Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Host Migration Error is Overly Punishing

Almis7

A technical problem shouldn't result in negating hours of progress every day for a game which leans so heavily on grinding.

It is a story I've heard personally from dozens of other players. There is some networking issue after the host leaves which boots them back to their orbiter with no rewards, often at the end of a long / endless mission.

• From what I see this is the default for detecting a failure of transferring hosts, it is a default which punishes players unnecessarily.
  • It has recently been made worse since it is now easier for the host to leave a mission early
  • I understand it can be fixed / mitigated through configuring network/firewalls, but that isn't what I'm here to talk about

There has to be a better way to handle this error

• something cheap - no large changes to the system / networking code (something easier than switching to dedicated servers)
  • should be thorough enough to prevent exploitation (Can't open a loophole for cheaters)
  • Should minimize the upset of losing a member mid-session.

Please try to help give DE more ideas because I know we have a wonderful community, here are a few of my suggestions:

• Have the default set to a normal extraction (feels like the easiest but probably a temporary fix)
  • Have default for a failure on the network side lead to a solo mission (feels the most straightforward and I would love to know why this isn't already a thing)
  • I think turning players who disconnected or left into specters would be a fun thing, it might even make something like rejoining games easier (this mostly just sounds fun to me)
  • On a larger scale, losing a team member can be a big deal. When it works properly it often feels like a turning point in the battle and can cause losses during challenging content, especially after the mission won't accept new additions to fill up spots.

The above was an attempt to make this as constructive as possible because I really do love playing this game but...

I regularly solo missions because it feels like that is the only way to make progress grinding. I want to play multiplayer, and I want to use the matchmaking because I really enjoy it. It just isn't stable enough to be fun. It's just a game, but it upsets me greatly and has made me quit playing for long stretches of time.

This issue has lasted for so long that I believe it is very low on the list of priorities and has only gotten worse. I wish more people would actually make their voices heard because I've talked with enough people having the same trouble to know that I'm not alone with this.
Thank you

As much as I agree that Host Migrations sucks, I have to say the "Host Migration Failure, back to Liset" literally never happens, or maybe once a year, and I have the crappiest internet ever.

I despise Host Migrations, especially in Arbitrations where it can lead to instant-failure, but I don't really know what you're doing wrong to trigger Host Migration Failure that often.

I don't think there is any easy solution. Maybe increase the timer for the Host solo-extraction from 30 seconds to 1 minute with a specific warning in the middle of the screen (The host will extract in xx seconds), that'd be at least that. Maybe a specific marker near the Host name for Interceptions/Defenses on the Extract/Continue screen, for people who did not identify the host earlier.

I agree.

Just happened to me on Saturday,

Worst part is. Is not the first time it happened. But before hand I was upset that I lost some endo. But ok endo I can get it back again THIS time I lost the bloody Aura Forma.

Farmed for it for so long and when I got it I lost it because of Host migration because somebody exited before me.

This is just ridiculous. I created a ticket and so far they say they cannot identify my run from that day (I had ONLY the one run). 

After the low drop chance on some of them. When you finally hit the jackpot on RNG now you have to hope the game does not crash because of others.

We are not playing WITH the game we are playing AGAINST the game.

This is ridiculous 

Other problems is:

1. Migrating hosts does not pause the game. My very old topic: https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1037365-host-migration-death-fails-to-pause-while-host-migrating/ If there was no more lives left, the game will instantly fail the mission in a middle of ship flying "Migrating Hosts".

2. Some other players may connect to new host too slow when the new host extract too fast. Did the other player lost all rewards? Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/426679063

Combine both problems, and we have a problem. Here is what I am guessing what happens. 3 or 4 players squad in Arbitration. Host quit or extract. Host migrating. Then, 1 second into the ship flying "Migrating host", new host dies by enemies attacking behind the ship flying screen, and fails the mission because other players didn't connect to new host yet. A few seconds later, other players finally connects to new host... into Orbiter. Only the new host have XP, focus, and some Arbitration rotation rewards saved. No rewards for other players as a client that was too slow to connect to new host.