Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Fusion (Turn Your Outdated Weapons Into Something Good)

LegendaryNeurotoxin

TL:DR version: Adding a Forma = Polarity. Adding a Forma and a Polarized or Catalyzed Weapon gives you the polarity and catalyst. Forma and polarized weapon both disappear, the fused weapon becomes unranked. 

Weapon Fusion is a system where players can convert modifications to older weapons onto new weapons. Weapon Fusion requires 1 Forma to complete, as well as two Level 30 weapons. 

Fusion allows any improvements applied by Forma and Catalyst to be passed over from one weapon to the other, but it also destroys the weapon giving up its properties, and reverts the fused weapon to an unranked state. Any polarity that isn't stock for the weapon, plus a catalyst if it is present, will be transferred to the weapon receiving the fusion. A weapon such as Kunai with two - polarity and nothing else wouldn't transfer anything because Forma did not apply those polarities. However, a Kunai where one of the - polarity was replaced for a V or D polarity (for some reason) would pass over the applied polarity.

If the weapon already has a Catalyst, and the weapon being destroyed in the fusion process has a Catalyst... I don't know if the catalyst is recovered or not, DE would have to crunch the numbers and make that decision. 

The purpose of this system is to let players replace their outdated weapons without having to lose the quality and effort put into that weapon. For example, if I have a highly-modified Gorgon and want to make my new Soma better, I would be able to use Weapon Fusion to apply all the polarities that Gorgon received, along with the catalyst, to my new Soma as soon as I get it to level 30. 

The player would get to decide where they put in all their new polarities, though they would be restricted to polarities that were applied to the weapon being lost in the fusion process. If there is an overlap and there are more polarities than available slots, the player may also adjust previously-existing polarities by replacing them with ones from the fusion process. 

This could also be done for Warframes in basically the same way. 

My apologies for suggesting something that has likely already been suggested. I wasn't able to properly search and locate a similar topic, though I may have been searching for the wrong terms. Please direct me to any similar suggestions if you know of any!

This is a really good idea, especially for all those Prime variants, so people don't complain as much. The wasted potatoes are probably the worst problem right now, and this fixes it.

For sure. I'm not willing to sell the old potato / forma weapons in case a feature like this IS implemented, even if they will never see battle ever again. They are just taking up inventory space, and teasing me for putting Forma on a weapon that would eventually be replaced by an amazing Vandal / Wraith edition. 

Instead of a sign of resignation when a player realizes the weapon they've put months of effort into maximizing was just blown out of the water by a brand new weapon, they can joyously fuse their well-traveled weapon into the new firepower and keep all the progress they invested in their first weapon. 

I think this might ruin the "exclusiveness" for the prime, it should just be earnable through events, so as the Wraith series.

I should probably be clear about this: Weapon Fusion would NOT give players a new way to access to Prime, Vandal, or Wraith weapon varieties. Those still have to be earned and constructed.

When a player earns a new Prime, Vandal, or Wraith version of a weapon that replaces their old version, through completion of an event or finishing up Prime weapon construction, the player would be able to use Weapon Fusion to add any Forma polarity modifications (except things that came default with the weapon) and the catalyst (if present) from the old weapon to the new weapon. This would not upgrade the version of the weapon, it would only be like adding Forma and a Catalyst to a new weapon that didn't have them, while at the same time sacrificing your old customized weapon to be destroyed in the process.

One thing I haven't considered is whether or not weapons have to be in a similar category for fusion to be allowed. Items could be restricted to being fused with a similar class of weapon (primary with primary, secondary with secondary, melee with melee, drone gun with drone gun) in order to limit this system from being overused. Or not, I honestly don't think players should be restricted in this way, as Forma and Catalyst are just as exclusive regardless of where they are applied.

Edited by LegendaryNeurotoxin

I should probably be clear about this: Weapon Fusion would NOT give players a new way to access to Prime, Vandal, or Wraith weapon varieties. Those still have to be earned and constructed.

When a player earns a new Prime, Vandal, or Wraith version of a weapon that replaces their old version, through completion of an event or finishing up Prime weapon construction, the player would be able to use Weapon Fusion to add any Forma polarity modifications (except things that came default with the weapon) and the catalyst (if present) from the old weapon to the new weapon. This would not upgrade the version of the weapon, it would only be like adding Forma and a Catalyst to a new weapon that didn't have them, while at the same time sacrificing your old customized weapon to be destroyed in the process.

One thing I haven't considered is whether or not weapons have to be in a similar category for fusion to be allowed. Items could be restricted to being fused with a similar class of weapon (primary with primary, secondary with secondary, melee with melee, drone gun with drone gun) in order to limit this system from being overused. Or not, I honestly don't think players should be restricted in this way, as Forma and Catalyst are just as exclusive regardless of where they are applied.

Well, now that you mention about bring the catalyst and forma to the new weapon, that kinda ruin the idea buying potatoes from market.

But, I guess it would please those who accidentally sell or some how got their weapons deleted.

Well, now that you mention about bring the catalyst and forma to the new weapon, that kinda ruin the idea buying potatoes from market.

But, I guess it would please those who accidentally sell or some how got their weapons deleted.

It could. If necessary, DE could adjust catalyst prices, or create a Weapon Fusion Core item as an intermediary step. 

The Weapon Fusion Core would cost 1 Forma and maybe a few other things to construct, and maybe the blueprint is a low frequency drop off any boss or able to be found from alert missions. The complete item could be purchased for Platinum too, that way the loss in Catalyst sales would be compensated in Weapon Fusion Core sales. This would also add a bit of exclusivity to the Weapon Fusion process.

Does the Weapon Fusion Core system seem like a reasonable way to limit Weapon Fusion to reduce the loss of catalyst sales?

Its times like this when I would definitely be looking at the Weapon Fusion system. Galatine is an amazing weapon, but I wouldn't want to waste all the time and effort I put into my less-awesome heavy weapon when I'm ready to start using Galatine.

For someone who has very few weapon slots available in their inventory, the choice to even get a new weapon to try out and level up is weighed against the decision to wait for a different type of weapon to fill their last weapon slot. With Weapon Fusion, they be able to find out if it is a weapon they want to fuse their old weapon into, or otherwise that the new weapon isn't what they want and will be sold at level 30 to make room for the next weapon.