Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Duck & Cover: A More Defensive Playstyle For Warframe

RedPharaoh0817

I. Introductions

As we are all experiencing with our beloved warframe, it is played with a fast paced, gun-blazing, skill dropping, run first cover later kind of game. And based on what i can project, as the game gets harder with all the factions increase in level making them harder to kill. with mods like VIGOr, RETRIBUTION, VITALITY and STEEL FIBER they will only become effective for a period of time making survivability decrease as mobs increase in damage. so i think its safe to assume that in the future, running out in the open and shoot at things will be a sure loss of life.

II. Proposition

As the title suggests, a smart, more interactive and creative solution is the development of the cover system. For those who played games like MASS EFFECT series, DEUS EX REVOLUTION, SNIPER ELITE V2 and SPLINTER CELL GHOST RECON you will know what i mean. For those who don't i will further explain.

III Mechanics

when a player is near a cover or any surface (wall, box, ledge) you will have an option to go into a cover position. in this position, you are less likely to be hit by less accurate mobs like the grineer lancer and the corpus crewman(note that they can still hit you but would lessen the chance except for highly accurate mobs like the corpus sniper and the grineer snipers) granted that the cover is between you and the enemy. while in cover position, the player has the option to go out of cover and "look out" or go into a shooting stance (similar to when pressing the aim button) and pick out targets then have the quick option to go into the defensive hiding position.

III.I Merging Cover System and Ninja Moves

Cover - simply run to a cover and go into stance

Crouched Cover - while in cover position pressing the crouch will go into crouch cover position

Run and Cover - Sprinting towards a cover and go into stance

Slide & Cover - Sprinting then sliding towards a cover and going into a crouched cover position

Roll and cover - when rolling towards a cover, it will get you into a crouched cover position

Stealth Kill from cover position - while in cover position and with an unalerted enemy near the cover the player can stealth kill the enemy while dragging its body to cover

Cover Switching(near cover) - while in cover position, player can switch covers if an available cover is near.

Cover Switching(distant cover)(a mass effect move) - from a cover, player can sprint towards a new cover

Vaulting - from a crouched cover position and using boxes or ledges/fences as cover, player can vault over them

*feel free to add more moves related to cover system

III.II Pros and Cons

Pros:

-adds diversity to gameplay instead of just running around and shoot stuff

-a great solution to later levels where getting hit is no longer an option

-a great addition to stealth gameplay if implimented

-gives another option for gunplay

-contribute to the feel of being space commandos/ninjas that we are

-run & gun and gun blazing gameplay will be unaffected

-ideal for defense and mobile defense missions

Cons:

-more work for DE(hihi)

-not for rush missions

-not ideal for infested missions

** feel free other pros and cons that i might have overlooked\

hope you like my idea. and constructive criticism is very much appreciated!

Not saying this isn't a good idea, but the dev team has stated they are not going to make a cover system ~ 

What you can do however, is use the third person view to your advantage - by keeping the camera on the open side of the wall / shoulder your shooting with and only moving out enough to get your shots past the wall - ( I'd add a screenshot but I don't have one at the moment ) 

with the AI as it is right now, there is no real good "cover" technique since they bum rush you or do some very silly actions.  Yet I guess this is still technically beta so anything could happen. 

( additionally )  this game is not build for "sticky" cover since maneuvering is meant to be the best form of defense 

Edited by tactical_surgeon

Steve has stated himself that a Cover System is final word, and that word is no. 

Digital Extremes doesn't want to slow the pace of the game down, they're looking to make a fast paced game. a Cover System drastically slows the pace of the game down. 

so yeah, nope.

browse through the Livestreams for a quote.

edit: besides, walls with glue on them usually really screw over quick movement, and Warframe is all about it. 

and if you want to take cover, stand behind a wall. recharge your shields, and go back to knocking faces in.

also, lol'd that you classified Grineer Lancers as inaccurate mobs. guess how Lancers get 'buffed' at higher levels?

yeah, that is a Grakata sniping you from 3 tiles away. can't hit him with your Sniper Rifle? problem? >.>

Edited by taiiat

Pros:

-adds diversity to gameplay instead of just running around and shoot stuff Not really. You just end up running from cover to cover shooting stuff.

-a great solution to later levels where getting hit is no longer an option No it is not. There issues with the game balance beyond a simple cover system.

-a great addition to stealth gameplay if implimented I can agree with this, but a smart player and work soft cover just as well.

-gives another option for gunplay Eh...Not by much.

-contribute to the feel of being space commandos/ninjas that we are I don't see how. We are run and gun "ninjas".

-run & gun and gun blazing gameplay will be unaffected Yes it would. It would make Co-Op even less organized.

-ideal for defense and mobile defense missions True, but it's also boring.

Cons:

-more work for DE(hihi)

-not for rush missions

-not ideal for infested missions

Additional Cons:

Slows down gameplay all around.

Further demotes the usage of short range weapons.

While it does make Puncture mods more viable, it makes bolt weapons (which do not work with puncture) less of a choice.

Does not compliment Frame powers.

Removes the viability of parkour.

Further reduces the point of melee.

AI would technically get a buff, as their perfect accuracy would make popping out of cover suicide.

Additional Cons:

Slows down gameplay all around.

Further demotes the usage of short range weapons.

While it does make Puncture mods more viable, it makes bolt weapons (which do not work with puncture) less of a choice.

Does not compliment Frame powers.

Removes the viability of parkour.

Further reduces the point of melee.

AI would technically get a buff, as their perfect accuracy would make popping out of cover suicide.

Bolt weapons now work with puncture 

being out of cover no matter what ( not just peaking out from it )  is suicide on high end missions - that's what the blocking and parkour is for 

so yea ~ i'ts just not viable for this game