.

Edited by Etzu

2 hours ago, Etzu said:

high usage means material will gain in temperature, which can deteriorate material over time if pushed too high too often.

well in other games I've always used the V-sync to reduce the hardware usage to increase overall performance result. Here the v-sync managed the max framerate too, and with more framerate my cpu and gpu loads too high for a result I don't need. I mean I can play with 40fps without problem, I don't need 75fps, I prefer keep the rest of the capacity of my hardware for like the other programs I run in backgrounds while playing.

Then cap your fps manually instead of using v-sync. Please educate yourself on this stuff.

il y a 3 minutes, LaylaAmbrose a dit :

Then cap your fps manually instead of using v-sync. Please educate yourself on this stuff.

Well, as mentionned I never saw the v-sync doing that before, but the high cpu and gpu load with high tick-per-sec rate I've seen it already in my own game project where the highest the fps were the more amount of power the game used due to reflexion of light been recalculated each frame. Normally when you have high framerate, the % load is lower than when you have a low framerate, cause with a low frame rate your hardware have to do more work at once between each frame rather than doing the work by smaller fragments. But it seems that some real-time technologies arround the lights works differently, instead of fragmenting the work in multiple small task it just load the MOST work possible every frame resulting in a massive load of the hardware when framerate is high.

(So please avoid commentaries like "educate yourself", first it's innapropriate on a community forum where we help each others, and second you cannot know what is the knowledge of peoples)

---

I'll update the infos after the mainline update coming this week, to compare if things changed in any way.

2 hours ago, Etzu said:

CPU/GPU degradation mostly depends on 3 things: voltage, temperature, and amount of amps/watts being drawn by chip per voltage rail (CPU, SOC, etc). There are lots of information on google search. https://www.google.com/search?q=temperature+degradation+cpu+gpu

I like using Hwinfo64 for measuring lots of temperatures. For my AMD Ryzen 2400g + AMD RX 580, it required going to Hwinfo64 settings, i2c, turn on "GPU I2C via ADL", or just turn off "GPU I2C support", just to avoid random lockup/freeze when starting up Hwinfo64.

1 hour ago, Etzu said:

Normally when you have high framerate, the % load is lower than when you have a low framerate, cause with a low frame rate your hardware have to do more work at once between each frame rather than doing the work by smaller fragments.

There goes low end, slow GPU that may drop down to 0 FPS (frozen display) with 100% GPU usage, constantly trying to catch up to render enough fragments per second, and then the graphics timeout detection and recovery (TDR) might stop the render that took too much time, giving the appearance of a frozen or black game/program.

It looks like Warframe and some other games just speed up everything to make up for lost time of lower frame rate. Good for slow computers and video game consoles. There are bugs with poor frame rate like fishing spear bug at a low 12 FPS. I guess the game speed up fishing spear so much from poor FPS, it overshoots and spins endlessly, until FPS goes up. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1055897-overall-lag-and-freezing-while-fishing/